Fox club

WelshMike

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Dont you start :lol:

You forgot to mention fox 4. No 4 had a nasty would across his forehead. This was healing well but had made a bit of a mess....but no RSPCA releases as far as I could see. I was only spotting so no credit is due to me for the demise of the 4. 

I spotted some suspect thermal through an old tree as well..turned out to be a heron perching in the tree, it must have had a shock when fox no 1 copped a couple of rounds lol 

Ah yes I'd forgotten about the gash on No 4, should have got a pic of it. Yeah it was a bit bizarre to see a random heron sitting in a tree! :lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just got back in nice early night on golf course. had a good spot where played all the calls on the fox pro. but produced nothing. decided to try the mk1 caller after a few mins of squeaking pick up a fox on the horizon. a few more muted squeaks have him come down to about 60 yards and dropped nicely by hmr.

onto the other end again try all the calls. with only response coming from vixen distress. fox sat 300 yards away on top of a bank. try everything but it wont budge. then another joins and watch them rolling around for ten minutes before they leave. try the same spot on the way back and manage to coax a vixen into range which was dispatched again using hmr.

seems a few about on the patches i have and a few paired up. still struggling to get much response from mating calls which is strange

15 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well done Stu and Mike , great night out foxing . Bet you're glad that the RSPCA had a few to drop off :yahoo:

So it looks like Mike will be joining the thermal brigade .

Cheers Mark......I have approval from the better half so looks like I will be getting a nice pressie soon. 

15 hours ago, racing snake said:

Cheers Mark. Was a good night! Farmer just texted asking when I'm up next as he's got half a lamb for me!

My spotting was so fantastic I should be entitled to 1/2 of that :lol::lol:

12 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

just got back in nice early night on golf course. had a good spot where played all the calls on the fox pro. but produced nothing. decided to try the mk1 caller after a few mins of squeaking pick up a fox on the horizon. a few more muted squeaks have him come down to about 60 yards and dropped nicely by hmr.

onto the other end again try all the calls. with only response coming from vixen distress. fox sat 300 yards away on top of a bank. try everything but it wont budge. then another joins and watch them rolling around for ten minutes before they leave. try the same spot on the way back and manage to coax a vixen into range which was dispatched again using hmr.

seems a few about on the patches i have and a few paired up. still struggling to get much response from mating calls which is strange

Nicely done Ed :good:

The numbers are climbing steadily now! I am hearing loads of dog foxes calling round by me so I will be running the vixen call tonight to see what that brings!

Sounds like you had a good night Stu and Mike. The Quantum Lite comes with a nice little across the body bag which might be of interest to you too Mike, one more for the collection!!

2 hours ago, Strongman said:

The numbers are climbing steadily now! I am hearing loads of dog foxes calling round by me so I will be running the vixen call tonight to see what that brings!

Sounds like you had a good night Stu and Mike. The Quantum Lite comes with a nice little across the body bag which might be of interest to you too Mike, one more for the collection!!

:lol: ...just because I have a bigger and better man bag collection...jealousy isnt a good trait :P

Well went out last night and had a quick look about but nothing so decided to switch the caller on, after 10 mins nothing so switched the caller of and started walking back to the jeep, got about 10 steps in and panned around with the spotter and seen one coming towards me, Set the rifle on the sticks and great first one in the bag, had another walk about but seen nothing so went to next permission. first few fields and nothing so drove to another part and there was one in the field, shot it and heard the thump but somehow managed to make it into thick cover screaming, Looked around with spotter and the screaming had pulled another in from the opposite end of the field which I managed to drop. 

Had another walk about for an hour or so and nothing but whilst I was on my way back to the jeep seen a one on the opposite side of the hedge running away from me so must have got wind of me and away so drove off to where I last seen it and switched the caller, nothing appeared so turned it off and put it away, quick scan before I leave 1:00 am and there's another heading my way very cautiously , I put my rifle on the sticks which spooked it so it starts heading away but a quick squeak and it stops long enough to get the shot off, great another in the bag.   

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

37 minutes ago, dazb1967 said:

Well went out last night and had a quick look about but nothing so decided to switch the caller on, after 10 mins nothing so switched the caller of and started walking back to the jeep, got about 10 steps in and panned around with the spotter and seen one coming towards me, Set the rifle on the sticks and great first one in the bag, had another walk about but seen nothing so went to next permission. first few fields and nothing so drove to another part and there was one in the field, shot it and heard the thump but somehow managed to make it into thick cover screaming, Looked around with spotter and the screaming had pulled another in from the opposite end of the field which I managed to drop. 

Had another walk about for an hour or so and nothing but whilst I was on my way back to the jeep seen a one on the opposite side of the hedge running away from me so must have got wind of me and away so drove off to where I last seen it and switched the caller, nothing appeared so turned it off and put it away, quick scan before I leave 1:00 am and there's another heading my way very cautiously , I put my rifle on the sticks which spooked it so it starts heading away but a quick squeak and it stops long enough to get the shot off, great another in the bag.   

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Good job there mate, nicely done :good:

6 hours ago, WelshMike said:

My spotting was so fantastic I should be entitled to 1/2 of that :lol::lol:

I'll save some in the freezer for you mate. :lol:

Nice work on those Daz. How are you finding the Bifrost? Was tempted by one myself but GRS don't do a LH grip RH bolt option. I really wish they'd switch to an ambi pistol grip.

Friday night I popped out for a couple of hours to try for a particular fox I had seen previously. I set up and ran the mating calls for 15 mins with no luck so switched to jackrabbit distress and had this guy coming straight in.

Let him come to about 120 yds , lit him up broadside and down he went :yes:

VLzZUNW.jpg

A strange thing happened yesterday on the shoot , one of the guns shot a pheasant in a wood , when he went to pick it up a fox jumped out of a bush picked up his pheasant and scarpered :lol::lol:

I hope it dined well as its card is marked .....hopefully :shoot:

Good work lads.

We had a visitor for Friday night who came up to do some stalking and have a go at some foxes. Dustin is originally from South Africa so has not shot in the UK other than range work. On the foxes Edd was working his magic and we brought one right in but not safe. Turned to see another behind which ran off then first one back on. Dustin was having a rather rude introduction to the sport. He dropped it with a fine shot at about 120 yards. Well placed and patient an excellent first fox. :drinks:

On next farm Edd dropped a beauty out at 200 yards that was still trotting over uneven ground (very good shooting). I bagged an easy one although it was a bit time critical close to a hedge line. Another farm and I managed to bag another just as it slipped through the sheep fence. Four in all for the evening but no pics in all the excitement.

Stalking in the morning getting up at 0600 was a bit of a strain but I managed to get Dustin onto a doe at about 80m. There was a group of 6 closely bunched together constantly milling about, aware that we were their. Eventually he managed to get a clear shot and the doe was on the grass. Much to my relief always want to show a visitor a good time and he had a great trip. 👍:yay:

Certainly plenty about and the first time I have been on my ground for a bit. First piece we saw 2 got one. Next we saw 3 got 1 and the last we saw 3 and got 1. INever made it to the last place as we had to be up early. If only we had more patience 🙂 

He just sent me the picture (nice rifle and drone 🙂 )

First fox. 

first_fox.jpg

Had an absolutely cracking visit to Grants. He was an absolute gent and a very gracious host. Couldnt have asked for a better introduction to the sport here in the UK. 

That first fox really had my heart rate going, swinging from one to the next then back to the first. I'm glad Grant and Ed trusted me to keep my cool, because those foxes were really taunting us by sitting in spots with no safe backstop. Considering I had only met them a few hours beforehand I would not have begrudged them taking the rifle out of my hands! Luckily fox no.1 pushed his luck just a bit too far and wandered into safe shooting terrain. A good shout from Ed and we had him belly up in the grass. 

Only issue is that now I've tested the waters with Grant's night vision kit I'm going to be trying to convince the Mrs to let me spend some money! 

Nice work Gents. Still picking them off Mark!

Great to get your first fox there Gemsbok, you won't get better teachers than Ed and Grant!

Went up to the farm me and Mike had four at again tonight. Main intention was to pick up a goody box of meat he's sorted out for me, but despite me and Mike getting the four on Thursday I thought I'd take the gun and have a mooch as a new one might have come in.

End result - that place is just fox city. Another 4 foxes tonight, all around the bottom bit by the farm, and saw another two. Three vixens and a dog. No pic of the last dog I'm afraid, battery ran out on camera.

46021608654_3f5d779362_c.jpg

46693499442_f842e51aea_c.jpg

31804815837_6c6a22cd8e_c.jpg

This little lot should see me through the month! Steak, gammon, pork & lamb chops, sausages, bacon, beef joint, belly pork! Mike, I'll save some for you for next visit! :good:

46021620174_9afbc441a5_c.jpg

11 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice work Gents. Still picking them off Mark!

Great to get your first fox there Gemsbok, you won't get better teachers than Ed and Grant!

Went up to the farm me and Mike had four at again tonight. Main intention was to pick up a goody box of meat he's sorted out for me, but despite me and Mike getting the four on Thursday I thought I'd take the gun and have a mooch as a new one might have come in.

End result - that place is just fox city. Another 4 foxes tonight, all around the bottom bit by the farm, and saw another two. Three vixens and a dog. No pic of the last dog I'm afraid, battery ran out on camera.

46021608654_3f5d779362_c.jpg

46693499442_f842e51aea_c.jpg

31804815837_6c6a22cd8e_c.jpg

This little lot should see me through the month! Steak, gammon, pork & lamb chops, sausages, bacon, beef joint, belly pork! Mike, I'll save some for you for next visit! :good:

46021620174_9afbc441a5_c.jpg

Unreal.....nicely done mate. 

On 13/01/2019 at 10:11, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Friday night I popped out for a couple of hours to try for a particular fox I had seen previously. I set up and ran the mating calls for 15 mins with no luck so switched to jackrabbit distress and had this guy coming straight in.

Let him come to about 120 yds , lit him up broadside and down he went :yes:

VLzZUNW.jpg

A strange thing happened yesterday on the shoot , one of the guns shot a pheasant in a wood , when he went to pick it up a fox jumped out of a bush picked up his pheasant and scarpered

I hope it dined well as its card is marked .....hopefully :shoot:

Nice one Mark. Fair play on the fox for its picking up skills :lol:

On 13/01/2019 at 11:04, oowee said:

Good work lads.

We had a visitor for Friday night who came up to do some stalking and have a go at some foxes. Dustin is originally from South Africa so has not shot in the UK other than range work. On the foxes Edd was working his magic and we brought one right in but not safe. Turned to see another behind which ran off then first one back on. Dustin was having a rather rude introduction to the sport. He dropped it with a fine shot at about 120 yards. Well placed and patient an excellent first fox. :drinks:

On next farm Edd dropped a beauty out at 200 yards that was still trotting over uneven ground (very good shooting). I bagged an easy one although it was a bit time critical close to a hedge line. Another farm and I managed to bag another just as it slipped through the sheep fence. Four in all for the evening but no pics in all the excitement.

Stalking in the morning getting up at 0600 was a bit of a strain but I managed to get Dustin onto a doe at about 80m. There was a group of 6 closely bunched together constantly milling about, aware that we were their. Eventually he managed to get a clear shot and the doe was on the grass. Much to my relief always want to show a visitor a good time and he had a great trip. 👍:yay:

Top job gents, well done. 

On 11/01/2019 at 17:34, racing snake said:

I'll save some in the freezer for you mate. :lol:

Nice work on those Daz. How are you finding the Bifrost? Was tempted by one myself but GRS don't do a LH grip RH bolt option. I really wish they'd switch to an ambi pistol grip.

Loving the Bifrost, once set up it fits really well. 

Great stuff Stu , another 4 is a great result . Send some up here.

I went out last night to the same farm I got my 1st fox from last week to try my luck .

Spotted a fox curled up on a mound , it wouldn't budge at all. I ended up stalking into it to about 40 yds to get the shot off sticks. A really small vixen that just lay looking at me totally not bothered by the lamp :thanks:

32IQUdS.jpg

Never get them as easy as this one ...

11 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Great stuff Stu , another 4 is a great result . Send some up here.

I went out last night to the same farm I got my 1st fox from last week to try my luck .

Spotted a fox curled up on a mound , it wouldn't budge at all. I ended up stalking into it to about 40 yds to get the shot off sticks. A really small vixen that just lay looking at me totally not bothered by the lamp :thanks:

32IQUdS.jpg

Never get them as easy as this one ...

Daft Northern foxes :lol:

Some good work going on round the country by the looks of the reports. Unfortunately not by me tonight. Had been hearing foxes on a permission behind where I live so decided on a plan to tackle them tonight. Set up caller and retreated to a corner with a high hedge. About 20 minutes later first fox arrives but is quite standoffish and only came to about 80 yards. Gave him a squeak to stop him, to which he turned and headed off. He stopped at about 110 yards so I steadied and took the shot, duly missing! 😞

Called for a bit longer but nothing else. Moved onto my second stand and setup. After about 25 minutes a fox comes charging in to the call. Gave him a shout to stop him at about 40 yards. Took the shot and off he ran. Sounded like a good strike but could not find him anywhere. Not satisfied with possibly of my scope perhaps being knocked I headed home really pi$$ed off!! Feel like a member of billy smarts shooting circus 🙄. Some serious zero checking on Sunday me thinks.