Fox club

WelshMike

Went out for a few hours before last light yesterday to have a walk over the big hill on one of my permissions. Halfway round I saw a fox coming down a gulley towards me. Had loads of time to get sorted when she appeared on her belly stalking a little cuckoo lamb. Never even saw me even though I was only about 35 yards away! Barren vixen in pretty good condition. 

Carried on up and bumped a cub on the top which bolted out of the long grass. Continued on and bumped another. Pretty annoyed I glanced left to see a cub staring at me thought the grass at about 50 yards. Careful aim and a farcical miss! Quick reload and said fox stops to look back after about 5 yards! Must have thought he was safe with my ineptitude! No such luck for him with my second shot! Nearly fully grown cub.

Need to get back early next week to try and find the others. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

Went out for a few hours before last light yesterday to have a walk over the big hill on one of my permissions. Halfway round I saw a fox coming down a gulley towards me. Had loads of time to get sorted when she appeared on her belly stalking a little cuckoo lamb. Never even saw me even though I was only about 35 yards away! Barren vixen in pretty good condition. 

Carried on up and bumped a cub on the top which bolted out of the long grass. Continued on and bumped another. Pretty annoyed I glanced left to see a cub staring at me thought the grass at about 50 yards. Careful aim and a farcical miss! Quick reload and said fox stops to look back after about 5 yards! Must have thought he was safe with my ineptitude! No such luck for him with my second shot! Nearly fully grown cub.

Top work Richard:good:

23 hours ago, Strongman said:

Well done mate (apart from the miss of course :lol:). At least you got him with the second one. 

I have been on squirrel duty as they seem to have found the seed feeder in the garden. I have shot 13 in the last 5 days with the air rifle. Need to find some foxes this week and use my proper guns :lol:

Nice on Rich.

Despite touring 1/2 dozen farms on Friday night we drew a blank only seeing hares and deer. Out last night and the conditions were good with a clear night and a decent breeze. We started at the chicken farm where we have a couple of cubs to clear up. A 20 min wait saw one at the edge of the field and within a few minutes it was in range and in the bag. Off to the second venue and we started the evening bagging a few rabbits. I have had a zero issue with the hmr so it was good to bag some. Edd used it and swore that he missed a rabbit at 40m ??? We walked over and sure enough it wasn't where it should be and i started to doubt the rifle / scope combo. We carried on walking and there it was down at about 80m, just shows how deceptive shooting in the dark can be. 

Getting towards the end of the night and we heard a vixen call behind us. Turning round just in time to see it run over the skyline quickly followed by a couple of cubs. A quick squeak and they were both running in. The first one was stopped at 30m and was drilled front to back which saw the other one run to the hills. Another squeak and it stopped at about 50m, ran back towards us then stopped to look and succumbed a round through the bib. A nice end to a good nights work.

1943761608_IMG-20180611-WA00011.jpg.485600fd8347956068977e2a08dfe6e7.jpg

IMG-20180611-WA0000[1].jpg

2 hours ago, mossy835 said:

i was out saturday and shot a nice big dog fox.

Good work dave. I was thinking you only did airbourne pests:lol:

had another call tonight with more land and fox problems. Grant needs to have a night in:no: 

i leave a certain welsh country estate owner a message asking for a call for my foxpro. so far he has failed miserably. i am not mentioning any names but a clue  pink handbag :yahoo:

Edited by bumpy22

17 hours ago, oowee said:

Nice on Rich.

Despite touring 1/2 dozen farms on Friday night we drew a blank only seeing hares and deer. Out last night and the conditions were good with a clear night and a decent breeze. We started at the chicken farm where we have a couple of cubs to clear up. A 20 min wait saw one at the edge of the field and within a few minutes it was in range and in the bag. Off to the second venue and we started the evening bagging a few rabbits. I have had a zero issue with the hmr so it was good to bag some. Edd used it and swore that he missed a rabbit at 40m  We walked over and sure enough it wasn't where it should be and i started to doubt the rifle / scope combo. We carried on walking and there it was down at about 80m, just shows how deceptive shooting in the dark can be. 

Getting towards the end of the night and we heard a vixen call behind us. Turning round just in time to see it run over the skyline quickly followed by a couple of cubs. A quick squeak and they were both running in. The first one was stopped at 30m and was drilled front to back which saw the other one run to the hills. Another squeak and it stopped at about 50m, ran back towards us then stopped to look and succumbed a round through the bib. A nice end to a good nights work.

1943761608_IMG-20180611-WA00011.jpg.485600fd8347956068977e2a08dfe6e7.jpg

IMG-20180611-WA0000[1].jpg

Nicely done gents 

16 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Good work dave. I was thinking you only did airbourne pests

had another call tonight with more land and fox problems. Grant needs to have a night in 

i leave a certain welsh country estate owner a message asking for a call for my foxpro. so far he has failed miserably. i am not mentioning any names but a clue  pink handbag :yahoo:

Just to clarify..said pink handbag owner sent said call to Mr Ed a while back who lost it....If I sent the Gekkering call to anybody else who can send it to Ed that would be great..I am certainly not inclined to try and find it :P

Went out yesterday evening for a stalk about on the hill where I bumped the two cubs last week. Had a different approach so as to use the wind and wood as cover. Nothing doing until I spotted a fox sit up and look directly towards me at about 30 yards in some long grass. I dropped him and thought it must have been one of the cubs. When I got to him I found a old dog fox!!

BAB1B1F3-80A1-4CDB-B50C-5C7E24F51D73_50.

Put out the caller for an hour to see if the cubs would make a show but nothing else about. 

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

Went out yesterday evening for a stalk about on the hill where I bumped the two cubs last week. Had a different approach so as to use the wind and wood as cover. Nothing doing until I spotted a fox sit up and look directly towards me at about 30 yards in some long grass. I dropped him and thought it must have been one of the cubs. When I got to him I found a old dog fox!!

BAB1B1F3-80A1-4CDB-B50C-5C7E24F51D73_50.

Put out the caller for an hour to see if the cubs would make a show but nothing else about. 

top shooting  mate. went to a new patch  last night sat in the truck for 3 hours and did not see anything after trying nearly every call in the foxpro list. just about to pack up and spot a fox against far hedge with thermal. switch to nv and watch it carry along hedge without stopping once. even though i barked and shouted. slightly frustrating but makes a tricky fox more rewarding when i get it

a couple more last night. first one was of the chicken unit which takes the count to 13 in a month:yes: hit another that made it to cover:mad: will go up with terriers and have a look later . to be fair the owner is over the moon. a few more than the old boy was shooting of there and there are a few thousand chickens due out in the next week or so.

second one was taken of a new syndicate i have joined this year. big dog fox shot just below the pen. was just laying in the field but started to move when i got on the gate with ir on. an old boy that had seen a light a few times before i suspect. 

a good night but could of done with Grant. but he has booked a month from the looks of things:mad::lol: 

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Nice one mate , I ventured out last night with high hopes as farmer had cut 2 silage fields. Last year 1st visit to these 2 fields yielded 5 foxes but not last night never even saw 1

They probably heard from the roe what would happen to them

Been out every night, I have been speaking them had three in three nights, trap has produced nothing but speaking them

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:59, bumpy22 said:

bait them in a area away from the pen. if shotgun is your only option you will need them in close with bbs. cages work well on the young but are a struggle to get them in with so much food about at this time of year

in to the shotgun is exciting and effective.

Good to see everyone still getting the numbers in Fox Club, well done all.

A call from one of my farms over the weekend, a big lamb taken down by something one night. I wasn't convinced it was a fox that did the deed but one had certainly been at the corpse. Not keen on going out this time of year but thought it best show willing. This farm does have some valais, which are an eye-watering amount of money for a sheep, so he's certainly not over the moon with the thought of a fox in the area.

Though I didn't need reminding it soon reinforced why I don't like shooting this time of year. Stupidly late before it started getting dark; only two fields with grass short enough for even seeing a fox; hot; humid, meh! Give me a freezing winter night any time!

Wasn't going to hang around waiting for charlie to appear, so got the caller out on the edge of one of the fields that was short enough for a safe shot, and fired up the distressed rabbit. I climbed up on a handily placed piece of machinery (think it was a rotavator or some-such), and had a scan. Nothing doing for 20 minutes, then I see a fox come through the fence about ten yards away from the caller. By the time I'd got on the scope the fox had sussed a trap and was legging it up the field, getting further and further away. Tried to bring him to a stop with some squeaking but he wasn't having any of it. Made his way up, and through the fence at the top about 200 yards away from me, then he came into view and did what foxes nearly always do, they just can't help themselves - stopped for a look back. Got the crosshairs on the flat of his back and let one go. Happy to see him go straight down at 200+yards. Didn't hang about to see if there were any more. Wasn't convinced a fox brought the lamb down, so one in the bag would keep the farmer happy and I could put the gun away until August.

42856618742_c83cb25e00_c.jpg

Hi David good to see a new contributor.

Nice one RS.

Started the night with a reloading training session. I am hoping it's not as complicated as it looks once you get stuck in. Ordered a set of everything i need and now just need to convince my wife that i should bolt the press to the work top in the utility ?

We had another three last night off the hill and I was able to christen my new rifle ?. A couple of rabbits too for the hungry ferrets.

One large cub sat last light light with the 204and drone pro. Second one was a large old dog called in from the perfect stack of silage bales ( I mean high seat) shot with excellent ward add on night vision. 

Another 2 more of the chicken unit . 15 in 5 weeks of that new permission. Owner is over the moon as young chickens are due out in 2 weeks.

Nice to hear from you Stu, sounds like you’ve not lost your touch! Good that your keeping the farmer happy too.

Nice work Ed and Grant, are you breeding and releasing foxes down your way though! Mind you your permissions do cover most of the south west ?.

How are you finding the new rifle Grant? Did Ed say that I’ve got a load of .223 cases for you to reload?

I had a few hours out earlier in the week. A farmer called to say he had lost some of his chickens. Had a walk round and settled into a good spot with the caller. After an hour or so said farmers wife appeared looking for what was making the distresses rabbit noise!  Safe to say Mr fox didn’t make a show after that! Back over again Monday now. 

Well after a bit of a drought on foxes recently I eventually got a few this weekend :)

Phone call received from landowner that he had caught a cub in a fox trap and that vixen was calling in next field , got there as quick as possible only to find the grass was 2ft tall so a  wasted trip really apart from some free honey and eggs...

FIqCwph.jpg

Friday night I called this dog fox with the rat distress call , it obligingly sat down 150 yds away :yes:

u2pIeOS.jpg

I received a phone call from Shoot captain yesterday saying birds were in the pen and that he had snared a vixen , could I have a look to see if any cubs about. On dark I was set up near the pen and called these 2 cubs pretty quickly with the cub call ...

zzdqC47.jpg

Then it was on to a recently cut silage field on another bit of ground which produced this dog fox which came to juvenile distress call :yes: so an eventful night ...

7w1SyMB.jpg

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well after a bit of a drought on foxes recently I eventually got a few this weekend :)

Phone call received from landowner that he had caught a cub in a fox trap and that vixen was calling in next field , got there as quick as possible only to find the grass was 2ft tall so a  wasted trip really apart from some free honey and eggs...

FIqCwph.jpg

Friday night I called this dog fox with the rat distress call , it obligingly sat down 150 yds away :yes:

u2pIeOS.jpg

I received a phone call from Shoot captain yesterday saying birds were in the pen and that he had snared a vixen , could I have a look to see if any cubs about. On dark I was set up near the pen and called these 2 cubs pretty quickly with the cub call ...

zzdqC47.jpg

Then it was on to a recently cut silage field on another bit of ground which produced this dog fox which came to juvenile distress call :yes: so an eventful night ...

7w1SyMB.jpg

great work mate:good:

FH1? that is a goodnight out. ?

On 23/06/2018 at 14:21, Strongman said:

Nice to hear from you Stu, sounds like you’ve not lost your touch! Good that your keeping the farmer happy too.

Nice work Ed and Grant, are you breeding and releasing foxes down your way though! Mind you your permissions do cover most of the south west ?.

How are you finding the new rifle Grant? Did Ed say that I’ve got a load of .223 cases for you to reload?

I had a few hours out earlier in the week. A farmer called to say he had lost some of his chickens. Had a walk round and settled into a good spot with the caller. After an hour or so said farmers wife appeared looking for what was making the distresses rabbit noise!  Safe to say Mr fox didn’t make a show after that! Back over again Monday now. 

A big thank you for the cases but we need to get together at some point. Get you over on the deer I hope? Or meet up at the show? Either that or I can send you some funds to poo the stuff in the post? Either way we should get it sorted.  

Rifle is good out of the box but i am only using PPU so far and I think the 1" group will tighten up with some different ammo. Impressed at the impact of the .223 bullet on fox's ? We had to be careful how we laid these two out as they had been unzipped end to end with bib shots. I think the trigger would benefit from reduced a pull weight but Edd reckons it's good to go, so will leave it to see how i get on with it. 

Just ordered all the reloading gear i will need so looking forward to trying to makesome rounds. 

IMG-20180618-WA0000[1].jpg

Went out last night to do the traps, and as I went up the estate drive, two foxes popped out of a gate 20yds in front, saw my wagon and ran right back in again, not stopping for anything until they were through the hedge. 

I went for a walk around to empty the squirrel traps & see what was about, and whilst looping back around, saw this little vixen making it’s way out the gate I saw it pop through earlier & up the paddock opposite. 

Rifle onto the sticks, a quick whistle to stop it at 110yds followed by 80gr of soft nosed .243 to end it. 

2B747ACC-88C0-4772-A5C5-78D3D0313AEC.jpeg

17 hours ago, Bumble said:

Went out last night to do the traps, and as I went up the estate drive, two foxes popped out of a gate 20yds in front, saw my wagon and ran right back in again, not stopping for anything until they were through the hedge. 

I went for a walk around to empty the squirrel traps & see what was about, and whilst looping back around, saw this little vixen making it’s way out the gate I saw it pop through earlier & up the paddock opposite. 

Rifle onto the sticks, a quick whistle to stop it at 110yds followed by 80gr of soft nosed .243 to end it. 

2B747ACC-88C0-4772-A5C5-78D3D0313AEC.jpeg

Good work and a few more to go at.

We had another fox of the chicken unit I took on recent making it 16 now in just over a month. Has a look on a few more of my permissions and saw foxes on ever one but no luck. Plenty to go at if somebody stops having holidays every week