Fox club

WelshMike

1 hour ago, remmy1100 said:

Nice work there RS are you using drone pro can you give bit info what it’s like is it  the 10x  

Hi Remmy, yes it's a Drone Pro but it's the X15 not the X10. Cracking scope, built like a tank and always reliable. Choice between the x10 and X15 will be a personal preference. Obviously the x15 has a narrower FOV but I'm happy with that for the ability to take longer range shots. Only gripe I've ever had with the Drone is it won't run on CR123 recharables - I set mine up with a volt reg and a EPS5 stored in the butt pouch, it'll go a week before needing a charge. Never lost zero since I've had it. I've got a Photon on my air rifle and the difference between the two is huge. It's obviously a significant investment but if you're doing a lot of fox shooting it's well worth it. Strelok Pro now has profiles for the rangefinder ret so you can really push it out to some long ranges.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, racing snake said:

Hi Remmy, yes it's a Drone Pro but it's the X15 not the X10. Cracking scope, built like a tank and always reliable. Choice between the x10 and X15 will be a personal preference. Obviously the x15 has a narrower FOV but I'm happy with that for the ability to take longer range shots. Only gripe I've ever had with the Drone is it won't run on CR123 recharables - I set mine up with a volt reg and a EPS5 stored in the butt pouch, it'll go a week before needing a charge. Never lost zero since I've had it. I've got a Photon on my air rifle and the difference between the two is huge. It's obviously a significant investment but if you're doing a lot of fox shooting it's well worth it. Strelok Pro now has profiles for the rangefinder ret so you can really push it out to some long ranges.

which ir stu? 

Yes mate, it's the series of screams that get progressively louder. They're already coming into that (both dog and vixen) and over the next month or two they should be even more keen on it. Only time I've found you've got to be cagey with a vixen call is if you've taken a resident vixen off the patch relatively recently. The call is her marking out her territory so it can sometimes send newly arrived vixens bolting, where as a resident vixen would charge in to defend her plot. Not always the case, but as with all calls, nothing is a certainty.

First trip out last night since Christmas, and despite the bitter cold I thought I'd try my luck on one of the big hills I shoot on. Conditions were tricky - bright moon and snow/frost on the ground made walking about a bit of a waste of time, so it was a case of finding some cover and running the caller, but the biting cold made the prospect of sitting still for a long period sound not very inviting! Got up to one of my favourite gorse banks, sat the caller out about 100 yards in front of my, and tucked myself in as much as I could to a) get out of the sight of any approaching fox, and b) to get out of the freezing wind! Got the vixen calling on the foxpro and almost straight away I see a fox coming at a good pace over the other side of the valley, but still 5/600 yards away. Watched him working his way down with the thermal, had another quick scan about and I see another fox heading away from me about 150 yards away. Time for a choice - do I take the shot at the fox going away, or wait to see if the other comes in? Decided to take the shot at the one going away. Got the scope on and found her making her way across the marsh out in front of me. She was getting on for over 150 yards by the time I had her in the scope, so gave her a shout which stopped but squared her up head on. Got the cross hairs on her bib and sent the shot, happy to see her instantly drop in the scope. Got straight back onto the thermal to see the other fox bolting across the nest field. Tried to get his attention with the vixen call again but he wasn't interested. Nothing else seen.

27592117879_8eedf8e665_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

2 hours ago, racing snake said:

First trip out last night since Christmas, and despite the bitter cold I thought I'd try my luck on one of the big hills I shoot on. Conditions were tricky - bright moon and snow/frost on the ground made walking about a bit of a waste of time, so it was a case of finding some cover and running the caller, but the biting cold made the prospect of sitting still for a long period sound not very inviting! Got up to one of my favourite gorse banks, sat the caller out about 100 yards in front of my, and tucked myself in as much as I could to a) get out of the sight of any approaching fox, and b) to get out of the freezing wind! Got the vixen calling on the foxpro and almost straight away I see a fox coming at a good pace over the other side of the valley, but still 5/600 yards away. Watched him working his way down with the thermal, had another quick scan about and I see another fox heading away from me about 150 yards away. Time for a choice - do I take the shot at the fox going away, or wait to see if the other comes in? Decided to take the shot at the one going away. Got the scope on and found her making her way across the marsh out in front of me. She was getting on for over 150 yards by the time I had her in the scope, so gave her a shout which stopped but squared her up head on. Got the cross hairs on her bib and sent the shot, happy to see her instantly drop in the scope. Got straight back onto the thermal to see the other fox bolting across the nest field. Tried to get his attention with the vixen call again but he wasn't interested. Nothing else seen.

27592117879_8eedf8e665_c.jpg

well done has been bittelly cold of late was down ripley in yorkshire shooting for couple days and wind chill was -4 so good on you for venturing out im gonna drag my **** out tomorrow so hopefully bump into some foxes atb for new year

Nice one RS and BBB. It’s been very quiet here, well on the foxing front anyway! Looking forward to getting out in the new year with my new toys! I was tempted to go down the route some forum/flat earth society members perceive is best and get a catapult but ended up with night vision and a foxpro!

All the best to you all for the new year. 

Nice shooting Mark, BBB. That's a good number to finish the year off Mark. :good:

Had planned to get out last night, but rain scuppered that, so decided to spend the New Year in the great outdoors and went out tonight instead. Planned to visit a couple of farms and the quarry, hoping to maybe get my first fox for 2018. Got to the first farm around 9pm, geared up, through the yard, over a gate, scan with thermal and there's 2 foxes at the bottom of the field - as quick as that! Got the gun on the sticks and took an easy 100 yard shot on the first fox. Couldn't get a safe shot on the second as he'd bolted through the fence and was on the brow of the next field. He looked like he was in no hurry to get away so I kind of suspected it was the dog and I'd dropped the vixen. I also reckoned he'd be back. Re-positioned myself at a different angle and sat and waited him out. Sure enough after 30/40 minutes I see him coming along the hedge of the field on my left, he must have tried to get around me to wind me, but the wind wasn't in his favour. Let him come through the hedge about 120 yards to the left and then drop him. 2 in the bag but still before midnight!

38711312314_cfbaf15fed_c.jpg

Didn't see another fox for 5 hours! Fireworks at midnight certainly didn't help, and despite a spell on the big hill running the caller, and a walk along the top edge, nothing seen. Had resigned  myself to not getting off the mark as planned as I made my way back down the hill. Getting on for 2:00 so thought I'd call it a night. Got down to the track at the bottom and made my way to the car. About 100 yards before where I park there's a gap in the trees which allows views along the bank of the stream and first field back up the hill. A quick scan before heading to the car.....nothing.....just about to switch the thermal off when I spot a sheep bolt up from the bottom of the field by the stream. Could have just been a bit jumpy, but I could see it looking back so it was enough to convince me to just hang on a few minutes. Then another 2 sheep leg it, so I was now sure charlie was on his way up. Got the gun on the wall and switched the scope on, back on the thermal and sure enough he's walking along the bank of the stream. Get him in the scope, give him a shout to stop him, and take the shot. I saw him drop in the scope but he disappeared from sight almost immediately. Didn't think he was a runner so reckoned he's just rolled down a bit. I made my way down to where he was and fished him out of the stream. A bit bedraggled but a good size dog fox. 107 for 2017, and off the mark for 2018. Happy new year to the fox club chaps! :)

38540691935_8ee791c703_c.jpg