WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Good work mate. The full moon last night was a pain , consequently drew a blank.

Good luck tonight OOwee , I might give it a miss tonight and have a wander with shotty before dark.

Cheers bud. Off out tonight, hopefully there’ll be a bit of cloud cover on. 

Edit: sod all cloud cover & a bloody massive moon left it like daylight! Still accounted for these 3, all this year’s cubs, with 58gr ballistic tips in the .243 making one hell of a mess on exit. 

07176C62-754F-4576-98DA-E2CDD46B78EB.jpeg

Edited by Bumble

Hi All,

Having seem the wet weather forecast for today, I was out last night with the .17 Hornet. Hardly a breath of wind, so the little CZ 527 was due an outing. First stop was my Stables perm, one of the first I gained a few years back. Four rabbits in the paddocks, despatched three but had to leave one which was too close to the horses. Moon was so bright I was shooting without putting the nv torch on, absolutely loving the performance of my PVS14. 

Having seen nothing much else, I was pleased after half an hour to see what looked like a couple of possible fox over the boundary, at the top of the hill. I pulled out the plastic 'Blaze' mouth caller and started off a steady call pattern. The Horses were well spooked! and I thought about giving it up, but they settled somewhat so I carried on. No interest from up the hill at first, but I blew harder and one of the slinky shapes came towards the boundary hedge - were in! A lane runs along the boundary hedge, and typically the fox broke out through the hedge a good few metres left of where I expected. Still coming in keenly, he broke further left again and my line of sight was ruined by the chainlink fence around the round training pen. ****!!! 

I repositioned, hoping to catch him coming out into the lower paddock, but nothing seen. Back I go into the shadows of the hedge above, just in time to see two shapes through the thermal come bowling through the border hedge higher up the slope. Two young badgers galloping along, one of them doing a very impressive forward roll as it went under one of the Leccy fences, they were squabbling away as they ran. Off they went, oblivious of being watched.

Ah well, another walk about, and scanning the big stubble field downslope of the stable block I clock a fox cutting across right to left; he is in no hurry and pauses often to sniff about, mousing I shouldn't wonder. Plenty of time to take the shot, and I waited for a side on chest shot - favourite with the .17 Hornet for me.

IMG_20180825_221218.jpg.0716d8759f1285f3fb9edcf88a6973d3.jpg

A really nice condition dog, been after this one for a while. Stable owner says he has been scent marking around the tack shed, hope this is the one.

The rest of the night passed off uneventfully, a LOT of stripeys about; but no other fox seen.

Hammo

Some nice work there Hammo. I took the fox rifle down the valley for a wander last night. The bucks are not so obvious now. Walked in the field and first thing I spot a buck!! :lol:

I took a walk down to watch him and the way over I spot a fox sitting up with the cattle in the top field at about 300m. I walk over to a gate that gives me a good view up the hill to the field below the one he is in. I am a bit obvious with wheat stubble behind and still plenty of light. A quick call and over he trots and obligingly stops at 60m looking at me. Down he went.

Needless to say the buck had gone. 1744926526_IMG-20180827-WA00031.jpeg.b340342781e606fa11b3232f87821871.jpeg

8 hours ago, oowee said:

Some nice work there Hammo. I took the fox rifle down the valley for a wander last night. The bucks are not so obvious now. Walked in the field and first thing I spot a buck!! :lol:

I took a walk down to watch him and the way over I spot a fox sitting up with the cattle in the top field at about 300m. I walk over to a gate that gives me a good view up the hill to the field below the one he is in. I am a bit obvious with wheat stubble behind and still plenty of light. A quick call and over he trots and obligingly stops at 60m looking at me. Down he went.

Needless to say the buck had gone. 1744926526_IMG-20180827-WA00031.jpeg.b340342781e606fa11b3232f87821871.jpeg

:good:

I was out again last night , had 1 screaming in but came behind me downwind behind a hedge never to be seen again:unhappy:

Not seeing hardly any foxes about at the start of this season , did too good a job last season me thinks.

Covered a whole farm covered in stubble other evening and saw nothing...

Sorry for the absence gents, work work and more work really. 

Shot a vixen at home last night as I knew a few were about. Had a couple of cubs over the last couple of weeks at the chicken farm but thats about it for me. Apologies for the short report, have customers at work at the mo so just off for lunch. 

11 hours ago, oowee said:

Dougy that's a beauty ?

Back of Mc Donalds by any chance?

Lol no 

Off the neighbouring estate, they dont shoot anything so I may as well, I've been accused of it so thought,,, why not,, been hung drawn and quartered for it so may as well. 

I want to get one and sit it upright on top of a hill somewhere on the estate just for the Craig. 

The 2 shoots drink in the same pub, quite entertaining at times. 

me and grant had another 2 friday night. first one of the chicken unit which makes 23 in about 3 months. second one was on a large hill called for ten minutes when grant picked the fox up on the top of the hill through thermal. the fox was interested in the foxpro but probably sat 500 yards away. just looking despite a few different calls. time to try mk1 caller down she runs a bit of movement by us and into position job done.last one was a good one as it had obviously had a lot of attention before by someone else. 

I shot one yesterday afternoon when out with the shotgun. Heard some foxes screaming in the wood probably no more than 150 yard away, so went into stealth mode .

I clocked 3 of them in a little clearing but they spotted me and ran off , I followed them ever hopeful and was rewarded when one walked out around 40 yards away standing broadside.

I took the shot , it screamed and ran off but expired after about 50 yds :yes: 

I decided to have a bit of a go at the foxes at home for a change as I knew a few were about. First go was Sunday night. Bumped a fox before I got to the top of the drive..little sod stopped right in front of the gate so no safe shot. Got into position in the bottom corner of the field, fired up the spotter and looked into next doors field and there were 4....called off and on for about 30 minutes before the fist decided to come through onto my field, it fell at about 100 yards to a chest shot. After another hour I was fed up of watching foxes with no interest in any calls so decided to call it a night...last check and another was in my field. I watched it through the scope for another 5 minutes before it presented a safe shot. 2 dog fox cubs about  80% grown in cracking nick. 

Back out Monday night and up to the same spot. Put the caller out again and carried on much the same as the other outing. Watched 3 foxes next door....looked up the top of my field and there was a fox looking at the caller. 140 yard chest shot and No 1 was down....more calling..more watching and then checked the top of the field again and there was another fox. Round away, fox screamed and legged it but I lost sight of it pretty quick. Solid chest shot so wouldnt have made it far but could only look on my ground so that limited my search. Final check to see if the 3 had shown any interest in the call...one was on my lane so watched for a couple of minutes until it jumped through the fence to be met with a .243 round in the bib at about 60 yards. Despite looking the next day I couldnt find the 1 fox, it had also rained for a good few hours so any blood had been washed away. 

4 confirmed in 2 outings so happy at the moment with a few more to go at by the look of it. Off out on 150 acres of stubble tonight so fingers crossed. 

24 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

I decided to have a bit of a go at the foxes at home for a change as I knew a few were about. First go was Sunday night. Bumped a fox before I got to the top of the drive..little sod stopped right in front of the gate so no safe shot. Got into position in the bottom corner of the field, fired up the spotter and looked into next doors field and there were 4....called off and on for about 30 minutes before the fist decided to come through onto my field, it fell at about 100 yards to a chest shot. After another hour I was fed up of watching foxes with no interest in any calls so decided to call it a night...last check and another was in my field. I watched it through the scope for another 5 minutes before it presented a safe shot. 2 dog fox cubs about  80% grown in cracking nick. 

Back out Monday night and up to the same spot. Put the caller out again and carried on much the same as the other outing. Watched 3 foxes next door....looked up the top of my field and there was a fox looking at the caller. 140 yard chest shot and No 1 was down....more calling..more watching and then checked the top of the field again and there was another fox. Round away, fox screamed and legged it but I lost sight of it pretty quick. Solid chest shot so wouldnt have made it far but could only look on my ground so that limited my search. Final check to see if the 3 had shown any interest in the call...one was on my lane so watched for a couple of minutes until it jumped through the fence to be met with a .243 round in the bib at about 60 yards. Despite looking the next day I couldnt find the 1 fox, it had also rained for a good few hours so any blood had been washed away. 

4 confirmed in 2 outings so happy at the moment with a few more to go at by the look of it. Off out on 150 acres of stubble tonight so fingers crossed. 

There used to be a bloke on here with the same name as you. He used to do a bit of foxing but went into the building business. ???

Bumpy and I were out on Monday and had one screaming in as soon as we got out of the truck. At 80 yards he screeched to a halt , cartoon style, and legged it. It could have been the aftershave? That all we saw for the night even the rabbits were holed up and we just managed a couple. 

5 hours ago, WelshMike said:

If only we all had our own sporting estates. Can you not get the butler to have a quick scan for lost fox?;):lol:

Edited by bumpy22

20 hours ago, oowee said:

There used to be a bloke on here with the same name as you. He used to do a bit of foxing but went into the building business. 

Bumpy and I were out on Monday and had one screaming in as soon as we got out of the truck. At 80 yards he screeched to a halt , cartoon style, and legged it. It could have been the aftershave? That all we saw for the night even the rabbits were holed up and we just managed a couple. 

:lol: Sorry mate, life is all a little mad at the moment. I reckon Ed needs to change his manfume :lol:

18 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

If only we all had our own sporting estates. Can you not get the butler to have a quick scan for lost fox?

Butler resigned, living conditions were substandard :lol:

Back out last night..one of the many neglected pieces of land I make a poor attempt to look after :lol: Farm is about 350 acres of which 150 or so is now stubble which makes life a lot easier. The ground is flat as a pancake so I parked the truck and set the rifle up on the roof to give me a decent shooting angle. I set the caller up about 50 yards away and before I got back to the truck I heard a vixen call about 1/2 mile away. Tried a few calls on the caller with little luck. As is often the case a fox then appeared from nowhere and trotted towards the caller (it had a distress call running), by the time I took the shot it was only about 60 yards away and fell to a chest shot. Not a challenging shot but the farmers chickens will be a little safer. I was expecting to see a cub but it was a big old dog fox. Watched the barn owls for a bit and called it a night about 1.00...getting older and cant cope with late nights...getting out of bed was a real struggle...

Went out on Wednesday to a farm I hadn't been round for while. It's a tricky place which only has a few places where shots are possible.

Opted for the lamp again as I expected that this years cubs would be out hunting.

First scan picked up eyes over on a stubble field. Crept down a roadway and picked up the eyes in a good position. Quick mouth squeak and in she comes,dropped at about 40 yards. Young vixen.

image.jpeg.ea793c35a879df93c0f6279b7fb0bb64.jpeg

After noisily climbing a gate I was surprised to pick up another set of eyes about 200 yards off. I lost them soon after and too around which would hopefully pick up the culprit on the other side of the farm. On arriving at my ambush point I found nothing! Called for a few minutes to no avail & decided to call it a night. On retracing my steps I picked up eyes at about 100 yards. Little swine must have been lying up in a nettle patch under an oak! It looked like he was trying to get downwind of me but I managed to stop & drop him at about 80 yards. I thought it would be another youngster but it was an old dog!

image.jpeg.0c5a9a19f2381675412f099e951039b2.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Went out on Wednesday to a farm I hadn't been round for while. It's a tricky place which only has a few places where shots are possible.

Opted for the lamp again as I expected that this years cubs would be out hunting.

First scan picked up eyes over on a stubble field. Crept down a roadway and picked up the eyes in a good position. Quick mouth squeak and in she comes,dropped at about 40 yards. Young vixen.

image.jpeg.ea793c35a879df93c0f6279b7fb0bb64.jpeg

After noisily climbing a gate I was surprised to pick up another set of eyes about 200 yards off. I lost them soon after and too around which would hopefully pick up the culprit on the other side of the farm. On arriving at my ambush point I found nothing! Called for a few minutes to no avail & decided to call it a night. On retracing my steps I picked up eyes at about 100 yards. Little swine must have been lying up in a nettle patch under an oak! It looked like he was trying to get downwind of me but I managed to stop & drop him at about 80 yards. I thought it would be another youngster but it was an old dog!

image.jpeg.0c5a9a19f2381675412f099e951039b2.jpeg

great work as usual:good:

I’ve been busy on with work this week so managing to get out last night was a relief.  We had a run around on the quad and saw a distant set of eyes that certainly didn’t stick around about halfway round the 800 acres, and sod-all else. Heading back after a cold & slightly wet 3hrs, we had a flick of the lamp around the field nearest the yard & finally saw eyes trotting away from a release pen next to a spinney. Charlie stayed still whilst staring at us, resulting in this dog cub dropping to a headshot at 240yds, shooting from a good solid rest across the rear of the quad.