WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy New Year

Out last night :lol: It was very windy, worse than the Christmas Turkey with Bumpy.

Wallked down to the far end of the perm to get the wind in our faces and started to walk up on the rabbits. About 30 yds away and they did not have a clue. Lined up on one just as charlie popped his head up from behind. I was about to shoot when the wind nearly knocked me off the sticks. A quick realignment and it was one down. 

Despite seeing a few more we could not get on them. Found another three on a different farm but one squeek and they were off to the field behind. Wind had dropped at this point and the wet ground made stalking tricky.  Bumpy sneaked around a corner and rested the rifle on a gate and another in the bag at about 50 yards. The other two were still hanging about but despite our best efforts we could not get on them.

IMG-20180103-WA0000[1].jpg

IMG-20180103-WA0001[1].jpg

12 hours ago, oowee said:

Happy New Year

Out last night  It was very windy, worse than the Christmas Turkey with Bumpy.

Wallked down to the far end of the perm to get the wind in our faces and started to walk up on the rabbits. About 30 yds away and they did not have a clue. Lined up on one just as charlie popped his head up from behind. I was about to shoot when the wind nearly knocked me off the sticks. A quick realignment and it was one down. 

Despite seeing a few more we could not get on them. Found another three on a different farm but one squeek and they were off to the field behind. Wind had dropped at this point and the wet ground made stalking tricky.  Bumpy sneaked around a corner and rested the rifle on a gate and another in the bag at about 50 yards. The other two were still hanging about but despite our best efforts we could not get on them.

IMG-20180103-WA0000[1].jpg

IMG-20180103-WA0001[1].jpg

Well done gents :good:

Out last night with Bumpy and saw maybe a dozen foxes so plenty about. Started on a farm that we have not been to for a bit. Spotted a fox maybe 400 yds away and had an initial panic with the IR when found that there was no reach to the beam. Turned out to be operative error as the hedge was the one behind the fox not the near hedge at 100m :lol:. Called fox and it trotted towards us flushing what looked to be partridge in the field and disappeared behind the hedge at about a 100m. quieter mouse squeeks coaxed it out but rather than through the hedge it emerged at the far side of the field. Gentle calling and it very cautiously came to a stop at about 90m and sat down allowing a comfortable shot behind the shoulder. 

With one in the bag we moved to the other side of the valley and started with the vixen on heat call. After 15 mins r so we decided to move out and at the last minute spotted one in the field moving our way and it was dropped at about 80m. 

We then drove across the valley and spotted one in a maize stubble field at the top with no real prospect of a shot. We got out of the truck to see the fox cross the road and almost immediately heard a squealing rabbit. Back in the truck and we went off to the bottom of the valley where the fox had gone but on the other side of the road. We dropped through a field gate at the bottom of the hill, close to the stubble field and started to call. Within a few minutes we saw two close to us in the neighbouring field close to the road which both quickly crossed out of sight. We continued to call and spotted one in our field too late as it was only 30m from us had spotted us first and was now high tailing across the valley side. Best impressions of a dog bark made no impression and finally a shout of oy stopped it momentarily for a shot at about 120m and down it went, only to get up a second later spin fall down and the run into the hedge line. We searched the very dense undergrowth for about 30mins to no avail.

Time was getting on so we drove off to the next place. Spotted one from the a vantage point at the top of some bales but no joy. The place was teaming with some sort of night time driving event so the normally deserted country lanes were full of vehicles, and every gate had something parked in it :unhappy:. We eventually found a quiet spot in an old maize stubble field and spotted one at about 300m. We were calling that one when another appeared from no where at about 50m and sat down which was duly dispatched.

We spotted a couple in another field but the noise and chatter from the people in open top cars meant we were unable to call them in and we decided to head into the farm yard. From the top of the yard one emerged from the track at the back but was moving at speed back towards a copse. A momentary pause in it's escape plan at about 200m + resulted in a shot and we watched it disappear over the horizon :whistling:. We called it a night at about 1230.

IMG-20180106-WA0000[1].jpg

Nice work Grant, Ed. 12 foxes seen in a night! Looks like you've got your work cut out there.

I had a fruitless trip out midweek. Only fox I saw was one that came through the hedge about 20 yards in front of me as I was walking up the feild. With the moon lighting me up it just turned tail and ran. Another trip out last night, bitterly cold but those nights always seem to be the best for me. A thorough search of the big hill, and a spell of calling didn't produce anything. Kind of happy about that as I've put a lot of work into getting the numbers down on that place considering the lamb loss that farm suffers every year. Headed back down off the hill to the farm, walking along the track I spot a fox come through the hedge, on to the track, then through the other hedge about 60 yards in front of me. Legged it up to the gate and had a quick scan, could make out the fox having a bit of a mooch in the undergrowth, so got set up on the gate and waited for it. Had a quick scan as I was waiting for a clear shot and spot another fox in the field on my right! As he was a fair way away I decided to stick with the plan and wait for the first one. After a couple of minutes the first one emerges for a clear shot, and down she goes. Quickly scanned the other field to see the second fox making heading away from me. Took the rucksack off my back and lay in on top of the hedge, got the gun on it for a nice steady hold, and put him down at 200 yards. Happy with that. Checked another couple of spots after that but nothing else seen. Called it a night at 3:00am.

39554862431_9701f9605a_c.jpg

1 hour ago, racing snake said:

Nice work Grant, Ed. 12 foxes seen in a night! Looks like you've got your work cut out there.

I had a fruitless trip out midweek. Only fox I saw was one that came through the hedge about 20 yards in front of me as I was walking up the feild. With the moon lighting me up it just turned tail and ran. Another trip out last night, bitterly cold but those nights always seem to be the best for me. A thorough search of the big hill, and a spell of calling didn't produce anything. Kind of happy about that as I've put a lot of work into getting the numbers down on that place considering the lamb loss that farm suffers every year. Headed back down off the hill to the farm, walking along the track I spot a fox come through the hedge, on to the track, then through the other hedge about 60 yards in front of me. Legged it up to the gate and had a quick scan, could make out the fox having a bit of a mooch in the undergrowth, so got set up on the gate and waited for it. Had a quick scan as I was waiting for a clear shot and spot another fox in the field on my right! As he was a fair way away I decided to stick with the plan and wait for the first one. After a couple of minutes the first one emerges for a clear shot, and down she goes. Quickly scanned the other field to see the second fox making heading away from me. Took the rucksack off my back and lay in on top of the hedge, got the gun on it for a nice steady hold, and put him down at 200 yards. Happy with that. Checked another couple of spots after that but nothing else seen. Called it a night at 3:00am.

39554862431_9701f9605a_c.jpg

well done stu good work as usual. we certainly have a few to go at here. got the ir last week

Good results Ed, Grant and Stu :good:

Bit of a muppet as I cleaned my rifle and tightened the mounts the other night then forgot to check the zero before heading out and missing a fox about 60 yards away. To be fair it was on one of my fields so not likely to cause me any trouble for a few months :lol:

Think I will put a couple of shots on the target before I go out later in the week .....

100% failure rate for 2018 so far so only likely to get better :lol::lol::lol:  

Well done Grant,Ed and Stuart

Biting easterly wind on Saturday night,so found some shelter behind a stone wall .Nothing showed for two hours then this fox comes through the fence about 300 yards away

He mooched around coming closer then disappears behind an old barn,then I see him running to my left and out of sight a quick scan over the field and there's eye shine from where the fox came into the field, not a fox but Teg the sheepdog he has a sniff about then returns back to the yard with me cursing him under my breath I keep scanning the field and 10 mins later the Dog fox returns looking in the direction of where the sheepdog was and in so presents me a shot at 100yds Thanks Teg :lol:

20180107_010950.jpg

1 hour ago, Daieye said:

Biting easterly wind on Saturday night,so found some shelter behind a stone wall .Nothing showed for two hours then this fox comes through the fence about 300 yards away

He mooched around coming closer then disappears behind an old barn,then I see him running to my left and out of sight a quick scan over the field and there's eye shine from where the fox came into the field, not a fox but Teg the sheepdog he has a sniff about then returns back to the yard with me cursing him under my breath I keep scanning the field and 10 mins later the Dog fox returns looking in the direction of where the sheepdog was and in so presents me a shot at 100yds Thanks Teg

20180107_010950.jpg

stuck at the task well in them conditions:good:

15 hours ago, Daieye said:

He mooched around coming closer then disappears behind an old barn,then I see him running to my left and out of sight a quick scan over the field and there's eye shine from where the fox came into the field, not a fox but Teg the sheepdog he has a sniff about then returns back to the yard with me cursing him under my breath I keep scanning the field and 10 mins later the Dog fox returns looking in the direction of where the sheepdog was and in so presents me a shot at 100yds Thanks Teg

20180107_010950.jpg

:good:well done mate 

10 hours ago, racing snake said:

Oooops. Someone missed a sitter last night. Own fault, used a rather rickety fence as opposed to getting over it and using the sticks. Mist descended after an hour or so and put an end to everything.

Few you are human stu:lol: no drones in till end of month now. The problem is the drone is working so well I might change my mind by then

While shooting the last fox that I have I noticed that my NV spotter was finally on the way out so bought a replacement. Was leaning on a gate to try it and adjust the IR to suit when I spotted a large dog fox strutting his stuff through the cows as though he owned the place. The one big identifying factor was his brush - extraordinarily long and thick with the requisite white tip. I'll have you I thought but have been 'locked out' from that field ever since.

On the farm on Monday I was told that they were back where I got my last one so had this earmarked for either Saturday or Sunday.

Finished the domestics this morning and about to take the dog out when the phone rang;

"****, it's **** from ****** and a fox has paid us a visit last night."

"oh dear, how many have you lost?"

"All of them, but the thing is it's still in the run."

"I'm on my way."

The 22LR would have been OK but it has a night sight fitted which really needs a check zero before use so grabbed a shotgun and the HMR as I wasn't familiar with the set-up. On arrival the run mesh size said HMR. There is this fox lying head on up against one of the coups. Its head - well I've seen smaller on  heavy Lab' - and it's staring at me with a 'I'm stuffed and I'm not moving so what are you going to do about it?' look all over its massive face. The answer was 17g of Remington. When I got at it, there was the brush! Well chuffed. On top of that the rented farmhouse where I was is right beside where I was heading at the weekend so I might just have saved myself a chilly evening outing.

10 minutes ago, wymberley said:

While shooting the last fox that I have I noticed that my NV spotter was finally on the way out so bought a replacement. Was leaning on a gate to try it and adjust the IR to suit when I spotted a large dog fox strutting his stuff through the cows as though he owned the place. The one big identifying factor was his brush - extraordinarily long and thick with the requisite white tip. I'll have you I thought but have been 'locked out' from that field ever since.

On the farm on Monday I was told that they were back where I got my last one so had this earmarked for either Saturday or Sunday.

Finished the domestics this morning and about to take the dog out when the phone rang;

"****, it's **** from ****** and a fox has paid us a visit last night."

"oh dear, how many have you lost?"

"All of them, but the thing is it's still in the run."

"I'm on my way."

The 22LR would have been OK but it has a night sight fitted which really needs a check zero before use so grabbed a shotgun and the HMR as I wasn't familiar with the set-up. On arrival the run mesh size said HMR. There is this fox lying head on up against one of the coups. Its head - well I've seen smaller on  heavy Lab' - and it's staring at me with a 'I'm stuffed and I'm not moving so what are you going to do about it?' look all over its massive face. The answer was 17g of Remington. When I got at it, there was the brush! Well chuffed. On top of that the rented farmhouse where I was is right beside where I was heading at the weekend so I might just have saved myself a chilly evening outing.

Nicely done mate :good:Sounds like a big old brute of a fox, did you manage a pic for us to look at? 

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Sadly, no. It was all a bit of a rush as I didn't want it to leg it before I got there - even forgot the HMR moderator which didn't matter though as it wouldn't have gone through the mesh. Fortunately the distance was such that not having it on made no difference to the accuracy.

The main thing is that you got the fox mate. 

Dragged my mate out last week who hasn't been out at all this season due to work commitments. Anyway called in 3 but only managed to bag this vixen .....

ZJ5oWLU.jpg

Friday night saw me heading out for a few stands but the  foxes won the war on this night :unhappy:

1st fox called in behind me and sat skylined at 80 yds.

2nd fox sat out at around the 200 mark but it was foggy and misty and unable to get a clear sight picture , had a go and missed :yes:

3rd fox again called in to around 25 yds but was behind me and scarpered.

Saw another 2 foxes but once again no shot . One of those nights I guess but at least there a few to get on my list ............heres to my next outing being more successful :yes:

On 12/01/2018 at 15:04, WelshMike said:

The main thing is that you got the fox mate. 

Only good ones are the ones you bag. Well done.

Nice one FH1 at least you have some to get next time. The one in the pic looks a big un. 

Just walking through Paddington and saw one middle of the day on the high street. No Perms here though lol .

20 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Dragged my mate out last week who hasn't been out at all this season due to work commitments. Anyway called in 3 but only managed to bag this vixen .....

ZJ5oWLU.jpg

Friday night saw me heading out for a few stands but the  foxes won the war on this night

1st fox called in behind me and sat skylined at 80 yds.

2nd fox sat out at around the 200 mark but it was foggy and misty and unable to get a clear sight picture , had a go and missed

3rd fox again called in to around 25 yds but was behind me and scarpered.

Saw another 2 foxes but once again no shot . One of those nights I guess but at least there a few to get on my list ............heres to my next outing being more successful

:good:Well done gents, a few more to go at. 

I put the caller out at home last night and had a dog answering the vixen call for 20 minutes ...but never saw him. Heavens opened so called it a night.