Fox club

WelshMike

Top work again Stu.

Looks like your dredging the bottom of the barrel now with three legged foxes!! :lol: She does look in good condition so, like you say, mist have been coping with only having three legs pretty well.

Now the snow is pretty much gone I have visited the farm I had the fox over bait to find the bait gone so it looks like there is still work to do there. There are also signs that anopther fox is visiting the field at the back of our house so need to get some attention too.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't posted much on here lately, but have been out a lot, I seem to end up on other foxing sites on facebook, but since the start of the year I have had 27. The thermal for me has been a game changer. Spot thermal, shoot Photon and doubler. Drop back in, in a while.

5 hours ago, Strongman said:

Top work again Stu.

Looks like your dredging the bottom of the barrel now with three legged foxes!!  She does look in good condition so, like you say, mist have been coping with only having three legs pretty well.

Now the snow is pretty much gone I have visited the farm I had the fox over bait to find the bait gone so it looks like there is still work to do there. There are also signs that anopther fox is visiting the field at the back of our house so need to get some attention too.

a few to go at richard look forward to the write up bud.wish i had more time could be out every night of the week with what me Grant and my other mate has. stu is doing his usual fox control, i would not like to be ginger with a brush anywhere near him:lol::good:

got the plan of attack for tomorrow  night rabbit control on a new farm and then 3 others after.  i tell Grant i do not want to be too late but i dont think that will be option now:no::) going to look at a new bang stick saturday all being well and all jobs get done first. 

9 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Very nice ?. Is it an addition or a replacement?

undecided yet depends what they offer back on my tikka. was going down the dedicated route but the ward is working so well that has changed plan. only issue was weight with ir add on etc. but picked up a finnlight and was very impressed. will hopefully have one rifle for all stalking and foxing. then will be load development again. 

nothing set may change mind and keep my old tikka. i am like that when it comes to spending money:lol:

12 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

undecided yet depends what they offer back on my tikka. was going down the dedicated route but the ward is working so well that has changed plan. only issue was weight with ir add on etc. but picked up a finnlight and was very impressed. will hopefully have one rifle for all stalking and foxing. then will be load development again. 

nothing set may change mind and keep my old tikka. i am like that when it comes to spending money

Sako 85s are cracking rifles. I had one in .270 a few years back. 

With the amount of dosh you have why dont you get a Brock and Norris Custom or get one from Precision Rifle Services? Maybe skip the last option as my mate has been waiting for over 12 months for his 6.5/.284. :lol:

1 minute ago, WelshMike said:

Sako 85s are cracking rifles. I had one in .270 a few years back. 

With the amount of dosh you have why dont you get a Brock and Norris Custom or get one from Precision Rifle Services? Maybe skip the last option as my mate has been waiting for over 12 months for his 6.5/.284. 

Looked at that mike. Just want something simple that will last like myself:lol:

24 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Looked at that mike. Just want something simple that will last like myself:lol:

:lol: Dont think you will be disappointed with a Sako mate. My recent ventures and motivation have been pathetic of late when it comes to shooting. May take early retirement and sell all the kit....

Well done again Stu  ...cant believe the population of foxes on that hill ..

Me and Jeff ventured out last night again to a hill bordering some forestry where Jeff has been after a particular vixen for months.

Set up with Jeff on the back of his Jimny and I was spotting with the thermal.

After half an hour of calling and switching to the cub call she came trotting down the hill to the caller and was duly dispatched , job done as she was pregnant and farmer has just started lambing.

Jeff rang the farmer to tell him the good news and asked if the track was accessible to the next piece of ground ....YES was the reply.

20 minutes late we were stuck in a snow drift and had to ring the farmers son to rescue us with the tractor :yes:

An eventful night :lol:

bvwTSe4.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER1

16 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well done again Stu  ...cant believe the population of foxes on that hill ..

Me and Jeff ventured out last night again to a hill bordering some forestry where Jeff has been after a particular vixen for months.

Set up with Jeff on the back of his Jimny and I was spotting with the thermal.

After half an hour of calling and switching to the cub call she came trotting down the hill to the caller and was duly dispatched , job done as she was pregnant and farmer has just started lambing.

Jeff rang the farmer to tell him the good news and asked if the track was accessible to the next piece of ground ....YES was the reply.

20 minutes late we were stuck in a snow drift and had to ring the farmers son to rescue us with the tractor

An eventful night

bvwTSe4.jpg

good effort. no sign of snow here a distant memory now mild and rain last night. had a fox and a good bag of rabbits on new permission but i am sure grant will do full report later

Good to see you're still getting them Dougy. :good:

Texted the main farm on the big hill earlier this afternoon just to let him know I was about tonight - "I'll leave a little something for you on the seat of the pick-up" he replies back. So after getting geared up in the yard I checked out my little goody-bag - sirloin, topside, gammon, pork chops, lamb chops, chicken, sausages, bacon, mince and a bottle of Jack Daniels! Fair play! :lol:

After stashing my stuff in the car I walked down the track that leads to the climb up the hill, quick scan and there's a fox heading down towards me, and coincidentally, the field that's got the first of the lambs in it. ***! Only been out 2 minutes and already I've seen a fox! Got the gun on the wall and let her come towards me. Gave her a shout at about 100 yards and she squared up - easy as they get. Glad to see she's not carrying cubs (neither were any of the vixens I had the other night). Spent a few hours on the hill but nothing else seen. Relieved!

40693706582_40abe8b795_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

8 hours ago, Dougy said:

Just thought I'd show my face, still squeezing the triggers 

20180306_220002-640x480.jpg

20180306_202509-640x480.jpg

20180310_214554-480x640.jpg

20180310_220524-480x640.jpg

A mate asked if I could give him a hand with fox problems. Got nothing else to do and it wasn't raining. 

top work dougy. that put a dent in them:good:

8 hours ago, racing snake said:

Good to see you're still getting them Dougy. :good:

Texted the main farm on the big hill earlier this afternoon just to let him know I was about tonight - "I'll leave a little something for you on the seat of the pick-up" he replies back. So after getting geared up in the yard I checked out my little goody-bag - sirloin, topside, gammon, pork chops, lamb chops, chicken, sausages, bacon, mince and a bottle of Jack Daniels! Fair play!

After stashing my stuff in the car I walked down the track that leads to the climb up the hill, quick scan and there's a fox heading down towards me, and coincidentally, the field that's got the first of the lambs in it. ***! Only been out 2 minutes and already I've seen a fox! Got the gun on the wall and let her come towards me. Gave her a shout at about 100 yards and she squared up - easy as they get. Glad to see she's not carrying cubs (neither were any of the vixens I had the other night). Spent a few hours on the hill but nothing else seen. Relieved!

40693706582_40abe8b795_c.jpg

good work stu. i am a bit concerned you will not make it up the hill after eating all that:lol:

15 hours ago, Dougy said:

Just thought I'd show my face, still squeezing the triggers 

20180306_220002-640x480.jpg

20180306_202509-640x480.jpg

20180310_214554-480x640.jpg

20180310_220524-480x640.jpg

A mate asked if I could give him a hand with fox problems. Got nothing else to do and it wasn't raining. 

Nice job , had the fox caught the rabbit or was it bait ?

Hey Stu , its nice to be appreciated by farmers for the hard work you put in , cracking hamper. Well done on another fox.

We had a call from the farmer on Wednesday to get out after the Fox's after had lost 2 lambs. It's unfortunate that the 2 just happened to have offspring roughly the same time. We went out Friday night but got rained off, but the weather Saturday was just perfect. 

We split up and covered 2 separate parts of the farm, both with recently born lambs all out with the ewes. Having been told that Fox's had been out on the 2 area's  I didn't bother calling and just sat out and waited. Scanning with a thermal, the 1st fox came from what I thought would be the direction that any would approach. I lost sight of it for a few minutes, knowing it would have to show some time I waited. I did think I should have taken it at just under 300yds, thinking I'd missed my chance. But I was right to wait it, it showed t the top of a hill, sat for a few seconds th3n came down my side, a whistle from me to stop him and sent the 53 grain vmax. 

The second ( the one carrying the rabbit) can from a similar direction but through the beet field, carrying something, I wasn't sure what but I guessed a rabbit. That was a little easier, dropped him at 190 yds but took 1/2 is to find in the crop even with the thermal.

The other 2  were from a previous night and were just plain simple shots, 1 was a vixen yet to drop the other the dog, both within 100 yards apart and 1 hour between the shots. 

The other gun managed just the 1, but he's not as good as me anyway so didn't really expect he would get any really :lol::beer:

Some good work boys in between the rain and the snow drifts :lol:

We set out last night and it was raining cats and dogs. An early fox started the count but we had to focus on a rabbit problem taking the top out of the wheat. Got to the field and it looked like Oxtail soup with croutons. It was so wet. There were a few rabbits on the wheat and lots on all of the surrounding fields. It's a long time since I shot there (at least two years and not sure of the boundaries we concentrated on the main fields. A decent bag by the end of the night but getting about through the swamp and paddock wires on the neighbouring fields was a bit of a pain. We spent so long there that we did not get onto the other farms, something about not wanting to be too late :rolleyes: Enough there for another night just need to find out where the boundaries are.

IMG-20180309-WA0007[1].jpg

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Some good work boys in between the rain and the snow drifts 

We set out last night and it was raining cats and dogs. An early fox started the count but we had to focus on a rabbit problem taking the top out of the wheat. Got to the field and it looked like Oxtail soup with croutons. It was so wet. There were a few rabbits on the wheat and lots on all of the surrounding fields. It's a long time since I shot there (at least two years and not sure of the boundaries we concentrated on the main fields. A decent bag by the end of the night but getting about through the swamp and paddock wires on the neighbouring fields was a bit of a pain. We spent so long there that we did not get onto the other farms, something about not wanting to be too late :rolleyes: Enough there for another night just need to find out where the boundaries are.

IMG-20180309-WA0007[1].jpg

Tidy job :good:

9 hours ago, Strongman said:

A good night by the looks of it Grant.

There are small pockets of rabbits round here but not enough to cause a problem. It’s been years since I shot a rabbit.

Did Ed make his mind up about the Sako in the end?

It was a good night Richard. Plenty to go at if we did not have enough:yes:

Was going to gunshop last weekend but owner was away for a week. So hopefully have a look this weekend. Sako 85 finnlight in 243 of course