• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

No 76 mate. A joint effort but good numbers for one permission in a year

Unreal number mate thats for sure. I managed 40 on 1 perm a couple of years back which was a shed load more then I would expect. Keep up the good work. I am in double figures for the year which is good going considering the lack of time I have available :lol:

They just keep coming. Apparently had some guys that shot there before but never very often. Owner is absolutely amazed. shot about 20 in first few weeks then After about six months was up to about 50 and thought it would slow right up. It has but usually getting one a week now. Must be such a draw for them. Just goes to show how many will come in to repopulate a piece of ground. When the nights draw in I will start baiting in front of the fox boxes. At the minute grass is very high on both sites. 

Had a sit out tonight, leaning against a round bale of hay overlooking a wood & listening to a rather good reggae set at a festival a couple of miles upwind of me wafting in on the breeze. 

This young chap popped out of the wood at 21.30, had a sit and a listen himself, with a 58gr Vmax from the .243 promptly knocking him down at 110yds. 

16DCF21E-9310-4B23-8962-9E4A3FAE28C6.png

Out with a chap for some roe bucks tonight and managed to bag a couple early on so off to a newly cut field for a quick squeek. Called one in within 10 mins but he was unable to get on it before it cleared the field. Walked out and looked back and it was back out on the track which gave him an easy ref point and down it went. Nice end to a lovely afternoon. 

On 20/07/2019 at 23:03, Bumble said:

Had a sit out tonight, leaning against a round bale of hay overlooking a wood & listening to a rather good reggae set at a festival a couple of miles upwind of me wafting in on the breeze. 

This young chap popped out of the wood at 21.30, had a sit and a listen himself, with a 58gr Vmax from the .243 promptly knocking him down at 110yds. 

16DCF21E-9310-4B23-8962-9E4A3FAE28C6.png

:good:Winchester varmint x rounds certainly do the trick. Nicely done 

On 21/07/2019 at 00:36, oowee said:

Out with a chap for some roe bucks tonight and managed to bag a couple early on so off to a newly cut field for a quick squeek. Called one in within 10 mins but he was unable to get on it before it cleared the field. Walked out and looked back and it was back out on the track which gave him an easy ref point and down it went. Nice end to a lovely afternoon. 

:good:Well done Grant. Nice to see you arent on holiday for once :lol:

19 hours ago, WelshMike said:

:good:Winchester varmint x rounds certainly do the trick. Nicely done 

I’ve stopped using the VarmintX & have somebody reload for me now, putting Vmax into my old brass. Works out nearly 40% cheaper, and the accuracy is more than adequate at 100yds!

4E8B95C9-0B27-473E-A99D-F0D89BEDF608.jpeg

4 hours ago, Bumble said:

I’ve stopped using the VarmintX & have somebody reload for me now, putting Vmax into my old brass. Works out nearly 40% cheaper, and the accuracy is more than adequate at 100yds!

4E8B95C9-0B27-473E-A99D-F0D89BEDF608.jpeg

You need to tighten that group up bud :lol: I would reload but its the cost of the setup and the time that I dont have at the moment so just sticking with factory ammo for the time being. I ll have plenty of brass to keep me going if I do go down the home loading route at some point. Keep up the good work. 

Out last night to be disturbed by Bumpy texting me with deer knock downs whilst I was trying to concentrate. Woman with two husbands 🤐 text to say Fox's frolicking on the lawn. I get down there in the evening and set up with the sheep out the back. I pot a fox in the field at the rear. A squeak sees it running over and I set up on the sticks. Its distracted by the random deer head I have chucked out. Unfortunately said deer head is in quite long grass and I cant see the fox :ermm:. I can see two more at the bottom of the field in range at about 180m but no safe shot. I squeak again and the first one is sprinting up to me and stops at a belated bark at 20m. I hate the close ones, all blurry it stops and I aim centre mass to drop a youngster.

I stayed for another hour and a half and despite seeing the foxes in the next field, off perm, I had no joy. 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Out last night to be disturbed by Bumpy texting me with deer knock downs whilst I was trying to concentrate. Woman with two husbands 🤐 text to say Fox's frolicking on the lawn. I get down there in the evening and set up with the sheep out the back. I pot a fox in the field at the rear. A squeak sees it running over and I set up on the sticks. Its distracted by the random deer head I have chucked out. Unfortunately said deer head is in quite long grass and I cant see the fox :ermm:. I can see two more at the bottom of the field in range at about 180m but no safe shot. I squeak again and the first one is sprinting up to me and stops at a belated bark at 20m. I hate the close ones, all blurry it stops and I aim centre mass to drop a youngster.

I stayed for another hour and a half and despite seeing the foxes in the next field, off perm, I had no joy. 

Good work young man. I had a early evening sat by pheasant pen where fox has been spotted. With loads of cover I did see a fox after a few squeaks but no luck to even lift the shotgun before it melted into cover. Will have to try again this week as birds are in 2 weeks. Left there hour before dark and managed a tidy buck. Quick look round fox box with nothing but rabbits about. Still usual story of too much to cover and not enough time. Should not complain really

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Good work young man. I had a early evening sat by pheasant pen where fox has been spotted. With loads of cover I did see a fox after a few squeaks but no luck to even lift the shotgun before it melted into cover. Will have to try again this week as birds are in 2 weeks. Left there hour before dark and managed a tidy buck. Quick look round fox box with nothing but rabbits about. Still usual story of too much to cover and not enough time. Should not complain really

Any signs of the rut m8 With this hot weather I haven't got the inclination to go out. Bloody forecast is rain again at weekend,   might get out Friday night.

Tough night out tonight. Normally there’s plenty of hares and badgers out in the fields when I’m walking about, but all I saw in 3 hours was 1 hare & a charlie that went off like a stabbed rat once I flicked the lamp on it. 

Stomping back to the truck in a grump, I had a flick around the final field with the lamp and, after a solid rest on a hay bale & a whistle to stop him at 80yds, it was dog cub down. Happy days. 

8E21F9BC-AC16-49DF-BEC2-A887C8DB13BB.jpeg

👍Unable to get out last night due to thunderstorms and rain again tonight ☹ Strange some nights they're out and others you see nothing, I tried the other night where I know there are 2 litters and like you only saw 1 badger and a hare.Theres always another night though...

Edited by FOXHUNTER1

Back out last night after a call about dead chickens. I set up on the bank overlooking the pen in question...farmers dont help themselves sometimes and the pen was great for anything that wanted to hide...90% is covered in thistles about 3 foot tall. I could hear chickens being killed along the perimeter of the fence but couldnt see anything and the layout of the ground makes it very difficult. I had to sit and wait .....after a hour I gave up with that plan and went for a slow and steady wander. Managed to pick off a cub on another part of the farm before watching 2 adults fighting in a wood 400 + yards away on the other side of the road. No chance of getting anywhere near them so back over to the original spot. On the way there I spotted a fox in the bottom of another field..had to negotiate a 6 foot fence before dropping no 2 about 130 yards away. Final fox from the original spot made it 3. 2 cubs and 1 adult...I think.It was just after 1.00...one fox was up a steep bank and the other in a field full of calves....so I will have a word with the farmer and get him to go and get them and then take the pasture topper over the pen so I can see what the heck is going on....  

Been busy on the rabbits and birds with a lot of corn being harvested. Have not been in the fox boxes for a while. But a mate of mine who is a builder has put a more substantial roof on the two different boxes as the one I did was leaking. He is very competent shot with airgun and shotgun but not done anything with powder burning rifles. Took him up to one of the boxes where we had hung half a dozen rabbits earlier in the week. We climbed up into box switched light on inside got all gear ready and opened windows. Immediately he said I think there is a fox through his thermal. Me thinking it must be a rabbit had a quick look. Sure enough a fox trotting straight in to the bait. A few moment later he is on blaser r8 with xight. I tell him I will give it a squeak and it will look up. Then chest shoot it. It all went to plan and he dropped it perfectly with little 204 pill. One very happy man and I think he has caught the bug. The chicken farm is still producing. Been leaving quite a bit of land of recent but when the nights get longer I am sure there will be a few to go at. Still looking into getting a 008 and it will be good to compare with grants drone.