WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

What an anti climax.foxhunter is going to carry on getting the foxes with his spear and club. Mike won't even let him stay in one of the butler's chalets.

:lol: He can sleep in the pig pen, they have a nicer house then us...but the little blighters bite 

With the hot weather I did not venture out till about 9 last night. First spot I called in a fox to about 6 ft of me. But it was completely wrong side with no safe shot and carpeted as soon as it saw movement. Next spot was getting dark on a new permission that borders one of my old ones. Again called one in on cut gras but would not come of the brow of hill. Final check was chicken farm and after a bit of manouvering managed to pull of a tidy shot with my 404 and ward combo. Good size dog fox 

Did call round a lads with a pard 008 and try it after dark. With a dragonfly if on the picture was superb. Fantastic unit and will be adding one to armoury for sure

20190705_231202.jpg

Edited by bumpy22

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

With the hot weather I did not venture out till about 9 last night. First spot I called in a fox to about 6 ft of me. But it was completely wrong side with no safe shot and carpeted as soon as it saw movement. Next spot was getting dark on a new permission that borders one of my old ones. Again called one in on cut gras but would not come of the brow of hill. Final check was chicken farm and after a bit of manouvering managed to pull of a tidy shot with my 404 and ward combo. Good size dog fox 

Did call round a lads with a pard 008 and try it after dark. With a dragonfly if on the picture was superb. Fantastic unit and will be adding one to armoury for sure

20190705_231202.jpg

At least you got one m8 👍I wasn't out last night as going away to Scotland this afternoon looking for sika,,dug out my midge suit to protect myself from the little blighters 😉

Well I travelled up to the Scottish Borders yesterday afternoon in search of a sika stag.

The stalker and I strode out to the furthest piece of the ground to keep the wind right and so we could glass a big area of hill out in front of us with a forest running along the top. The deer come out of the forest and on to the open hill , so the plan was to lie up and watch and see what presented itself.

After seeing a few hinds I eventually spotted 2 stags appear out of a bracken clad gulley around 800 yards away. They fed a bit and then disappeared out of sight so we made a plan to stalk in and see what presented as we presumed the deer had laid down.

The plan worked perfectly , when we were 200 yards away from where we guessed they were they walked out of the gulley in front of us.

I was on my sticks and the stalker told me to take the front stag , now I am not a huge fan of stick shooting never mind 200 yards. The rifle was circling and I thought pull yourself together. As my crosshairs crossed the shoulder of the stag I fired and heard a very resounding strike at which the stag took off running a 100 yards before crashing into a fence , breaking an antler in the process. I was pleased with the shot as on inspection it was a good heart shot.

I3DHcwU.jpg

On 06/07/2019 at 09:20, bumpy22 said:

20190705_231202.jpg

:good:Well done mate 

16 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well I travelled up to the Scottish Borders yesterday afternoon in search of a sika stag.

The stalker and I strode out to the furthest piece of the ground to keep the wind right and so we could glass a big area of hill out in front of us with a forest running along the top. The deer come out of the forest and on to the open hill , so the plan was to lie up and watch and see what presented itself.

After seeing a few hinds I eventually spotted 2 stags appear out of a bracken clad gulley around 800 yards away. They fed a bit and then disappeared out of sight so we made a plan to stalk in and see what presented as we presumed the deer had laid down.

The plan worked perfectly , when we were 200 yards away from where we guessed they were they walked out of the gulley in front of us.

I was on my sticks and the stalker told me to take the front stag , now I am not a huge fan of stick shooting never mind 200 yards. The rifle was circling and I thought pull yourself together. As my crosshairs crossed the shoulder of the stag I fired and heard a very resounding strike at which the stag took off running a 100 yards before crashing into a fence , breaking an antler in the process. I was pleased with the shot as on inspection it was a good heart shot.

I3DHcwU.jpg

Nicely done Mark, excellent result 

No foxing for me but managed to get out with the shotgun for a couple of hours on Saturday morning. 4.00-7.00 and 43 mixed corvids for my efforts so not bad. Managed a full day of DIY on the mansion as well so not bad :lol:

Had a three quarter grown cub tonight. Went up into my woods with 20 bore hushpower. After 2 minutes of calling managed to bowl him over all of ten feet from me. Was very thick cover there so could here him coming through it. Satisfying as we have a lot of poultry there. Also saw a nice buck at the bottom of field which has been causing mayhem in the bean rows. Hopefully will try and get on him this week if I get time

Nice one FH well worth the drive. Good one to get Bumpy and not so easy in heavy cover. 

I was out on pigeons today and then cut grass for foxes tonight but it was brief and never saw any. I did spot a couple of deer in the top field but I did not have the time to go up and look. 

After a couple of hours removing brickwork and some lintels at the mansion I decided it would be nice to head out and see what this fox shooting lark is all about :lol:

I headed over to a 400 acre farm who cleared the silage a few days ago. I havent been here for a while so knew there should be a few about. 

Spot 1 - called for a bit with no luck. Last check before I left and there was a fox heading in from 1/2 mile away. Got back to a sensible spot and ambushed it when it popped through the fence. Cub no 1 down

Spot 2- I left 43 tasty corvids in a couple of patches of rough ground so knew they would attract some interest. I spotted a fox heading in so got ready on the sticks...bloody sheep everywhere so not shot ..another 4 feet and a safe shot would have presented but about 1 foot away and the fox winded me and hurtled off across the field 

Spot 3- quick call and a head appears over the brow of the hill, the fox reappears about 120 yards away and falls to a chest shot off the sticks, adult dog. The field full of young cattle next to me then stampede about for 10 minutes frightening everything away. I spot 2 more foxes here but no shot and cant get them to a shootable position. 

Spot 4- Spot a cub in the next field but awkward spot so a 100 yard change in position set me up for a shot...mr badger at this point has chased the cub out of site and then the vixen starts calling in the wood. Just before the cub disappears he stops and drops at about 140 yards. After about 2 minutes a second cub appears and drops about 3 feet from its sibling. 

4 down, about 10 seen but at 1.30 time for home. I ll be back out there in the next few days as there are at least 3 sets of cubs. 

i0YGhSg.jpg

Edited by WelshMike

27 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Nicely done Mike...haven't had chance to look about yet but hopefully do a few spots Friday night as have seen some cut grass. 

Cheers bud. One of the farmers called me before complaining about all the crows...looks like a couple of stints before work. At least with it being light at 4 I can shoot for 3 1/2 hours and then head to work which is 5 mins from the farm and still be in for 8...who needs sleep lol :lol:

3 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Cheers bud. One of the farmers called me before complaining about all the crows...looks like a couple of stints before work. At least with it being light at 4 I can shoot for 3 1/2 hours and then head to work which is 5 mins from the farm and still be in for 8...who needs sleep lol :lol:

I couldn't cope with that m8 good on ya...

16 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

I couldn't cope with that m8 good on ya...

13 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Good effort mate but I am with foxhunter too early for me. I get up at 6 every day but that's my limit. I am grumpy if any earlier 

12 hours ago, oowee said:

+1 Far too early. 

You bunch of jessies :lol: Its far to early for me as well really but about the only way I can fit shooting around work and mansion renovation. I need to get out with the rifle as well....tomorrow morning on crows and sat night with the rifle...gives me alternative nights with sod all sleep