WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice work Mark :good:.

Couple of hours out for me tonight. Up to the big hill again, not the main section but another small farm that backs onto the other side. Parked up and made my way through the yard towards the first field. Yard exit was really muddy after the rain and machinery use, was squelching through thing "Christ, foxes will be hearing me from miles away!". Got into the first field and had a quick scan; after all the racket I wasn't expecting to see anything. Scanned from right to left, go to the hedge line that sloped down away from me and see a heat signature under the tree about 50 yards away. I was convinced it was the farm cat, no way a fox would still be there, but got the gun on the sticks just to confirm. Flicked the Drone on and it's a fox sat under the tree looking straight at me. Big mistake by her there, and her last - straight between the eyes. Worked my over the three fields to the end of the perm and got myself sat under my favourite ash tree, caller out about 80 yards in front of me, and ran beer-can for a couple of minutes. Almost immediately a fox comes tearing over the slope on the left, heading straight for the caller. Quickly got it on mute and got on the scope, gave him a squeak to stop him and put him down. Really big dog! Stayed around for another hour or so but nothing else about. Out onto the big hill of Friday (weather permitting).

26497631509_c1acbd3308_c.jpg

12 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice work Mark :good:.

Couple of hours out for me tonight. Up to the big hill again, not the main section but another small farm that backs onto the other side. Parked up and made my way through the yard towards the first field. Yard exit was really muddy after the rain and machinery use, was squelching through thing "Christ, foxes will be hearing me from miles away!". Got into the first field and had a quick scan; after all the racket I wasn't expecting to see anything. Scanned from right to left, go to the hedge line that sloped down away from me and see a heat signature under the tree about 50 yards away. I was convinced it was the farm cat, no way a fox would still be there, but got the gun on the sticks just to confirm. Flicked the Drone on and it's a fox sat under the tree looking straight at me. Big mistake by her there, and her last - straight between the eyes. Worked my over the three fields to the end of the perm and got myself sat under my favourite ash tree, caller out about 80 yards in front of me, and ran beer-can for a couple of minutes. Almost immediately a fox comes tearing over the slope on the left, heading straight for the caller. Quickly got it on mute and got on the scope, gave him a squeak to stop him and put him down. Really big dog! Stayed around for another hour or so but nothing else about. Out onto the big hill of Friday (weather permitting).

26497631509_c1acbd3308_c.jpg

Well done mate. Me and grant went out last night to one of the golf courses saw a few but only one shot presented itself and grant pulled off a great shot with hmr. Thermal seemed to work really well last night as everything was very cold but still. Be interesting to see how soon before they start pairing up. Be a change of tactics with the calls soon. although recently we have not been calling at all as they are to educated to it 

8 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Well done mate. Me and grant went out last night to one of the golf courses saw a few but only one shot presented itself and grant pulled off a great shot with hmr. Thermal seemed to work really well last night as everything was very cold but still. Be interesting to see how soon before they start pairing up. Be a change of tactics with the calls soon. although recently we have not been calling at all as they are to educated to it 

Cheers Ed. Grant back from his jaunt around the Med then? :lol:. Yes thermal is noticeably better when it's cold (dry air). When it's right you can see for miles with it. I'm the same as you, don't call as the first option, they soon get wary to it but it's behaviour you only notice with the thermal as the calling is the only thing that they're aware of. Tried a calling vixen briefly last night but not with any conviction. Won't be far off though. :good:

18 minutes ago, racing snake said:

Cheers Ed. Grant back from his jaunt around the Med then? . Yes thermal is noticeably better when it's cold (dry air). When it's right you can see for miles with it. I'm the same as you, don't call as the first option, they soon get wary to it but it's behaviour you only notice with the thermal as the calling is the only thing that they're aware of. Tried a calling vixen briefly last night but not with any conviction. Won't be far off though. :good:

yes noticed friday when it was very misty, damp air that the thermal was not as clear. but saying that we were seeing them at good distance. it certainly is a game changer as grant says. for me it is so interesting to watch them go about there usual behaviour undisturbed you learn so much. you never learn anything from a dead one. from a very young age i was carrying a car battery and huge lamp across fields with my dad and to evolve to where we are now is quite something. TECHNOLOGY:lol:

Nice pair RS.....

They are pairing up already have been for a couple of weeks , I have shot 2 pairs so far. I was out last night and a fox was screaming its head off in the wood , I tried the dog fox mating call and pulled it out of the wood, unfortunately it came out downwind and never hung about for a shot.....

Edited by FOXHUNTER1

This Dog fox gave me a bit of a run around last night,first saw him at 6pm but no safe shot with the M4 behind him.Eventually caught up with him in amongst the sheep so no shot again,so just had to be patient as he wouldn't come in to a call. He eventually gave me a shot out in some long grass,left the Dog by the fence and went to collect the fox only had a small torch so couldn't find him,so back for her and she soon finds him and tries to carry him back towards me. Rain then stops play and back home by 9pm

20171110_202552-1.jpg

20171110_202535.jpg

Edited by Daieye

RS sure your missus has told you but that's a big one :lol:

Daieye the tricky ones are the best, good work. :good: Having seen the mange on some i won't let my dog near them. 

I have a bait station set up in field behind my kitchen window.  Was not allowed out last night :unhappy: so set up in the kitchen watched two in the top field but no show on the bait. Had to go early to bed :) bait has gone this morning. 

Nice one Grant, the other one will follow soon enough I'm sure.

A few hours out on the hill tonight. Walked along the bottom edge then climbed up to one of my favourite vantage points. Huge field that drops down and flattens out near the river at the bottom. Sat under the oak waiting, I was expecting any fox that appears to come out of the wood in front of me, but after half an hour I spot a fox coming along the river bank down below me. Got the gun on the sticks and gave him a shout (he was a fair distance away), got him scoped up and put him down. Another chunky fella. Spotted another one later on by the farm but was always heading away from me. It'll keep until next time. Managed to pick up another 750 acres that joins onto the permission this week. Going to busy this winter.

24502181138_ecae05efb9_c.jpg

13 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice one Grant, the other one will follow soon enough I'm sure.

A few hours out on the hill tonight. Walked along the bottom edge then climbed up to one of my favourite vantage points. Huge field that drops down and flattens out near the river at the bottom. Sat under the oak waiting, I was expecting any fox that appears to come out of the wood in front of me, but after half an hour I spot a fox coming along the river bank down below me. Got the gun on the sticks and gave him a shout (he was a fair distance away), got him scoped up and put him down. Another chunky fella. Spotted another one later on by the farm but was always heading away from me. It'll keep until next time. Managed to pick up another 750 acres that joins onto the permission this week. Going to busy this winter.

24502181138_ecae05efb9_c.jpg

Good work mate. That will keep you going 7 nights a week. Got one today in a cage from a small holding round the corner. Baited up a new farm with a dozen pheasant carcasses so should get some sport tonight

On 11/7/2017 at 19:32, racing snake said:

Unlucky with the first one Mike, but got the second one bagged up :good: Glad to hear the mod's inbound. Can hear the chuffin bang from my house. :lol:

:lol: got the mod on Friday, just need 5 mins to get it christened. 

Good shooting gents and well done to RS on some more ground. I am seriously struggling with time at the moment so letting the side down. At least the rest of you guys are making up for it though :lol: Keep up the good work. 

After speaking to Ed yesterday I realised that I was letting the side down and making excuses for not getting out :lol: so out I headed. 

Over to my usual haunt of the chicken farm. After a bit of wandering I spotted a fox but as usual in a bad position, a long way away and not inclined to hang around. I gave it a quick squeak and off it ran so this is not a tactic to employ again. Headed through one of the pens and spotted some nice eye shine across the river but couldnt get a shot. Moved about 150 yards and spotted the fox who curled up in some cover, quick squeak and it trotted in to about 70 yards and was met by a 58 grain BT in its chest. Its so nice having a sound mod back on the rifle. As I cant swim very well I left the fox where it was :lol:

Headed to farm 2 for an hour, no sign of anything. 

Over to farm 3, first field, spotted a nice bit of eye shine. Over to the NV and saw a fox pulling at a dead ewe. Got into a shootable position at about 100 yards (prone) and number 2 was down. No pic as the fox was a heck of a mess. Nice big dog fox in lovely nick. 

The heavens then opened so off home to bed :good:

Out for a few hours tonight. Thought it would be a good idea to catch up on some permissions before starting on that new block next week. First stop was frustrating! Had a walk around the permission with nothing seen, but as I had another place to visit I didn't really have time to sit and wait too long tonight, so got the caller out for ten minutes. Nothing initially, then as a last chance I tried a vixen call. Spotted a fox come over the brow to my right but the little ****** just sat on the brow, looking down at the caller. Where I was sat I had no chance of moving without being seen, so tried everything to get him off the brow, but after ten minutes or so he just turns his back and disappeared into the night.

Second perm was a bit better. Only a very small permission this one, about 40 acres, but with some nice land on the boundaries if they're up for the caller they'll come in. First one blasted in to the beer can almost immediately. She ran in so fast, I got the caller on mute, got on the gun but couldn't see her, back on the thermal and she's past the caller and heading straight at me about 30 yards away. Pushed the mute button on the caller again and she turned back round and headed up to it at a more reasonable pace this time. Got her in the scope and took the shot. Saw another fox showing a half-hearted interest  but wouldn't commit and he disappeared from view whilst still in the next field. Thought he'd gone down to the ditch line and made his way off, so gave it another ten minutes, then went to pick the caller up. As I was walking up to where the caller was I had a quick scan down towards the ditch and I spot the fox sat under a tree about 70 yards away. Quickly on the sticks, could get eye-shine through the branches of the tree but couldn't get 100% confirmation. Gave him a few mouth squeaks which convinced him to get up and move further out from the tree - straight into the scope and bang. Cracking dog to go with the vixen.

24574706418_4c691e6680_c.jpg

20 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice going Mike. Glad to hear Ed's pep talk worked. Expect you out every night now.

Dont get carried away mate. Had planned to be deer stalking this weekend but thats just had to be put on hold. Life seems to conspire against shooting at the moment :lol:

16 hours ago, babs2020 said:

well done there mate  never fun when the rain comes 

Cheers Buddy. Not a fan of getting soaked given its supposed to be fun :)

11 hours ago, racing snake said:

Out for a few hours tonight. Thought it would be a good idea to catch up on some permissions before starting on that new block next week. First stop was frustrating! Had a walk around the permission with nothing seen, but as I had another place to visit I didn't really have time to sit and wait too long tonight, so got the caller out for ten minutes. Nothing initially, then as a last chance I tried a vixen call. Spotted a fox come over the brow to my right but the little ****** just sat on the brow, looking down at the caller. Where I was sat I had no chance of moving without being seen, so tried everything to get him off the brow, but after ten minutes or so he just turns his back and disappeared into the night.

Second perm was a bit better. Only a very small permission this one, about 40 acres, but with some nice land on the boundaries if they're up for the caller they'll come in. First one blasted in to the beer can almost immediately. She ran in so fast, I got the caller on mute, got on the gun but couldn't see her, back on the thermal and she's past the caller and heading straight at me about 30 yards away. Pushed the mute button on the caller again and she turned back round and headed up to it at a more reasonable pace this time. Got her in the scope and took the shot. Saw another fox showing a half-hearted interest  but wouldn't commit and he disappeared from view whilst still in the next field. Thought he'd gone down to the ditch line and made his way off, so gave it another ten minutes, then went to pick the caller up. As I was walking up to where the caller was I had a quick scan down towards the ditch and I spot the fox sat under a tree about 70 yards away. Quickly on the sticks, could get eye-shine through the branches of the tree but couldn't get 100% confirmation. Gave him a few mouth squeaks which convinced him to get up and move further out from the tree - straight into the scope and bang. Cracking dog to go with the vixen.

24574706418_4c691e6680_c.jpg

Top job as usual mate. Both in lovely nick.