Fox club

WelshMike

You are more than welcome to have a play with my torch! Good excuse to meet up as well. Ordered PVS14 from Taclight as they offer 0% finance ?

Selling my Cobra Titan gen 2+ if anyone is considering one this will save you @ £500 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been busy over last day or so. Out Thurs, both of us Fri and it looks like Edd was bored this morning? 

A great night last night. Clear and dry with a few shooting stars. Please note Edds new rifle (picture 2) which seems to be super accurate with a couple of long range shots Fri.  We did see lots of deer so I am hoping i can get out in a few minutes or if not Sunday evening to have a look around.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning. 

thursday night.jpg

fri night.jpg

IMG-20180811-WA0001[1].jpg

Great stuff again Oowee....

Not so great for me last night. Decided to try a couple of spots that aren't the most productive. Text farmer so say I was going , on arrival there was a 4x4 driving the fields lamping so went to another spot but fields were long.

Tried another spot where I know there are foxes but nothing showed:unhappy:

Then thought I will try the field I shot the one the other night , but once again someone was lamping a few fields over and then to top it off the Police helicopter was out , so I gave up and went home ..............

3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Great stuff again Oowee....

Not so great for me last night. Decided to try a couple of spots that aren't the most productive. Text farmer so say I was going , on arrival there was a 4x4 driving the fields lamping so went to another spot but fields were long.

Tried another spot where I know there are foxes but nothing showed:unhappy:

Then thought I will try the field I shot the one the other night , but once again someone was lamping a few fields over and then to top it off the Police helicopter was out , so I gave up and went home ..............

that is not good:no: sounds like a very frustrating night with a lot of activity you dont want.  

good night last night. called a nice one in my woods this morning takes us up to 82 for the year. if my secretary has done his maths correctly. we should break the triple figure soon. had a air bit of new ground this year between us that has produced good numbers. 

That's some going Bumpy but you must have the acreage to get good numbers. I chased my PB last year and ended up on 84 so far this year not so good .

Still plenty time yet and haven't shot a few permissions yet, Could do with some new ground that hasn't been shot before.

Off for a fortnight week after next so hopefully get a few ....................

43 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

That's some going Bumpy but you must have the acreage to get good numbers. I chased my PB last year and ended up on 84 so far this year not so good .

Still plenty time yet and haven't shot a few permissions yet, Could do with some new ground that hasn't been shot before.

Off for a fortnight week after next so hopefully get a few ....................

to be fair me and grant have fair bit. but its not all spread 22 off one chicken unit in 2 months and a lot of other problem foxes on small patchhes

9 minutes ago, racing snake said:

*Tips hat to fellow club members

It's time. ☺️

stu your back

33 minutes ago, racing snake said:

Just been catching up on the club - some awesome work chaps. What's this I hear that you and Grant are on nearly 100 already! Heading out for my first trip in an hour or so (if the rain keeps off).

i bet you will be near that soon knowing you stu

Not a lot to report Mark, Edd. Headed out, it rained not long after I got there, so headed home without seeing a fox. I'm a bit caught between two stools at the moment. Normally the sea trout run has past its best by this time of year, so it's generally a natural progression to move onto the foxes. With this year's dry spell though everything's running late. Still trying to focus on the sea trout but ironically the river's too high at the moment after last night and today's rain. On the plus side though, I'm going to venture out after Charles again tonight again.

When we were out on Friday night we saw half a dozen deer on some of the fields where we managed to bag a few of the foxes. At the last farm of the night we had a buck standing in the middle of the field reluctant to move despite us walking past it twice and at one point within about 30 yards of it. Last night took advantage of my wife's piano practice (it hurts my ears don't you know) to pop out and see if this last buck was there. 

Opened up the gate and drove into the field as it was raining heavily I just sat in the truck (1945 hrs). Spotted the buck two fields over (no perm) walking away (2000). I watched it quietly confident that it would come back my way as it made it's way at a reasonable walk the long way around the field. Eventually it was headed my way about 500m away making its way down the hedge line (2015 hrs). I waited till it disappeared behind some trees, slipped out of the truck and made my way quickly across the field to a position behind a large tree in the middle. at about 2030 it arrived at the corner gate to the field I was in directly down wind of my position at about 150m. It then walked along the bottom hedge still not in my field and out of sight. Just after sunset (2100 hrs) I looked again the other side of the tree and it was in the field at about 130m. All was going to plan although he was still almost down wind. 

At this point I want to get my excuses in. It's half dark, raining and windy and he is slightly at a quarter angle. The shot could have been better and hit him a couple of inches further back than i intended, which was compounded by the less than square on position of the animal. He stood still whilst i quickly reloaded and waited about 15 seconds with the scope back on his shoulder, then dropped him with a second better placed shot.

Out tonight just to check the other fields where we saw deer, it would be rude not too. I need one more (hopefully tonight) to make my half century on the deer. 

sat night 2100.jpg

Out last night and it was doe's everywhere i looked and everywhere i went on these two large fields. Getting in to the spot i wanted was not easy as I did not want to alarm all the stuff that was about. Never managed it and by the time I had stumbled and bashed my way over the stubble and through the undergrowth everything had gone. Not long to wait and they were all back out and still all doe's ☹️.

Made my way back to the truck and scanning the field i spotted a fox at the far end' about 300m. A quick hand call and it was at about 200m the place Bumpy had dropped one the other night (200m is quite a way when you definitely dont want to miss). Weighed it up and decided that all the foxes i shoot must be smaller targets than the ones Bumpy drops. I kept on calling :lol: and it was soon into a manageable 130m and down it went. 

fox sunday.jpg

Still refurbishing Mike? That's what happens when you buy Ragley Hall, it's never ending! ?  Read about your mod explosion. You don't get a lot of luck with them.

Manged to open my account for part 2 of the 2018 season. Quiet night again though, just this one cub seen. Still holding off from visiting the big covers, but they're next on the list the next time I venture out.

43105420395_2d3c18bceb_c.jpg

Nice to see you back Stu. You can give Ed and Grant a run for their money now as they have been amassing a good haul so far this year!

I've not been out much lately as it seems everything has conspired against me. Hoping to get out his week though, maybe tonight if all goes to plan

11 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Nice to see you back Stu. You can give Ed and Grant a run for their money now as they have been amassing a good haul so far this year!

I've not been out much lately as it seems everything has conspired against me. Hoping to get out his week though, maybe tonight if all goes to plan

Thanks Richard. Yes they're been knocking them over all right! Still feels a bit weird going out when it's so warm. Looking forward to autumn now. Hope you manage to get out,

1 hour ago, racing snake said:

Still refurbishing Mike? That's what happens when you buy Ragley Hall, it's never ending! ?  Read about your mod explosion. You don't get a lot of luck with them.

Manged to open my account for part 2 of the 2018 season. Quiet night again though, just this one cub seen. Still holding off from visiting the big covers, but they're next on the list the next time I venture out.

43105420395_2d3c18bceb_c.jpg

Nice to see you back buddy :good: 

The house is coming along but doing all the work ourselves means its slow progress. Went to the effort of replacing 9 oak floor joists and notching them into the old main beam a few weeks back ...I then had to do a bit of stonework and exposed the end of the old beam...most of it fell out of the wall in powder form so a quick acrow prop for support followed by ordering a new main beam (4 metres long 240 x 240 mm). Also had to remove the 2 rooms above the front room and make a very open plan house. Got a mate with a telehandler to drive through the garden and get the beam close enough to the house to make it easier to get in. Lifted it into place Saturday then notched the oak joists back in yesterday....fun fun fun. 

Ragley Hall....:lol: maybe one of the tumbled down outbuildings on the grounds somewhere. 

1 hour ago, racing snake said:

Thanks Richard. Yes they're been knocking them over all right! Still feels a bit weird going out when it's so warm. Looking forward to autumn now. Hope you manage to get out,

Looking forward to getting out, now harvesting is in full swing there will be nowhere to hide so will hopefully account for a few. When I was last out it was very strange being so warm in the early hours!

I would have thought with all this good weather you would have cracked on and got it finished by now Mike!! ?

12 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Looking forward to getting out, now harvesting is in full swing there will be nowhere to hide so will hopefully account for a few. When I was last out it was very strange being so warm in the early hours!

I would have thought with all this good weather you would have cracked on and got it finished by now Mike!! ?

Cheeky so and so.....140mm dense concrete blocks are bad enough when its cold let alone when its 30 degrees. I am under 10 stone so the blocks weigh almost as much as me :lol: