Fox club

WelshMike

Thanks for all thr advice I do have a couple of T20 red and white LEDs and also been using a laser designator from Laserware. Its the ND 50 Glacier. Used it on the rabbits,very powerful but not yet tried it on foxes.Hopefully it will do the job.I have tried a diy night vision set up but did not get on with looking at a screen Trying not to spend anymore money for a while so hopefully my current gear will get me started.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Busy as normal! Just got in from a zeroing session and working up some loads in the 223. Load development finished with 3 rounds in 2 holes at 100 yards using the 53g vmax :D started getting dark so I sat out the way and chilled out and had a smoke. Mooched into a valley with a copse in the middle having noticed some tracks there. Night vision on, half an hour later I see a customer walking across a track I between the copse and a small wood on the opposite side. Crosshairs on it, safety off, exhaled and click. *** deadmans click forgot to load back up :lol: rounds in my rucksack so would have made too much noise getting them out. Left him for another day. Hopefully if I scoff my tea quick I can get out with the hmr on some bunnys with the dog. Getting there with the shotgun but yet to try her on rabbit's with the rifle. My concern is she will have eaten it instead of bringing it back :lol: time will tell

Edited by Hendrix's rifle

I would have got your rounds out of the bag mate , its surprising what you can get away with , not all foxes are smart. Nothing ventured nothing gained :yes:

Cant believe the amount of times I have walked up on a fox with the wind in my back and still got it , they are like people I think , some clever and some dopey :yes:

If you don't try these things you will never know , the problem I think is some people read to much stuff in mags etc and think that its the only way to do things , the best advice is see what works for you , time in the field and experience counts for a lot :yes:

I would have got your rounds out of the bag mate , its surprising what you can get away with , not all foxes are smart. Nothing ventured nothing gained :yes:

Cant believe the amount of times I have walked up on a fox with the wind in my back and still got it , they are like people I think , some clever and some dopey :yes:

If you don't try these things you will never know , the problem I think is some people read to much stuff in mags etc and think that its the only way to do things , the best advice is see what works for you , time in the field and experience counts for a lot :yes:

Probably should have, waiting to see if you can bag it! :lol: will bell you some time this week. Didn't get chance to go out with the dog as I got comfy on the sofa :lol:

Hopefully that's the little miscreant sorted Mike!

Out last night for a few hours on another older permission - nothing about. Was hoping to get out Saturday night but the weather's looking like a bag of cack.

Fingers crossed. No text from the farmer so keeping my head down :lol:

get down wind in cover try your distress calls at a reasonably low volume for short periods. in a month you will be able to use mating calls but dont expect the same results as you get from the distress calls. they will be interested but probably wont quite commit the same. you dont not need a zillion candle power lamp just a light to pick up a fox at sensible distance without lighting up every other creature in the county. keep ranges sensible and dont over call an area. just because you dont see them does not mean they are not there. bait stations are probably a good option now that temp is dropping and food supply are slowing up.

bizzarely enough you can still shoot foxes without nv well some can :lol: no matter what people tell you. but i have to admit it probably is a game changer.

get out and have a go but most importantly shoot safe. :good:

most importantly i completely forgot you DO NOT NEED A HANDBAG :no:

get posting on here

Why dont you need a Handbag ????? :lol::lol::lol:

Busy as normal! Just got in from a zeroing session and working up some loads in the 223. Load development finished with 3 rounds in 2 holes at 100 yards using the 53g vmax :D started getting dark so I sat out the way and chilled out and had a smoke. Mooched into a valley with a copse in the middle having noticed some tracks there. Night vision on, half an hour later I see a customer walking across a track I between the copse and a small wood on the opposite side. Crosshairs on it, safety off, exhaled and click. *** deadmans click forgot to load back up :lol: rounds in my rucksack so would have made too much noise getting them out. Left him for another day. Hopefully if I scoff my tea quick I can get out with the hmr on some bunnys with the dog. Getting there with the shotgun but yet to try her on rabbit's with the rifle. My concern is she will have eaten it instead of bringing it back :lol: time will tell

:lol::lol::lol::lol: At least if you had a round in the chamber you would have hit him after your nice grouping on paper :lol::lol:

We've been through this bud..

......well for the benefit of new members lets revisit the matter.

Ed started it with his man bag hatred and it spiralled out of control due to the views of a few (all from the cider drinking county) ...no need at all :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was very lucky the other night , called this vixen in with cub call but she caught my wind and heading back to the wood. Unfortunately for her she stopped for a look back , I was just squeezing off when the rifle discharged before I was ready :yes:

Obviously thought I had missed but had a nice surprise when I did the customary check , I had creased the top of its head :yes:

EjG7CfR.jpg

One unlucky girl :yes:

YarM2Qp.jpg

Well done Mark :good:

Got up my tower at 11pm last night after a fox that had been taking a goose the last two nights, had a look around with the NV spotter and was amazed to see 9 red deer laying in a goose pen about 60 yards away. Two good stags around 12/14 points three young stags and four hinds. They even stayed there when I shot a dog fox in the same pen. He had a vixen with him but she had stayed back and she took off at the shot and I waited another couple of hours but she never returned. The young stags slowly got up and wandered off about 15 minutes after I shot the fox but the others were still there when I left.

Got up my tower at 11pm last night after a fox that had been taking a goose the last two nights, had a look around with the NV spotter and was amazed to see 9 red deer laying in a goose pen about 60 yards away. Two good stags around 12/14 points three young stags and four hinds. They even stayed there when I shot a dog fox in the same pen. He had a vixen with him but she had stayed back and she took off at the shot and I waited another couple of hours but she never returned. The young stags slowly got up and wandered off about 15 minutes after I shot the fox but the others were still there when I left.

Well done on the fox mate and nice to see the deer. Sounds like a couple of nice stags as well.

Lucky decision.

Haven't been out in the dark for a while. Got the kit ready to go and then realised I'd forgotten a couple of bits - one being the NV spotter. I'm going to make a mess of this, so decide to go early in daylight and get set up. I know what I'm after - the little so and so that's been climbing up and making holes in the silage clamp sheeting. Arrive on site and ready while still dimpsey. Quick fag and load. Can't see now so start the squeaker. Two seconds in and there's something I can't see at the back of the car (the squeaker is hanging on the rear wiper). Fox shoots out left - no go - bales, turns and goes right - no go - silage clamp now well weighed down with tyres, another about turn with the lamp hard on him - confused now and into the open right in line with a 12 foot mound of earth, stops and looks. Home before half seven.

post-2987-0-91072900-1508966255_thumb.jpg

Still finding a few,

This one I missed on Monday, (not missed as in shot, silly) I packed up Monday after nothing showed after an hour of sitting out after the keeper was concerned about some flighty pheasants in the cover crops.

I wet to fetch my call, left my rifle in the truck, thinking I may need it, I thought if it ain't showed now it can wait till another night.

And yes it showed, sat 1/2 way down the hill and just sat and watched, with 100yds to the truck,and rifle, it was safe.

That was Monday, last night was Tuesday, the fox made the mistake,same path,same time.

Lucky decision.

Haven't been out in the dark for a while. Got the kit ready to go and then realised I'd forgotten a couple of bits - one being the NV spotter. I'm going to make a mess of this, so decide to go early in daylight and get set up. I know what I'm after - the little so and so that's been climbing up and making holes in the silage clamp sheeting. Arrive on site and ready while still dimpsey. Quick fag and load. Can't see now so start the squeaker. Two seconds in and there's something I can't see at the back of the car (the squeaker is hanging on the rear wiper). Fox shoots out left - no go - bales, turns and goes right - no go - silage clamp now well weighed down with tyres, another about turn with the lamp hard on him - confused now and into the open right in line with a 12 foot mound of earth, stops and looks. Home before half seven.

:lol::lol::lol: At least you were home early mate

attachicon.gif20171024_204219-800x600.jpg

Still finding a few,

This one I missed on Monday, (not missed as in shot, silly) I packed up Monday after nothing showed after an hour of sitting out after the keeper was concerned about some flighty pheasants in the cover crops.

I wet to fetch my call, left my rifle in the truck, thinking I may need it, I thought if it ain't showed now it can wait till another night.

And yes it showed, sat 1/2 way down the hill and just sat and watched, with 100yds to the truck,and rifle, it was safe.

That was Monday, last night was Tuesday, the fox made the mistake,same path,same time.

Well done :good:

Thursday night I managed 4 ....

Dog and vixen on 1st farm :)

vqn2NrU.jpg

2nd farm pulled this vixen in to 20 yards off caller from over a stream ...

vVHGeWV.jpg

Followed by a rangey shot at this cracking black bellied dog with a great brush who was lying down in the tyre track on the field ...........

Wh9ueyq.jpg

Then Friday night had this smallish vixen but unfortunately missed its sibling shortly afterwards :unhappy:

0c7bs1V.jpg

Nice going, I was out last night on this field after I saw 1 on Thursday, nothing showed. Maybe all the fireworks didn't help going on around the place.

But it was a chance to trial the new back on the truck ;-) a nice size shooting hatch that opens forward giving a nice solid rest, 2 side openings for maybe the odd winter night sit out on the rabbits and a nice stool to perch on. Something I knocked up in the shed with a few scraps.

Nicely done gents and especially Mark . Glad to see the RSPCA have dropped some tame ones off for you bud :lol::lol::lol:

I have had a lovely week of peace since shooting the dog and vixen at the chicken farm....until a text this morning. 40 + dead chickens in the pen this morning so there go my plans for the evening.....

Why cant the stupid birds find their way into the sheds and deprive the fox of an easy meal.

Looking forwards to getting out onto some of the permissions I have left alone for the year ahead of lambing as the pressure will be off until Feb/Mar.

Hopefully I will have something to report tomorrow :good:

Another 2 tonight, vixen came in to a mating call and had a visit from a 53 grain Vmax (175yds),post-2987-0-60644400-1509526141_thumb.jpg

then shortly after a chunky dog fox just happened to pass by and stopped just a tad too long under an Oak tree (190yds)post-2987-0-75154800-1509526045_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dougy

Headed over to the chicken farm last night around 7.15 p.m. Got to a spot where I could see the scene of carnage from the night before and there was the fox. Got into a shootable position (making sure the ear defenders were on) just as the fox headed behind the shed....quick look again and the fox was out in clear ground ??? I thought to myself that there may be 2 but didnt think about it for long as I dropped the fox at about 70 yards. I watched the pen for another hour or so with the NV spotter and nothing else showed so I decided to walk back to the truck before going off around the rest of the ground. I walked 10 yards and picked up fox no 2 with the lamp at about 30 yards.....off he went like a shot and disappeared....another 2 hours and no sign so headed home.

Got home about 11 and checked my top field where there are about 280 lambs of my neighbours and there was a cheeky blighter sat in the field but all didnt seem right as he sat and looked at the light and didnt run off. Drove down the lane, parked up, rifle out and on the bonnet, NV on and there he was. He had an injured back leg and one heck of a limp. Chest shot at about 50 yards and that was that.

Looks like I will be back out to the chicken farm again for the next few nights to see if I can catch up with the other one.