Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a call about dead chickens on the 54,000 bird free range unit  yesterday so headed over early with the .243. Sat watching one field for an hour and then all hell broke loose behind me in one of the pens. There was a good sized fox cub running all over the place in among 1000 or so birds.....between buildings and the high cover in the pen I couldnt get a bloody shot and the little sod disappeared...fortunately it wasnt an adult  as there would have been a chicken massacre......back out tonight by the look of it....

3 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Got a call about dead chickens on the 54,000 bird free range unit  yesterday so headed over early with the .243. Sat watching one field for an hour and then all hell broke loose behind me in one of the pens. There was a good sized fox cub running all over the place in among 1000 or so birds.....between buildings and the high cover in the pen I couldnt get a bloody shot and the little sod disappeared...fortunately it wasnt an adult  as there would have been a chicken massacre......back out tonight by the look of it....

Take the shotgun

Earlier in the week calling on a local farm much to my frustration saw a fox running in from across the side of the hill rather than the expected bottom up approach. With no shot I could only bark at it and watch it run down the hill. A warning shot was fired non the less reminding it not to return. 

Out last night to the Chicken farm. ? Guardian of chicken farm is fun ? lots of discussion re unnatural acts and bbq cooking had us laughing for most of the night. Struggled to focus but had my nitrile gloves at the ready just in case I was called into action. Unfortunately Bumpy brought our attention back to the job in hand foxing and we moved onto chicken farm number two.

Bumpy was up on the bales and despite a very unnatural shooting position offered by the bales, either too high or too low (and covered in bird poo) managed to get a shot of at 175m + and drop a fox on the spot with his new 75g hollow points from the .243. Interesting that the fox was not unzipped like you might expect from such a fast round. 

I went around the corner and started a waiting game to be rewarded after 20 mins or so with a 3/4 grown trotting on a mission along the top hedge. Some squeaking changed it's direction and i was a little taken aback by the speed with which he came in. Stopped him with a quick bark at abut 20m and the hmr did its job. 

Bumpy was also out today for a little independent action and managed two with his shotgun. I can only guess that they were asleep in the sun?

IMG-20180714-WA0000[1].jpg

with glasses.jpg

42 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well done lads , did better than me last night. Never saw a fox all night but heard one screaming in the wood below but wouldn't show itself

we have been lucky with this chicken unit 20 in 6 weeks. the last guy was older chap on there and i dont think he was keeping numbers down. which is how i had the call. the 2 this afternoon were i some woods where they had been spotted recent near chickens and ducks. both were called in to about 15 yards :) at 2 different ends of the wood within 30 mins of each other. should of dressed for the occasion :lol:

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

we have been lucky with this chicken unit 20 in 6 weeks. the last guy was older chap on there and i dont think he was keeping numbers down. which is how i had the call. the 2 this afternoon were i some woods where they had been spotted recent near chickens and ducks. both were called in to about 15 yards  at 2 different ends of the wood within 30 mins of each other. should of dressed for the occasion 

Nice glasses :lol:

we had some ducks killed thursday night so friday afternoon i moved my tower and i was in place by 11pm by 3am i could not stay awake so called it a night. the next day dead ducks again so it was another early hours fox. last night set my alarm for 2am and i got to the field by 2.30am scanned the field with NV saw nothing so i climbed the tower, not that quietly as its a steel tower a quick look round and there's the fox a good sized dog with his back to me eating a duck about 75 yards away. a quick swap to rifle and an easy shot back home by 3am.  i know ducks make a lot of noise but iam sure that fox was deaf.

We have just had the rape harvested so though I would go out for a look around primarily to see where the pigeons were happiest.. took a rifle with me as it would be rude not too. sat up and gave a call for c30 minutes.

Out bounded this dog fox about 120 yards called him to stop and game over.

A few more pheasants saved.

IMG_2331.jpg

Edited by Terry2016

On 14/07/2018 at 18:16, oowee said:

Earlier in the week calling on a local farm much to my frustration saw a fox running in from across the side of the hill rather than the expected bottom up approach. With no shot I could only bark at it and watch it run down the hill. A warning shot was fired non the less reminding it not to return. 

Out last night to the Chicken farm. ? Guardian of chicken farm is fun ? lots of discussion re unnatural acts and bbq cooking had us laughing for most of the night. Struggled to focus but had my nitrile gloves at the ready just in case I was called into action. Unfortunately Bumpy brought our attention back to the job in hand foxing and we moved onto chicken farm number two.

Bumpy was up on the bales and despite a very unnatural shooting position offered by the bales, either too high or too low (and covered in bird poo) managed to get a shot of at 175m + and drop a fox on the spot with his new 75g hollow points from the .243. Interesting that the fox was not unzipped like you might expect from such a fast round. 

I went around the corner and started a waiting game to be rewarded after 20 mins or so with a 3/4 grown trotting on a mission along the top hedge. Some squeaking changed it's direction and i was a little taken aback by the speed with which he came in. Stopped him with a quick bark at abut 20m and the hmr did its job. 

Bumpy was also out today for a little independent action and managed two with his shotgun. I can only guess that they were asleep in the sun?

IMG-20180714-WA0000[1].jpg

with glasses.jpg

Well done gents. I dont recall Ed being that plump when I met him :lol:

13 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

We have just had the rape harvested so though I would go out for a look around primarily to see where the pigeons were happiest.. took a rifle with me as it would be rude not too. sat up and gave a call for c30 minutes.

Out bounded this dog fox about 120 yards called him to stop and game over.

A few more pheasants saved.

IMG_2331.jpg

Good result

Saturday night saw me back out at the chicken farm. Pitched up on the bank watching the pen where they have been having losses and where I saw the cub on Thursday night. I had a quick scan with the  lamp every couple of minutes just to see if there was any tell tale eye shine. About 23.00 I spotted something in the wood above the pen. Over to NV and there was a fox behind the wire. The fox followed the fence around the top edge and briefly disappeared from view behind a tree before heading down the side of the pen. At the first chance she was met with a 58 Grain BT round from the .243. Adult vixen so a good start. 

Text last night about 7.30 saying there was a fox in one of the other pens. I didnt get the text until 10 so back out tonight. 

4 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Well done gents. I dont recall Ed being that plump when I met him :lol:

Good result

Saturday night saw me back out at the chicken farm. Pitched up on the bank watching the pen where they have been having losses and where I saw the cub on Thursday night. I had a quick scan with the  lamp every couple of minutes just to see if there was any tell tale eye shine. About 23.00 I spotted something in the wood above the pen. Over to NV and there was a fox behind the wire. The fox followed the fence around the top edge and briefly disappeared from view behind a tree before heading down the side of the pen. At the first chance she was met with a 58 Grain BT round from the .243. Adult vixen so a good start. 

Text last night about 7.30 saying there was a fox in one of the other pens. I didnt get the text until 10 so back out tonight. 

Nice report, you got to keep at em..this time of year.. good luck tonight.. i will also be out again.

atb 

Terry

well done mike nice to see you getting out and about. seems a never ending flow of them this year. got quite a few to sort out as well. just need my hmr for some of the more subtle jobs. been leaving the bunnies on one patch that has loads for the new arrival

On 16/07/2018 at 16:05, Terry2016 said:

Nice report, you got to keep at em..this time of year.. good luck tonight.. i will also be out again.

atb 

Terry

Cheers mate.  Drew a blank last night. Watched the pen from 9 -10 with the "day rifle" then over to the NV when it was getting too dark. Got to just after 11 and was knackered so headed home. Up at 5.30 this morning to do some building works before work...all go. How did you get on? 

18 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

well done mike nice to see you getting out and about. seems a never ending flow of them this year. got quite a few to sort out as well. just need my hmr for some of the more subtle jobs. been leaving the bunnies on one patch that has loads for the new arrival

Struggling big time at the mo with it all. Between work, house and bees I am knackered..thats before badly behaved foxes. I have ended up with so little time I cant really deal with the foxes before they cause problems so thats keeping the pressure on a bit. I have a few farms where the crops are nice and tall so at least I have a bit of an excuse. 

Glad you are keeping busy as always bud.  Bet the illusive 72 or 76 is fast approaching :lol:

76, top effort that Ed. Sounds like everyone is getting a good lot of action by the results on here.

Ive not seen much about lately apart from a couple of suicidal cubs last week. Dropped one after it raced in to a mouth squeak and missed the other twice after it came from nowhere to the caller! ?

Will be out tomorrow to check around again. 

12 hours ago, oowee said:

Good luck for Wednesday ?

Just had an early evening. Had a couple of 3/4 grown cubs with the new .223 (T3x). Cracking round just need to lighten the trigger. 

foxes 1707 - Copy.jpg

Nicely done Grant. Hard to believe that you have only been shooting with a rifle for the last couple of years. Fair play to your mentor...though he is a little rude for my liking :lol:

12 hours ago, Strongman said:

76, top effort that Ed. Sounds like everyone is getting a good lot of action by the results on here.

Ive not seen much about lately apart from a couple of suicidal cubs last week. Dropped one after it raced in to a mouth squeak and missed the other twice after it came from nowhere to the caller! ?

Will be out tomorrow to check around again. 

Missed....twice.....surely not. I never miss. I always hit something just not the intended target in all cases :lol: Many a time have I shot the grass behind, next to, or above the fox, but never a miss :lol::lol: Good luck for tonight. 

I am having a couple of days off as I need to clean the man bag collection. 

19 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Cheers mate.  Drew a blank last night. Watched the pen from 9 -10 with the "day rifle" then over to the NV when it was getting too dark. Got to just after 11 and was knackered so headed home. Up at 5.30 this morning to do some building works before work...all go. How did you get on? 

Struggling big time at the mo with it all. Between work, house and bees I am knackered..thats before badly behaved foxes. I have ended up with so little time I cant really deal with the foxes before they cause problems so thats keeping the pressure on a bit. I have a few farms where the crops are nice and tall so at least I have a bit of an excuse. 

Glad you are keeping busy as always bud.  Bet the illusive 72 or 76 is fast approaching 

Its funny how they can be so aloof at times.. but i suppose thats what makes them so cunning..

Well, ended up going last night.. . I went for a walk on the grounds in the day and managed to shoot a couple of rabbits over the spaniels left the guts on a bank as a good back stop, I went back last night put the caller out close to the rabbit guts.. and sat for about half hour. 

When I looked around behind me and Charly was heading down a track in the barley towards me and came to a stop at about 150 yards.. met with the 55g 223 Hornady Vmax.. :shoot:

I then carried on around the grounds and bagged 13 Rabbits for the pot.. 

Happy Days

Terry

2 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Its funny how they can be so aloof at times.. but i suppose thats what makes them so cunning..

Well, ended up going last night.. . I went for a walk on the grounds in the day and managed to shoot a couple of rabbits over the spaniels left the guts on a bank as a good back stop, I went back last night put the caller out close to the rabbit guts.. and sat for about half hour. 

When I looked around behind me and Charly was heading down a track in the barley towards me and came to a stop at about 150 yards.. met with the 55g 223 Hornady Vmax.. :shoot:

I then carried on around the grounds and bagged 13 Rabbits for the pot.. 

Happy Days

Terry

Tidy job there mate, nicely done. 

3 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Missed....twice.....surely not. I never miss. I always hit something just not the intended target in all cases  Many a time have I shot the grass behind, next to, or above the fox, but never a miss  Good luck for tonight. 

I am having a couple of days off as I need to clean the man bag collection. 

Yes twice. I couldn't believe the first miss, neither could the fox I recon as he stopped after a short run! Took more time over the second shot and carefully missed that one! Hit the grass below him both times to a zero check may be needed in my defence!!

Getting the man bags ready for display at the Game Fair are you? Sounds like the stately home is nearing completion with such tasks being swept up now!!!

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

Yes twice. I couldn't believe the first miss, neither could the fox I recon as he stopped after a short run! Took more time over the second shot and carefully missed that one! Hit the grass below him both times to a zero check may be needed in my defence!!

Getting the man bags ready for display at the Game Fair are you? Sounds like the stately home is nearing completion with such tasks being swept up now!!!

:lol: The man bags are all covered in dust. 

I have a 4 day weekend so a couple of nice easy tasks :

Remove floorboards in the second bedroom, remove ceiling, replace 4 oak beams, try and level floor so that new section, old section and new steels line up....remove upstairs bathroom, remove studwork walls, remove floorboards...remove main beam in front room which unfortunately is rotten ...replace with new 1/4 tonne oak beam, re notch to take the 19 oak floor joists, take delivery of shipping container, feed pigs, water pigs, water orchard, sort out 20 hives of bees....:lol: Might have time for a tip out with the rifle. 

34 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Any of you guys attending the Ragley Hall gamefair soon?

The rest of fox club made it clear that I wasnt welcome:lol: . To be fair I havent got the time this year. 

11 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

:lol: The man bags are all covered in dust. 

I have a 4 day weekend so a couple of nice easy tasks :

Remove floorboards in the second bedroom, remove ceiling, replace 4 oak beams, try and level floor so that new section, old section and new steels line up....remove upstairs bathroom, remove studwork walls, remove floorboards...remove main beam in front room which unfortunately is rotten ...replace with new 1/4 tonne oak beam, re notch to take the 19 oak floor joists, take delivery of shipping container, feed pigs, water pigs, water orchard, sort out 20 hives of bees....:lol: Might have time for a tip out with the rifle. 

The rest of fox club made it clear that I wasnt welcome:lol: . To be fair I havent got the time this year. 

lazy s%%t what are you doing the rest of the weekend????

48 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Any of you guys attending the Ragley Hall gamefair soon?

sunday a few of us of here are going and meeting up. we all have to have a fox brush on the back of a deer stalker apparently. i am struggling for foxes so i will let you boys bring one for me