Fox club

WelshMike

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:34, oowee said:

Foxhunter i think the whole thing was abandoned when it became clear most were heading my way  I was loosing out on most attractive man bag but but the rest were all sown up ;)

Yep theres only one winner for the handbag category :yes:

Glad to see a few results , I struggled this week , been out 3 nights and blanked . Friday night called one in but it decided to stay safe behind a hedge and not commit :unhappy:

I find they always get trickier round about now as there aren't a lot left on my grounds and they are the smart ones.

Never mind will continue trying as you never know what each night will bring.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good stuff Grant and RS, good to see people are still getting a few. They certainly are getting wiser now. The chicken killer has shown the last two nights but not presented a shot. First night he sat on top of a muck heap looking my way and eventually sloped off back to the big wood. Last night he appeared by the scene of crime but among the sheep and disappeared as quickly as he appeared. He didn’t seem interested in the hen I had staked out as bait either. The snow will put pay to another night tonight as I am snowed in, which is a shame as I woukd have liked to sort him out.

Keep up the good work, it may be a few days until I can get out!

7 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Good stuff Grant and RS, good to see people are still getting a few. They certainly are getting wiser now. The chicken killer has shown the last two nights but not presented a shot. First night he sat on top of a muck heap looking my way and eventually sloped off back to the big wood. Last night he appeared by the scene of crime but among the sheep and disappeared as quickly as he appeared. He didn’t seem interested in the hen I had staked out as bait either. The snow will put pay to another night tonight as I am snowed in, which is a shame as I woukd have liked to sort him out.

I have one which sounds like your chicken killer, here at my house. I keep seeing it, but it's ignoring the bait and i can't help thinking its testing the security every night?Much snow by you then? Here a little on the hills last night and it's snowing now but i don't think it will last.

30 minutes ago, oowee said:

I have one which sounds like your chicken killer, here at my house. I keep seeing it, but it's ignoring the bait and i can't help thinking its testing the security every night?Much snow by you then? Here a little on the hills last night and it's snowing now but i don't think it will last.

We’ve had about a foot overnight,it wasn’t snowing at about 1 when I got in from last nights outing! Probably another couple of inches this morning.

I can’t help thinking mine is just testing. The ground is very much in his favour so he can approach from any direction undetected. So far ignored the bait and not really interested in calls. I will persevere and no doubt learn from him!

Well done Stuart and Grant

Went to a local permission on Friday and decided to wait over looking a wood, i had seen a fox last time at 9pm but couldn't get a shot and it bolted when I tried to call it in,so no calling tonight just sit and wait it out .It was now 10.30 bloody freezing now,just try a few calls before I head home,vixen call nothing, hand squeak nothing,gekkering call and there's a vixen 20 yds away.bit of a rushed shot and missed but she made the fatal mistake of stopping at 150 yds away Typical woman always late:yes: No photo as my phone battery had died

32 minutes ago, racing snake said:

Well, that's tonight's trip out cancelled. :/

25090201408_79b66af308_z.jpg

Bloody hell RS .....glad we have missed it.  That's you stuck at home for a while I guess.

On another note , sitting at home bored so got my records out and counted up lifetime tally for foxes .................1224

Anyone else like to share their scores ?

The photo RS has posted is pretty much the same as we have in mid wales. I did a little bit of skating in my Amarok this morning trying to get to work...the return journey will be fun. 

Good few tracks about in the snow at home so think I will be out once the snow clears. Stay warm gents  

19 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Bloody hell RS .....glad we have missed it.  That's you stuck at home for a while I guess.

On another note , sitting at home bored so got my records out and counted up lifetime tally for foxes .................1224

Anyone else like to share their scores ?

Fair play Mark that is a fair old tally mate. I hate to admit that I havent kept records from when I started shooting 25 + years ago. My records have only been good for the last three years...however as I am Feral and cant actually read :lol::lol:

On 12/10/2017 at 11:32, Strongman said:

Keep at it mate. I have had a few really clever ones this year on a free range unit with about 55k birds. They will not take bait, come in at different times, lamp shy etc etc. I had 35 + hours before getting one tricky customer then a couple of weeks not seeing one even though there were losses most nights. Persistence paid off...with the usual amount of luck. Makes it all the more satisfying when you finally get them. 

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Keep at it mate. I have had a few really clever ones this year on a free range unit with about 55k birds. They will not take bait, come in at different times, lamp shy etc etc. I had 35 + hours before getting one tricky customer then a couple of weeks not seeing one even though there were losses most nights. Persistence paid off...with the usual amount of luck. Makes it all the more satisfying when you finally get them. 

Cheers Mike. This one certainly is clever but I will persevere & hopefully get on terms with him.

Snow is pretty bad here too and I've not even attempted to get off the drive as I've still got a quarter of a mile before I get to a road that has had a car on it! We had about a foot overnight on Saturday/Sunday.

This was yesterday & we has probably another couple of inches after I took this!

image.jpeg.f9ed4550c4f0eb1412747d11b6b33098.jpeg

20 hours ago, Strongman said:

Cheers Mike. This one certainly is clever but I will persevere & hopefully get on terms with him.

Snow is pretty bad here too and I've not even attempted to get off the drive as I've still got a quarter of a mile before I get to a road that has had a car on it! We had about a foot overnight on Saturday/Sunday.

This was yesterday & we has probably another couple of inches after I took this!

image.jpeg.f9ed4550c4f0eb1412747d11b6b33098.jpeg

This weather is for sitting in front of the fire not getting out after foxes :lol:

I managed to get my pickup out on Sunday morning which was fun. We have about 1/2 mile of lane that is mostly uphill followed by about 2 miles before a gritted road. Whilst it is pretty I will be glad when the snow goes. 

Well, it's been a long week! First the snow was a bit too much. then after that it was wintery showers or rain every night. Finally managed to get out tonight, 3 vixens for a few hours work. Over the 100 mark for the year now. Nice to get out again. Saw an almighty 4 badger scarp! They were ripping lumps out of each-other! :lol:

39080017951_b32411238c_c.jpg

39049571982_95fc5fa07d_c.jpg

39049589112_cfefb363cd_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

Thanks Strongman. Yey man flu all better now, thank God.

That badger scrap was unreal! I could here them coming across the fields, running in a line, then they'd stop and all rimp lumps out of each other, then off again. Watched them go through 3 fields and over the horizon. Was like something out of Benny Hill. :lol:

Hope the weather behaves for you and you manage to get out. Might have a bit of a trip out myself again Sunday night.:good:

Top work again RS and congrats on the ton :good:

Wednesday night I had this small vixen , curled up in a field trying to keep warm I think ..

mNjS9lK.jpg

Then last night I called this dog fox using dog fox mating call on a small local pheasant shoot , received a call day the previous day after one of the guns had seen it ....

p5QCjWJ.jpg

Then it was on to my bait station where I knew a fox was visiting at midnight. I arrived at midnight and shot this dog fox after calling him in with the cub call :)

tQLwgE4.jpg

Happy Christmas to all Fox Club members :yay:

Happy Christmas to all on here. It's great to see the winter wonderland pictures. I did not realise we had shooters north f the Arctic circle until i saw Strongmans house :lol:. That is something else i hope you have a fleet of 4x4.

Out last night with Edd, first to the big hill. Where we had one run in well to the mating call. Until at about 60 yards it changed direction and decided to use the folds in the field to get away. Not too concerned when 5 mins later another came over the hill and decided to sit on the hill side. A real test for the IR and the bullet was on its way. I watched through the thermal and heard the strike but it looked like a miss as the fox bolted sharply across the hill. It ran for 5yds or so and then lurched up the hill and i saw (through the thermal) a large white spout from the fox and it was down. Something like a 230m shot, turned out to be the easy part. Collecting it from the hillside was a nightmare walk through glutenous mud to fetch the biggest fox i have seen. Note the mud on my boots ;)

20171216_203958_1.jpg

Then for a change of scenery the flat of the levels where we made the treacherous climb to the top of the round bales 6 high and covered in frost. The view from the top across the levels with the thermal is something else. Again the mating call worked its magic and we had a vixen run in from behind the farm buildings. It was below the bales but in heavy scrub, stopping short and then running around our position and off into the field. A few barks and it carried on running :unhappy:, it looked like we were not going to bag it. Then it came to the rhyne where it stopped and the shot dropped it where it stood.

20171216_223154_1.jpg

Nothing on the next couple of places wanted to play so we called it a night at 0100. Our total shooting together 83 for the year. :good:

Edited by oowee

Nice shooting Dai, Mark, Grant and Ed. 230m shot, that's a cracker! Top work all.

Really needed to catch-up on some permissions I'd been neglecting a bit lately. Wasn't too concerned about fox numbers there as I'd done a decent clearance so knew there would only be the odd one about. Needed to show my face though so arranged to call at 3 permissions that all join up to make one big area. Nothing doing in 1 or 2, but on the last one (the smallest of the 3, I spot a fox lying in some brash on the edge of the field, next to the river. She hadn't noticed me as I walked up the field, so as soon as I saw her she was in range. Got the gun on the sticks, could only make out her head in the scope, but that was enough.

38236836115_e6a39f9170_c.jpg

Hoping to get out again before Christmas, but just got so much to do I'm not sure it'll be possible.

Fair play boys thats some great work :good:

Managed to get out on Saturday for about 3 hours but drew a blank. Off out tonight for a quick look over 400 or so acres so fingers crossed. 

In case I draw another blank...Merry Christmas to all fellow fox club members, have a great Xmas and happy new year. 

On 12/10/2017 at 09:33, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Yep theres only one winner for the handbag category

Glad to see a few results , I struggled this week , been out 3 nights and blanked . Friday night called one in but it decided to stay safe behind a hedge and not commit

I find they always get trickier round about now as there aren't a lot left on my grounds and they are the smart ones.

Never mind will continue trying as you never know what each night will bring.

Just seen this...

For 2018 could you all stop bullying me about manbags....jealousy isnt a nice trait :lol::lol:

well was out last night seen one fox   in a  field just  ran off as soon as lamp  was on it  thought that was going to be it start to lamp last 7 field before  we finish for night   pick set of eyes about 300 yards away  behind hedge row  not sure whatit  was as was moving all the time  so my mate gives it a squeak  just kept  moving now i have hada fox caller last year for xmas  not had much luck with it  so put it last night and the  fox came running like  a running dog  then stop at 130 yards  good night   and thanks to racing snake  who  sent the new calls was  one he said  he gets a lot foxs with yw0Mk9p.jpg

Edited by babs2020