WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Cheers Mike , I thought it was a good deal too , I got a jar of honey , a dozen eggs and 2 jars of home made jam

Still no luck with foxes .....saw 2 Friday night but no shot available

You shot them all last year mate. 

Friday night I decided to walk 20 yards from the house to watch the dead lamb in the bottom field. Within 10 minutes a vixen met a 58 grain BT at about 100 yards followed 30 minutes later by a dog. Ive had 10 at home in the last 6 weeks with virtually no effort. Have a load of catching up to do with my other ground so likely to be out a fair bit over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it will be as easy as the last few outings...but I doubt it. 

14 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Thanks for that mate , it makes me feel loads better :thanks:

Hopefully luck will change soon , had a roebuck on Saturday evening with my mate so not all bad :)

:lol: Just to make you feel even better .... 

Back out last night to a piece of ground I hadnt been to for about 6 months. The farmer said all was quiet but I wanted to make a start as I have had issues with foxes there around lambing time before. Quick tour of the main farm and all was quiet. Set the caller out on chicken distress and about 30 seconds later in comes the fox. Turned the caller off and lay down for the shot..hadnt turned the caller off so on it goes just as Im lining the shot up...the fox ran full tilt at the caller, got to the caller then jumped in the air like a scalded cat and ran off across the field. A slightly rushed shot caught the fox slightly back followed by a second shot to end proceedings. No pic as this was one heck of a mess. One of this years cubs 

Over to the second piece of ground. Parked the truck, through the gate and a quick scan with the torch picked up eye shine at the top of the bank. A quick trot up a steep bank, set up, NV on and the fox is sat about 120 yards away trying to figure out whats going on. Round away and down Mr fox goes. Nice big dog fox and a happy farmer.  

R4Cltmm.jpg

2 from the other night 

6QYDHGx.jpg

This year started off really slow with very little fox trouble. But its gone mental the past few weeks had a vixen kill 177 ducks in one night last week (got her the next night) and another vixen kill 110 ducks this Tuesday night got her last night. Luckily they are leaving the geese alone.

13 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

AT LAST !!!!!!!

Well Mike I eventually connected last night. 10 minutes of calling with the cub call had this dog fox coming in a treat. Let him come to 70 - 80 yds before dropping him:shoot:

KP2TtJb.jpg

Finally.....well done that man. 

12 hours ago, bornfree said:

This year started off really slow with very little fox trouble. But its gone mental the past few weeks had a vixen kill 177 ducks in one night last week (got her the next night) and another vixen kill 110 ducks this Tuesday night got her last night. Luckily they are leaving the geese alone.

Well done on getting those 2 dealt with mate. I dont envy you looking after 40,000+ ducks and geese. I have enough trouble with 55,000 chickens and they get shut in each night. 

On 05/10/2018 at 19:41, bornfree said:

Only 60'000 geese and 110'000 ducks on the farm at the moment.😁

...170,000 ...no need to show off :lol:

20 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well I managed another dog fox last night , no calling , spotted eye shine and stalked in closer. He was laid down at the edge of a wood scratching himself until a 100 grainer put him to sleep

Q51JpLx.jpg

Getting the hang of this fox shooting lark again mate :lol: Nice looking fox. 

I would imagine that there's no straight-forward answer to my question so I'm looking for opinions, not facts. We know that the ability for a bullet to kill is not simply down to energy but many other considerations have to be taken into account. There's two ways I could ask said question. One is to ask, 'at what range......?' Yep, I'm only after opinions, but as we well know, one man's 100 yards is another man's 130 so even though it's simply an opinion, the answer is often flawed. So, the other way; for a chest shot what would be the minimum energy requirement that you would deem necessary to ensure as far as reasonably certain a clean kill for a truly aimed shot at a fox with a 17 grain .172" ballistic tipped bullet of an applicable construction? In other words, it doesn't necessarily have to be fired by a 17HMR.

On 08/10/2018 at 19:47, wymberley said:

I would imagine that there's no straight-forward answer to my question so I'm looking for opinions, not facts. We know that the ability for a bullet to kill is not simply down to energy but many other considerations have to be taken into account. There's two ways I could ask said question. One is to ask, 'at what range......?' Yep, I'm only after opinions, but as we well know, one man's 100 yards is another man's 130 so even though it's simply an opinion, the answer is often flawed. So, the other way; for a chest shot what would be the minimum energy requirement that you would deem necessary to ensure as far as reasonably certain a clean kill for a truly aimed shot at a fox with a 17 grain .172" ballistic tipped bullet of an applicable construction? In other words, it doesn't necessarily have to be fired by a 17HMR.

Bit technical for me unfortunately mate. Opinion time....standard factory ammo out of my .17 HMR (17 grain BT) out to 100 yards, head shot straight in the forehead and they dont get up. Prefer head to chest shots. Plenty of the other members will disagree and I appreciate the shouldnt head shoot camp...however it works for me. I would also like to mention that if I am after foxes in normal surroundings I take my .243 and shoot them with 58 Grain Winchester Varmint X and opt for chest shots. This stops them pretty well and they dont tend to go anywhere.  

5 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Bit technical for me unfortunately mate. Opinion time....standard factory ammo out of my .17 HMR (17 grain BT) out to 100 yards, head shot straight in the forehead and they dont get up. Prefer head to chest shots. Plenty of the other members will disagree and I appreciate the shouldnt head shoot camp...however it works for me. I would also like to mention that if I am after foxes in normal surroundings I take my .243 and shoot them with 58 Grain Winchester Varmint X and opt for chest shots. This stops them pretty well and they dont tend to go anywhere.  

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Mike.

I agree (ish - a bit shorter range perhaps for these old eyes) with the 100 yards in the head. But I wouldn't like to shoot at that small target at a greater distance in daylight let alone with a lamp even if there was sufficient energy. However, Mike, you're an experienced fox shooter with no need for bragging rights so as your "x" yards are likely to be x yards - or close - as there will be a greater energy requirement to kill cleanly for a chest shot, what for this would be your maximum range with the bullet in question?

On 08/10/2018 at 19:47, wymberley said:

I reckon. For HMR max range is about 100yds for chest shot. 17g HMR has 130lbs of energy at 100 yds. If you can hit the chest missing the front shoulder its down and dead. May run a bit as its heart and lung. Hit the shoulder and it may well run away. I guess this may work a bit beyond this range but I would not try it. For head shot I have seen one dropped at 165 yds. 

Same vagaries with any ammunition. For air rifle on rabbits where I would reckon 50 yds would be about max for a sub 12 but I think I saw SI Pittaway drop one at 80 yds with a sub 12. 

Edited by oowee

28 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Mike.

I agree (ish - a bit shorter range perhaps for these old eyes) with the 100 yards in the head. But I wouldn't like to shoot at that small target at a greater distance in daylight let alone with a lamp even if there was sufficient energy. However, Mike, you're an experienced fox shooter with no need for bragging rights so as your "x" yards are likely to be x yards - or close - as there will be a greater energy requirement to kill cleanly for a chest shot, what for this would be your maximum range with the bullet in question?

The closer the range the shorter the walk to get it :lol: I steer well clear of bragging as 1 of my mates has a custom 6.5/.284 and he is a stunning shot. He asked me if I wanted to shoot a sika pricket at 520 yards..of course...just need to be 400 yards closer :lol:

Back to reality and the question....If I need to chest shoot a fox with the .17 Hmr with 17 grain bullets and I have a bib or true side on shot avoiding front shoulder I want to be within 70 yards. As I mentioned I dont shoot a lot of foxes with the Hmr as I opt for the .243 but all that I have chest shot have run and all that I head shoot have dropped on the spot. The chest shot ones dont make it far but far enough that I need to search for them next day.  I reckon shooters are worse the beekeepers in that if you ask 10 beekeepers the same question you get 11 answers and with shooter you get 15 different ones....I do both so god help us.  

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

The closer the range the shorter the walk to get it  I steer well clear of bragging as 1 of my mates has a custom 6.5/.284 and he is a stunning shot. He asked me if I wanted to shoot a sika pricket at 520 yards..of course...just need to be 400 yards closer 

Back to reality and the question....If I need to chest shoot a fox with the .17 Hmr with 17 grain bullets and I have a bib or true side on shot avoiding front shoulder I want to be within 70 yards. As I mentioned I dont shoot a lot of foxes with the Hmr as I opt for the .243 but all that I have chest shot have run and all that I head shoot have dropped on the spot. The chest shot ones dont make it far but far enough that I need to search for them next day.  I reckon shooters are worse the beekeepers in that if you ask 10 beekeepers the same question you get 11 answers and with shooter you get 15 different ones....I do both so god help us.  

Thanks for your input here and elsewhere, Mike. All is looking good so just have to try and kick everyone into gear now but I fear that it's going to be a tad drawn out with probably the D&C Constabulary being the quickest off the mark I suspect.

Things had slowed down with the foxes and sped up with work, so getting out & getting a charlie have been both quite rare! 

Popped out last night for a quick look around with the intention of trying out my new S&B 8x56. We had a peek on the main farm & saw a few but the wind wasn’t working well last night and nothing would stand. After a couple of hours we swung into a new bit of ground next door, ending up with 2 dog foxes (including one proper old boy) and one of this year’s vixens, all within 20mins. That’ll keep the new landowner happy then! 

0887A207-274D-4B62-B299-8B35FB6069A4.jpeg

Edited by Bumble

18 hours ago, wymberley said:

Thanks for your input here and elsewhere, Mike. All is looking good so just have to try and kick everyone into gear now but I fear that it's going to be a tad drawn out with probably the D&C Constabulary being the quickest off the mark I suspect.

Fingers crossed they are super efficient and you can go out and spend some cash :good:

5 hours ago, Bumble said:

Things had slowed down with the foxes and sped up with work, so getting out & getting a charlie have been both quite rare! 

Popped out last night for a quick look around with the intention of trying out my new S&B 8x56. We had a peek on the main farm & saw a few but the wind wasn’t working well last night and nothing would stand. After a couple of hours we swung into a new bit of ground next door, ending up with 2 dog foxes (including one proper old boy) and one of this year’s vixens, all within 20mins. That’ll keep the new landowner happy then! 

0887A207-274D-4B62-B299-8B35FB6069A4.jpeg

Well done on the foxes mate. Its nice to have a good result especially when getting out is a rarity. Work doesnt half get in the way of hobbies, but it pays for them so has to come first. 

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Fingers crossed they are super efficient and you can go out and spend some cash :good:

Well done on the foxes mate. Its nice to have a good result especially when getting out is a rarity. Work doesnt half get in the way of hobbies, but it pays for them so has to come first. 

I'm pretty sure that I've had a stroke of luck but as yet I'm not quite sure to what extent that is. Have to wait until Monday to find out.

Edited by wymberley

On 12/10/2018 at 20:11, bornfree said:

Another vixen last night that's 4 over two weeks and the earliest one ive ever shot 9.45 pm.

Well done mate. Early finish and a nice £150 in your pocket, well done. 

Off out on 400 acres tonight. Had a look during daylight hours today as they have done a load of work on the yard...and I dont want to fall down a post hole in the dark :lol:

Well done mate. Early finish and a nice £150 in your pocket, well done. 

Off out on 400 acres tonight. Had a look during daylight hours today as they have done a load of work on the yard...and I dont want to fall down a post hole in the dark 

good luck mike. me and the main man have planned a nights foxing this weekend. we have been up to our eyes in other jobs at the minute. so without tempting fate the triple figure could be broke. will get secretary to count up this week

we have both just got the new 4k xsights so all being well and my rail turns up we will have a report:yes:

Edited by bumpy22