WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:26, oowee said:

Our fox from Monday night. Been a busy week lots of rooks and crows and a few deer too. 

163402900_IMG-20180625-WA00011.jpg.d2324cb69f4a7a531c0e3b39c5cc4b69.jpg

887835991_IMG-20180624-WA00081.jpeg.82e7665844dbcedd80b69ca900704729.jpeg

794970879_WithamBuck3-Copy.jpg.6e97a9f6e055be0c0ffdc7c48cbf4781.jpg

Cracking buck mate ,,

1 hour ago, bornfree said:

look at this little sod. we have 120,000 ducks but only a goose was good enough for him.1664328447_IMG_20180627_094717(768x1024).jpg.dbce74fb182d1a2479f9f908aee3f2d8.jpg

Wouldn't have thought that little blighter would tackle a goose ....

29 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Cracking buck mate ,,

Wouldn't have thought that little blighter would tackle a goose ....

I shot his brother about 5 minutes before him. His brother was in the next pen and also had a goose but I got him before he killed it.  I've seen even smaller ones chasing geese but not killing them. 

Edited by bornfree

You would have thought a duck would be an easier prospect than a goose! He won’t do it again though! Good shooting.

Another top week for Ed and Grant, bet it’s hot work carrying them roe out!!

I had a farmer call to say he had seen a fox and that he had found a dead sheep nearby. So an evening with a dead lamb it was! Saw one early on in the distance skulking about but didn’t present a shot. At midnight a cheeky blighter wandered about 8 foot past me! As he disappeared over a bank behind me I set off in persuit! Got about 30 yards from my position and picked him up below me at about 50 yards in a clearing, where he fell!

74F4A61B-7EDA-4157-90A2-7FF6DB03F1FF.jpeg.209c0322dc2cacc1b9ce5bc3b03c2720.jpeg

Never saw anything else but back out tonight to see what turns up! Apologies for the appalling picture quality, it is a fox and not Bigfoot ?

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

You would have thought a duck would be an easier prospect than a goose! He won’t do it again though! Good shooting.

Another top week for Ed and Grant, bet it’s hot work carrying them roe out!!

I had a farmer call to say he had seen a fox and that he had found a dead sheep nearby. So an evening with a dead lamb it was! Saw one early on in the distance skulking about but didn’t present a shot. At midnight a cheeky blighter wandered about 8 foot past me! As he disappeared over a bank behind me I set off in persuit! Got about 30 yards from my position and picked him up below me at about 50 yards in a clearing, where he fell!

74F4A61B-7EDA-4157-90A2-7FF6DB03F1FF.jpeg.209c0322dc2cacc1b9ce5bc3b03c2720.jpeg

Never saw anything else but back out tonight to see what turns up! Apologies for the appalling picture quality, it is a fox and not Bigfoot ?

Excellent work as usual Richard. Grant says I need to organise meeting up with you either game fair or coming here stalking etc. We are going to game fair on the sunday

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Excellent work as usual Richard. Grant says I need to organise meeting up with you either game fair or coming here stalking etc. We are going to game fair on the sunday

Will be good to meet up. I will most probably be at the Game Fair on the Sunday and, apart from a couple of dates, I’m pretty flexible for the next few months. 

No luck at all this weekend.

Friday night called 1 which came in behind me then scarpered , saw 1 more that night but hung up a lomg way out and wouldn't budge.

Saturday night same again , had a big field out in front to watch and again a cheeky one came in behind me , spotted it at 15 yds and it legged it :unhappy: the only other 1 of the night again hung up and wouldn't call close enough for a shot.

Ah well there's always another night ....

10 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

No luck at all this weekend.

Friday night called 1 which came in behind me then scarpered , saw 1 more that night but hung up a lomg way out and wouldn't budge.

Saturday night same again , had a big field out in front to watch and again a cheeky one came in behind me , spotted it at 15 yds and it legged it :unhappy: the only other 1 of the night again hung up and wouldn't call close enough for a shot.

Ah well there's always another night ....

unlucky pal sounds like one of them nights. had a invite for a nights foxing on a big shoot i managed one fox.  but the highlight was seeing the ground with roe and red in abundance

Well done generally gents. Work and house have meant no shooting for me of late. 

Had a walk around our fields on Saturday and there was a dead ewe that had been stripped so a few about. Had a quick look that night and saw 3 on the bank but in a very tricky spot with loads of cover. Popped over onto the one field that has been cut and cleared and shot a nice vixen. A good start and back out on 400 acres tonight. 

a nice healthy dog fox last night while out stalking. the bucks are eluding me at the minute:mad: but there seems a never ending flow of foxes this year. this guy was trotting down a hedge and a couple of squeaks brought him in to maybe 20 yards at a push:yes:

Back out last night to a 400 acre farm that I have left alone for most of this year. They silaged recently so a good few fields are clear. First spot was quiet so I moved on to the next piece. Quick lamp of the field revealed a fox so over to the NV and shot cub no 1 at about 70 yards. Into the next field and a quick squeak revealed another cub who was dropped off the sticks at a similar distance to No 1. Nothing else showed so I moved onto the bottom part of the ground which was all quiet. Moved onto the last patch and saw some tell tail eye shine. Over to NV and I could see a fox in cover but it wouldnt move. I got to about 70 yards and set the sticks up and put the crosshairs between its eyes and cub no 3 (different litter) was down. Carried on past the cub and bumped a fox that was lying up in a quarry hole....headed around the top and saw 2 foxes sat down by where the cub had just been shot. Dropped the first one (which turned out to be the adult vixen) and the other disappeared. It was about 2.00 at this point so headed over to pick up one of the cubs that I hadnt picked up. Walked through the gate and yet another fox in the field. By the time I was set up behind the rifle it was wondering why its sibling wasnt moving and it was duly despatched. 4 Cubs and 1 vixen down. 

All in all a good nights work . 

mH3mRSO.jpg

Hi All

Been really busy on the crows last few weeks, and what a pleasure that has been. Had a call from a Sheep Farmer I had not visited since early this year, a couple of weeks ago; he had a feeling that there was a Fox about - 'could I come over for a run out?' Of course I can! He has a big open sided barn, and like last visit had stacked the big hay bales to create a nice elevated platform to shoot from. Perfect view overwatching his biggest field. I was working 12 hour nights all weekend ? but arranged to finish at 2am on the Sunday, and hot foot it over to the Barn 20 mins away, after collecting my gear from home. I arrived around 3am, and was quickly up on my bale platform. This first visit  produced this young Vixen, coming in smartly to the caller just 20 mins after I got set up. Quartering on chest shot almost removed the front leg, as it blew up on the bone. 243 65gr Vmax.

IMG_1973.JPG.bdaa551c606a48000c22aa0ea4778385.JPG

Next visit was at a more sociable hour, around 10:30pm on the following Friday. I drew a complete blank, nothing seen at all and my optimistic laying out of a fresh opened up rabbit was all for nought. 

Undaunted, I returned for another crack at it. The Farmer felt there was something else about still as his Chickens in the yard were making a racket late most nights, though he had not sighted anything. I pulled into the yard Sunday night around 11pm, and got set up in the barn platform with caller set out 100m into field in front, 20m off the near hedge. Around an hour of intermittent calling produced nothing but a curious Hare. Then a familiar form came trotting across the field from the left, in the general direction of my caller, which was silent at the time, BINGO! we are in. I gave it a couple of rabbit distress calls which it did not like, sending it scurrying away down the near hedge - damn!  I quickly switched to a Vixen howl and he literally did a 180deg about face and came back in to the caller at a similar speed, I muted the caller as he got close, and dropped him with a nicely presented side on chest shot - my preferred choice with the .17 Hornet I was using tonight.  I find sometimes stopping the caller more critical than when I start it, have missed a couple of chances previously by letting it play too long and the Fox gets too close, realises there is something not right, and bolts away. learnt the hard way on that one.

As a ball game was on tonight l took the opportunity to go to the golf course l shoot early in the hope that it would be clear of old men hitting white balls into the woods and at home watching telly, yep good call totally empty at 19:30 so l set up waiting for the bunnies to come out and sunbathe.

1st client was a magpie out at 75yd, only using the .22lr tonight as it's been neglected of late in favour of the .17hmr.

2nd client is a squirrel again at about 75yd.

Next up a very healthy looking bunny scampers out and 10yds behind it is a fox, choices oh choices, rabbit carries on past me and the fox is investigating the hedgerow about 60yds away, twisting and turning and totally oblivious to me, then it sits down looks directly at me and gains 42gr of Winchester in the engine room and down it goes, the rabbit meanwhile has stopped and sat up looking away from me, it followed the fox with a round to the head.

lt's about 21:30 by now and l know my wife will be concerned (not) so l start walking back to the car when in the distance l spot another fox, oh my lucky day or what, l hunker down and move closer, it's just sitting there gazing around, only l'm 300yds away with a .22lr doh, l keep moving it keeps sitting, this is looking good, then it's staring at me and l'm still miles away from it, l settle down and try and squeak it in, up it gets strolls toward me for a small while then looks to it's left and stroll's away, oh well ones better than none l spose.

As l walk back to the car it's well dusk and l spot a rabbit about 75yds off, lean against a tree and focus in on it, looks small from here but it goes down anyway, when l pick it up its not much bigger than my hand, good shot !!

All in all a good night and now l know even better where the foxes are.

PS.

7 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

As a ball game was on tonight l took the opportunity to go to the golf course l shoot early in the hope that it would be clear of old men hitting white balls into the woods and at home watching telly, yep good call totally empty at 19:30 so l set up waiting for the bunnies to come out and sunbathe.

1st client was a magpie out at 75yd, only using the .22lr tonight as it's been neglected of late in favour of the .17hmr.

2nd client is a squirrel again at about 75yd.

Next up a very healthy looking bunny scampers out and 10yds behind it is a fox, choices oh choices, rabbit carries on past me and the fox is investigating the hedgerow about 60yds away, twisting and turning and totally oblivious to me, then it sits down looks directly at me and gains 42gr of Winchester in the engine room and down it goes, the rabbit meanwhile has stopped and sat up looking away from me, it followed the fox with a round to the head.

lt's about 21:30 by now and l know my wife will be concerned (not) so l start walking back to the car when in the distance l spot another fox, oh my lucky day or what, l hunker down and move closer, it's just sitting there gazing around, only l'm 300yds away with a .22lr doh, l keep moving it keeps sitting, this is looking good, then it's staring at me and l'm still miles away from it, l settle down and try and squeak it in, up it gets strolls toward me for a small while then looks to it's left and stroll's away, oh well ones better than none l spose.

As l walk back to the car it's well dusk and l spot a rabbit about 75yds off, lean against a tree and focus in on it, looks small from here but it goes down anyway, when l pick it up its not much bigger than my hand, good shot !!

All in all a good night and now l know even better where the foxes are.

PS.

Great night out :good:

15 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

That hurt mike I expected better from you. Make a nice bag out of them foxes?

Sorry bud, I didnt mean to upset you. I have to use the .17 HMR when I want to make a fury man bag, .243 causes to much damage :lol:

One of my mates has a few nice roe bucks to deal with..now he has his new custom 6.5/.284. Jealous....