Fox club

WelshMike

Went out for a look last night and after a slight disaster on the first charlie I saw (bipod caught on bonnet vent as I adjusted the shot & folded up, followed by a hell of a clang when the mod hit the bonnet 😩), this one came trotting in to the lampman’s hand call and sat up to leave me an easy shot off the truck roof at 180yds. She was a proper smelly old vixen, and I’m glad it wasn’t me who went to carry her out the field! 

07B4C115-D3AE-4E3D-AC95-8ECDA00E8B85.jpeg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good shooting bumble 👍

I had an interesting one on Fri night. I shot it from kitchen window with .223 50g vmax no more than 60 yards. Down on the spot and I confirmed it was motionless 5 mins later when I closed the window. I left it where it dropped and Sunday morning when I went to collect it and it had moved 10 yards. There are badgers about but it was not chewed. I checked the shot and it was Bang on the money, quartering in the shoulder to explosive exit rear quarter. There is no way it was anything but dead. 

Pixies?

20 minutes ago, oowee said:

Good shooting bumble 👍

I had an interesting one on Fri night. I shot it from kitchen window with .223 50g vmax no more than 60 yards. Down on the spot and I confirmed it was motionless 5 mins later when I closed the window. I left it where it dropped and Sunday morning when I went to collect it and it had moved 10 yards. There are badgers about but it was not chewed. I checked the shot and it was Bang on the money, quartering in the shoulder to explosive exit rear quarter. There is no way it was anything but dead. 

Pixies?

Probably another fox mate , I have seen it before a couple of times...

I was out last night and the vixen mating call did its trick again. Pulled in this horny dog fox from quite a long way off in to 70 yds :yes:

cmCIIig.jpg

Out last night with Bumpy and the conditions were perfect. There were three of us last night which given the lack of cover and the moonlight was less than ideal but we were demonstrating the ATN 4k so a sale was at stake 🙂 It was one of those cold dry nights when the thermal looks like daylight and the NV can see almost to the horizon or at least to the edge of the golf course. I handed over my thermal to our guest which would leave me a little blind but with just the one rifle it made sense.

We set off and the first thing missing was the rabbits. Looking over the course there was nothing in sight. Given the lack of cover we should at least see something, maybe tonight would not be as good as it looked. Then Bumpy spotted a strange looking rabbit. He was using black hot so I borrowed my thermal to look in white but could not make it out maybe just 80 yards ahead. I switched to NV and could make out what looked to be an ear of a fox. I set up on the sticks and Bumpy let out a call. The ear jumped from the spot and turned in a single movement and ran towards us. In a moment it was filling the scope and it stopped at about 30 yards. A bib to bum shot turned it to mush.

we carried on and still no rabbits. Down to the bank, back up. Trying all the time to keep to the margins and shadows. Coming to a brow Bumpy could at last see a rabbit. I tried for the sticks but a sudden drop in the breeze and the 50 yard rabbit was away. Another now to the right against the hedge line but it too wasn't hanging about. As we made our way back Bumpy spots one about 200 yards out. It's flat here and we have no safe shot and we are also out in the open with strong moonlight coming from behind. We quickly retreat and I Bumpy and I climb a small hill about 3m high and stand very still. I have the fox in my sight now and watch it moseying about in our direction. Bumpy calls and a moment later it's sprinting towards us. For a moment it disappears from view behind the branches of a tree then its in the open. Still running and close now, very close. A bark, it stops and the shot drops it on the spot at 45yds another bib to bum. 

We saw a couple more but they did not want to play so they can wait until next time. With a completed sale and two foxes in the bag it was a great night out. 

IMG-20181029-WA0000[1].jpg

IMG-20181030-WA0000[1].jpg

On 26/10/2018 at 18:50, bumpy22 said:

Glad you added that bit on mike. Some of the members can be childish and poke fun of you🤔 to be fair you do try hard with your shooting😂

Thanks for the support Ed.....wait a mo..its usually you poking fun at me :lol:

Tied up with building works as usual and work is madly busy....need to dust the rifle off (literally) and get out. 

3 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Thanks for the support Ed.....wait a mo..its usually you poking fun at me :lol:

Tied up with building works as usual and work is madly busy....need to dust the rifle off (literally) and get out. 

it must be nearly time for a trip over here with me and grant:hmm:this mansion rebuild is really getting in the way now

Hey up gents of the fox club.

Sorry not been around for a while, got diagnosed with a bit of cancer 6 weeks ago which kind of threw a spanner in my fox shooting for a while. Had some surgery and a bit of chemo, just waiting to see consultant in December now to see where we're going with it, but feel fit enough to get back in the saddle with the foxing. Back in work too so can't be that bad! 😆

Went out for a zeroing session on Saturday to the quarry and timing couldn't have been better. "Oh you've timed that well" said the owner:

45638279281_66145e2d03.jpg

Yeah, lambs in October. 🤔 Not only are they lambs, they're two Valais lambs hiding under there - big money! No pressure then. 😆

So I'd shot this area quite heavily last winter but it has had a decent break time-wise since my last visit, so was expecting a bit action. Wasn't disappointed either. Picked two up on a walk-around and another come into the vixen call. Need to get my strength back up to 100% before I contemplate tackling the big hills, but good to get back out.

31766011108_1455086c9b_c.jpg

44138428214_8fd99761b3_c.jpg

43948696665_8f1830baa5_c.jpg

I’m sure that everyone on here will have their fingers crossed for you too Stu.

I suppose spring will be a breeze if lambing is out of the way before December! Perhaps then you could pop down and give Mike a hand with his mansion, he’s really kicking the **** out of it now!!

Great to see you back posting stu. I think as said earlier by Richard we all on here wish you the best.we look forward to hearing more from you as you get back to full fitness in no time. Back to mike I think its a case of trying to organise a army of workman on huge salaries to renovate a country estate. Then making out you are doing it yourself🤔but if we could all stop taking the p##s out of him😂

17 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

it must be nearly time for a trip over here with me and grant:hmm:this mansion rebuild is really getting in the way now

:lol:

12 hours ago, racing snake said:

Hey up gents of the fox club.

Sorry not been around for a while, got diagnosed with a bit of cancer 6 weeks ago which kind of threw a spanner in my fox shooting for a while. Had some surgery and a bit of chemo, just waiting to see consultant in December now to see where we're going with it, but feel fit enough to get back in the saddle with the foxing. Back in work too so can't be that bad! 😆

Went out for a zeroing session on Saturday to the quarry and timing couldn't have been better. "Oh you've timed that well" said the owner:

45638279281_66145e2d03.jpg

Yeah, lambs in October. 🤔 Not only are they lambs, they're two Valais lambs hiding under there - big money! No pressure then. 😆

So I'd shot this area quite heavily last winter but it has had a decent break time-wise since my last visit, so was expecting a bit action. Wasn't disappointed either. Picked two up on a walk-around and another come into the vixen call. Need to get my strength back up to 100% before I contemplate tackling the big hills, but good to get back out.

31766011108_1455086c9b_c.jpg

44138428214_8fd99761b3_c.jpg

43948696665_8f1830baa5_c.jpg

Sorry to hear you havent been well buddy. Glad you are feeling better and well done on the foxes. 

Lambs at this time of year....madness. :lol:

12 hours ago, Strongman said:

I’m sure that everyone on here will have their fingers crossed for you too Stu.

I suppose spring will be a breeze if lambing is out of the way before December! Perhaps then you could pop down and give Mike a hand with his mansion, he’s really kicking the **** out of it now!!

12 hours ago, racing snake said:

has he still not finished it? Bloody hell he's milking it now! 🤣 Thanks again Rich .

You cheeky swines :lol: It isnt easy when evenings and weekends are the only time we can do stuff. We have done a fair bit since we started in Feb but have lost a lot of time with the unexpected issues. We have replaced about half of the oak floor joist and a main beam, downstairs, built 2 new full height structural walls, installed new stairs, replaced a load of flooring upstairs....

Currently...knocking through a main external wall (which is now internal) to make the front room bigger. Wall is 500mm thick stone so fun and games with doing that and not collapsing the wall on top of us :lol: Thats probably bored you all to tears for the moment. 

Did a bit of work on the "mansion" last night (building regs are round tomorrow to inspect my footings) so wasnt planning to head out. Got a text from the farmer at the chicken farm saying a fox had been spotted so thought I better head out.  

Arrived and got set up with the caller. After about 10 mins I was frozen so headed off for a walk to warm me up :lol: Had a check on the one field where the fox had been seen and was met with seriously bright eye shine that was perfectly white...bloody cats...or so I thought. Headed over the gate into the field and another check with the lamp showed the same eyes...I thought I better check as the farm cats dont normally head off in the direction that the eyes had gone in..NV on ..FOX....NUMPTY

Managed to get set up and he was still there. He dropped at about 70 yards to a chest shot. Happy farmer and a lesson learnt. 

Popped over to the big farm for a look last night, to get there and be told the lamping truck was out of action for some mechanical reason and we’d have to use the quad, which fortunately has a rifle rack/rest on it. Ah well, time to wrap up, stick a cushion on the back of the quad & crack on!

After a good ride around & a fair few rabbits dealt with using the shotgun, we picked up this old girl quickly limping away down a hedgeline towards a wood with a release pen in that the pheasants favour as a roost too. She stopped to look back at a shout at about 140yds & I dropped her with a neck shot off the bar on the quad.  Upon inspection, her front right leg was swinging loose at the shoulder, so I’m guessing she’d had an argument with a car, and not one we want waiting for an easy meal when they come down from roost! 

801289BD-B6DB-4964-B198-12C119B98C96.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bumble said:

Popped over to the big farm for a look last night, to get there and be told the lamping truck was out of action for some mechanical reason and we’d have to use the quad, which fortunately has a rifle rack/rest on it. Ah well, time to wrap up, stick a cushion on the back of the quad & crack on!

After a good ride around & a fair few rabbits dealt with using the shotgun, we picked up this old girl quickly limping away down a hedgeline towards a wood with a release pen in that the pheasants favour as a roost too. She stopped to look back at a shout at about 140yds & I dropped her with a neck shot off the bar on the quad.  Upon inspection, her front right leg was swinging loose at the shoulder, so I’m guessing she’d had an argument with a car, and not one we want waiting for an easy meal when they come down from roost! 

801289BD-B6DB-4964-B198-12C119B98C96.jpeg

Nicely done mate :good:

21 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Nicely done mate :good:

Cheers mate. It’s a farm shoot where the old boys get together to release and feed the birds for a few 50-60 bird days, and I get to do all their fox control. I return, I get the use of lamping vehicles and fuel, plus a day stood on a peg in December. Suits me fine! 

2 hours ago, Bumble said:

Cheers mate. It’s a farm shoot where the old boys get together to release and feed the birds for a few 50-60 bird days, and I get to do all their fox control. I return, I get the use of lamping vehicles and fuel, plus a day stood on a peg in December. Suits me fine! 

Sounds a good deal mate. I barely get thanks from most of the farmers I shoot for :lol: 

me and Grant ventured out again last night using the atn x sight 4k. but this time fitted with new ir and the results were great.very clean crisp picture at long range. first place was the chicken unit. as soon as we entered the ground we spot a large heat source in the field amongst the rabbits. a quick confirmation through the x sight. it was a fox curled up i the middle of the field. got set on the gate a few squeaks and in he comes.quick shout and dropped at about 40 yards.a large very old dog fox with very little teeth. that takes us to 25 of that permission in about 4 months

as we were driving to next permission Grant commented how well they are coming to the call at the moment. i suggested it was down to food stocks dwindling berries etc with the exception being apples. pull up to the gate Grant checks fields behind. i check the ones in front. in the orchard is a fox jumping up and feeding of the apples lol. again get set up on the gate a few squeaks brings him 200 yards down the field and over a hedge. to about 30 yards and another large dog fox in the bag. another successful night with the numbers still rising this year. there seems to be a endless supply of foxes this year here

Edited by bumpy22