Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I shot a dog fox just over a week ago where the farmer had been loosing lambs. All good until I got a call again yesterday saying another had gone missing overnight.

Headed out despite the full moon and got set up in the field where the problems have been happening. 2 hours later and a couple of sets of twins born and left alone (fox has been taking them when they are being born are very soon after) I decided a quick walk was called for before I decided what to do. Quick flick with the torch picked up some bright eye shine the other side of the valley. Over to the NV and could see the fox but she wasnt hanging around, took the shot at about the 220 yard mark. She ran on but I managed to get a second shot into her very shortly after. Couldnt find her as she was in some bushes so back this morning to recover her. The farmer was about checking the lambs so was very happy to see another dead fox. He also mentioned one of the other bits of ground he rents are seeing a fox during the day and it was chasing their cat up the lane the other day so looks like my plans to give the foxes a rest are on hold.

Vixen%2011.04.2017_zpspi6rh35r.jpg

Bet the farmer was happy well done (not so welsh) Mike :lol:

great idea need one for worst picture as well might be in with chance got some shocking pics lol

No way cheeky *** thats mine before we start :lol::lol:

What about unhappiest shooter. eeeerrr no too hard to compete with babs2020 :) (like the fox on the bonnet)

Most expensive outfit eeeerrr no too hard to compete with RS :unhappy:

Loudest shooting truck eeeerrr no that's anyone with a VW that has no encrusted mud.

Smallest shooting stick. I might win depending on how you measure it. :whistling:

Another fox looking for an easy meal around the lambing field,watched him come down the fence and up onto muck heap down the other side a nice easy shot at 20 yds Missed a lot of swearing at myself and he stops at about 150yds sits there and thinks he's safe goes for a bib shot and as you can see from photo hit him a little higher No more Lamb Chops for him :lol:

post-21630-0-14363200-1492258567_thumb.jpg

Nice shooting Daieye - right in the mush by the looks of things too. :good:

After dropping that vixen a week or so ago I'd changed the scopes over and fitted the day scope to the rifle, hoping that it wouldn't be needed again until the end of summer. Unfortunately though it wasn't to be, had a call towards the end of the week about a fox (or foxes) that were giving some troubles. Popped up on Friday to look at the land and to get the paperwork signed, and headed out tonight. The landowner was a bit of s shooter himself (HMR) so had asked if he could tag along on my first visit to see how the thermal and the Drone work. Didn't mind at all but did think it would probably reduce my chances of bagging the fox first night. Got up to the permission at 9pm and myself and the landowner headed out. Thought I'd go easy and just set the caller up in a convenient spot, get the gun on the tripod and see what's about. Got set up at the top of a nice long field which sloped all the way down then lifted back up about 400 yards away, so a nice safe shot if charlie appears. Ran the caller for a while, didn't like the thought of the landowner sitting there doing nothing, staring into the darkness, so kept handing the thermal over to him for spells. After about an hour I spot a fox coming from my right in the next field. Didn't come straight to the caller but worked its way down and then came through the gate at the bottom but wouldn't come any further. Looking through the scope I reckoned she was at least 200 yards away, perhaps more, but after an earlier zeroing session after putting the Drone back on I was confident of taking the shot by just putting the crosshair towards the back-line, and let one go. Unmistakable thump of the round striking home and down it goes. I will be honest there was a certain amount of trepidation on my part as I approached the downed fox. Didn't really want to see another vixen with cubs in the earth. Thankfully, although a vixen she was barren, which was a relief, but a bit of a worry too. She could be on her own, or maybe carrying for a sibling. Will venture out tomorrow night to find out.

Shot was 241 yards. One thoroughly happy landowner!

34058854265_a647002c19_c.jpg

33929636891_990c774434_b.jpg

Daieye Excellent second shot under pressure :good:

RS well done a great shot at range. Thought that rifle was away for the summer. :innocent:

We were out on for a quick look at a new perm following drawing a blank for roe buck's earlier in the evening. Spotted three from the first vantage point :good:.

Also spotted about 10 roe in a field by the side of the drive on the way back. It looks to be a farm with potential.

Daieye Excellent second shot under pressure :good:

RS well done a great shot at range. Thought that rifle was away for the summer. :innocent:

We were out on for a quick look at a new perm following drawing a blank for roe buck's earlier in the evening. Spotted three from the first vantage point :good:.

Also spotted about 10 roe in a field by the side of the drive on the way back. It looks to be a farm with potential.

Potential alright ......many munties round your way ?

Another fox looking for an easy meal around the lambing field,watched him come down the fence and up onto muck heap down the other side a nice easy shot at 20 yds Missed a lot of swearing at myself and he stops at about 150yds sits there and thinks he's safe goes for a bib shot and as you can see from photo hit him a little higher No more Lamb Chops for him :lol:

Nice shooting Daieye - right in the mush by the looks of things too. :good:

After dropping that vixen a week or so ago I'd changed the scopes over and fitted the day scope to the rifle, hoping that it wouldn't be needed again until the end of summer. Unfortunately though it wasn't to be, had a call towards the end of the week about a fox (or foxes) that were giving some troubles. Popped up on Friday to look at the land and to get the paperwork signed, and headed out tonight. The landowner was a bit of s shooter himself (HMR) so had asked if he could tag along on my first visit to see how the thermal and the Drone work. Didn't mind at all but did think it would probably reduce my chances of bagging the fox first night. Got up to the permission at 9pm and myself and the landowner headed out. Thought I'd go easy and just set the caller up in a convenient spot, get the gun on the tripod and see what's about. Got set up at the top of a nice long field which sloped all the way down then lifted back up about 400 yards away, so a nice safe shot if charlie appears. Ran the caller for a while, didn't like the thought of the landowner sitting there doing nothing, staring into the darkness, so kept handing the thermal over to him for spells. After about an hour I spot a fox coming from my right in the next field. Didn't come straight to the caller but worked its way down and then came through the gate at the bottom but wouldn't come any further. Looking through the scope I reckoned she was at least 200 yards away, perhaps more, but after an earlier zeroing session after putting the Drone back on I was confident of taking the shot by just putting the crosshair towards the back-line, and let one go. Unmistakable thump of the round striking home and down it goes. I will be honest there was a certain amount of trepidation on my part as I approached the downed fox. Didn't really want to see another vixen with cubs in the earth. Thankfully, although a vixen she was barren, which was a relief, but a bit of a worry too. She could be on her own, or maybe carrying for a sibling. Will venture out tomorrow night to find out.

Shot was 241 yards. One thoroughly happy landowner!

34058854265_a647002c19_c.jpg

33929636891_990c774434_b.jpg

well done gentlemen. got 3 problem customers to deal with but have been spending too much time chasing antlers

cracking night headed up to a few of my local farms first farm got talking to the farmer he had a lamb killed last night so headed down to where it happened dusk was setting in fast couldn't see anything so headed to next field got set up by this time i had to use the nv spotter with no ir could see everything crystal clear nothing moving 30 min past the suddenly spotted a fox far end of the field then it vanished waited another 30 min nothing so decided to head back to other field scanned bingo fox around 200 yards moved along field and got set up by this time there was a sheep trying to protect its lamb trying to head butt fox it was running around it trying its best to get around it not safe shot with sheep and lambs around it just sat and waited for my opitunity give a little squeak had no idea i was there ran about 10 yards and sat down nice clear shot put cross on chest slowly pulling the trigger then another shows up right next to it twice the size big dog fox first vixen a lot smaller so decided go for dog first put cross on chest slowly pulled trigger bang dog goes down vixen runs another 20 yards or so stops turns around by this time gun was reloaded bang she goes down first was 123 yards second 156 yards ruger 204 lovely gun had a call around other farms nothing about one happy farmer.

post-59311-0-99474400-1492362051_thumb.jpg

cracking night headed up to a few of my local farms first farm got talking to the farmer he had a lamb killed last night so headed down to where it happened dusk was setting in fast couldn't see anything so headed to next field got set up by this time i had to use the nv spotter with no ir could see everything crystal clear nothing moving 30 min past the suddenly spotted a fox far end of the field then it vanished waited another 30 min nothing so decided to head back to other field scanned bingo fox around 200 yards moved along field and got set up by this time there was a sheep trying to protect its lamb trying to head butt fox it was running around it trying its best to get around it not safe shot with sheep and lambs around it just sat and waited for my opitunity give a little squeak had no idea i was there ran about 10 yards and sat down nice clear shot put cross on chest slowly pulling the trigger then another shows up right next to it twice the size big dog fox first vixen a lot smaller so decided go for dog first put cross on chest slowly pulled trigger bang dog goes down vixen runs another 20 yards or so stops turns around by this time gun was reloaded bang she goes down first was 123 yards second 156 yards ruger 204 lovely gun had a call around other farms nothing about one happy farmer.

Well done mate.....good healthy looking foxes. Lambs a lot safer now.

Nice shooting David. :good:

Back up to that new permission again tonight. Suspected there was more work to do there but wasn't exactly enthused at the thought of having to shoot a vixen with cubs. Needs must though so another night out was definitely needed. Parked up in the yard, got the rifle loaded, thermal on, walked 30 yards to the gate into the first field, had a quick scan and there's a fox not 50 yards away heading to my right. Quickly get the gun on the gate, gave it a squeak to hold it, and gave it the bad news. Again a bit apprehensive as I walked over to it, but relieved to find it a dog fox, good nick too. Walked up to the end of the permission without seeing anything else, so put the caller on the boundary, got comfy under a handy ash tree, and ran snowshoe on the foxpro. Barely 2 minutes goes by when I see a fox coming off the hill to the right. I let it get through the boundary and dropped it at a comfortable distance. Thought this had to be the vixen, but no, another dog fox.

For sure there's a vixen or two on that patch with cubs, but I'm going to leave them be unless I hear of another lamb being taken. I'm relatively confident one of the dogs, or the barren vixen, or even a combination of all three were responsible for the lambs going. The vixen/s have a stay of execution for now.

33697139150_fa3b2bb5a1_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake