Fox club

WelshMike

Good work Gents.

Back out after Charlie last night, first time in a while. Just a couple of hours at a local permission. Has been relatively fox-free all year but with dispersal I thought there might be one or two moving in. Only saw the one fox, a nice dog that came into the caller after 30 minutes. Good to get back at them.

37385924934_823a398a61_c.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good work Gents.

Back out after Charlie last night, first time in a while. Just a couple of hours at a local permission. Has been relatively fox-free all year but with dispersal I thought there might be one or two moving in. Only saw the one fox, a nice dog that came into the caller after 30 minutes. Good to get back at them.

37385924934_823a398a61_c.jpg

:good: Well done bud.

imgur ....really easy to use.

Cheers Mark. My posts look a little bit crappy without any pics :lol:

Pictures look good chaps.

We were out friday and had a most amusing night. We have a lovely hill side that allows a view in 3 directions. Spotted a vixen at about 300m a little close to a skyline for a shot. Dog mating call had her singing back to us for 10 mins or so and then another came in at the bottom of the hill traversing across listening to our serenade. We tried different calls but could not entice either of them into a shootable position. Drew a blank but it was great fun trying.

Went to another hill and had a quick look to see nothing. Climbed the gate to get to the middle of the track at the bottom of the slope. Another scan and a fox at 220m was dropped by Edd with the .243. Unfortunately no picture as it managed to get into a hedge and despite our best efforts, we could not locate it.

On 11/2/2017 at 4:54 PM, Dougy said:

Mike, do you shoot in the raw ? As in no mod ???

BOOM !!!

I do at the moment mate as I am waiting for a new sound mod..not much fun for anything or anyone in the local area so emergency use only. Hopefully I can get the mod sorted at the end of this week and leave the ear defenders at home. 

18 hours ago, oowee said:

Pictures look good chaps.

We were out friday and had a most amusing night. We have a lovely hill side that allows a view in 3 directions. Spotted a vixen at about 300m a little close to a skyline for a shot. Dog mating call had her singing back to us for 10 mins or so and then another came in at the bottom of the hill traversing across listening to our serenade. We tried different calls but could not entice either of them into a shootable position. Drew a blank but it was great fun trying.

Went to another hill and had a quick look to see nothing. Climbed the gate to get to the middle of the track at the bottom of the slope. Another scan and a fox at 220m was dropped by Edd with the .243. Unfortunately no picture as it managed to get into a hedge and despite our best efforts, we could not locate it.

Sounds like fun, well done gents. 

Out for a few hours tonight. I'd set a trail cam up with 3 dead rabbits over a month ago but with other things going on I've not had a chance to get back up to the permission until tonight. Got geared up at the yard and walked through the top gate up to the fence line and had a quick scan with the thermal, up the field towards where the cam was set up. Couted 5 badgers rooting around, but noticed something by a bush on the other side of the next fence. Got onto the fence post, switched the drone on and sure enough it was charlie, making his was along the fence. He stopped to look at me and that was enough time to put him down. Nice 150 yard shot fence-to-fence.

38170261956_3c4fd4f7d7_c.jpg

38225709171_f99a132332_c.jpg

Checked the trail cam after picking the fox up. He'd first come to the rabbits the second night they were out - took one a night for the next 3 nights, then called in regularly over the next few weeks in case there's been another food drop. I've never been convinced foxes are as regular on thier trips around their range as some may suggest - unless it's leaving cover in the evening or heading back in the morning. Over the month + that the cam had been out he appeared about 15 different evenings, but completely random times, from 21:00 the earliest, to 6:15 the latest. Certainly timed his visit poorly tonight!

38194269282_b15b6ec071_z.jpg

7 hours ago, racing snake said:

Out for a few hours tonight. I'd set a trail cam up with 3 dead rabbits over a month ago but with other things going on I've not had a chance to get back up to the permission until tonight. Got geared up at the yard and walked through the top gate up to the fence line and had a quick scan with the thermal, up the field towards where the cam was set up. Couted 5 badgers rooting around, but noticed something by a bush on the other side of the next fence. Got onto the fence post, switched the drone on and sure enough it was charlie, making his was along the fence. He stopped to look at me and that was enough time to put him down. Nice 150 yard shot fence-to-fence.

Checked the trail cam after picking the fox up. He'd first come to the rabbits the second night they were out - took one a night for the next 3 nights, then called in regularly over the next few weeks in case there's been another food drop. I've never been convinced foxes are as regular on thier trips around their range as some may suggest - unless it's leaving cover in the evening or heading back in the morning. Over the month + that the cam had been out he appeared about 15 different evenings, but completely random times, from 21:00 the earliest, to 6:15 the latest. Certainly timed his visit poorly tonight!

Worked out perfect top job  :) , I find they usually come regularly to a station but can still give you the slip at times .

Looking for a drone myself but can't find one :( 

11 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nicely done as usual mate :good:

1 hour ago, racing snake said:

Might be worth getting on the Drone FB page Fruity. Occasionally one will come up for sale on there but they get snapped up almost immediately. NVUK have got some X15 in, and I think there's some X10 due in anytime.

Yes I'm on those waiting patiently :). 

Optics warehouse had a few but by time I'd spotted the post on fb theyd gone .

Want a x10 ideally 

I headed out with the peace destroying cannon :lol::lol: last night for the last time as my new moderator is ready to be collected...thank heavens. I have only been heading to the chicken farm as the foxes are being a real pain this year. Quick walk round the ground and picked up a fox in the bottom field. Slightly awkward spot so a lot of messing about to get a sensible shot...and a lot of sheep poo all over me (no rude comments please gents :lol:) . Fox was about 150 yards so a nice sensible shot. The rifle barked and woke up most of the valley...and off ran the fox......poop....I couldnt follow the fox with the scope as my view was obscured but no sign of the fox so a miss (unless the farmer finds the fox today (I did text him to check for me)). Not a good start....

Headed over to the other side of the farm next to the river and spotted a fox in the rough ground on the far side. The family own ground on both sides so no issues with shooting the fox. Got set up for the shot but the fox was in a lot of thick cover. A bit of calling got it to within 100 yards and a loud "Oi" stopped it long enough for a chest shot. No pic as I dint have my waders to go and get him :lol: 

8 hours ago, WelshMike said:

I headed out with the peace destroying cannon :lol::lol: last night for the last time as my new moderator is ready to be collected...thank heavens. I have only been heading to the chicken farm as the foxes are being a real pain this year. Quick walk round the ground and picked up a fox in the bottom field. Slightly awkward spot so a lot of messing about to get a sensible shot...and a lot of sheep poo all over me (no rude comments please gents :lol:) . Fox was about 150 yards so a nice sensible shot. The rifle barked and woke up most of the valley...and off ran the fox......poop....I couldnt follow the fox with the scope as my view was obscured but no sign of the fox so a miss (unless the farmer finds the fox today (I did text him to check for me)). Not a good start....

Headed over to the other side of the farm next to the river and spotted a fox in the rough ground on the far side. The family own ground on both sides so no issues with shooting the fox. Got set up for the shot but the fox was in a lot of thick cover. A bit of calling got it to within 100 yards and a loud "Oi" stopped it long enough for a chest shot. No pic as I dint have my waders to go and get him :lol: 

Unlucky with the first one Mike, but got the second one bagged up :good: Glad to hear the mod's inbound. Can hear the chuffin bang from my house. :lol: