Fox club

WelshMike

19 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Received a call yesterday morning from the shoot captain of a small pheasant shoot. Whilst shooting on Saturday they flushed 3 foxes , 1 was shot and 2 escaped .

Could I have a look over and sort them , so last night I duly obliged.

Vixen mating call brought in this heavily pregnant vixen but she hung up where it wasn't safe to shoot  I had to move around 500 yds to a suitable shooting position and was amazed that she was still there , she ran off to the bottom hedge and stopped for a look back and was duly grassed

Shoot captain was chuffed as the other one they shot on Saturday was a vixen too .....

On a bit of a roll at the minute seeing as I struggled a bit last year .....hope it continues

KiWeDLT.jpg

Well done Mark :good:340 yard head shot lol or a bit more of a sensible range :lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 25/01/2019 at 14:24, oowee said:

Pheasant shells on the bait post had disappeared the other night despite being tied on and me checking periodically. 

Last night top field a long way out there is a fox mooching about. I am on a good rest on the kitchen window sill and it's stopped facing me. I give a mildot holdover its head and squeeze. I take the shot but it's disappeared (probably into the hedge behind). 

An hour later its back bottom left corner of top field and I play the field caller. It trots off into the hedge on the left. Twenty mins later it comes from the bottom of my field and stops at 140 yds. Its a bit far left and though I can get on him with the rifle the IR is screened by the window on my right. I cannot move further left for fear of hitting the window. Its a fairly bright and night the drone shows the fox so I take the shot and its down. 

Next morning I collect the fox and notice Ravens on the next field. Out with the Bino's and first fox is down too 🙂 Head shot at 340 yds. 👍

two field.jpg

340 fox.jpg

Cracking shot Grant. I hope this was a lucky shot though mate as you are a strong advocate of not head shooting foxes :lol:

1 minute ago, WelshMike said:

Cracking shot Grant. I hope this was a lucky shot though mate as you are a strong advocate of not head shooting foxes :lol:

Lucky for me unlucky for the fox I was aiming at the bib. I knew pretty well what the range was but not the drop which i approximated. 

Having had a last walk round on the shoot I help run on Wednesday I was surprised to the lack of birds we saw. I suspected a fox may have been about and pushed them from the usual holding areas so it was out into the cold on Wednesday night.

First hour was quiet but I set up in a new area with a bank steadily rising in front of me with woods at the top to the left and right. Played the vixen call on and off for about half an hour and had three dog foxes calling at one point! The nearest was in the wood above me to the left. I switched to the trusty beercan call and down he can within a minute! Duly shot at roughly 50 yards. Large dog fox.

4D89EFCE-4046-458D-B7E5-01C56409C59F.jpeg.26248315a485063d97c33fc2a699e773.jpeg

Moved back over the river to where I thought I had heard one of the other foxes calling. By this time it was really cold so it was nice to be moving! I set up the caller and retreated under a tree to wait. After about 10 minutes I had a scan and thought I’d have a look behind me. Two heat masses were in the distance by out pheasant release pen. Looking through the NV I could see two foxes ambling down the hedge together. It was crisp under foot so I didn’t want to risk moving closer so I watched and waited. They headed towards me, and at the closest point we’re sniffing rounds a pile of brash. I took this opportunity and dropped one at 115 yards hoping the other may stop long enough for a second shot, which he didn’t! Another large dog fox, this one with a patch of mange on his rear quarter. Headed home to thaw out after this one!

199EB82D-4BF0-46C8-BD3F-73B029814C24.jpeg.e3876d3db9dc3e402fde0e72401ff542.jpeg

Edited by Strongman

I All

Out in the snow Friday early doors, after finishing work at 02:30. I took the quad as the roads round my way were very quickly becoming impassable for cars.

It was pretty light out with all the snow about, so on a whim I took my 12 bore and a pocketful of BB magnums. Fantastic fun blasting through the driving snow between permissions, but I can safely say I was pretty much the only living creature stupid enough to be out! Not even a rabbit, let alone Charlie. I was able to periodically stop and warm my lifeless hands on the quad exhaust, but bringing the feet back to life required some jogging up and down the lanes. Eventually common sense and daylight got the better of me and I went home to thaw out; what fun though.

Popped out Saturday night, but that was a washout too. Nothing to be seen, and a keen North wind saw the temp plummet. Bitterly cold and sacked it before midnight. After two blank nights, I was going to have a Sunday night in, but Farmer from a new-ish perm phoned to say there was a dead roe deer, that showed signs of Fox eating the belly out. I can't really say no, so after a hearty gut full of food, off I go after darkness falls. I scrunch through the still fairly deep snow, to the field behind the Farm with a couple of old caravans in it, and duly note the Deer carcass still reasonably whole. Loads of fox prints around it, leading in/out from three different directions, so a bit tricky to know which is the likeliest line of approach to watch. I set up the sticks on an earth bank about 80 metres away, with a fairly good all round view. 

Two hours later, feet pretty numb and nothing has shown. Off I go for a little wander to get some bloodflow back into the old trotters. I round the big area of wrapped silage bales, and see a fox trotting away, most likely he's heard me scrunching through the snow. Not in a massive hurry, but he is through the far hedge before I can draw a bead on him. I give a couple of plaintiff squeaks but no dice. After hanging about by the silage bales for half an hour, I trudge back across to the caravan field, and stake out the deer carcass again.  Nothing. Wait longer, still nothing.

Eventually decide to head back towards the car, via the silage bales. Scanning with the thermal as I go, the unmistakeable silvery shape of a fox is by the far hedge again, as I draw up next to a big parked tractor it slips through the hedge and away, Im sure it has not seen or heard me this time though. After five more minutes I get a likely looking heat source just over the hedge in the next field. Rifle up on the sticks and I get good eyeshade and see his shape, but partly obscured bye the hedge. I pull out the mouth caller and give it a couple of strong loud peeps, be disappears but soon pops through the hedge and is trotting purposefully towards me. Lucky the Rifle is already up on the sticks, as he is still coming in strong when I drop a 65gr Vmax into the bib. A hearty thump and drops instantly. A well conditioned Vixen as it turns out.

As luck should have it, the Farmer pulls into the top yard, so I wander over and give him the good news - he is well pleased, and I get four pints of milk and some clotted cream for my efforts. He sells his own milk, cream and cheese; and very nice it is too. I must pop back in the week, as Im sure there is at least one more Fox here, although nothing showing on my last scan round before loading the car and leaving. A good night after all.

Hammo

IMG_20190203_222019.jpg

Edited by Hammo

Me and grant had a nice vixen that has been giving us the run around for a few weeks. Keep spotting it on this particular farm but just dont seem to get on it for one reason or another. Calling is no good as she was gone at the slightest noise. But last night we spotted her laid up at the end of the farm. As soon as grant gt set up on her she ran. Must of picked up on the ir?? We then quickly got in the truck round the road to the other side of the farm. where on cue she was coming through the field straightforward 150 yard shot put her down. Saw another on one other permission but no safe shot. Even with thermal and nv it is surprising how hard it can be to get on them.

31 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Yes mate still not guaranteed , they do get IR shy the same as lamp shy. I suppose its just survival of the fittest and cleverest :yes:

very true but this one was very surprising. the way it took of as soon as ir went on it at a good distance too. it was like we had touched it with a cattle prod:lol:still got her in the end. the next project is to build a fox box for chicken unit 

Well done gents. 

Birthday fairy arrived on Tuesday and delivered a nice shiny Pulsar XQ38F thermal spotter. What a cracking bit of kit. Managed an outing on Tuesday night to get used to it and see what was about. Lots of time watching rabbits, hares, rats, badgers etc as well as a few foxes on the wrong side of the river and on next doors field. No shots presented themselves but it was nice to get a chance to get used to the unit. Hopefully the weather will improve over the next few days and I can get back out. Unfortunately the scaffolding is up at home so looks like re roofing the house will have to take priority for the next 4-6 weeks. 

8 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Well done gents. 

Birthday fairy arrived on Tuesday and delivered a nice shiny Pulsar XQ38F thermal spotter. What a cracking bit of kit. Managed an outing on Tuesday night to get used to it and see what was about. Lots of time watching rabbits, hares, rats, badgers etc as well as a few foxes on the wrong side of the river and on next doors field. No shots presented themselves but it was nice to get a chance to get used to the unit. Hopefully the weather will improve over the next few days and I can get back out. Unfortunately the scaffolding is up at home so looks like re roofing the house will have to take priority for the next 4-6 weeks. 

happy birthday old ***:good: glad you got your new toy. i think you will be surprised what you see with it. 

15 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Happy Birthday Mike ....joined the thermal club eh

14 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

happy birthday old ***:good: glad you got your new toy. i think you will be surprised what you see with it. 

14 hours ago, Strongman said:

Happy Birthday Mike. Looks like you have been a good boy to get a present like that! It is a game changer being able to pick up heat sources so quickly. 

Hope you have / had a good day. 

Lol...cheers gents. The hand is healed so I can actually get out :good:..weather is **** though ..so need to wait a couple of days. Had great fun watching 2 hares chasing each other round one of our fields..awesome bit of kit..doubt it will make my shooting any better though :lol:

31 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Lol...cheers gents. The hand is healed so I can actually get out :good:..weather is **** though ..so need to wait a couple of days. Had great fun watching 2 hares chasing each other round one of our fields..awesome bit of kit..doubt it will make my shooting any better though 

Works with sheep aswell😉

There were loads about last night. Thought it was going to be a decent night when I had the first vixen in the bag within 2 minutes of getting there. They didn't all come that quick but between 20.45 and 00.30 we had 3 dogs and 3 vixens between us. :good:

me and grant managed another last night between the torrential down pours:no: water was running off all the fields with alot of the tracks in a foot of water. we went to first spotted and squeaked a fox in to to about 200 yards but would not come of the horizon of the hill for a safe shot:mad: next spot we walked into field and the whole sky emptied but a fox was spotted through thermal in next field after a bit of moving got on him. grant with usual enthusiasm suggested another spot. we went and he showed off some great long range skills to produce rabbits for my hungry ferrets:good:another good night not many about but not surprising considering wind and heavy rain.

will get grant to post some pics of our foxbox soon. will be set up on the chicken unit with owner baiting for us. another very happy landowner

any fox club members going to shooting show? me grant and 2 others are going saturday

Bit of moving for that fox was an understatement. We were elevated in our field with the fox in the next and a hedge with some tall trees in it. Not easy to see with rain on lenses and sticks in the way. It was a tough shot and an even harder retrieve. 

Out last night for around 6 hours , walked 3 farms and only saw 1 fox which was downwind and scarpered :unhappy:

Ended up calling into a spot on the way home which is only 1 field of permission , but that's all you need :yes:

Set out the caller with vixen mating call running , within 5 minutes a fox is coming in steady then turns and runs then turns back and comes in to around 100 yds .

Facing me it took the 100 grainer in the chin .... a vixen who wasn't pregnant.

iEVWmxj.jpg

On 08/02/2019 at 20:38, walshie said:

There were loads about last night. Thought it was going to be a decent night when I had the first vixen in the bag within 2 minutes of getting there. They didn't all come that quick but between 20.45 and 00.30 we had 3 dogs and 3 vixens between us. :good:

Cracking job :good:

17 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Out last night for around 6 hours , walked 3 farms and only saw 1 fox which was downwind and scarpered :unhappy:

Ended up calling into a spot on the way home which is only 1 field of permission , but that's all you need :yes:

Set out the caller with vixen mating call running , within 5 minutes a fox is coming in steady then turns and runs then turns back and comes in to around 100 yds .

Facing me it took the 100 grainer in the chin .... a vixen who wasn't pregnant.

iEVWmxj.jpg

Nicely done Mark. 

To much rain for me to go out so stayed in lol... catch up time this week so fingers crossed. 

three more last night. first one was on one of my bigger permissions. after five minutes or so of hand calling we spot fox coming up from lower field about 300 yards. stoped and would not come any closer so i took shot. he was hit hard but need a follow up.  second spot was part of the chicken unit where they had spotted foxes last week. phone call from the farmer earlier that afternoon to say he had baited both areas with chickens as  instructed:good: as we approach we immediately see a fox trotting straight to bait station with one following. a bit of moving and grant is in position to take vixen as she is pulling at chicken. we wait for the other but it does not present a shot. on to the next part of chicken farm. after ten minutes of foxpro calls i try a few loud calls on my hand. within a few minutes we spot a fox coming straight towards us at speed. comes in to about fourty yards and turns runs back to 180 where a shout stops it and grant drops it with in a second.  another 2 of the chicken unit and owner really happy with our efforts with more to take though