Fox club

WelshMike

On 05/12/2018 at 19:33, bumpy22 said:

👍 I would not want to pay all your staff Christmas bonuses to be fair

:lol: I dont think I would want to call my wife staff...shallow grave in the woods would be my fate for such a comment :lol:

If I had staff I would be off shooting rather than doing building work..I ll text you the weekend pics lol 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I christened my new toys tonight. Second field I picked up a distant fox in the thermal. Got set up on the sticks and started calling and I’m he comes. This is easy me thinks as the fox is about 60 yards away and clear as daylight in my new ATN 4K scope. Just waiting for him to present a good broadside and he disappears down a bank towards the river! More calling and cursing, he reappears in the field! Can’t see how I didn’t see him break out. Anyway calling again he comes back only this time disappears into a pile of brash! After 15 minutes I decide to stalk round the brash to see if he is still about. No sign so start heading back. Quick scan with the thermal and he is looking at me from down by the river. On the sticks again but this time he has gone!

Walk around for another hour only seeing mice and owls and I approach the last field. In the thermal I can see two suspicious creatures in with the sheep. Stalking closer I get on the sticks and pick them up at about 80 yards. A quick squeak and they are both looking. I dropped one but the other was off before I could get onto him.

45895485-8BFA-4006-A9CC-EA9B17D521D0.jpeg.6dcb247cca47b366a2db3c5c7178740e.jpeg

A vixen which looked like it was paired up by the way they were acting!

I don’t think I would have picked them up so easily without the thermal, which was better than I could have imagined. It certainly will be a game changer. Mike, you’ve got to get one of these!! Can’t wait until Wednesday when I’m out next! 

5 hours ago, Strongman said:

Well I christened my new toys tonight. Second field I picked up a distant fox in the thermal. Got set up on the sticks and started calling and I’m he comes. This is easy me thinks as the fox is about 60 yards away and clear as daylight in my new ATN 4K scope. Just waiting for him to present a good broadside and he disappears down a bank towards the river! More calling and cursing, he reappears in the field! Can’t see how I didn’t see him break out. Anyway calling again he comes back only this time disappears into a pile of brash! After 15 minutes I decide to stalk round the brash to see if he is still about. No sign so start heading back. Quick scan with the thermal and he is looking at me from down by the river. On the sticks again but this time he has gone!

Walk around for another hour only seeing mice and owls and I approach the last field. In the thermal I can see two suspicious creatures in with the sheep. Stalking closer I get on the sticks and pick them up at about 80 yards. A quick squeak and they are both looking. I dropped one but the other was off before I could get onto him.

I don’t think I would have picked them up so easily without the thermal, which was better than I could have imagined. It certainly will be a game changer. Mike, you’ve got to get one of these!! Can’t wait until Wednesday when I’m out next! 

good work richard. dont talk too much about how good the x sight is. not sure i did the right thing lol

7 hours ago, Strongman said:

Good work mate. Since it has the royal seal of approval from you I will see what I can sort :lol:

Finally...no rain last night so off I headed. The first farm I was met by the 2 farm dogs who werent very friendly..a bot of snarling and lots of barking while I got all the kit out and headed off. Fortunately they didnt follow me far. Wandered for an hour or so and did a bit of calling with no luck. 

Over to the chicken farm and much the same on the one part of the farm. Headed down to the duck pool, quick squeak and picked up some eye shone at the top of the field. Over to the NV and another squeak and the eyes appeared under a tree, fortunately they were attached to a fox . Headed up the bank about 30 yards to give me a clear shot from around 100 yards. The fox was curled up under a tree so another squeak and he lifted his head and was met with a .243 round in the bib. Good size dog fox and no 5 from the same farm in the last few weeks so the farmer is happy...for the moment. 

vvblqHe.jpg

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Good work mate. Since it has the royal seal of approval from you I will see what I can sort :lol:

Finally...no rain last night so off I headed. The first farm I was met by the 2 farm dogs who werent very friendly..a bot of snarling and lots of barking while I got all the kit out and headed off. Fortunately they didnt follow me far. Wandered for an hour or so and did a bit of calling with no luck. 

Over to the chicken farm and much the same on the one part of the farm. Headed down to the duck pool, quick squeak and picked up some eye shone at the top of the field. Over to the NV and another squeak and the eyes appeared under a tree, fortunately they were attached to a fox . Headed up the bank about 30 yards to give me a clear shot from around 100 yards. The fox was curled up under a tree so another squeak and he lifted his head and was met with a .243 round in the bib. Good size dog fox and no 5 from the same farm in the last few weeks so the farmer is happy...for the moment. 

vvblqHe.jpg

Well done mike. I can understand why the dogs behaved like that 

Managed to get henryettas killer last night. After farmer mate of mine lost a chicken in the middle of the afternoon this week. Went over accompanied by a mate farmer and his wife. 5 mins of calling had fox come into field with all eyes on me managed to drop him( no pressure) . Sure there will be more there though.

15 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

I nearly wet myself then ...

You can shut it....cheeky swine :lol:

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Managed to get henryettas killer last night. After farmer mate of mine lost a chicken in the middle of the afternoon this week. Went over accompanied by a mate farmer and his wife. 5 mins of calling had fox come into field with all eyes on me managed to drop him( no pressure) . Sure there will be more there though.

Well done Ed. I had to be pressure washed last night as somebody accused me of smelling like fox wee......the cheek of it all....

Nice work christening the thermal Richard, your numbers will shoot up now!

Good work as always Mike.

It's been a frustrating couple of weeks for me. Every time I made arrangements to go out the heavens opened, every single time! Finally manged to get out tonight though. Couple of hours at the quarry. Good sized dog fox came to the vixen call after 20 minutes or so, nothing else seen after he was put down. Need to get some effort in now but really prefer those cold frosty nights. Fed up of rain and wind.

45569134334_cfc4e0ac8a_c.jpg

12 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice work christening the thermal Richard, your numbers will shoot up now!

Good work as always Mike.

It's been a frustrating couple of weeks for me. Every time I made arrangements to go out the heavens opened, every single time! Finally manged to get out tonight though. Couple of hours at the quarry. Good sized dog fox came to the vixen call after 20 minutes or so, nothing else seen after he was put down. Need to get some effort in now but really prefer those cold frosty nights. Fed up of rain and wind.

45569134334_cfc4e0ac8a_c.jpg

Nicely done mate. The ground is so wet and slippery it is not much fun getting out and about. 

Back out last night. Nice cold night but the ground is shockingly wet so it was a bit of a muddy old wander.  I decided to have a look on a 400 acre piece of ground I havent been on for 3 or 4 months. First stop brought nothing in. Headed over to the other side of the farm and set the caller up with a mix of vixen, dog and gekkering calls going. I picked up a flash of eyes in the next field across from me so got set up behind the rifle, NV on and picked up the fox. She was in next doors field but another blast of the gekkering and she obligingly jumped through the netting and trotted about 5 yards before being met with a 58 grain .243 BT round. Through the chest and out through her guts hence the slight mess. 

AovKiqR.jpg

bitter cold last night and only saw 2 . one a fleeting glimpse of one fleeing across a field after i made a small squeak:mad:on to another 2 places with not a sign of a fox after trying every tune i know:hmm:then onto a hill and spot fox at 150 through thermal just mousing in grass. no point in calling as he was safe. plus all the other calls that night had produced nothing. straightforward chest shot and down he went. calling seems to be sporadic with mating calls very hit and miss at the moment. thought the cold last night would of made them a bit more interested

On 15/12/2018 at 14:21, bumpy22 said:

bitter cold last night and only saw 2 . one a fleeting glimpse of one fleeing across a field after i made a small squeakon to another 2 places with not a sign of a fox after trying every tune i knowthen onto a hill and spot fox at 150 through thermal just mousing in grass. no point in calling as he was safe. plus all the other calls that night had produced nothing. straightforward chest shot and down he went. calling seems to be sporadic with mating calls very hit and miss at the moment. thought the cold last night would of made them a bit more interested

Well done mate. Totally agree ref calling, either have no effect or a very quick one. I try for 5-10 mins then move on to another spot as I dont have the patience to stay and call for hours on end. 

i normally only shoot on two farms which are very close to me we have another goose farm about 40 miles away that the farm manager controls the foxes on. he has gone on holiday and a fox had killed two nights in a row so i drove over and arrived at 9.05pm. the assistant manager told me the fox had killed just outside the office window so i thought it would be nice and warm if nothing else.parked up took my bag into the office opened the window and looking out there was the fox trotting across the pen [there is outside floodlighting on this farm] so i rushed back to the truck got the rifle shot the fox at 25 yards who had already killed a goose. it was a big dog but very mangy this farm is very close to norwich so i guess he was an urban one so not afraid of lights. 

1 hour ago, bornfree said:

i normally only shoot on two farms which are very close to me we have another goose farm about 40 miles away that the farm manager controls the foxes on. he has gone on holiday and a fox had killed two nights in a row so i drove over and arrived at 9.05pm. the assistant manager told me the fox had killed just outside the office window so i thought it would be nice and warm if nothing else.parked up took my bag into the office opened the window and looking out there was the fox trotting across the pen [there is outside floodlighting on this farm] so i rushed back to the truck got the rifle shot the fox at 25 yards who had already killed a goose. it was a big dog but very mangy this farm is very close to norwich so i guess he was an urban one so not afraid of lights. 

Tidy job and nice and easy. Well done. Makes up for those 5 hour stints up the tower :lol:

4 hours ago, bornfree said:

Well done just peeing down here. Hoping to get out over the next few nights.

Got to get some venison for different people. But got a tip off there should be some reindeer in the area😉