Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so went out on  Saturday  night for a few hours to try and  get a fox that  have not been able to get a shot on very crafty  keeps laying down in stubble as soon get in range he s off   so have a drive around to catch up with said fox on  back end of farm catch him  going across a drilled field 2 chance to get shot off  but moved every time so have a drive to some more fields across the road let it settle down for half hour go back to stubble field pair of eyes in middle of big field drive down field fox runs to edge about 160 yards  just get  time to get a shot off  thought i  had hit fox watch  it through  scope was hit but not clean had 40 minutes looking  for it could not find it any were   so was getting ready for home time one last  scan around the fields were  we was  earlier only to pick up set of eyes at about 170 

in a drilled field  bang that one  was down as i shot another fox ran away  was only 20 yards away but never seen it  think they must been paired up was one of the biggest dog foxs i have every shot Nw87jKK.jpg

Hi All

i have dropped six this year, great start! Picked up some new ground - sheep Farms, so should be very busy now. I mainly use .17 Hornet or if it’s windy the .243 comes out to play. Had this big Dog after New Year, biggest I have shot I think.

Hammo

4E74E287-A525-45AF-98B5-033A1D4E31A7.jpeg

Babs thats a great fox :)

Good start to the year hammo keep it up :good:

We had a couple more last night. Ward d was on form despite the wind. One from the top of wet bails so not an easy one even at 120m and one on the most amazing mud field we get to shoot over. I think we have had 6 of this field now in the last couple of months.

IMG-20171206-WA0000[1].jpg

IMG-20171210-WA0001[1].jpg

37 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Hi All

i have dropped six this year, great start! Picked up some new ground - sheep Farms, so should be very busy now. I mainly use .17 Hornet or if it’s windy the .243 comes out to play. Had this big Dog after New Year, biggest I have shot I think.

Hammo

4E74E287-A525-45AF-98B5-033A1D4E31A7.jpeg

good work mate what add on is that?

21 minutes ago, oowee said:

Babs thats a great fox :)

Good start to the year hammo keep it up :good:

We had a couple more last night. Ward d was on form despite the wind. One from the top of wet bails so not an easy one even at 120m and one on the most amazing mud field we get to shoot over. I think we have had 6 of this field now in the last couple of months.

IMG-20171206-WA0000[1].jpg

IMG-20171210-WA0001[1].jpg

i think the drone might not be coming after the last month. now we have that ward set up i amazed how clear a picture we are getting out of all the rifles. i was watching a hill with it last night where these foxes came from at 400 plus and very clean pic

both vixen and dog came into vixen on heat 

Edited by bumpy22

23 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

Hey guys,

For foxes in a farmyard would laying out a rabbit carcass, get up in a vantage point and call them in? Would that work? 

It should work, but stake the carcass to the ground so that the fox doesn't just pick it up and run off with it. I would also add a bit of smelly bait, such as cat food.

44 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

It should work, but stake the carcass to the ground so that the fox doesn't just pick it up and run off with it. I would also add a bit of smelly bait, such as cat food.

As steve says stake it down. I bait a area for at least a week first. Make sure it is the same place and obviously most important safe to shoot at. Then get the write up on here:yes:

5 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

good work mate what add on is that?

i think the drone might not be coming after the last month. now we have that ward set up i amazed how clear a picture we are getting out of all the rifles. i was watching a hill with it last night where these foxes came from at 400 plus and very clean pic

both vixen and dog came into vixen on heat 

Hi Bumpy

I am running a Cobra Titan tubed add-on, previously ran the Ward 800L. 

nv Torch is a Sunnranger from Clive Ward, am upgrading to the new Ruby pill; when the Postie delivers!

Great to find this thread here, been looking for a dedicated Fox area for a while. Hope I might gain some tips here. Any of you Somerset boys near me I wonder? I am South of Bath.

Hammo

Not sure you would need the ruby that Titan is a neat bit of kit. Bumpy and i have the blacksun 2 mine is 38mm and Bumpy has the 67mm. Range is good at about 250m and 400m respectively. I think the ruby might give a bit more and maybe a cleaner pic as its a lower wavelength but it's said to be more visible. We rarely shoot beyond 200m unless we have no option and mostly shoot at less than a 100m.

Edited by oowee

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

Hi Bumpy

I am running a Cobra Titan tubed add-on, previously ran the Ward 800L. 

nv Torch is a Sunnranger from Clive Ward, am upgrading to the new Ruby pill; when the Postie delivers!

Great to find this thread here, been looking for a dedicated Fox area for a while. Hope I might gain some tips here. Any of you Somerset boys near me I wonder? I am South of Bath.

Hammo

Me and owwee are just down the road

3 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Had a pm from owwee,earlier, turns out we spoke about 18 months ago about which .243 to buy. 

Top bloke he has done great with his first cf. Shot best part 100 foxes last year and grassed over 20 deer. not bad for his first year with rifle. He is well and truely hooked now. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Not sure you would need the ruby that Titan is a neat bit of kit. Bumpy and i have the blacksun 2 mine is 38mm and Bumpy has the 67mm. Range is good at about 250m and 400m respectively. I think the ruby might give a bit more and maybe a cleaner pic as its a lower wavelength but it's said to be more visible. We rarely shoot beyond 200m unless we have no option and mostly shoot at less than a 100m.

You may be right, but I will try the Ruby pill, can always swap it back out if not happy. Love the Cobra, it gives a crystal picture. Was expensive but I get plenty of use out of it!

I am just the same as you, always try and call/bait or stalk in close. Most of mine are shot at around 100m, not into attempting long range shots at night off sticks; a miss makes them super-skittish and very hard to bring in again. I try not to educate them!

1 minute ago, bumpy22 said:

Top bloke he has done great with his first cf. Shot best part 100 foxes last year and grassed over 20 deer. not bad for his first year with rifle. He is well and truely hooked now. 

If you two are ever at a loose end, would be happy to meet up for a pint and a chat? 

20 hours ago, Konnie said:

So what sort of times are you guys going out foxing dusk, etc are they active more now looking to mate, or less.

If you can get out, GO.

I mostly go out 9pm to 2am, but dawn or dusk can work; I set out my caller on Saturday in the afternoon, broad daylight. Had a fox creep in through the woods but he came from behind the holly bush I was laid up under - barely 15 feet away from me!! he scented/spotted me and bolted off through the trees at 100mph. Will try there again at night next time.

You will generally see more rabbits out at night, so the fox will be out after them; but If a fox has been spotted, see what time it was as they can have routines, that put them in the same place around the same time of day or night. There will always be an element of luck, everyone draws a blank sometimes.

Hammo

Feeling  tad better after a bad dose of man flu, I popped out last Thursday, usual procedure, ring game keeper and ask if he's seen anything about then off out to see if I can sort out his problems. 

1st Dog fox appeared as expected coming in front of me to a hare distress, just a tad under 200 yards, the second another dog came into the same call, but from my left side. I stopped it at 230 yards with a head shot. 

Can't wait to get out when this rubbish weather clears. And now I have some decent tyres on the truck hopefully I won't be getting stuck again. 

20180111_215349-800x600.jpg

20180102_150508_crop_848x604.jpg

Edited by Dougy

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

Feeling  tad better after a bad dose of man flu, I popped out last Thursday, usual procedure, ring game keeper and ask if he's seen anything about then off out to see if I can sort out his problems. 

1st Dog fox appeared as expected coming in front of me to a hare distress, just a tad under 200 yards, the second another dog came into the same call, but from my left side. I stopped it at 230 yards with a head shot. 

Can't wait to get out when this rubbish weather clears. And now I have some decent tyres on the truck hopefully I won't be getting stuck again. 

20180111_215349-800x600.jpg

20180102_150508_crop_848x604.jpg

Nicely done as usual mate. I am also royally fed up with the cack weather....need to get out. Thought about it last night then it snowed....

HI All,

Working nights this week, so with all the rough weather, thought this morning would be good for an early mooch about a new Sheep Farm perm.

Finished work at 6am, and hot-footed it home to grab the .243 and my kit. I pulled up at the field gateway, down the muddy little lane at about 6:30am; killed the lights and engine, and hopped out for a look through the thermal. Nice! two fox about 100m away on the fence line, crept back to the car and got the Mauser out; I had already fitted the Cobra add on and torch before leaving home. The wind was still howling a bit, and good cloud cover; could only see the one fox now. Luckily for me, all the sheep were gathered at the right hand end of the field. Crosshairs on the chest and he was standing side on - Crack-Plop!! definite solid hit, but dropped out of sight. 

Scanned around with the Thermal, and fox number two was close by, but slipping in and out of view. I was going to have to work my way around to the left, and deeper into the field, trying to stay downwind and unseen. Damn the field is squelchy!! but off I go, looping wide at a low crouch. The fox still had not seen or heard me, but was now working the far hedge, seemed to be looking for his mate? anyway I deployed my trusty green garden cane quad sticks, and lined up. What the..? he started heading almost straight for me! steadied my aim and caught him with a solid headshot Crack-Plop!! two down. Had a good ten minute scan round with out moving, as you just never know, but nothing doing, so pick up the two. One Dog and a Vixen, both in good condition. Walked around a couple of fields, and removed the Cobra add on and Sunnranger nv torch as it got light. I love hearing the world come alive at dawn. Ready for bed now, Farmer is pleased and has promised half a lamb when they are butchered in a fortnight.

Night night!!

Hammo

IMG_1614.JPG.711e417460f5393f8699f08344ff2c26.JPG

37 minutes ago, Hammo said:

HI All,

Working nights this week, so with all the rough weather, thought this morning would be good for an early mooch about a new Sheep Farm perm.

Finished work at 6am, and hot-footed it home to grab the .243 and my kit. I pulled up at the field gateway, down the muddy little lane at about 6:30am; killed the lights and engine, and hopped out for a look through the thermal. Nice! two fox about 100m away on the fence line, crept back to the car and got the Mauser out; I had already fitted the Cobra add on and torch before leaving home. The wind was still howling a bit, and good cloud cover; could only see the one fox now. Luckily for me, all the sheep were gathered at the right hand end of the field. Crosshairs on the chest and he was standing side on - Crack-Plop!! definite solid hit, but dropped out of sight. 

Scanned around with the Thermal, and fox number two was close by, but slipping in and out of view. I was going to have to work my way around to the left, and deeper into the field, trying to stay downwind and unseen. Damn the field is squelchy!! but off I go, looping wide at a low crouch. The fox still had not seen or heard me, but was now working the far hedge, seemed to be looking for his mate? anyway I deployed my trusty green garden cane quad sticks, and lined up. What the..? he started heading almost straight for me! steadied my aim and caught him with a solid headshot Crack-Plop!! two down. Had a good ten minute scan round with out moving, as you just never know, but nothing doing, so pick up the two. One Dog and a Vixen, both in good condition. Walked around a couple of fields, and removed the Cobra add on and Sunnranger nv torch as it got light. I love hearing the world come alive at dawn. Ready for bed now, Farmer is pleased and has promised half a lamb when they are butchered in a fortnight.

Night night!!

Hammo

IMG_1614.JPG.711e417460f5393f8699f08344ff2c26.JPG

Nicely done buddy. Nice looking foxes...apart from the head shot one (not so pretty) :). What do you run through the .243? I use Winchester Varmint X (58 Grain)

Hi Welshmike

I use homeloads, 65 grain Vmax doing about 3500fps. Could push it a little faster but that was the most accurate load. Saves a tidy bit of cash over buying factory ammo.

Plus you get the extra satisfaction of knowing your own handywork has been accurate and humane. Perfect headshot on that vixen!

Hammo

18 hours ago, Hammo said:

Hi Welshmike

I use homeloads, 65 grain Vmax doing about 3500fps. Could push it a little faster but that was the most accurate load. Saves a tidy bit of cash over buying factory ammo.

Plus you get the extra satisfaction of knowing your own handywork has been accurate and humane. Perfect headshot on that vixen!

Hammo

That will do the job nicely mate. 

Finally the weather behaved so out with the rifle. The first farm keep a few chickens and the fox has been helping itself and the farmer isnt best impressed. Headed over for about 9 and spotted a likely culprit heading for the chickens. No shot unfortunately and I made so much noise going through the mud there was no sign of it. I doubled back and headed across a couple of fields to catch some nice eye shine. Sticks deployed and NV on, quick squeak and in comes the fox. At about 80 yards I gave it another squeak to stop it and it charged at me like a fox possessed :lol: A loud oi had it running in the other direction but it stopped for a split second then turned just as I pulled the trigger and down it went. A nice vixen and No 1 for 2018 (finally)

5uqMlGC.jpg

Over to farm No 2 which is another flat farm about 300 acres in size. Parked the truck, into the first field and saw some tell tale eye shine. Onto the sticks and could see the fox making its way towards the gate. He stopped for a sniff and down he went at about 80 yards. Good sized dog fox. 

Another couple of hours and nothing else happening so off home. A good chilly night to be out and about...not one to be stood still for long though. 

ep2DQcH.jpg