Fox club

WelshMike

One last night while waiting for roe on a large working garden. Roe have been seen on the garden regular. They did not show but fox turned up about 200 yards from ducks and chickens.

Thought I better post as it seems very quiet on here mike stu foxhunter richard etc are we now vegans?😀

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good stuff Ed, nearly at the 100 mark now!

If I turn vegan I will ask you to do the necessary Ed!! 😉

All very quiet here of late. Went out Wednesday night but only saw one hare! Not sure if someone else has been round my main permission as I’ve not seen much for some time now. Work tailing off now so will endeavour to catch up on my other permissions over the coming weeks. 

2 hours ago, Strongman said:

Good stuff Ed, nearly at the 100 mark now!

If I turn vegan I will ask you to do the necessary Ed!! 😉

All very quiet here of late. Went out Wednesday night but only saw one hare! Not sure if someone else has been round my main permission as I’ve not seen much for some time now. Work tailing off now so will endeavour to catch up on my other permissions over the coming weeks. 

Good man keep away from lentils. 94 I think need to check with Secretary

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 07:08, bumpy22 said:

Thought I better post as it seems very quiet on here mike stu foxhunter richard etc are we now vegans?😀

Its quiet from me as there are very few foxes about. Did have a cub last Saturday night , then I've been ill all week with a bug , got no energy at all.

Did manage to drag myself out last night and lip squeaked this cub in :yes: but am absolutely wrecked again today.

4Qpa8Lt.jpg

Glad you are still keeping the club going strong :good:

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Its quiet from me as there are very few foxes about. Did have a cub last Saturday night , then I've been ill all week with a bug , got no energy at all.

Did manage to drag myself out last night and lip squeaked this cub in  but am absolutely wrecked again today.

4Qpa8Lt.jpg

Well done that man. Fighting man flu and still called one in

On 14/09/2018 at 07:08, bumpy22 said:

One last night while waiting for roe on a large working garden. Roe have been seen on the garden regular. They did not show but fox turned up about 200 yards from ducks and chickens.

Sorry gents, had my dad visiting for the last 3 weeks so between that and the usual stately home build :lol: I havent had much time to get out or get on here. The weather looks pretty rough for most of this week so I doubt I will venture out. Off to south Wales wed followed by Suffolk next week so that wont help...

On 15/09/2018 at 15:05, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Did manage to drag myself out last night and lip squeaked this cub in  but am absolutely wrecked again today.

4Qpa8Lt.jpg

Big girl :lol: but well done on the cub...brave wee soldier :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, Farmer D said:

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I wanted to get the professionals opinion! I'm looking to buy an electronic caller and wondered what make/model you are using and what you would recommend please? 

you are in the right place the guys that contribute to this thread are extremely experienced. the founder of this has vast knowledge on everything fox related. as it his main purpose to protect the sheep that he loves so much;)

me and my partner in crime both use foxpro callers. which i cant fault after years of use. these callers really come in to there own when the breeding season starts for me. i am able to make some weird and wonderful noises on my hand. which i use for the majority of my calling. a mate of ours has a icotec caller which again looks a good bit of kit but dont have any experience of it if i am honest. 

i think most of the remote callers will be good. it will be more about what calls will work at any time of the year. as there can be a list of 200 and you will only use about half a dozen as i do. 

keep us updated and look forward to the report on here when you have success:good:

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

you are in the right place the guys that contribute to this thread are extremely experienced. the founder of this has vast knowledge on everything fox related. as it his main purpose to protect the sheep that he loves so much;)

me and my partner in crime both use foxpro callers. which i cant fault after years of use. these callers really come in to there own when the breeding season starts for me. i am able to make some weird and wonderful noises on my hand. which i use for the majority of my calling. a mate of ours has a icotec caller which again looks a good bit of kit but dont have any experience of it if i am honest. 

i think most of the remote callers will be good. it will be more about what calls will work at any time of the year. as there can be a list of 200 and you will only use about half a dozen as i do. 

keep us updated and look forward to the report on here when you have success:good:

Thanks for replying bumpy, I follow the fox club thread quite closely and know all about welshmikes deep love for the sheep ha ha!

I've looked at many callers online and only seem to find ones with american sounding calls...I've no idea what a coyote sounds like! Really looking for one with a vixen mating scream and dog fox bark for the next few months I think, our neighboring farmer won't have any shooting on his land so I'm thinking mating season I'd stand a good chance of calling them across the border with a realistic caller

47 minutes ago, Farmer D said:

Thanks for replying bumpy, I follow the fox club thread quite closely and know all about welshmikes deep love for the sheep ha ha!

I've looked at many callers online and only seem to find ones with american sounding calls...I've no idea what a coyote sounds like! Really looking for one with a vixen mating scream and dog fox bark for the next few months I think, our neighboring farmer won't have any shooting on his land so I'm thinking mating season I'd stand a good chance of calling them across the border with a realistic caller

i think all the icotec ones have the fox calls on them or can have them put on when purchased. the foxpros can be bought of there site from a list. usually start in november and then the calls will work through january. when you have sorted one fox another will soon take its place when they are on heat and can certainly be drawn from  far.

Yep agree with Bumpy , I have a FoxPro and has served me well. As he says come November and they start looking for love it has great mating calls on it that work with great effect.

Wish it was Novemeber now as really struggling to grass foxes at present , just not seeing them but hopefully a few will fall once they are pairing up...

Edited by FOXHUNTER1

Why do I get all the abuse :lol:

You can download calls onto both the foxpro and the icotec. Foxpro is more of a faff to download but I think the caller is more robust then the icotec version. I have an Icotec at the mo and find it works fine as long as you play the right sound :lol: In reality I use about 6 calls all year:

Vixen, Dog, gekkering, cubs, 2 misc "animal in distress calls"...oh and the mark one fox caller (unless it has picked up a fox with no gloves) 

+1on the foxpro. 

I ventured out last week and saw nothing until right at the top fields of a permission. Was with the lamp and picked up eyes within a flock of sheep.

Got on the sticks and gave it a squeak, sure enough out he came but without a great backstop. Lip squeaked him a bit closer but had to go over to the wam to get him in a safe shot! Over went a really fat dog fox!

81C2A5D6-C6DD-4F16-BAE0-E3BE36BC7CAF.jpeg.536337ef001e166e3968f23658cdf533.jpeg

Saw nothing else all night. 

10 hours ago, Strongman said:

+1on the foxpro. 

I ventured out last week and saw nothing until right at the top fields of a permission. Was with the lamp and picked up eyes within a flock of sheep.

Got on the sticks and gave it a squeak, sure enough out he came but without a great backstop. Lip squeaked him a bit closer but had to go over to the wam to get him in a safe shot! Over went a really fat dog fox!

81C2A5D6-C6DD-4F16-BAE0-E3BE36BC7CAF.jpeg.536337ef001e166e3968f23658cdf533.jpeg

Saw nothing else all night. 

Well done mate. Seriously bright moon last night 

Despite the full moon I thought I would venture out at home last night. Walked up the lane and headed to the usual spot after dropping off the caller in the middle of the field. Not hopeful as it was very bright. Quick flick of the torch and there was a fox in the corner of the field...must have followed me :lol: Lay down to take the shot as it legged it..it stopped very briefly but I could only see the top of its head...bullet away and a miss over the top...plonker. Fox headed up the next field and stopped at about 170 yards, the second shot found its mark. 

Decided to head back down the fields. Got about 50 yards from the house and there was some bright eye shine in the pig pen (no pigs in there at the mo). Ive seen it a couple of times before but never seen the owner. Got set up on the sticks and whatever it was was hiding in the thistles. Watched for a couple of minutes and out the fox came..it was strange as it was looking like it wanted to jump the fence but couldnt figure out how. After it turned face on I put a 58 grain BT round in its bib at about 60 yards. 

2 more vixens down (this years cubs). Back home for 9.30. 

crsGt7o.jpg

It was like daylight here Mike. I considered going out but when I saw how light it was I changed my mind! No point educating them unnecessarily. 

Hows the renovation going mate?The grand opening must be happening soon?!!!

Did you have some cloud cover down you way then Ed? If not that’s a good effort with how light it was. 

Good stuff Mike. I could see 100 yards without a torch last night so two is impressive. 

I might have to reconsider and get out later this week. 

25 minutes ago, Strongman said:

It was like daylight here Mike. I considered going out but when I saw how light it was I changed my mind! No point educating them unnecessarily. 

Hows the renovation going mate?The grand opening must be happening soon?!!!

Did you have some cloud cover down you way then Ed? If not that’s a good effort with how light it was. 

Good stuff Mike. I could see 100 yards without a torch last night so two is impressive. 

I might have to reconsider and get out later this week. 

The renovation is going :lol: not sure how well though. 

I am nearly done with the new blockwork walls and just sorting out the wall plates/ supports for the roof purlins. Typically with an old house the 4 purlins are all at different heights relative to the blockwork so lots of "tweaking" with oak blocks and lots of coach screws and bolts. Hopefully all the blockwork will be done and purlins supported in a week or so which will allow us to remove all the acrow props. Couple of floors up and some beam repairs ready for the new flooring above the dining room. Once thats done we can start knocking through into the extension (through a 600mm stone wall), new piers, 3 new steels...list goes on for a while.  

On 25/09/2018 at 20:16, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Good stuff Mike...

After 2 weeks of being ill I just had to get some fresh air last night . Lack of foxes and that full moon made me take the HMR , not expecting to see anything .

Anyway I did bag a few , a guy asked me for a hare who supplies me with honey so I managed to get his order filled

N4DoHFV.jpg

Nicely done Mark. What a good deal..manky old hare for nice honey :lol:

I have to apologise for the next bit....

Met up with a friend of a friend last night to let him zero his rifle at my place. Nice guy and im taking him out for a shot tonight. After we finished he headed home and I headed out in our bottom fields as there was a dead lamb that had been well chewed over a couple of days. Walked between the barns and flicked the torch..Mr Fox in the bottom of the field about 180 yards. Got behind the rifle but not a good spot and he trotted off and disappeared. 1/2 hour later spotted some more eye shine. By the time I was set up the fox was ripping chunks out of the lamb. Round away, fox down and back in the house by 9.30.....easy...Sorry Mark :P

On 25/09/2018 at 18:24, bumpy22 said:

well done mike. same problem here moon light. but lack of foxes is probably a good thing as a lot have been taken of some small permissions.  

got invite on some great ground this weekend so should get a few

Cheers Ed. Nice to see them a nice not to in some cases..especially when chickens are involved. Have fun this weekend. 

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Nicely done Mark. What a good deal..manky old hare for nice honey 

I have to apologise for the next bit....

Met up with a friend of a friend last night to let him zero his rifle at my place. Nice guy and im taking him out for a shot tonight. After we finished he headed home and I headed out in our bottom fields as there was a dead lamb that had been well chewed over a couple of days. Walked between the barns and flicked the torch..Mr Fox in the bottom of the field about 180 yards. Got behind the rifle but not a good spot and he trotted off and disappeared. 1/2 hour later spotted some more eye shine. By the time I was set up the fox was ripping chunks out of the lamb. Round away, fox down and back in the house by 9.30.....easy...Sorry Mark 

Cheers Ed. Nice to see them a nice not to in some cases..especially when chickens are involved. Have fun this weekend. 

well done mike :good:but the bit about met up with a friend:hmm:slightly hard to believe:yahoo:

35 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

i could not resist it was too easyme and grant are looking forward to our invite. will be nice to see a real castle 

:lol: You must have looked at the wrong pic on Google maps..Powis Castle isnt my place :lol: 

Off out later to see how my new friend shoots when the target is furry and ginger. He has a Tikka T3 lite so I reckon he is really a tool as most people who have that rifle are weird...What do you shoot with Ed :lol: