WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Put a fox out of one of our drives today so got to get him but looks foggy again tonight ....

Lovely and clear here in Norfolk. A bright half moon but I've got the tower in the right place so it will be behind me. I had to pack in Thursday night because of fog which was odd as it was windy as well.

No fog here but a bitter east wind

Friday afternoon zeroed .243 in with 58gr winchester Just 4 shots and the Tikka t3 is on target

No luck Friday night saw two but no shot

Saturday night a farm in Mid wales,last time I was here saw 2 in with cattle but obviously no shot,got to the farm at about 7pm a quick chat to the farmer and most of the cattle are now inside.So head out to where I'd seen them,there's a track below the fields so you can see into every field from here.Nothing about so venture into the last field ,look back into other fields and there's a dark shape in one field probably a badger go through the field to have a look and its a fox curled up in a dip sheltering from the wind A little squeak to get his attention and one down for the .243 at 80 yds 🖕

20181117_200914.jpg

Nice one Dai, good shooting.

No fog here last night but as you say, a bitterly cold wind. Had another hour up on the new plot. Dog fox came straight in to hand call and was easily put down, but couldn't stay up there long as it was bitter. Don't mind cold frosty nights but a freezing wind just wears you down.

One thing I did see last night that really gets on my ******* tits, some lads in a pickup lamping from a road on land they have no permission to be on, and taking a shot off the road, down towards the farm yard I was in shooting rats at the time. Raced up to try to get a plate number but they ******** off before I got up there. Shooting a rifle off a road onto private land you don't have permission on is neither big, clever or bloody legal and gives us all a bad name. Bloody cowboys. 🤠

45936518691_bcfd9ae092_c.jpg

Out last night with Bumpy dodging the moonlight but it was still and quieter than a morgue. Spotted a fox early on but when we drove down the lanes it was nowhere to be seen. Had one come in on a small hill side. I could not see it until its was on its way back out. Fortunately Bumpy held it on the call just long enough so that we did not have to blank.

Know what you mean about the moon Grant, bloody pain again at the moment.

A nice few hours out tonight, despite the moon it was cool, frost just starting to form, just how I like it. Had one vixen at the quarry come to rabbit distress on the caller, and a dog and another vixen from the next farm, both of which came to the hand call.

45896271702_888e977d41_c.jpg

44129073180_cc72db40fb_c.jpg

45896302242_7b4dd09127_c.jpg

On 18/11/2018 at 10:49, Daieye said:

No fog here but a bitter east wind

Friday afternoon zeroed .243 in with 58gr winchester Just 4 shots and the Tikka t3 is on target

No luck Friday night saw two but no shot

Saturday night a farm in Mid wales,last time I was here saw 2 in with cattle but obviously no shot,got to the farm at about 7pm a quick chat to the farmer and most of the cattle are now inside.So head out to where I'd seen them,there's a track below the fields so you can see into every field from here.Nothing about so venture into the last field ,look back into other fields and there's a dark shape in one field probably a badger go through the field to have a look and its a fox curled up in a dip sheltering from the wind A little squeak to get his attention and one down for the .243 at 80 yds 🖕

20181117_200914.jpg

:good:

11 hours ago, racing snake said:

Know what you mean about the moon Grant, bloody pain again at the moment.

A nice few hours out tonight, despite the moon it was cool, frost just starting to form, just how I like it. Had one vixen at the quarry come to rabbit distress on the caller, and a dog and another vixen from the next farm, both of which came to the hand call.

45896271702_888e977d41_c.jpg

44129073180_cc72db40fb_c.jpg

45896302242_7b4dd09127_c.jpg

Nice one Stu. 

Spent 3 hours out on Saturday night after a fox killed the 18 or so chickens that didnt make it in before the pop holes closed on Friday night...saw nowt.....back out over the next few nights. 

Nice work Stu , glad you're feeling better,

I managed to get out on Saturday night after that fox that was spotted in a drive . He was sat on the same banking we pushed him from during the day :yes:

jiSfDtN.jpg

The fog did roll in so I stopped off at my bait station on the way home and was rewarded with a second dog fox ...

YqsA9nM.jpg

Next evening was invited for a flight on my mates pond with widgeon , teal and mallard bagged ...

I2Ben8F.jpg

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

And its going to be cold tonight😕😕

True..wish we had enough of a house to have heating..I think the mice are moving out at the moment to find somewhere warm :lol:

I am actually heading out tonight to see if I can remember what the rifles in the cabinet are actually for lol 

I braved the cold last night without my wing man. He is stuck on Wednesday night as he does salsa. Cant see the fascination in a room full of sweaty women🤔 first place was a simple spot and shoot on a old dog fox in a grass field. Next one was at the chicken unit. A quick clamber upon the bales and in position. Five minutes of pheasant distress produced nothing. So tried vixen on heat with immediate response. Another dog fox bounding in to 150 and another one on the ground. Saw two more but just could not get on them for a shot. X sight is performing great after the usual getting used to it I am very pleased☺️ Plenty still about with the mating season upon us should be a productive few months ahead

3 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

I braved the cold last night without my wing man. He is stuck on Wednesday night as he does salsa. Cant see the fascination in a room full of sweaty women🤔 first place was a simple spot and shoot on a old dog fox in a grass field. Next one was at the chicken unit. A quick clamber upon the bales and in position. Five minutes of pheasant distress produced nothing. So tried vixen on heat with immediate response. Another dog fox bounding in to 150 and another one on the ground. Saw two more but just could not get on them for a shot. X sight is performing great after the usual getting used to it I am very pleased☺️ Plenty still about with the mating season upon us should be a productive few months ahead

Well done Ed. 

I headed out myself last night for a change. I need to do a little bit more concreting but a delay in the steels has meant I could finally get enough time (and energy) for a look. 

The chicken farm had some losses last week and despite a couple of visits I havent had any luck. Drove down track that leads to the farm and spotted eye shine in the full beams. Truck off, lights off, rifle out, lay down next to the front of the truck and the fox dropped to a chest shot at about 90 yards. Nice and easy :lol:

Nothing else seen in the next hour so headed to another farm the other side of the river from the first farm. I had an extra mile to walk since the farmer has just installed some pipes across the track I use...and not filled it in. I didnt fancy a 6 ft long jump with rifle, sticks etc :lol: All quiet on this part of the farm so headed back over the road to the top piece of ground. Spotted eye shine straight away. Stalked in ready for the shot..then the cloud cleared and full moon lit up the area....fox legged it ....

I headed across the field and put the caller on for a bit which got a reaction but again the moon was causing me trouble....I managed to tuck in by a tree and then spotted 2 foxes the far end of the next field. A quick move an I set up on a gate post and dropped no 1 and no 2 at about 160 yards. 2 More dog foxes. 

All in all a good nights work and 3 less foxes to worry about. 

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Well done Ed. 

I headed out myself last night for a change. I need to do a little bit more concreting but a delay in the steels has meant I could finally get enough time (and energy) for a look. 

The chicken farm had some losses last week and despite a couple of visits I havent had any luck. Drove down track that leads to the farm and spotted eye shine in the full beams. Truck off, lights off, rifle out, lay down next to the front of the truck and the fox dropped to a chest shot at about 90 yards. Nice and easy 

Nothing else seen in the next hour so headed to another farm the other side of the river from the first farm. I had an extra mile to walk since the farmer has just installed some pipes across the track I use...and not filled it in. I didnt fancy a 6 ft long jump with rifle, sticks etc  All quiet on this part of the farm so headed back over the road to the top piece of ground. Spotted eye shine straight away. Stalked in ready for the shot..then the cloud cleared and full moon lit up the area....fox legged it ....

I headed across the field and put the caller on for a bit which got a reaction but again the moon was causing me trouble....I managed to tuck in by a tree and then spotted 2 foxes the far end of the next field. A quick move an I set up on a gate post and dropped no 1 and no 2 at about 160 yards. 2 More dog foxes. 

All in all a good nights work and 3 less foxes to worry about. 

Top job

Yep good work Mike and Ed .

I ventured out last night under the full moon , very bright , still and -2 with a ground frost ...........

Targeted a particular fox I saw last week but nothing showed so moved to another spot about 3 miles away . It was like daylight but nothing ventured nothing gained.

After 15 minutes of calling this smelly vixen turned up which I dropped at 80 yds :)

avwY5ch.jpg