Fox club

WelshMike

Nice one Bumpy,  I had a look out with .22 for bunnies last night. Not a breath and fog rolling in so not ideal and not as many about as was expecting but ended up with 13. Got lamped off poachers and cheeky ******* asked me what I was doing and if I had permission. This area gets poached badly and are very brazened so unfortunately the hares will have to be shot to deter them. Out tonight see if I can find any foxes. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back out Saturday night...wildlife everywhere...Every fox I saw was in a non shootable position...Every time I moved I should have stayed where I was and vice versa. I finally managed to shoot a cub at 1.30 ..headed back to the truck to hear the sound of dying chicken...got to the side of the pen and there was a fox happily eating a freshly killed chicken. Since the backstop was made of tin and expensive (chicken shed) I watched through the thermal until a shot presented itself...which it didnt. The fox disappeared and the heavens opened so I headed home just after 2.00.....try and get back out tonight...

Good effort mike. At least your trying not using this decorating the bathroom excuse all the time. Fox Hunter I am sure you will come across a few soon. There will be plenty being pushed out by the adults looking for new ground. Maybe having a bash at them Friday or alternatively harvesting rabbits with grant.

17 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

At least your seeing them m8

:good:

17 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Good effort mike. At least your trying not using this decorating the bathroom excuse all the time. Fox Hunter I am sure you will come across a few soon. There will be plenty being pushed out by the adults looking for new ground. Maybe having a bash at them Friday or alternatively harvesting rabbits with grant.

Cheers Ed. Nearly finished replacing the skirting board...god knows why it has taken 18 months lol

One last night. Surprisingly a smallish cub. Spotted one mousing in a field and squeaked it in. But as it trotted in another shot in front of it and was shot at about thirty yards. First one departed but will be there for another day. 

All other Cubs we have been shooting recent have been a good size where as this one was only half grown at best. Must of been late litter

On 04/08/2019 at 19:15, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well was out til 2am last night and never saw a fox,  all I saw was 2 hares and a hedgehog 🦔

Well there was a break in the rain last night so headed out to a farm where I was confident of seeing a fox. Well I was right but it was a very frustrating night due to the wind and rough fields of thistles and rushes. I saw/called 6 or 7 but they either came in behind me or no shot on, very frustrating to say the least. Eventually one called in but hung up behind a fence and I could only see its eyes through the cover so out of frustration I had a shot but missed just to end a very frustrating night. On the plus side I saw a few and hopefully will have a better night next time. 🤔

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well there was a break in the rain last night so headed out to a farm where I was confident of seeing a fox. Well I was right but it was a very frustrating night due to the wind and rough fields of thistles and rushes. I saw/called 6 or 7 but they either came in behind me or no shot on, very frustrating to say the least. Eventually one called in but hung up behind a fence and I could only see its eyes through the cover so out of frustration I had a shot but missed just to end a very frustrating night. On the plus side I saw a few and hopefully will have a better night next time. 🤔

Sounds a annoying night. Have a pard 008 on order so should be here in next few weeks. Will do a report when it arrives 

23 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

At least there are some about for you mate. Reckon you should lay of that new manfume though :lol:

Back out tomorrow night as the weather is set to behave....hopefully. 

Bumpy and me were out last thurs trying to fulfill a rabbit order. Met at the farm and Bumpy kindly offered to drive so that I did not have to get my new shiny truck dirty. We started too early in the hope of dodging the rain but had to stay till dark to see good numbers. The rain was coming down in sheets to the point where we had to resort to a torch and getting very close up ditching the nv as the IR would not cut through the rain. Even the thermal was struggling. It was so wet.... and it was over horse paddocks so we had to roll under the electric wires to collect the rabbits. It was insane and funny all at the same time. I was so wet at the end of the evening that I could wring water from all my clothes. 

We managed a half decent bag but nothing like the numbers we hoped to get. 

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Bumpy and me were out last thurs trying to fulfill a rabbit order. Met at the farm and Bumpy kindly offered to drive so that I did not have to get my new shiny truck dirty. We started too early in the hope of dodging the rain but had to stay till dark to see good numbers. The rain was coming down in sheets to the point where we had to resort to a torch and getting very close up ditching the nv as the IR would not cut through the rain. Even the thermal was struggling. It was so wet.... and it was over horse paddocks so we had to roll under the electric wires to collect the rabbits. It was insane and funny all at the same time. I was so wet at the end of the evening that I could wring water from all my clothes. 

The butcher was happy but it was tough going for the amount of rabbits. But bloody good fun. We managed to change tactics well when all nv thermal etc had failed. Just shows we can still use a lamp lol

Had a night up in woods earlier as the wind was up took the 20g hushpower. Had a few pigeons then decided  to call in one of my favourite spots. Had a three quarter grown cub come in bombing  from the right. Stopped about 15 yards out turned as I raised barrel. A quick shout made it look over its shoulder. 

20190812_205650.jpg

Edited by bumpy22

Had another very quiet look around tonight. I stopped at the bottom of the estate drive and decided to have a call next to the fence to a 15 acre field with a fair few sheep in it. 

Call, lamp, call, lamp,  nothing. Final call and a scan with the lamp revealed charlie sat there looking at me along the fence line, 30yds away! It sat beautifully still while I steadied the rifle on the fence post, put the crosshairs on its chest... and promptly pulled the shot, missing completely. It went off like a stabbed rat, not pausing for a second go. Oh ******!!! 

19 hours ago, oowee said:

15 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

The butcher was happy but it was tough going for the amount of rabbits. But bloody good fun. We managed to change tactics well when all nv thermal etc had failed. Just shows we can still use a lamp lol

Had a night up in woods earlier as the wind was up took the 20g hushpower. Had a few pigeons then decided  to call in one of my favourite spots. Had a three quarter grown cub come in bombing  from the right. Stopped about 15 yards out turned as I raised barrel. A quick shout made it look over its shoulder. 

20190812_205650.jpg

:good:

12 hours ago, Bumble said:

Had another very quiet look around tonight. I stopped at the bottom of the estate drive and decided to have a call next to the fence to a 15 acre field with a fair few sheep in it. 

Call, lamp, call, lamp,  nothing. Final call and a scan with the lamp revealed charlie sat there looking at me along the fence line, 30yds away! It sat beautifully still while I steadied the rifle on the fence post, put the crosshairs on its chest... and promptly pulled the shot, missing completely. It went off like a stabbed rat, not pausing for a second go. Oh ******!!! 

:sad1: Oops...sounds like exactly what happens to me every time a fox is less then 50 yards away :lol:

17 hours ago, Bumble said:

Close ones are the tricky ones lol. 

13 hours ago, oowee said:

Close ones are the tricky ones lol. 

It wasn’t far off the range where I could have clubbed it!

I’ll be doing some short range practice next time I go shoot targets, as it’s all well and good being able to ring the 2” gong at 300yds every time, but not much use if you can’t hit Charlie at 40yds when it’s sitting there waiting to be shot 🤣

5 hours ago, Bumble said:

It wasn’t far off the range where I could have clubbed it!

I’ll be doing some short range practice next time I go shoot targets, as it’s all well and good being able to ring the 2” gong at 300yds every time, but not much use if you can’t hit Charlie at 40yds when it’s sitting there waiting to be shot 🤣

:lol: very true mate. 

Managed to get another dog fox cub last night. Saw 4 or 5 but always in cover, in the wrong place, to far away, wrong side of the road....usual excuses :lol: Need to catch up with the adults but not surprisingly the cubs are always the ones stupid enough to present a shot. I ll rattle through the rest of them over the next couple of weeks and then hopefully the only chances I will get will be the trouble makers.