Fox club

WelshMike

First fox last night!!

After losing 30 chickens and 13 ducks to a daylight fox I finally shot a vixen last night.

I've tried traps and they won't go in, waited out waiting for them to go after the ducks and when I was out they didn't show. Last night out of desparation, I tried my homemade fox caller, which was a Lidl bluetooth speaker and my phone with some sample fox calls. so went out last night at about 10-30 and started the speaker and waited, Nothing for about 15 minutes so I reluctantly went further down into the woods and shone my head torch about and to my amazement I saw gold amber eyes coming towards me. I waited until I could identify it was a fox and not my maine coon cat, as soon as I saw the brown grey fur, took a shot from about 25 metres with my Aya s/s loaded with AAA. First shot hit it over and then as it was moving its legs I used the other barrel and that was that!!

My first fox had taken so long and I was ecstatic as I had finally struck back, didn't stop shaking for about half an hour

Now to put the trail camera out to see how many more are down there!

Simon

Well done Simon. Its an addictive pursuit so you are now on the slippery slope :lol::lol:

I have been shooting foxes for 25 years + and still get a buzz when I get that tell tail eye shine in the lamp. Keep up the good work.

a vixen last night 1.30am. i was lucky to get her as it was blowing a hoolie and absolutely chucking it down. the IR was flaring back from the rain i could only just make her out at 100 yards.

Well done mate :good:

Back out to the chicken farm tonight as they are loosing a few and the farmer spotted one at the back of the sheds at 10.30 the other night. I wish they could learn to all go in before the pop holes close.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back out to the chicken farm tonight as they are loosing a few and the farmer spotted one at the back of the sheds at 10.30 the other night. I wish they could learn to all go in before the pop holes close.

10.30 ? You will be lucky its hardly dark by then. If its had a good feed the night before its going to be after 12

Congrats on the first one, Dragon sounds like a good effort. Welcome to the club.

We had a good night out on the rabbits bagging 17 first at dusk and then with the NV. -

I have a great picture with my new phone, but?

Anyone else having trouble with photobucket. I click a picture and it wont give me the links to load on here. :|

I've had a hard week this week at work and have not made it much past 8pm without falling asleep.

Last night I managed to get myself out of the armchair and went to my horse paddock permission hoping for a rabbit or two for the pot.

shot 3 rabbits quite quickly and just as I was about to leave a fox strutted out 75 yards away so I didn't hesitate and gave it one mil dot of hold over and it dropped like a sack of spuds.

IMG_20170609_215125_zpslpwdzg1t.jpg

IMG_20170609_215316_zpsrlslhyni.jpg

Edited by belly47

first time here, mate came up at 7.30 for a real early start at one of the farms were charlies been seen around his chicken coops, sat there with caller going for couple of hours with no joy but farmer was happy so aho, moved on to a near by farm were on arrive the farmer came running out telling us a tale of a foxes around the old brick shed two fields up, straight up there caller out and sit back and wait, farmer was spot on (for a change) a vixen with two cubs in tow but just couldn`t get a clean shot at the vixen, tried different calls but she wasn`t interested in leaving that hedgerow BUT my mate spotted another on the thermal image coming from our right a big dog fox, hit him at 215 paces so roughly 180 metres, vixen and cubs long gone decided to go back to the other farm for another look, has we got there my mate spotted a fox sat right next to the farmers coops, hit him at 95 paces say 80 metres another dog fox,two happy farmers two happy shooters.

Nice shot Belly :good:

Out in the wilds of Somerset checking for Roe and rabbits on a couple of fields. Not a great start as we were immediately surrounded by some lively young cattle that decided to follow us for 20mins or so. Soon in the next fields but no deer and no rabbits. It was still light so round to another farm to check for deer and we split up at the edge of a small copse waiting for last light. A few mins go by and I hear a shot from Bumpy and after curiosity gets the better of me I am over to see whats been bagged. Unfortunately it was a young vixen :good: rather than a deer that succumbed to the .243 at less than 20yds. A good start to the night.

Then we were off to a very likely looking farm. You know the type, lots of rough ground, undisturbed copse, and plenty of food. A few rabbits too. So Bumpy got out the HMR to test that Photon that he has been playing with for weeks and weeks and weeks :whistling: A few quick shots and four bunnies in the bag (it works :) ) so I had a go and got one too. No foxes.

Time's pressing on so off to another farm. For some reason we are out looking using the lamp leaving the rifle's in the truck. I never quite understood this bit of the plan :lol:. We see a fox and realise that we are going to need the rifle. Quickly back to the truck for the bang stick and bumpy is on the sticks. Fox is not moving to the dulcet tones of young rabbit, pheasant distress or any other of the top ten. Bumpy gets on the mouth organ and immediately its running in at speed :/. I cant see a thing as he has the NV but I can see the barrel moving down and a quick bark and it's stopped by the HMR at less than 20yds.

Not a bad night 2 fox and 5 rabbits :)

Edited by oowee

Out in the wilds of Somerset checking for Roe and rabbits on a couple of fields. Not a great start as we were immediately surrounded by some lively young cattle that decided to follow us for 20mins or so. Soon in the next fields but no deer and no rabbits. It was still light so round to another farm to check for deer and we split up at the edge of a small copse waiting for last light. A few mins go by and I hear a shot from Bumpy and after curiosity gets the better of me I am over to see whats been bagged. Unfortunately it was a young vixen :good: rather than a deer that succumbed to the .243 at less than 20yds. A good start to the night.

Then we were off to a very likely looking farm. You know the type, lots of rough ground, undisturbed copse, and plenty of food. A few rabbits too. So Bumpy got out the HMR to test that Photon that he has been playing with for weeks and weeks and weeks :whistling: A few quick shots and four bunnies in the bag (it works :) ) so I had a go and got one too. No foxes.

Time's pressing on so off to another farm. For some reason we are out looking using the lamp leaving the rifle's in the truck. I never quite understood this bit of the plan :lol:. We see a fox and realise that we are going to need the rifle. Quickly back to the truck for the bang stick and bumpy is on the sticks. Fox is not moving to the dulcet tones of young rabbit, pheasant distress or any other of the top ten. Bumpy gets on the mouth organ and immediately its running in at speed :/. I cant see a thing as he has the NV but I can see the barrel moving down and a quick bark and it's stopped by the HMR at less than 20yds.

Sounds like a good night, apart from bumpys mouth organ..... Ooo err

i would just like to point out before mike starts going on, the range these foxes were shot at were further than 20 yards :no: grants range estimation is poor i think the first one was about 23-24 :yes:

Apologies gents I have been a little absent on here due to work commitments of late.

Glad to see that the banter continues without me and some good shooting all round.

I am having fun and games trying to deal with a problem fox. I managed to see its backside in the scope before it disappeared into the woods and no amount of calling or sitting out has done the trick. To top things off the field where I normally park up is a no go due to a new horse that is a real pain in the bum. I am tempted to ask the farmer if I can shoot it to stop it charging round the field and being a general pain in the back end :lol::lol:

Off out tonight onto one of the farms I have left alone for the last few months to see what sort of size the cubs are and where they are and get some of them shot. I will also call at the chicken farm and see if I can find the fox and get it shot. Fingers crossed for some pics from me tomorrow.

i would just like to point out before mike starts going on, the range these foxes were shot at were further than 20 yards :no: grants range estimation is poor i think the first one was about 23-24 :yes:

I will let you off then as we cant condone sub 20 yard shots :lol::lol::lol:

Apologies gents I have been a little absent on here due to work commitments of late.

Glad to see that the banter continues without me and some good shooting all round.

I am having fun and games trying to deal with a problem fox. I managed to see its backside in the scope before it disappeared into the woods and no amount of calling or sitting out has done the trick. To top things off the field where I normally park up is a no go due to a new horse that is a real pain in the bum. I am tempted to ask the farmer if I can shoot it to stop it charging round the field and being a general pain in the back end :lol::lol:

Off out tonight onto one of the farms I have left alone for the last few months to see what sort of size the cubs are and where they are and get some of them shot. I will also call at the chicken farm and see if I can find the fox and get it shot. Fingers crossed for some pics from me tomorrow.

I will let you off then as we cant condone sub 20 yard shots :lol::lol::lol:

look forward to good write up mike

Who's bright idea was that :lol: Good result though at end of night :good:

not saying a word :no::lol::lol::lol::lol:

good effor

Well last night was a waste of time. The one farm is mostly covered in grass waiting to be cut and nothing showed on the other fields...no sign of the problem fox at the other farm so not a great trip out. Never mind.

good effort. you will be in the money if you can get there when the grass is off and drying

good effor

good effort. you will be in the money if you can get there when the grass is off and drying

There are cubs around as one was dead on the road at the end of the ground. I sent the farmer a text and asked him to call me once it is cut. I got out last year and had 4 cubs in the first field just after it had been cut so fingers crossed.

Hope you are behaving.....though I doubt it. :lol::lol:

And what a lovely evening it was. Sat in the seat watching the hares go about there business, wood pigeons pitching into the tree I was up against, a cracking Roe doe in full summer coat, then a brilliant 6 point beast strutting his stuff. Was just nice to sit back and watch them go about their business. No foxes seen but know they are about

And what a lovely evening it was. Sat in the seat watching the hares go about there business, wood pigeons pitching into the tree I was up against, a cracking Roe doe in full summer coat, then a brilliant 6 point beast strutting his stuff. Was just nice to sit back and watch them go about their business. No foxes seen but know they are about

Sounds a very pleasant outing but since you have not shot any foxes you are prohibited from telling us under the Fox club rules of conduct :lol::lol::lol:

Im a rule breaker.. :lol:

You are not the only one.

I dont want to cause offence but the following are rule breakers as well:

Grant and Ed...god knows where to start but ...bullying, shooting foxes to close, drinking to much cider

Mark-being a rude Geordie

Most of the rest of fox club...taking the mick out of me and my man bag fetish :lol::lol: