Fox club

WelshMike

It seems like ages since I’ve been out and seen a fox! Got asked by a mate’s uncle to go have a look for one that’s terrorising his lambing field. He showed us where it was most likely to be coming through, staked a dead lamb to the floor and left us to it. 40mins of sitting, waiting & leaning against a surprisingly comfortable fence later , this vixen had a good last sniff of the dead lamb before she was down to a 58gr ballistic tip from the .243 at 70yds. 

A2821644-2FEE-43C0-B28A-56FD8329F3A0.jpeg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Bumble said:

It seems like ages since I’ve been out and seen a fox! Got asked by a mate’s uncle to go have a look for one that’s terrorising his lambing field. He showed us where it was most likely to be coming through, staked a dead lamb to the floor and left us to it. 40mins of sitting, waiting & leaning against a surprisingly comfortable fence later , this vixen had a good last sniff of the dead lamb before she was down to a 58gr ballistic tip from the .243 at 70yds. 

A2821644-2FEE-43C0-B28A-56FD8329F3A0.jpeg

Well done that was quick work. Managed another 3 last night. First one out of the fox box at the chicken unit. Second one at the the other end which makes it 63 in about 9 months lol. Last one was on a ground i have had for a long time. Watched to on ground adjacent for about half hour before one came across. All dog foxes and no calling for once. New permission friday hopefully if i get all my work done

7 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Sat in my high seat last night for the last half hour before dark and out popped Charles at 8.16 pm 40 yds from my seat

flWgkbx.jpg

Good work but no antlers. Out again tomorrow night see if i can get another couple of bucks. Then foxing after weather permitting. Been building another fox box this week. Hopefully get it up and running in next couple of weeks.

Another successful night. After picking up more stalking ground at the weekend. I had high hopes for more bucks. The sky opened but cleared after dark. A quick look up the chicken unit produced another taking it to 64 since last summer. Back to a mates farm where he lost half a dozen chickens the night previous. 5 minutes of calling in field next door to chicken house brought in a large old dog fox. Will try again this week but hopefully got the culprit. Without the usual 4 hour wait. Hopefully that will be it for a month till the phone starts with cubs causing havoc

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well done Bump :good: I had hoped for a rest on the foxes but received a call that a fox had killed some lambs so had a quick look last night but nothing showed whilst I was there.

Good luck with the new ground , is it roe only ?

No it's another farm where I am good to go on all. Backs on to 2 others I have so a very large block of ground😀

Sorry guys ...house and life keeping me away from posting and shooting as always :sad1:

I ve had a couple over the last month or so but no problem foxes so I havent been out. That changed yesterday morning when I got a call about missing lambs. A couple of twins only had singles which can be explained due to scanning but a triplet with 1 live, 1 dead and 1 missing a head suggested foul play. I asked the farmer to put a dead ewe out that was starting to smell as that should be an open invitation and hopefully feed the foxes rather then newborn lamb. 

I headed out just before dark and got set up watching the ground. Lots of badgers about but no sign of foxes. Quick call brought a fox in to about 40 yards but no safe shot through the undergrowth ...now this is where it all gets weird...Fox appears on next doors ground about 70 yards away...fox disappears...fox reappears 10 foot up a tree...I then here the crashing about and watch through the thermal very bemused as it tries to climb about in a hazel thicket.....No i hadnt been drinking :lol: I couldnt really shoot it up a tree due to backstop and it disappeared after it came down. 

Went for a wander and I could see a fox near the ewes across the valley, the fox was getting an unwelcome reception from the sheep. Quick dash from the fox and off it went with a newborn lamb. The fox stopped at the top of the field and started eating which was it final act. Fox no 1 at about 230 yards. I left the rifle the one side of the brook and jumped over to go and recover the fox...checked to see exactly where the fox was..and another was sat in the field. Jumped back over..well into the brook getting very wet feet and headed back to where I has taken the shot on no 1 from. No 2 headed over and decided it was a nice snack and dropped in exactly the same spot as the first. 

2 vixens both with cubs so a good result. Unfortunately I cant put terriers down as the earths are all shared with badgers. 

20 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Good read that Mike. Those Welsh tree dwelling foxes reappeared eh. Good result though taking out those 2 vixens probably saved a few newborn's. 

Lol..I was watching it thinking how much stick Im going to get. Keep forgetting the "record" function on the spotter, still getting used to it. 

The farm next door have so many lambs and dont care much about losses so its difficult to know how many they had killed. The 1 vixen was a big lump and the 2 were obviously working together so I reckon mother and daughter. Strange that they tolerated each other given both had cubs but not unheard of. 

Off next week laying a new limecrete floor so hopefully I can get out a bit more. 

Good luck with those bucks mate :good:

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Lol..I was watching it thinking how much stick Im going to get. Keep forgetting the "record" function on the spotter, still getting used to it. 

The farm next door have so many lambs and dont care much about losses so its difficult to know how many they had killed. The 1 vixen was a big lump and the 2 were obviously working together so I reckon mother and daughter. Strange that they tolerated each other given both had cubs but not unheard of. 

Off next week laying a new limecrete floor so hopefully I can get out a bit more. 

Good luck with those bucks mate :good:

Trees i dont know this does seem a familiar theme😂 i know what is familiar though there are sheep near him😉

Went stalking tonight and dropped a lovely munty buck 5 mins after getting into the woods. Went back, got the truck and was driving out of the farm with the intention of checking the lambing fields before I left, so I’d kept the rifle loaded & on the wing mirror. I scanned the wood edge with my binos as I was making my way out and noticed a strange coloured lump under an oak. Creeping forward, Charlie came into view, fast asleep! Flat cap on the bonnet in lieu of a bipod (I stalk with sticks so had taken it off) & 80gr of softpoint .243 at 110yds ensured that sleeping beauty never woke up. 

3827066E-B8A9-4DAA-91B6-96E9724E9AC6.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Bumble said:

Went stalking tonight and dropped a lovely munty buck 5 mins after getting into the woods. Went back, got the truck and was driving out of the farm with the intention of checking the lambing fields before I left, so I’d kept the rifle loaded & on the wing mirror. I scanned the wood edge with my binos as I was making my way out and noticed a strange coloured lump under an oak. Creeping forward, Charlie came into view, fast asleep! Flat cap on the bonnet in lieu of a bipod (I stalk with sticks so had taken it off) & 80gr of softpoint .243 at 110yds ensured that sleeping beauty never woke up. 

3827066E-B8A9-4DAA-91B6-96E9724E9AC6.jpeg

Good work mate. Been busy on the bucks since started off the month. Called a nice one in Monday after stalking. But not had a dedicated night on them recent. with young underground trying to leave them on certain areas till there above ground. But if there causing problems then it will be back to usual. Am also waiting variation but better not get me started on that

Been very quiet on here recently. I suspect when cubs start causing mayhem next month it will be action stations. Suspect a mansion rebuild should be complete anytime soon

I had one on the lambing pens on Tuesday night. Farmer was begging me to do it saying he had seen it at 0200 and 0500. Joy of joys I thought but went to show willing at 2300. She was there in 20 mins and announced her arrival with a scattering of pheasant from the adjacent wood. Pheasant landed in the field and as it was a bit misty I was struggling with the thermal to make it out. I got on it with the drone and moments later the fox went for the bird. Bird scarpered with the fox after it and then fox returns to have a go at one of the ewe carcasses. An easy shot at 100m and back home within the hour. 

We still have that easterly here. 😞 I have a portable high seat on a field margin for the deer and any day the farmer may have his cattle out which will spoil the party. The wind direction is the opposite of what I need as it was set for a SW. I will try tonight regardless. 

Not been in here for a while. Got out last night on a farm that had just cut a few acres, sat out in the middle of about 30acres and only saw a barn owl. Then checking a few fields on my way out i spotted eyes in a neighbouring field. Lamp off and a few squeaks, lamp back on at base of a tree thinking that would be the route in, and there he was eyes wide open staring at me. Dropped on the spot. 

DSC-2262.jpg

On 23/04/2019 at 14:14, ShootingEgg said:

Not been in here for a while. Got out last night on a farm that had just cut a few acres, sat out in the middle of about 30acres and only saw a barn owl. Then checking a few fields on my way out i spotted eyes in a neighbouring field. Lamp off and a few squeaks, lamp back on at base of a tree thinking that would be the route in, and there he was eyes wide open staring at me. Dropped on the spot. 

DSC-2262.jpg

Well done mate. 

Usual house related absence as always. 

Managed 2 dogs and a vixen one night last week. Full moon so sat and waited under a hedge, caller on...flat battery in the handset so that was a waste of time. Dog called in the wood so I picked him up on the thermal and let him have it when he came out into the field. Bit of hand calling brought a vixen in (barren). Next farm I spent 10 mins following the fox about and another 10 mins trying to get a shot at it. Fox was curled up in the wood and easy to pick up on the thermal but not so easy to pick up with the NV and get a clear shot. Eventually he put his head up and expired. Not bothering much unless I get a call...more time to sort the mansion out :lol: