WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, racing snake said:

Cold by the weekend though mate. Get the filter in sharpish because it'll be all systems go in a day or two.

:lol: Flippin filter is a complicated old lark as its a big beast and I havent exactly figured out the mess of plumbing in the house yet. Think I will go and clear my head with a couple of nights with the rifle. I am looking forward to getting out and about again especially as the new sound mod is fitted. 

15 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Aye cold snap due mate , I am off for 9 days from Saturday so hoping to catch up with a few foxes and roe hopefully....

Good luck Mark. If you get bored pop down as I have a few jobs you can do for me :lol::lol:

Fox,s are definitely pairing up now round my way.Thought it would be a good idea to get out for a bit after all the wind and rain we have had.Flask of coffee and packet of baccy and im off to my usual spot for a wait in the cold.Walked into the farm yard and clambered up the hay bails,set the rifle up and turned the nv on to make sure everything is working ok and spot 2 pairs of eyes bouncing about in the rape.thought they were a couple of hares but zoomed in to check.2 fox,s chasing around.Ranged them at 276yds.The rape is quite high and I could only get a clear view when they wondered into the tracks.tried calling but no interest at all so decided to wait it out and see if they came in any closer.After a frustrating wait of 10mins I ranged the furthest at 196yds and the closest at 185yds.Couldnt wait any longer as my fingers were numb.Took the furthest first and the other ran a further 50yds up the field and stopped for a look back,cross hair on the top of its shoulder and down that one went aswell...took me longer to find em than to shoot em...Dog and vixen and on my way home without even opening my flask....Result.. 

Edited by rangey

Weather's been putting the mockers on the fox trips for the last week, but being a Saturday I was determined to get out tonight. Conditions weren't the best, short duration dry spells interspersed with sudden and extremely heavy hail and rain showers were set for the night. Apprehensively I decided to chance my luck on the big hill. Probably not the ideal location given the weather, but a text earlier in the day from the farmer saying he'd seen a fox the previous night by one of the sheds convinced me to at least try and find it. Half hour drive to perm was relatively dry, but no sooner had I got geared up and making my way up the hill, a sudden shower had me scurrying for cover. Soon passed though so I continued my climb up and left, to the far corner where I planned to run the caller for a spell (really wasn't the ideal night to be walking around). Nothing seen on the walk up, so got the caller set up on the far side of a field, back to the gun, but before I had a chance to get going another almighty shower hit. This one was bad enough to have me climbing the fence and hunkering down behind the meager cover provided by a leaf-less and wind blown hawthorn. Had a quick scan as the hail belted down, and to my extreme frustration I see a fox legging it through the field, like me, heading for cover. The shower was that intense I didn't even contemplate getting a shot at it. Thought best to just wait it out and see it it comes back to the caller. Another 5 minutes pass and the rain/hail relents, so hop back over the fence, gun on the sticks and run the vixen call. Kept watching the spot where the fox had gone through the fence, and sure enough after a couple of minutes he comes back through the same place, looking for the amorous vixen. Sadly for him all he found was me and 53 grains of bad news. Given the direction he initially came from (the general direction of the farm) I was hopeful it might have been the one seen the previous night.

38646057401_4763de40f5_c.jpg

The sight of another spell of rain heading down the valley was enough to convince me to get the hell off the hill, and have a bit of a look around the few fields around the yard (and more importantly, the close proximity of cover in the car). Tracked back down off the hill with nothing seen to begin with, but as I near the farm (but well above it) I spot a fox mooching around a stack of big bales on the valley floor below me. Way too far off for a shot, but picked the pace up, got through the yard, down the track and waited at the gate of a field where I thought he should appear next. Waited....and waited....and waited, and then started to think he'd turned around and headed back. Was just about to dash back down the track, a quick last scan of the field and up pops Charlie in the far corner. Reckoned this was definitely the one spotted last night so didn't want to fluff this shot. Got the gun on the sticks and keeled down in about 3 inches of cold wet mud, but concentrated on making the shot at the fox about 150 yards away. Gave him a squeak to get his attention, cross-hairs on the shoulder and let one go - instantly see him drop in the Drone, followed a split second later by the solid thump. Second dog for the night. Ran the vixen call for another 45 minutes or so, but another approaching deluge, this time accompanied by a few flashes of lightning was enough to convince me that it was time to get the hell out of Dodge.

38646074941_48d9b0bd54_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

Well done both, good results there. 

I ventured out on Thursday as it was the first break in the weather so was hopeful to see a few. Got out and there wasn’t a breath of wind which I was surprised at. First field I saw 2 of which one was away on his toes and the other looked like he curled up & went to sleep to a squeaking melody! Couldn’t find him until he bolted a few yards away in the dark. Stopped him at about 100 yds but he didn’t hang around for a shot. Continued round and picked him up in a hedge at about 50 yds. Got on the sticks but could only see his head. Took the shot & missed clean! Wondering if my scope had been knocked as I was confident I did everything right I decided I must have just missed & carried on. Picked another fox up at about 150 yds hunting. He wasn’t interested in the call so decided to try & flank him. Got into position but he had gone into a small copse. Stalked round the outside to see him in the copse sitting looking at me! On sticks crosshairs on his chest, bang, another miss! Fox trotted off stopping periodically so must have missed by some way.

Dejected I trudged back thinking either I was now a **** shot or my scope had indeed been knocked, either way no point carrying on. :sad1:

All in all I had an absolute mare. Saw 4 more on walk to car too! Checking zero of scope today. 

Nice work again RS , it certainly looks wet.

I headed out Friday night to catch up with a fox I had seen a few nights earlier. Spotted it mooching about in amongst some sheep , the wind was wrong for me and it disappeared into the wood below. Tried calling and it emerged from wood to the gekkering call but once again downwind so it started moving away , I switched to the mating call which held its attention.

It was around 400 yds away so I stalked in to it whilst the call held its attention I got closer and closer until I was around 200 yds away, I then sent a 100 grainer which dropped this vixen on the spot :)

JtapgFC.jpg

Saturday night a different farm , spotted a fox at top of the field in amongst a hedge. Another sneak in to around 130 yds and dropped this dog fox ....

Ppje0ln.jpg

Good work all round as usual gents. 

The fire was to nice to go out on Thursday night and I had to drink a few glasses of wine on Friday :lol:

Saturday...no excuses so headed out to one of the farms I hadnt been to for a few months. The heavens opened and I got soaked and saw nothing. Farm 2 was the same so headed home. Got home and opened the gate to go down the drive and had a quick shine with the torch to see a pair of bright eyes. The eye shine wasnt immediately identifiable as a Fox but I thought I would have a check with the NV. Rifle out of the truck and onto the bonnet and confirmed it was a fox. 70 yard chest shot and back down to the house. 

Went to pick the fox up in the morning to find a lovely vixen. 

jKBypkO.jpg 

After my forgettable night on Thursday I checked my zero on Sunday to find it to be 3 inches to the right!

With that sorted and the dog walked I decided to have a couple of hours on the hill on Sunday afternoon as the farmer has said he had seen a fox on a few mornings in that area. It was cold but nice to be out in the daylight.

About 45 minutes later this vixen appeared in the field below me hunting. Had to wait until she presented a safe shot with no sheep around her and dropped her at 110 yards.

IMG_2690.JPG.dbcfd9d7a81eba642cc67169a3d1a5fe.JPG

3 hours ago, Strongman said:

After my forgettable night on Thursday I checked my zero on Sunday to find it to be 3 inches to the right!

With that sorted and the dog walked I decided to have a couple of hours on the hill on Sunday afternoon as the farmer has said he had seen a fox on a few mornings in that area. It was cold but nice to be out in the daylight.

About 45 minutes later this vixen appeared in the field below me hunting. Had to wait until she presented a safe shot with no sheep around her and dropped her at 110 yards.

IMG_2690.JPG.dbcfd9d7a81eba642cc67169a3d1a5fe.JPG

Nicely done mate :good:

Well I was out again last night , my mate brought his Pulsar Helion Thermal for me to use and all I can say is what awesome kit it is :yes:

1st stand called in a vixen using the dog fox mating call , she came in within 10 mins . I could actually see her coming through a wood 250 yds away.

HgtjAe5.jpg

Called this dog fox in on another stand using vixen on heat call , he appeared from nowhere just looking at the  caller 20 yds away from him .

VYZwUcR.jpg

Good nights calling , very impressed with the thermal.

16 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Unfortunately not mate , I am but a poor peasant , cant afford such luxuries .....

I totally agree...about you being a Peasant anyway :lol::lol:

14 hours ago, racing snake said:

Ah, can relate to that mate. Had to lease the children out to clean chimneys to finance mine. Sure, they moaned to start with, but told them it would be character-building.

:lol: I though you sold your kidney to start off with mate. Suppose you only have one so good thinking with getting the kids to contribute :lol::lol:

The peasant was out again last night , without thermal this time. Tried a small piece of land that I never bother hoping their was a resident fox there. Set out the caller playing dog fox mating call and within 30 seconds this vixen came through the hedge and was taken at 50 yds .............a very quick call indeed.

YlNkytz.jpg

3 hours ago, WelshMike said:

I totally agree...about you being a Peasant anyway :lol::lol:

:lol: I though you sold your kidney to start off with mate. Suppose you only have one so good thinking with getting the kids to contribute :lol::lol:

Ah yeah, I remember a kidney being exchanged for something, but sure that was for the Drone, and I'm positive it was the wife's kidney, not mine. :lol:

9 minutes ago, racing snake said:

Ah yeah, I remember a kidney being exchanged for something, but sure that was for the Drone, and I'm positive it was the wife's kidney, not mine. :lol:

:lol::lol: gets worse.  

44 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

The peasant was out again last night , without thermal this time. Tried a small piece of land that I never bother hoping their was a resident fox there. Set out the caller playing dog fox mating call and within 30 seconds this vixen came through the hedge and was taken at 50 yds .............a very quick call indeed.

YlNkytz.jpg

Peasantastic indeed Mark :good:

Went out last night, first time for a few weeks we've had a few ducks killed over the weekend got up the tower at 11.30 heater on three shutters closed wind behind me. It was so warm in there I had to take off my jacket. The fox a vixen turned up at 2.45 an easy shot at 105 yards and on the way home I flicked the lamp over an empty field and spotted a big dog about 60 yards away he had carried a duck about 1/4 mile and was eating it, he ran off. I sat in the van and waited and back he came after 30 minutes. So a long night but it was worth it.

hi guy here  1 fox i had few week ago when could not upload  pics  my  mate was shooting he  usual lamps for me  i spot fox in some cover he   says i am  not sure what it is thinks its a cat so  i get up  on roof of truck and can see its a fox but as ran to edge of field good 200 yards plus  so mate as a shot bang fox running in cover my  mates says  **** this you take over so drove around road to were fox looked like is was heading  mate says it there so  ia m out of truck on bonnet  cant see any thing  through scope  was only 40 yards away starts to  run mate shout s it  turned and stopped  80 yards  goodnight the second  was 120 yard shot  0wKpJOb.jpgDvIdjKS.jpg

Headed out last night to have a look round 4 farms. 

Farms 1, 2 and 3 drew a blank but I was hoping the last one would be productive. I only started shooting there earlier this year and can only shoot it over Dec, Jan and Feb because of various reasons including lambing and mad local residents. :lol: The ground is about 70 acres and consist of a nice steep hill to get the heart rate up on a cold night and a good flat field on the top of the hill. 

Arrived and after about 2 minutes spotted a fox mooching about around the 150 yard mark, Quick squeak didnt do much so when she turned I sent 58 grains of bad luck her way. Lovely big vixen: 

rBr4dXU.jpg 

Headed up the bank and after a bit of huffing and puffing set the caller up. Mix of vixen and dog for 5 minutes and then onto the gekkering call. Flash of eyes coming across the next field so set got set up behind the rifle just as the fox cleared a stone wall. She stopped for a quick look and that ended her night with a 100 yard neck shot. Another lovely vixen and a good start  for this piece of ground. 

sZOa3rZ.jpg