Fox club

WelshMike

Out last night with Bumpy to set up a cage trap at the chicken farm. This place has fencing everywhere that seems to do nothing to keep the chickens in or the foxes out ?. Just have to watch the wires with the NV. 

Last night was like the last stand at the Alamo, with foxes everywhere but where we needed them to be. Lots of cubs and a few adults roaming about too. The cubs were just playing about and not interested in any sort of noise as they appeared here there and everywhere. The adults were more interested in the call but hardly charging in. Tried to stalk a few but that was a waste of time. Also had a close encounter with a herd of cattle with young to make the night even more interesting.

We set up either side of some old sheds and managed to bag 3 of the 8 or so cubs (although we could not pick up one from the field edge) and a couple of adult dog foxes. Plenty more to go at and hopefully in a few days the cubs will respond to the call. 

IMG-20180602-WA0002[1].jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well done bud , I think you will easily do the ton this year with all the new ground.

hopefully. need to get on the bucks to be fair. i seem to spend all my time at the minute chasing things with a brush not antlers

On 31/05/2018 at 17:54, bumpy22 said:

sounds great Richard. i would love a field out the back of mine. keep looking but nothing close enough. 

mike stop moaning and get on with itcant be lord of the manor without a few teething problems

Sorry mate, will crack on :lol:

On 02/06/2018 at 23:36, oowee said:

Out last night with Bumpy to set up a cage trap at the chicken farm. This place has fencing everywhere that seems to do nothing to keep the chickens in or the foxes out ?. Just have to watch the wires with the NV. 

Last night was like the last stand at the Alamo, with foxes everywhere but where we needed them to be. Lots of cubs and a few adults roaming about too. The cubs were just playing about and not interested in any sort of noise as they appeared here there and everywhere. The adults were more interested in the call but hardly charging in. Tried to stalk a few but that was a waste of time. Also had a close encounter with a herd of cattle with young to make the night even more interesting.

We set up either side of some old sheds and managed to bag 3 of the 8 or so cubs (although we could not pick up one from the field edge) and a couple of adult dog foxes. Plenty more to go at and hopefully in a few days the cubs will respond to the call. 

IMG-20180602-WA0002[1].jpg

Nicely done gents. Chicken farms are a nightmare as loads to bring the foxes in and loads to prevent a safe shot. Keep up the good work. 

Out tonight on a permission oppssite a mates farm, he was grass cutting so I put myself on one field and as expected out came the cubs to play.  Watched them for a good ten minuts to assess the best angle of attack, walked down the dirt track to a mound that I could use as a vantage point, cubs all in the long grass just off the field, two came out and one presented, bang. Dropped, about 5 minutes later the second came back out, dropped it next to the first. Then about 15 minutes later a tgird popped out, dropped on the edge kf thr field.. 3 from 3 and one happy farmer. 

DSC_1622.jpg
DSC_1623.jpg

17 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Out tonight on a permission oppssite a mates farm, he was grass cutting so I put myself on one field and as expected out came the cubs to play.  Watched them for a good ten minuts to assess the best angle of attack, walked down the dirt track to a mound that I could use as a vantage point, cubs all in the long grass just off the field, two came out and one presented, bang. Dropped, about 5 minutes later the second came back out, dropped it next to the first. Then about 15 minutes later a tgird popped out, dropped on the edge kf thr field.. 3 from 3 and one happy farmer. 

DSC_1622.jpg
DSC_1623.jpg

Well done mate. 

Saw 6 cubs playing in a field about 400 yards from the house about 16.00 the other day. Not ground I shoot or would be able to shoot but more then likely they will be over onto our ground soon enough at which point they are fair game. Keep up the good work  

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Well done mate. 

Saw 6 cubs playing in a field about 400 yards from the house about 16.00 the other day. Not ground I shoot or would be able to shoot but more then likely they will be over onto our ground soon enough at which point they are fair game. Keep up the good work  

Get the bait out Mike :yes:

Good work Shooting Egg and Lloyd.

We were back at the chicken farm Monday night. Managed to bag four but despite the best Bear Grills impression by Bumpy looking in the hedge (wearing my jumper) only managed to collect three. That's 9 we have had off there in the last week. Another few on top of the trap which has yet to produce but it does show the owner we are hard at work.

Got a couple of heads back from Bumpy. Thanks mate ?

IMG-20180604-WA0005[1].jpg

IMG-20180603-WA0001[1].jpg

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Good work Shooting Egg and Lloyd.

We were back at the chicken farm Monday night. Managed to bag four but despite the best Bear Grills impression by Bumpy looking in the hedge (wearing my jumper) only managed to collect three. That's 9 we have had off there in the last week. Another few on top of the trap which has yet to produce but it does show the owner we are hard at work.

Got a couple of heads back from Bumpy. Thanks mate ?

IMG-20180604-WA0005[1].jpg

IMG-20180603-WA0001[1].jpg

Wont be any life apart from chicken's there soon..... 

What scope are you using at the moment? You on nv or thermal? Or old fashion lamp? 

Sorry boys...not fox related and just a rant about morality....

..some thieving scum bags broke into my tool shed on tuesday and robbed off with over a grand of tools including my chainsaw, strimmer, disc cutter...

Apart from that I had a wander about tuesday night to let off steam and saw plenty of stuff I couldnt shoot :lol: All in all not a great week. 

Happy to contribute, would like some advise just built a pen for pheasants, done all I can on the pen to stop foxes getting in, I do not have a rifle just a show gun, set a live trap but nothing as yet (been set for 4nights) I have set up a high seat to sit out and wait for foxes, got a speaker etc. Hints and tips more than welcome please.

1 hour ago, Burishoole said:

Happy to contribute, would like some advise just built a pen for pheasants, done all I can on the pen to stop foxes getting in, I do not have a rifle just a show gun, set a live trap but nothing as yet (been set for 4nights) I have set up a high seat to sit out and wait for foxes, got a speaker etc. Hints and tips more than welcome please.

bait them in a area away from the pen. if shotgun is your only option you will need them in close with bbs. cages work well on the young but are a struggle to get them in with so much food about at this time of year

17 hours ago, oowee said:

Sorry to hear that Mike. I had exact same thing happen here when I was having the house done and living off site ?

Cheers Grant. Lots of it going on just really winds you up. 

14 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Thieving #####. Sorry to hear that mate

Cheers Ed. Just adds a load more work to the list and makes you even less trusting of people. 

Sorry to hear of the theft Mike. They deserve to be drowned in their own urine.

Shame you weren’t about with the gun at the time! Suppose that raises a whole new argument though ?. It’s a real pain but at least you & your missus are ok and weren’t caught up in anything.

Went out for walk last night just to see what crops were planted and if any silage is due to come off and to see if there were any signs of cubs about.

No signs of any cubs but did bump into this young buck in the spring barley shot just as the light was fading ..........:)

QVrJ7Ij.jpg

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Went out for walk last night just to see what crops were planted and if any silage is due to come off and to see if there were any signs of cubs about.

No signs of any cubs but did bump into this young buck in the spring barley shot just as the light was fading ..........

QVrJ7Ij.jpg

there is going to be a shortage of roe bucks in the north soon :yes: you are having a good number this year mate:good: only had half a dozen spending too much time chasing the brush:no:

52 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Its been a very fruitful season Bumpy that's for sure. Cant wait to get started with the foxes again though ....

Might be going up Scotland for some goat stalking in August , haven't shot one for a few years now .

6tmJyIx.jpg

looks great. a mate of mine knows a guy that has the stalking rights to some by us. i did ask grant if he wanted to have a go but was not that keen