Fox club

WelshMike

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

three more last night. first one was on one of my bigger permissions. after five minutes or so of hand calling we spot fox coming up from lower field about 300 yards. stoped and would not come any closer so i took shot. he was hit hard but need a follow up.  second spot was part of the chicken unit where they had spotted foxes last week. phone call from the farmer earlier that afternoon to say he had baited both areas with chickens as  instructed:good: as we approach we immediately see a fox trotting straight to bait station with one following. a bit of moving and grant is in position to take vixen as she is pulling at chicken. we wait for the other but it does not present a shot. on to the next part of chicken farm. after ten minutes of foxpro calls i try a few loud calls on my hand. within a few minutes we spot a fox coming straight towards us at speed. comes in to about fourty yards and turns runs back to 180 where a shout stops it and grant drops it with in a second.  another 2 of the chicken unit and owner really happy with our efforts with more to take though

Cracking job gents :good:

Headed out last night...it was great to be out and I have missed getting out and about. 

Over to farm 1 who are due to start lambing shortly . The XQ38F is a stunning bit of kit but there is to much to watch so lots more time spent spotting :lol: lots or rabbits and badgers and then the tell tail slim figure of Mr Fox....who disappeared off...lol. Put the caller on the misc injured furry woodland creature call and he appeared down at the bottom of the field. Set up behind the rifle, NV on and as usual he was sat trying to figure out what was what. 58 Grain .243 in the chest and down he went. Nice looking dog and only one seen. Bumped into the farmer on the way back to the truck and he was happy as usual. Back out tonight :good:

szD8AOs.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Top job mike. We only have fox hunter to persuade into getting thermal now but he is still shooting plenty with lamp.  richard is well impressed with his and getting good numbers

Will try and get grant to get some pics of fox box we have built 

To be fair to Mark he is pretty devastating with a lamp and rifle so doesnt need it making any easier. I am slow so need all the help I can get :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, cragman said:

Shot this chap tonight with the Hornet. 80 yards and he kept still just long enough for me to set up the sticks and whack him. Last week he kept moving at the last second so pleased to finally have him. Missed another, same spot 15 mins later 😡

9CB106CB-D36B-419C-B6DE-E91D51DB9F33.jpeg

good work mate nice to get job done. 

been a bit quiet on here but my partner has a big write up on way of our last few outings:yes:

4 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Still blanked...saw a few but not playing ball😂

unlucky but you will get on them next time. been busy as usual here made a fox box the other week and put up last week had a fox and doe so far. we had 2 more on friday aswell. a good size dog fox and a pregnant vixen. plenty still about. checked bait station this morning and gralloch chickens everything gone so must be more to go at there alone 

Edd spent some time building a fox box for the chicken farm. The bails have gone so we have lost the elevated platform and whilst it's mostly a safe shot in all directions the loss of height puts some limitations on the site. The Fox box elevated on top of a soil heap is a helpful tool. Just need to try and get some waterproofing on it otherwise it will turn to mush in a couple of weeks. tried it out last Monday and was lucky enough to bag the first from the shed 👍.

Out on Monday Tuesday and Thursday on the deer and managed 5 over the week. Then Thursday night on the rats with an air rifle and managed about 45 which was great fun.

Friday night back on the foxes and it was a very strange evening. Everywhere totally dead. It was dark cold and there seemed to be nothing about. We did manage a couple that came from nowhere. Spotted 7 deer on one farm but it's pretty flat so will need a high seat. Farmer just ok'd it this afternoon but then just now received a call from the farmer where the portable high seat is, to say he has 5 deer in the same field each afternoon over the weekend, so will have to take a look at that first. It does seem to be a little non stop at the moment with 14 deer and 26 foxes shot this year already. I need to get some shotgun practice in for Africa (just 8 weeks away) and must put in a few more nights on the rats but don't seem to have a minute. Both Edd and I have perm's that need more attention and I can see down the road some field prep taking place so will need to look at that any day soon. 

IMG-20190218-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20190223-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20190223-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20190224-WA0005.jpg

23 hours ago, oowee said:

Edd spent some time building a fox box for the chicken farm. The bails have gone so we have lost the elevated platform and whilst it's mostly a safe shot in all directions the loss of height puts some limitations on the site. The Fox box elevated on top of a soil heap is a helpful tool. Just need to try and get some waterproofing on it otherwise it will turn to mush in a couple of weeks. tried it out last Monday and was lucky enough to bag the first from the shed 👍.

Out on Monday Tuesday and Thursday on the deer and managed 5 over the week. Then Thursday night on the rats with an air rifle and managed about 45 which was great fun.

Friday night back on the foxes and it was a very strange evening. Everywhere totally dead. It was dark cold and there seemed to be nothing about. We did manage a couple that came from nowhere. Spotted 7 deer on one farm but it's pretty flat so will need a high seat. Farmer just ok'd it this afternoon but then just now received a call from the farmer where the portable high seat is, to say he has 5 deer in the same field each afternoon over the weekend, so will have to take a look at that first. It does seem to be a little non stop at the moment with 14 deer and 26 foxes shot this year already. I need to get some shotgun practice in for Africa (just 8 weeks away) and must put in a few more nights on the rats but don't seem to have a minute. Both Edd and I have perm's that need more attention and I can see down the road some field prep taking place so will need to look at that any day soon. 

IMG-20190218-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20190223-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20190223-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20190224-WA0005.jpg

Great stuff Gents ....better to have plenty to go at than nothing

Foxing in comfort, I can see that catching on! Nice job of the fox box Ed & Grant, glad you’ve got off the mark with it too and a bonus doe!

I have not been out much lately due to work, the moon and not seeing much about. Decided to get out last night for a proper look round one of my larger permissions. Had a cup of tea with the farmer who said he hadn’t seen many about lately, not a good start but hey ho! Got kitted up and found I had forgotten my belt lit with foxpro and my mouth calls in! I thought about jacking it in but thought I’d have a mooch about anyway. First 2 fields i saw nothing. Then spotted a fox crossing a field over the river from me in the thermal. It’s the same permission so I got in a position to where he would come towards me, when he stopped. It was really still so thought he had smelled me as he only tentatively cam a few steps to my mouth calls. Finally I had a decent shot and good backstop so took the shot and dropped him at 150 yards.

6838822B-F7B2-4890-8EF3-BE4B7B9C2ABF.jpeg.0f440d5bdc245c994b1b1053d1d2931f.jpeg

Next field nothing but picked up a heat source moving through the sheep and lambs across the river again. Moved into position and waited. Had a scan behind me in the field I had scanned first and picked up fox in the distance mousing. Some time and much calling later she came into range and I dropped her at just over 100 yards.

81E3918D-3F9B-4D2F-A80F-72D4E04B7C0A.jpeg.7b146001ec9db8fa4f66ec14cefb4395.jpeg

Really chuffed considering how the evening started so was happy to call it a night! Moved back to the river and looked over to where I saw the fox moving. No sign so I moved on. Picked up a slight heat source near the sheep which I couldn’t work out. After repositioning twice I was able to pick out a fox lying down looking at the lambs! A quick squeak had him raise his head and number 3 in the bag!

2D9D848B-14B6-47C4-B9D3-2CB508222CC8.jpeg.05fba4358b138a37e6b754d7bc23e913.jpeg

That’s  it now I thought so moved along the river to the bridges to cross over to pick the last fox up only to pick up another fox moving along the hedgline running perpendicular to the river in front of me! Called and waited, called and waited but he wasn’t budging and just sat looking my way. A cold half an hour later he moved down the fence line to the bridge. I blanked on him crossing and coming into the field over the river from me. I got set up and waited. Eventually he appeared, not in the hedge I expected him to but just the other side of the river slightly upstream. Straightforward 40 yard shot to finish the night. Got home at just after 2!

B66E2ECB-A9E6-48B3-9FD7-37E7F86DA264.jpeg.eafbb489d322770641f60507be40eb16.jpeg

3 dogs and a vixen. Saw the farmer today and he was over the moon!

Edited by Strongman

hi guy s well done keep up the good work   not been on for a bit was thinking of get some sort nv  for foxing dont want spend more than 600  and thermal  a bit to much out of my price range  what would you guys chooses as you have been at for a long  was looking at atn  and the pard any help would be great  thanks 

On 26/02/2019 at 19:35, Strongman said:

Foxing in comfort, I can see that catching on! Nice job of the fox box Ed & Grant, glad you’ve got off the mark with it too and a bonus doe!

I have not been out much lately due to work, the moon and not seeing much about. Decided to get out last night for a proper look round one of my larger permissions. Had a cup of tea with the farmer who said he hadn’t seen many about lately, not a good start but hey ho! Got kitted up and found I had forgotten my belt lit with foxpro and my mouth calls in! I thought about jacking it in but thought I’d have a mooch about anyway. First 2 fields i saw nothing. Then spotted a fox crossing a field over the river from me in the thermal. It’s the same permission so I got in a position to where he would come towards me, when he stopped. It was really still so thought he had smelled me as he only tentatively cam a few steps to my mouth calls. Finally I had a decent shot and good backstop so took the shot and dropped him at 150 yards.

6838822B-F7B2-4890-8EF3-BE4B7B9C2ABF.jpeg.0f440d5bdc245c994b1b1053d1d2931f.jpeg

Next field nothing but picked up a heat source moving through the sheep and lambs across the river again. Moved into position and waited. Had a scan behind me in the field I had scanned first and picked up fox in the distance mousing. Some time and much calling later she came into range and I dropped her at just over 100 yards.

81E3918D-3F9B-4D2F-A80F-72D4E04B7C0A.jpeg.7b146001ec9db8fa4f66ec14cefb4395.jpeg

Really chuffed considering how the evening started so was happy to call it a night! Moved back to the river and looked over to where I saw the fox moving. No sign so I moved on. Picked up a slight heat source near the sheep which I couldn’t work out. After repositioning twice I was able to pick out a fox lying down looking at the lambs! A quick squeak had him raise his head and number 3 in the bag!

2D9D848B-14B6-47C4-B9D3-2CB508222CC8.jpeg.05fba4358b138a37e6b754d7bc23e913.jpeg

That’s  it now I thought so moved along the river to the bridges to cross over to pick the last fox up only to pick up another fox moving along the hedgline running perpendicular to the river in front of me! Called and waited, called and waited but he wasn’t budging and just sat looking my way. A cold half an hour later he moved down the fence line to the bridge. I blanked on him crossing and coming into the field over the river from me. I got set up and waited. Eventually he appeared, not in the hedge I expected him to but just the other side of the river slightly upstream. Straightforward 40 yard shot to finish the night. Got home at just after 2!

B66E2ECB-A9E6-48B3-9FD7-37E7F86DA264.jpeg.eafbb489d322770641f60507be40eb16.jpeg

3 dogs and a vixen. Saw the farmer today and he was over the moon!

Excellent work mate, well done. 

19 hours ago, bang bang birdy said:

Fox number 2 picked this morning 

54F39A64-644A-43EA-A6F6-766DA815941F.jpeg

Nicely done mate