Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

went to one of my permissions this evening to try calling a fox, when I walked through the main gate from the road this vixen was sitting at the top of the field enjoying the sunshine. fortunately when I laid down I could get a shot over the fence which splits the field, and down she went.

.222 50gr hornady

IMG_20170906_195336.jpg

Dog and a vixen today grubbing about on ploughed pasture 9-15 AM, spotted at 200 yards but not a safe shot, couple of hand squeaks and both came slowly my way, 5 minutes later and a safe shot presented at 120 yards. First one down and second one (Vixen) didn't know which way to go or where the shot came from so had my chance again less than 20 or 25 seconds later.

First serious outing with new CZ527 (to me) .222 50 gr Hornady SP.

I'm made up, 2 down with first two targeted shots.

Edited by Good shot?

Dog and a vixen today grubbing about on ploughed pasture 9-15 AM, spotted at 200 yards but not a safe shot, couple of hand squeaks and both came slowly my way, 5 minutes later and a safe shot presented at 120 yards. First one down and second one (Vixen) didn't know which way to go or where the shot came from so had my chance again less than 20 or 25 seconds later.

First serious outing with new CZ527 (to me) .222 50 gr Hornady SP.

I'm made up, 2 down with first two targeted shots.

well done, good feeling when a new rifle delivers what you want from it Edited by belly47

Nice shooting again gents. Mark, you must be getting good numbers mate - top work. :good:

Been a bit of a struggle for me to get out lately, that's what happens when you take 2 weeks of work, you spend the next two weeks trying to catch up! :lol: Had two nights aborted last weekend because of mist. Came over a small footbridge and picked a fox up in the thermal at about 100 yards but couldn't positively I.D. it in the scope because of the mist, so abandoned it and went home.

Did manage a night out this week though. Had a text from one of my permissions saying he's smelled a fox around the yard. Popped up for a couple of hours, found a bit of a sorry looking fox sat under a tree by the yard - a bit mangy and very thin. Looked like I did him a favour. A second one a bit later in a field just below the yard, this one was in fine fettle. No calling used for either, sometimes it just pays to keep quiet and have a mooch about. Back out tonight for a joint fox/ratting session. :yes:

36291134084_b1efa9cf49_c.jpg

36938414906_bf1afbe3be_c.jpg

Good one RS! Small one looks in good nick. Was out last night. Saw 5 lovely red stags about 60 yards away so went the opposite direction to leave them be. Tried squeaking in a fox but nothing. Mrs had air rifle and saw a rabbit so I put crosshairs on it and pulled the trigger. Just as I did the little ****** ducked! He got away :( carried on walking in to a gulley with trees and the end of it and found a small vixen sat there. Rifle on sticks, safety off and a click. She stuck her head up and ran. Didn't bring the bolt back far enough and the round never chambered!!! Sat out a bit longer to see if we could see the northern lights and then it poured down :lol: better to be out than at home though so I can't grumble :lol:

Unlucky HR, dead man's click, we've all done it. :lol:

Had a night out on the big hill again last night. Went over to the far side and found a lovely spot where I could get under a tree, shoot the gun prone over a massive downhill slope that joins onto the woods. Only been sitting there half an hour when two foxes came running out of the wood and started making their way down the field. Picked out the lead fox in the scope at 200 yards but was happy with the distance being prone and dropped him with one in the neck. Crumpled into a heap but the second one bolted at the report. Waited out another couple of hours without running the caller but nothing showed so started back down the hill to pick the fox up and spotted a fox coming up towards me from the left. Got onto the Primos and dropped her at a more modest range. I knew when I took this permission on it would be holding a lot of foxes but the numbers I've been getting off this cover are crazy. I've visited the permission 6 times since August and now had 15 foxes from it, and another 8 of a farm that backs onto the same hill. There's still more to be done though, I reckon it might start to slow down now but at least as many again will need to be taken before lambing. Had an hour back at the yard with the air rifle after some rats . . .and guess what I spotted in the thermal sneaking around the back of the yard ....

36996669981_40f2b1a109_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

After a couple of weeks of foxes not wanting to play Friday night was much better sport. Out with Bumpy and we had foxes on almost all of the fields we went to. Pretty early on we noticed a zeroing issue with the HMR :lol::lol::lol: when I allowed a couple of sitters to have another few weeks in the wild. More for another day is what i say :lol::lol::lol:

Redeemed myself with a couple of head shots later in the night and bumpy managed a couple with the .243 too even if we could not find the last one when the lamp went down. So what should have been a night with 6 in the picture ended with three but still a great night out.

20170909_015432_1.jpg

Zero on the rifle was out as these pics show, of shots at 100m. Not good for accurate work.

20170909_095149_1.jpg

Tightened the mounts and reset the zero. I can't understand why its moved as i don't remember bashing it :unhappy:

20170909_101826_1.jpg

Edited by oowee

Thats not out Grant, thats new out the box out...

Glad you bagged a few though, and you have a few to get when out with a zero'd rifle

he did well as usual Adam. when there running in he did not have long. had some great responses to the call which had to be shot quick. could of done with thermal for finding the rest in some of the big stubble fields

Well done RS and Oowee ....some good results there.

Last couple of times out I haven't seen anything .....but wasn't out long. A guy lost some hens through the day .....so I set up after finding a dead hen in a very likely looking spot but nothing showed ................maybe next time.

This is what makes the sport great :):good:

One day (maybe next time) we will be well organised and the foxes will be out to play. Fingers crossed :lol:

Is mint sauce the key to success I wonder?!!

I'll be out there again soon, hopefully with something to report. If it was easy then everyone would do it & it wouldn't be so enjoyable.

Just got to placate the missus as she is questioning me spending more evenings with a dead ewe than with her! Hopefully a trip to the game fair today will do the trick!!

Went out last night with the HMR , windy and raining to shoot some ground game . I took the HMR just in case I bumped into a fox as that's what seems to happen when Im not out for them :lol:

1st farm I had just shot a hare and was picking it up , turned round and caught ruby eyes in the far hedge so got set up on the sticks and lip squeaked and had him come in lovely to around 40 yds , he went straight down :)

The rain eventually stopped and was a nice night. I then travelled to another farm and on the way a roe jumped out of the bracken and bounced off the side of my car , luckily no damage.

Couldn't believe my luck as took a 2nd fox on this farm again at around 50 yds which I stalked up on :yes:

I did see a 3rd fox but luckily for it the wind was in my back as I was walking up the hill and it scarpered .

Ended up with a nice mixed bag , think I will take the HMR out a bit more often as it is very versatile :yes:

ibsjmKo.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER1

Just curious and definitely not making a judgement on Foxhunter1's picture or actions, I wonder how many of us shoot hares when given the chance when out with the rifle.

Around here, East Anglia, we hardly ever touch them - even when out after rabbits.

On the game shoots we take one if someone particularly wants to take one home for the table - Otherwise we leave them be.

They have been struggling a bit over recent years in some parts of the country.

Good clearance FH1, top shooting again! As for the hares question, if they're causing damage and there's enough of them about I don't see any reason why a few shouldn't be taken. I don't shoot any myself because numbers are not brilliant around here.

The weather here in North Wales has bee a bit grim the last week. A constant stream of heavy showers has made venturing out with the gun a bit of a risk, so I've been waiting for a bit of a break. Tonight looked promising, but didn't want to plan a big walk in case I got caught out so decided on a smallish perm about ten minutes away. Plan was to have an hour or so after Charlie then have an hour round the yard looking for any rats that might be about.

Got to the yard, geared up, and made my way over to a nice spot that allows 360 degree views, and where a fox might come in from any direction. I decided against using a caller tonight, instead I just wanted to see what was about and didn't want to risk sending them the other way. Just sat down under the ash tree, and saw a fox up at the top hedge about 400 yards away going to my left. He was going over the brow but kind of suspected he was working the field so got on the gun prone and waited for him to come back over. He took his sweet time but after ten minutes or so he reappears back on the skyline. Still no safe shot but after a couple of minutes rooting around the skyline he finally decided to head down the the towards me. Let him get safely off the skyline and gave him a shout to stop him - nice easy shot from the prone position, no more than 120 yards, and down he goes.

Waited around for another hour or so under the ash tree but no sign of any other foxes. I could see a red lamp over to my left about half a mile away on a pheasant shoot so suspected they would also be trying to call one in, so packed the rifle away and broke out the air rifle and had an hour after some rats. Had 6 over the next hour (couldn't retrieve 2), and helped myself to a bunny for the pot which made the mistake of coming into the yard. Bit of a mixed bag.

37079846116_9a496fe002_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

Went out last night with the HMR , windy and raining to shoot some ground game . I took the HMR just in case I bumped into a fox as that's what seems to happen when Im not out for them :lol:

1st farm I had just shot a hare and was picking it up , turned round and caught ruby eyes in the far hedge so got set up on the sticks and lip squeaked and had him come in lovely to around 40 yds , he went straight down :)

The rain eventually stopped and was a nice night. I then travelled to another farm and on the way a roe jumped out of the bracken and bounced off the side of my car , luckily no damage.

Couldn't believe my luck as took a 2nd fox on this farm again at around 50 yds which I stalked up on :yes:

I did see a 3rd fox but luckily for it the wind was in my back as I was walking up the hill and it scarpered .

Ended up with a nice mixed bag , think I will take the HMR out a bit more often as it is very versatile :yes:

ibsjmKo.jpg

Nice shooting mate, shame your not closer I'd be offering to buy those hares off you, absolutely love the taste of them...we get the odd one around me in saddleworth but no real numbers..

Good clearance FH1, top shooting again! As for the hares question, if they're causing damage and there's enough of them about I don't see any reason why a few shouldn't be taken. I don't shoot any myself because numbers are not brilliant around here.

The weather here in North Wales has bee a bit grim the last week. A constant stream of heavy showers has made venturing out with the gun a bit of a risk, so I've been waiting for a bit of a break. Tonight looked promising, but didn't want to plan a big walk in case I got caught out so decided on a smallish perm about ten minutes away. Plan was to have an hour or so after Charlie then have an hour round the yard looking for any rats that might be about.

Got to the yard, geared up, and made my way over to a nice spot that allows 360 degree views, and where a fox might come in from any direction. I decided against using a caller tonight, instead I just wanted to see what was about and didn't want to risk sending them the other way. Just sat down under the ash tree, and saw a fox up at the top hedge about 400 yards away going to my left. He was going over the brow but kind of suspected he was working the field so got on the gun prone and waited for him to come back over. He took his sweet time but after ten minutes or so he reappears back on the skyline. Still no safe shot but after a couple of minutes rooting around the skyline he finally decided to head down the the towards me. Let him get safely off the skyline and gave him a shout to stop him - nice easy shot from the prone position, no more than 120 yards, and down he goes.

Waited around for another hour or so under the ash tree but no sign of any other foxes. I could see a red lamp over to my left about half a mile away on a pheasant shoot so suspected they would also be trying to call one in, so packed the rifle away and broke out the air rifle and had an hour after some rats. Had 6 over the next hour (couldn't retrieve 2), and helped myself to a bunny for the pot which made the mistake of coming into the yard. Bit of a mixed bag.

37079846116_9a496fe002_c.jpg

Love a mixed bag RS ......well done.

After speaking to the keeper yesterday he told me he had seen a fox 3 times this week in the same area so I said I would take a look. The weather once again was drizzle but I was hopeful.

I went to the aforementioned area and spotted the fox at the edge of the wood . I tried hand calling it but it didn't like it and took off :unhappy: so I climbed up the hill puffing and panting and spotted ruby eyes in the next field. I set up on my sticks due to the long grass , lit it up but it started trotting again , a quick "oi " stopped it and I dropped it at 120 yds :)

cACaBz5.jpg

I then decided to try for the fox I had seen the previous night. I set the caller up playing cub call and within no time a fox was coming in right handed from a long way out.

It disappeared into the whins above me and never showed . :unhappy: I muted caller for a while and waited then played cub call again at a lower volume and out popped the fox but I could only see its head. I placed the crosshairs between its eyes and squeezed and heard the resounding thwack come back . :)

So another brace in the bag , went home a bit damp but pleased :yahoo:

CNzbfnZ.jpg