Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure I want to step down to role as president do you Edd? It's a long way down 😐 and besides neither of us have the presedential man bag. 

Out walking up a few pheasant this morning to try and shake of my weekend 🤣🤐 Dog flushed a fox so I know where i need to go one night this week. I have one in the field / garden here and I have to tidy up the non producing chickens at some point so with them and the pheasant carcasses I should have plenty of bait. Just need it to come when I am looking out of the window 🙂 

3 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Well done gents ...apart from the bag related comments 

House and work seem to take all of my time...last fox I shot was in a fox trap so not worthy of reporting back. 

Think I need to step down as fox club president..Grant and Ed- care to take it on as a dual role? 

no chance you are a man of authority. you dont take any messing from any of us lot :lol: 

you just need to get the whip cracking. that army of staff are dragging the estate make over out. must be the overtime rate

Ventured out last night to a farm where I knew there was a couple of foxes as I saw them a few weeks ago with no success.

I set up in my favourite spot with the caller 60 yards out in front. After calling for 15 mins I eventually got eye shine coming up a hedgerow 2 fields away. I continued calling in the dark expecting the fox to take a little while to come in but on flicking the torch back on there it was 140 yds away sitting down. Dropped a vixen quickly with a round straight through the shoulders .:)

Continued calling and another appeared a long way out over the boundary and would not come in , tried loads of different calls and it wouldn't budge , hopefully next time it will respond...

dLWGvWK.jpg

👍 Tidy work FH1.

We were expecting to get wet last night after a downpour just before we went out but in the end all was well. I was keen to get out with the drone and hoping that all of the moisture would prove a good test. 

First stop and we spot a fox in the orchard eating apples and decide to set up on the gate rather than enter the field. It was about 300 yds  and not in a great place with cover. Pheasant distress saw it trot out the back of the orchard and along the bottom of the hedge to disappear into heavy cover. We spotted it again laying down in cover but it was going nowhere. We entered the field and pushed on up to about 100 yards and it was not budging. I was pretty sure i could nail it through the cover but I could not give 100% id and the shot was certainly not clear. After trying a few calls we pushed onto 50 yds and tried again. It was having none of it and we guessed it was probably drunk on the apples. We tried a torch to light it up and still no joy. So Bumpy set off to the right with the torch to encourage it out. 

Within a few minutes and with Bumpy very close it decided to make its move along the bottom of the hill in thick cover. We upped sticks and trotted level with it following the contours. At the end of the cover it started to go up the hill at which point I had it in the scope. Bumpy stopped it with an 'Oi' and I tried for a shot. The body was partially obscured by a branch and a bit of a shuffle and it dropped at 140yds. 

Off to the chicken unit and we spot one at about 250 responding to the caller but not coming in. Eventually its mousing about at 180yds and it's hit with the .223 bang on the money but takes off up the field. It drops after 30 yds and stays down. We continue to call and another comes into the field and starts to sniff its mate. After a few efforts of necrophilia with it's dead mate it follows the blood trail back to where the last one was shot and starts mousing about  where we are waiting for it on the top of the bails. Three in the bag for a good evenings work and a nice way to open the drone account.

28 off the chicken unit and 117 down in total. 

IMG-20181112-WA0000[1].jpg

17 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

no chance you are a man of authority. you dont take any messing from any of us lot  

you just need to get the whip cracking. that army of staff are dragging the estate make over out. must be the overtime rate

17 hours ago, Strongman said:

Surely a prerequisite for an appointment such as Fox club president is a stately home such as yours Mike. Only then could you wear a man bag with such respect as you command 😂

:lol: Thanks Gents. I feel I am letting the side down by doing virtually no shooting at all...but needs must at the moment...need heating lol 

10 hours ago, oowee said:

👍 Tidy work FH1.

We were expecting to get wet last night after a downpour just before we went out but in the end all was well. I was keen to get out with the drone and hoping that all of the moisture would prove a good test. 

First stop and we spot a fox in the orchard eating apples and decide to set up on the gate rather than enter the field. It was about 300 yds  and not in a great place with cover. Pheasant distress saw it trot out the back of the orchard and along the bottom of the hedge to disappear into heavy cover. We spotted it again laying down in cover but it was going nowhere. We entered the field and pushed on up to about 100 yards and it was not budging. I was pretty sure i could nail it through the cover but I could not give 100% id and the shot was certainly not clear. After trying a few calls we pushed onto 50 yds and tried again. It was having none of it and we guessed it was probably drunk on the apples. We tried a torch to light it up and still no joy. So Bumpy set off to the right with the torch to encourage it out. 

Within a few minutes and with Bumpy very close it decided to make its move along the bottom of the hill in thick cover. We upped sticks and trotted level with it following the contours. At the end of the cover it started to go up the hill at which point I had it in the scope. Bumpy stopped it with an 'Oi' and I tried for a shot. The body was partially obscured by a branch and a bit of a shuffle and it dropped at 140yds. 

Off to the chicken unit and we spot one at about 250 responding to the caller but not coming in. Eventually its mousing about at 180yds and it's hit with the .223 bang on the money but takes off up the field. It drops after 30 yds and stays down. We continue to call and another comes into the field and starts to sniff its mate. After a few efforts of necrophilia with it's dead mate it follows the blood trail back to where the last one was shot and starts mousing about  where we are waiting for it on the top of the bails. Three in the bag for a good evenings work and a nice way to open the drone account.

28 off the chicken unit and 117 down in total. 

IMG-20181112-WA0000[1].jpg

Great stuff lads , don't get dopey foxes like that up North :no:

28 minutes ago, oowee said:

Looks like you have been busy 👍

Bumpy is using vmax in his .243 I am sure he will be along in a bit and let you know. 

The 50g vmax are awesome in my little 223.

not vmax sierra game king 85 g hpbt. seem to do the job:yes: was using 100gn for deer which were great but had a few pencilling the foxes. so changed from soft point to hollow points. also had good load with nosler partition but these are a lot cheaper

Good to see the numbers still coming in! Well done gents.

Had a look over a new 700 acre plot on Sunday night. Looks promising but really exposed and high up (1400ft). Blowing a gale when I was up there on Sunday, but  despite only having a quick walk round I managed to pull this vixen in to the hand call. Type of plot that's going to suit a cold, frosty and still night better I think.

32013431068_a3cf7b2bfa_c.jpg

16 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

mike uses some lighter bullets in his foxing 243 but not sure which ones. he has good results with them

14 hours ago, oowee said:

He has all but stopped shooting so may have some gear going cheap

14 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

no chance. as if he would let them evil foxes anywhere near his precious sheep. wait till lambing he will be like a man possessed :yahoo:mansion finished or not he will be there to protect

:lol: Cheers gents..some bits true some bits not so :lol:

I use 58 Grain Winchester Varmint x rounds in my .243 for the foxes. Fast and hard hitting and certainly do the job. 

11 hours ago, racing snake said:

Good to see the numbers still coming in! Well done gents.

Had a look over a new 700 acre plot on Sunday night. Looks promising but really exposed and high up (1400ft). Blowing a gale when I was up there on Sunday, but  despite only having a quick walk round I managed to pull this vixen in to the hand call. Type of plot that's going to suit a cold, frosty and still night better I think.

32013431068_a3cf7b2bfa_c.jpg

Well done mate. As Grant says I am letting the side down...no chance of any cheap foxing kit though :lol:

16 hours ago, Daieye said:

Cheers Mike

Will try these to start

👍

No worries mate. .243 is a cracking round, have fun :good:

14 hours ago, Bumble said:

I use the Winchester 58gr VarmintX too, they are superb on charlies (and neck shot munties when I take the wrong ammo wallet stalking!) 

:lol: Well placed .243 round tends to put most things on the deck. 

It's been a weird year for foxes here. My season starts in April when the first geese go out and nothing no foxes for several weeks then really busy with adults then cubs through June July and August . Another very quiet spell through September and the start of October but now foxes everywhere 4 last week 2 this week and I have got to go again tonight.