WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Top shooting gents and nice to see a few new faces :good:

Work has been frantic to say the least and I havent had time to post anything or do much ......

I have managed a couple of outings and actually managed to take the lamp out for a change on Sat night. It was virtually light enough to shoot without the lamp but not quite. I managed a lovely dog fox who didnt appreciate a 100 grain soft point in the vitals. 

Keep up the good work gents. 

18 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Brilliant work everybody , a few foxes moving and getting bagged :good:

I had a great day last Friday , went stalking before going lamping and bagged this young doe.

leg8PQ9.jpg

Out with the lamp and had this dog fox come to the dog fox mating call , he ran off and jumped on top of a drystone wall . Dropped him off top of the wall at 200 yds (safe shot )

ov5ijRG.jpg

Next stand I called a vixen and a dog , shot the vixen and had a shot at the dog off the top of a wall again , thought I had missed as saw another fox in field behind which I dropped at 240 yds . Turns out when I rang farmer next day he found the fox at back of the wall , so shot 3 from this stand.

2 vixens .........

MmbiA9s.jpg

Next stand I shot a dog and vixen , making 6 out of 6 for the night ...

r5vM6df.jpg

Out last night again with my mate and his son , my mate had this dog fox which screamed in.

OJo5Dhw.jpg

Its been a fruitful week :yes:

Top work Mark. Some cracking shots there mate. 

last night I was sat in the wind and drizzle for well over an hour and a half and was seeing nothing other than a couple of rabbits, I tried a few different calls on the gc500 but nothing showed.

In a last effort I decide on the hedgehog call and with my ir on the middle setting I saw the rabbits suddenly make a run for the bushes, a quick scan about and a dog fox was standing staring at the caller about 30 yards to the right.

Dropped him at 130 yards. 

.222 50gr V Max 

First pic is the entry, and the second is the exit.

20180130_223432.jpg

IMG_20180131_000045.jpg

Edited by belly47
error

I finally got off the mark tonight with an enormous dog fox in our field behind the house. I had been baiting the top hedge for a while and seeing two foxes regularly but no shots presented themselves. I had a good chance on Wednesday with the visitor but he wouldn’t keep still and when he did I wasn’t comfortable with his position as there was a potential ricochet hazard.

I put out fresh bait tonight and set up at about 1845. Didn’t have long to wait as he turned up at about 1900 and tentatively started to pull at the anchored bait. He got continually more aggressive to the bait and finally pulled a large piece off ( I was using the remains of a duck I had breasted on Wednesday). He took it off into the field and sat to have, what turned out to be his last meal. Dropped him at about 115 yards. 

54FBBD7B-86A3-417F-BF89-4A2A550356E7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

I finally got off the mark tonight with an enormous dog fox in our field behind the house. I had been baiting the top hedge for a while and seeing two foxes regularly but no shots presented themselves. I had a good chance on Wednesday with the visitor but he wouldn’t keep still and when he did I wasn’t comfortable with his position as there was a potential ricochet hazard.

I put out fresh bait tonight and set up at about 1845. Didn’t have long to wait as he turned up at about 1900 and tentatively started to pull at the anchored bait. He got continually more aggressive to the bait and finally pulled a large piece off ( I was using the remains of a duck I had breasted on Wednesday). He took it off into the field and sat to have, what turned out to be his last meal. Dropped him at about 115 yards. 

result mate. you got the times right tonight

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Nice one. He started off half the size but was fattened up by all that bait he was taking lol :lol:

That may be not far from the truth! He has been living on duck, pheasant & all manner of things :hmm:. Best fed fox in Hereford!

29 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

result mate. you got the times right tonight

I did. Left it a bit close though. He has been coming around 1930 most nights. Must have been hungry tonight!

On 2/2/2018 at 19:45, Strongman said:

Nicely done mate :good:

DvV8Xmg.pngwell what a cold night last night  was out for a few hours  get off to a bad start go and pickoAXirPJ.pngkeeper up so lamp some field before we get to him no gun set up  pair of eyes looking at us about 40 yards off the  road  get were we pick  keeper up  in  truck go back  were we seen fox  and pick it  up again  darts straight through hedge  catch up with it  2 fields away no shot on  so have a drive around for a hour ready for going home  and see 2 in a field about 400 yards away  so try vixen call just keep looking us then trot off at back of the farm so turn around and drive pass farm pick them up a again  still to far or a shot try another call just keep looking at us and look like they are heading towards a wood  so try to flank them  drive to end of the road  turn left  and drive up to were we think they are heading  but can find them now so drive back to were we last seen them and turn on to the road were we seen them last  are they running up the hedge row  towards us about 50 yards away  now one runs across the road   to the left and keeps running the other one  in field to the right could only see its back as was running as soon as lamp was on so tried call but no sign so scan field on the left were other one had  run put call on and it looked up at me at about 140 yard big dog fox happy days 

Edited by babs2020

Your right babs, it was a cold night. Good work there though. 

I ventured out last night full of optimism that it was going to be a good night. It was about 2 hours before I saw my first eyeshine. I stalked up a hedge to close the gap then started calling. After 10 minutes or so I realised the eye-shine was a sheep :whistling:. Embarrassed I had a scan round, only to see a fox watching me from behind ma at about 70 yards! Probably laughing at me!!

After some cat and mouse with him ducking into the folds of the ground he presented a shot at about 80 yards which I was glad to get after my earlier bafoonery!

B24A3252-AC65-4C6D-A554-3CB09681E572.jpeg.d7a38328f4467887ab414aa891c19205.jpeg

Lovely big dog fox.

Saw nothing else, apart from sheep, and got home about 2.30!

2 hours ago, Strongman said:

Your right babs, it was a cold night. Good work there though. 

I ventured out last night full of optimism that it was going to be a good night. It was about 2 hours before I saw my first eyeshine. I stalked up a hedge to close the gap then started calling. After 10 minutes or so I realised the eye-shine was a sheep :whistling:. Embarrassed I had a scan round, only to see a fox watching me from behind ma at about 70 yards! Probably laughing at me!!

After some cat and mouse with him ducking into the folds of the ground he presented a shot at about 80 yards which I was glad to get after my earlier bafoonery!

B24A3252-AC65-4C6D-A554-3CB09681E572.jpeg.d7a38328f4467887ab414aa891c19205.jpeg

Lovely big dog fox.

Saw nothing else, apart from sheep, and got home about 2.30!

good work richard:good:

I thought I would take the 260 out the other night, trailing a bit of night time rangefinder. 

Went on a bit that we saw 4 Fox's in pretty close proximity, probably paring up up put for a bit of nooky with the local vixen tart. The one in the photo was 302 yards dialed on 4 moa and put the cross hair for a heart shot. 

20180204_201741-800x600.jpg.7add5b0f4b0e60915601144e5108a753.jpg

Turned out to be a perfect shot. 

The other one was a fair bit closer at 160. 

20180129_212725-800x600.jpg

Edited by Dougy

2 hours ago, reggiegun said:

Dougy,

Are they the Berger Hybrid bullets?

Hybrid Target. 

Dont use them for Fox :no: If the 1st was not a perfect heart shot it would have run on and we would not have not found it. I tried to research what i could regarding the expansion, but i can now say that I totally disagree with allot of the comments that are put on the WWW regarding their explosive properties. ( obviously folk talking twoddle as they do)  I am after a box of the Hybrid Hunter, reports from Berger are they are just about identical POI and BC as the Target.  

See you next Friday ?

Had a mooch about this morning, after 12 hour nightshift (yaaaaawwn) 

Found about half a Roe Deer that foxy has obviously been feeding from, right in the middle of a heavy stand of blackthorn - ouch!!

Dragged it out into the middle of the sloping field, I'm off there now. Got until 10pm, then its 'Dad Taxi' duty before a curry and bed.

Wish me luck boys!

Good luck Hammo. I’m sure an easy meal like that will be hard to resist on a cold night!

7 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Nice bob tail vixen last night while rabbit shooting. Grant will probably post pic

Nice one Ed. I will look forward to seeing the pic. You off to the Shooting Show next week?

4 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Nice one Ed. I will look forward to seeing the pic. You off to the Shooting Show next week?

dont know yet mate. probably not to be honest if i do i will pm you. will be going to the game fair in july. think grant is going and a few of my other mates