Fox club

WelshMike

4 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Nice work Stu and Mike. Good to see a few getting grassed before lambing. 

Did you mop up the cubs this year then Mark as it would appear that you’ve only got wise old ones about? There should be an influx soon with the pairing up happening.

Will the grand opening of the mansion be a good point to hold a Foxclub get together Mike? We could do some target shooting in the vast grounds too! This then will give you an incentive to get it finished at long last 😀

:lol: Good suggestion mate. Shall we opt for 2020 just to be safe? 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to hear your doing well Stu, make sure you look after yourself in this cold weather. Got to give Ed & Grant some competition on numbers!!

Welcome back Grant, hope you had a good holiday. Don’t know if Ed has saved you many foxes as he’s been busy while you’ve been away! 

8 hours ago, Strongman said:

Nice work Stu and Mike. Good to see a few getting grassed before lambing. 

Did you mop up the cubs this year then Mark as it would appear that you’ve only got wise old ones about? There should be an influx soon with the pairing up happening.

Will the grand opening of the mansion be a good point to hold a Foxclub get together Mike? We could do some target shooting in the vast grounds too! This then will give you an incentive to get it finished at long last 😀

Its been a strange year this year as there was no cubs about at all. I hammered the foxes the previous year and it showed this year just hope 2019 is better.

I think we should defo have a Fox Club meet in the Mansion grounds , be great to meet up with everyone.

Come on Mike get the mansion finished and we could all meet this Summer ?

2 hours ago, racing snake said:

Cheers Mike. Aye not too bad. Half way through chemo stint (3 more to go) but it's not a bother. :good:

Glad you are on the mend buddy ....the foxes wont be as glad though :lol:

Thanks gents, its appreciated. :)

Got a call this morning about a disappearing chicken that decided the leave all its feathers behind in the nearest field. It's bad enough when a farmer rings you to tell you there's a fox on the plot, but when it's your mate the pressure goes up a notch or two. Thankfully he showed after a couple of hours' wait. A bit of a tricky shot but down he went.

45677459725_2ec30ff6d2_c.jpg

17 hours ago, racing snake said:

Cheers Mike. Aye not too bad. Half way through chemo stint (3 more to go) but it's not a bother. :good:

Glad to hear it mate. 

12 hours ago, racing snake said:

Thanks gents, its appreciated. :)

Got a call this morning about a disappearing chicken that decided the leave all its feathers behind in the nearest field. It's bad enough when a farmer rings you to tell you there's a fox on the plot, but when it's your mate the pressure goes up a notch or two. Thankfully he showed after a couple of hours' wait. A bit of a tricky shot but down he went.

45677459725_2ec30ff6d2_c.jpg

Good job mate. 

10 hours ago, dazb1967 said:

First one of the year and first on my home loads, should please the gamekeeper.IMG_0529.jpg.96e5a87c6de70dc7c2c7552df088162b.jpg

Well done mate, big old lump (the fox that is :lol:)

I did an epic 6 hour session last night. It was really dark but only a slight breeze. Thought I’d take the opportunity to go right round my biggest permission. Ticked off all the likely spots, stopping to call as I went, but saw nothing. Was heading to a field down a track and picked up something heading away from me with the thermal in an unlikely spot. Stalked down the hedgeline and picked up a fox in the scope at about 110yards. One down and it’s only 2 o’clock! Nice looking vixen  

AF610147-0D93-4172-B535-17FE18E1D4B0.jpeg.e95c8b60484e11961fb3301e9f3870ee.jpeg

Spurred on I continued round but nothing moving or coming to the call. Heard a dog fox as I was in my way back and picked up a fox not 200 yards from the stockyard where I was parked. Quick mouth squeak had him racing in, right into a reed bed where I could only pick his eyes. Not content to shot at eyes I waited out and he moved off into a flock of sheep! After much manoeuvring and coaxing him out I had a shot at about 140 yards as a best option. I steadied and missed over the top! Gutted, would have made a nice ending to a long night. One down though so can’t complain. 

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

I did an epic 6 hour session last night. It was really dark but only a slight breeze. Thought I’d take the opportunity to go right round my biggest permission. Ticked off all the likely spots, stopping to call as I went, but saw nothing. Was heading to a field down a track and picked up something heading away from me with the thermal in an unlikely spot. Stalked down the hedgeline and picked up a fox in the scope at about 110yards. One down and it’s only 2 o’clock! Nice looking vixen  

AF610147-0D93-4172-B535-17FE18E1D4B0.jpeg.e95c8b60484e11961fb3301e9f3870ee.jpeg

Spurred on I continued round but nothing moving or coming to the call. Heard a dog fox as I was in my way back and picked up a fox not 200 yards from the stockyard where I was parked. Quick mouth squeak had him racing in, right into a reed bed where I could only pick his eyes. Not content to shot at eyes I waited out and he moved off into a flock of sheep! After much manoeuvring and coaxing him out I had a shot at about 140 yards as a best option. I steadied and missed over the top! Gutted, would have made a nice ending to a long night. One down though so can’t complain. 

At least you had the vixen so a good bit of work done with her. Sure you will catch up with the dog soon. 

Looks like the thermal is paying dividends already. Hoping the birthday fairy will be sorting one out for me shortly. 

Thermal does make a massive difference Mike.

I couldn’t pick her up with the NV as she was heading away through rough ground. With the thermal she stood out like your mansion does from space!! 😆

Where are you in Mid Wales? It’s just my sister lives near Ponterwyd so if you wanted to look through mine it might help you make your mind up?

8 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Thermal does make a massive difference Mike.

I couldn’t pick her up with the NV as she was heading away through rough ground. With the thermal she stood out like your mansion does from space!! 😆

Where are you in Mid Wales? It’s just my sister lives near Ponterwyd so if you wanted to look through mine it might help you make your mind up?

Cheeky swine lol 

Thanks for the kind offer, I live about 5 miles from Lake Vyrnwy, bit out of the way from Ponterwyd with the way that you would travel up I imagine . I am pretty sure I will be ordering one very soon though, looked at lots of vids and reviews and if there good enough for the 2 ronnies (Grant and Ed) there to good for me :lol:

If you are ever up this way feel free to pop in for a brew. PM me and I ll let you have the address. 

Out with a friend who is just getting into centerfires tomorrow night..and apart from that ... guess what? Yep...more ******g building work :lol:

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Cheeky swine lol 

Thanks for the kind offer, I live about 5 miles from Lake Vyrnwy, bit out of the way from Ponterwyd with the way that you would travel up I imagine . I am pretty sure I will be ordering one very soon though, looked at lots of vids and reviews and if there good enough for the 2 ronnies (Grant and Ed) there to good for me :lol:

If you are ever up this way feel free to pop in for a brew. PM me and I ll let you have the address. 

Out with a friend who is just getting into centerfires tomorrow night..and apart from that ... guess what? Yep...more ******g building work :lol:

I'm up at North Wales Mike. If you fancy having a go with the thermal then give me a shout and keep a Saturday night free, I'll drive down.

Nice work on the one Rich. Shame about the other. I had a strange one last night - far end of the permission I did see a one-eyed fox. Reckon he's going to be trouble. No safe shot last night though.

Edited by racing snake

3 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Out with a friend :hmm:

not sure this comment is a100%. find it hard to believe

well done richard selling the kidney to buy thermal and nv was worth it:good:

back on subject first one last night of the year for the dream team:yes: a quick session on the rats for me and grant then a quick scan about produced a large dog fox. only 139 to go to beat last year:lol:

Well I can gladly announce that I got off the mark last night :)

Went to a couple of farms I haven't visited in a while which normally produce , so was quietly confident.

1st stand I called in a vixen with mating calls

HPTkxcz.jpg

Continued to my 2nd stand , saw another couple but wind was wrong , but nice to see.

Off to farm No 2 , 1st stand nothing so moved to 2nd stand facing a wood.

15 mins of mating calls produced nothing so switched to Lil Jack , had a fox immediately coming from wood some 300 yards away.

Then something happened I have never seen before , whilst watching the fox 300 yds away another sneaked in from my right and ended up in the beam only 40 yds away :w00t:

Never expected to get it but lit it up and as expected it turned to run so I instinctively shot and couldn't believe it folded . On inspection the shot went through its left eye , lucky me for once:yes: Dog fox this time.

wEiK0CY.jpg

FH and RS  will you two stop with the Hollywood stage set photographs. The best that we can do is keep our feet out of the pic's and there you two are with the full make up and stylists team on hand getting those pictures just right. Even the accessories are laid out neatly.  😞 At the very least you are showing the rest of us up and at worst your wasting shooting time. 

The fox we shot on Thurs was interesting after being bored in the chicken shed after only shooting half a dozen rats between us. On the way back home we pulled into a gate and Edd said there is one just over the gate. Thought I would get out to take a look despite it being minus 10 or so and there was one just 30 yards from us. Turns out Edd had spotted another further down the field and not seen this one. Fair play he was on it in a flash and it was down. It was a very large dog fox with a head like a labrador.

I don't want to start counting again I always feel under pressure when I am on hol's (and I have a few planned 🙂 ) or when i have to take a shooting break in Sept 🤐 Lets just shoot what we see 🙂 

Bagged a few pheasant on a walk about thurs, so put the carcasses up the field and then bagged another fox last night. Opposite end of the spectrum this one being very small. Its nice shooting off the kitchen window sill, log burner ticking away.  The bait station is now at 155m and shooting off a bag with the drone and the .223 allows for perfect shot placement (up until the point when i miss 🙂)

Please not total lack of quality in the pictures. What you see is where they landed. 

IMG-20190103-WA0000[1].jpg

IMG-20190104-WA0007[1].jpeg

Nice work Mark, good to get going for the year. :good:Straight in the mush is always a bonus two.

Sorry Grant, it's just natural photographic talent. :lol: Good work on those two.

Few hours out for me tonight. Visited a small farm I hadn't been to in a while, so was expecting a fox or two. Wasn't disappointed! Set the caller up on the bank of the small river that splits the plot and set it to vixen call. After about ten minutes I spy a fox ambling down, but still far away, so plenty of time to get ready. As she's ambling in I had a quick scan around and there's another fox coming up the field behind me. ******! Let the first one come in and just ignored the one behind me for now, let her get to about 150 yards and gave her a squeak to get her attention and put one between the light bulbs. Quickly turned the gun around on the tripod and scanned with the thermal - fox number two was trotting back up the field at a fair lick, but got him in the scope as knew he's do what they all do, and without fail he got to about 150/60 yards away and stopped for a look back - fox number 2 down. Dog and vixen.

46570339272_deb93007ae_c.jpg

Picked another vixen off later on, again to the vixen call. Had to walk round to the nearest bridge to pick her up (don't like leaving them in the field), hence no gun in the shot.

45708268785_494b2c46ae_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

14 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice work Mark, good to get going for the year. :good:Straight in the mush is always a bonus two.

Sorry Grant, it's just natural photographic talent. Good work on those two.

Few hours out for me tonight. Visited a small farm I hadn't been to in a while, so was expecting a fox or two. Wasn't disappointed! Set the caller up on the bank of the small river that splits the plot and set it to vixen call. After about ten minutes I spy a fox ambling down, but still far away, so plenty of time to get ready. As she's ambling in I had a quick scan around and there's another fox coming up the field behind me. ******! Let the first one come in and just ignored the one behind me for now, let her get to about 150 yards and gave her a squeak to get her attention and put one between the light bulbs. Quickly turned the gun around on the tripod and scanned with the thermal - fox number two was trotting back up the field at a fair lick, but got him in the scope as knew he's do what they all do, and without fail he got to about 150/60 yards away and stopped for a look back - fox number 2 down. Dog and vixen.

Picked another vixen off later on, again to the vixen call. Had to walk round to the nearest bridge to pick her up (don't like leaving them in the field), hence no gun in the shot.

Letting the side down with that pic Stu ,,, you've caught your foot in it :lol:

Great work though none the less.

OOwee great work too but please try and develop your photography skills :lol::friends:

On 04/01/2019 at 18:14, bumpy22 said:

not sure this comment is a100%. find it hard to believe

well done richard selling the kidney to buy thermal and nv was worth it:good:

back on subject first one last night of the year for the dream team a quick session on the rats for me and grant then a quick scan about produced a large dog fox. only 139 to go to beat last year

:lol: love you to mate 

On 05/01/2019 at 17:37, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well I can gladly announce that I got off the mark last night

Went to a couple of farms I haven't visited in a while which normally produce , so was quietly confident.

1st stand I called in a vixen with mating calls

HPTkxcz.jpg

Continued to my 2nd stand , saw another couple but wind was wrong , but nice to see.

Off to farm No 2 , 1st stand nothing so moved to 2nd stand facing a wood.

15 mins of mating calls produced nothing so switched to Lil Jack , had a fox immediately coming from wood some 300 yards away.

Then something happened I have never seen before , whilst watching the fox 300 yds away another sneaked in from my right and ended up in the beam only 40 yds away

Never expected to get it but lit it up and as expected it turned to run so I instinctively shot and couldn't believe it folded . On inspection the shot went through its left eye , lucky me for once Dog fox this time.

wEiK0CY.jpg

Nice one Mark, well done buddy :good:

On 05/01/2019 at 19:58, oowee said:

FH and RS  will you two stop with the Hollywood stage set photographs. The best that we can do is keep our feet out of the pic's and there you two are with the full make up and stylists team on hand getting those pictures just right. Even the accessories are laid out neatly.  😞 At the very least you are showing the rest of us up and at worst your wasting shooting time. 

The fox we shot on Thurs was interesting after being bored in the chicken shed after only shooting half a dozen rats between us. On the way back home we pulled into a gate and Edd said there is one just over the gate. Thought I would get out to take a look despite it being minus 10 or so and there was one just 30 yards from us. Turns out Edd had spotted another further down the field and not seen this one. Fair play he was on it in a flash and it was down. It was a very large dog fox with a head like a labrador.

I don't want to start counting again I always feel under pressure when I am on hol's (and I have a few planned 🙂 ) or when i have to take a shooting break in Sept 🤐 Lets just shoot what we see 🙂 

Bagged a few pheasant on a walk about thurs, so put the carcasses up the field and then bagged another fox last night. Opposite end of the spectrum this one being very small. Its nice shooting off the kitchen window sill, log burner ticking away.  The bait station is now at 155m and shooting off a bag with the drone and the .223 allows for perfect shot placement (up until the point when i miss 🙂)

Please not total lack of quality in the pictures. What you see is where they landed. 

IMG-20190103-WA0000[1].jpg

IMG-20190104-WA0007[1].jpeg

Nicely done as usual 

On 06/01/2019 at 01:19, racing snake said:

Sorry Grant, it's just natural photographic talent. Good work on those two.

Outstanding as always. 

Im letting the side down by the look of it. 

Out Sat night. 2 farms ....

Spent an hour trying to call a dog out of the one wood...played the vixen call ..he barked back and on it went...didnt even see him so gave up 

Farm 2 ..much the same though I caught glimpse of the fox for about 1 second :lol:

Went home annoyed lol 

Happy new year all!!

Last night out for me was New Years Eve, and I was chuffed to beans to drop a wily old Dog that had been giving me the runaround for three weeks. He was spotted lurking around a big sheep field on one of my trickier perms -  the Farmer is not keen on 'wiping out the wildlife' but usually changes tack when a Fox is seen. Its a lovely bit of ground, and I have all the surrounding Farms, there is one field in particular that is the highest point for miles around, I would sell my house to own it. Maybe I will ask him one day.....

I dropped a vixen also just one field away but its a neighbouring Farm, possibly thats the pair? who knows. Having had a crazy itch for a change, I sold my Mauser M12 .243 in November; and bought a lovely Schultz+Larsen Victory in the same cal. with a spare Barrel in 8x57JS. The variation took a lot longer than anticipated, and it was a month before it came through. The 8x57JS Barrel is being shipped over from Denmark this month, so hope to collect it Feb after proofing.These were my first two Fox with the new Rifle.

This year will be a bit of a new start for me, youngest Daughter will be 18 in May - so weekends with Dad are now a rarity. I can begin to plan some trips/holidays away and fulfil some long held ambitions. Definitely want to get out with the 8x57, and have a bash at some Boar and bigger Deer. Any recommendations on trips already experienced most welcome. I expect Grant is going to be the fount of all knowledge!

IMG_20181231_184628.jpg