Fox club

WelshMike

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Good  result with the moon on m8 I ventured out with the Hmr for some ground game but hardly anything about which was expected. Still got a few shots , lip squeaked a fox in to around 80yds which I hit but it took off into the distance ☹

20191108_215716-800x389.jpg

Result a good few for the pot mate

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where does the time go?   Seems an absolute age since I posted on here...

I have been using my 8x57 for Fox and the occasional Deer for a while now, but a new perm has a small army of Rats around the silage clamp and yards, so last night gave the CZ 17 Hornet an outing. Had to be careful of a solid backstop around the yards, but easily popped 15 before the action dried up. Some patient scanning around, from a handy concrete ****-spreader loading ramp; I spotted a fox in the next field over, obscured by trees but  hanging about looking to be mousing under a hedge. a couple of loud tootles on the mouth caller had him coming in at 45 degrees, then I lost him behind the hedge. Another merry tune on the caller and out he pops, but stays tight to the hedge. Just about to touch off the set trigger, but he slinks off right into doc leaves. I get a second chance when he re-appears 20m further right, still tight to the hedge. I snap off the shot and he seems to thrash into the hedge, sound of a solid hit though. Its a cold misty night and the atmospherics are giving a poor thermal image, I know I am walking towards the general area he dropped - but cannot find him at all. Ten minutes up down and back and forth but no sign of the deceased. Annoying.

To the North the ground rises up, and I can see another Fox again a couple of fields away. I move in to the top corner of the field I'm in, but that is as close as I can get without doing a lengthy back track and loop round the yards. Its 200m roughly, a decent distance for night time, so I tighten up the beam on the nv torch. Push the trigger forward on the CZ  for 'set' trigger mode again....crack! Fox folds over like its deflating. Such a versatile round the 17 Hornet, popping rats at short range and stretching its legs out for the Fox. Was going to scale down the armoury, but I think I better keep the Hornet after all. 

Ventured out last night under the full moon and not expecting a lot. First patch had us popping off a few rabbits with little hmr. On to another patch and could see a fox o a hill. About 400 yards away. Managed to cut the distance to about half and he stood up from his sleeping spot. Could only see his head from the cover and managed to pull of a good shot with 243 at 200. Carried on to a couple more patches but only saw rabbits. Then pulled in a gateway a quick scan revealed nothing amongst the sheep. So tried a few squeaks. Not expecting to see anything and a fox came in from far side of field. Quick rush for rifle in truck. But she had gone back to cover. A few minutes of scanning and I spotted her running back across the hedge. A shout,bark and finally a squeak stopped her long enough for the hmr to hit her in the chest. Short run and she dropped. Spotted a couple of others last night but not safe to shoot. Seems to be plenty about 20191112_080353.jpg.8ebd319ad71652199a022bab7648ef22.jpg

Me and grant ventured out in the wind and rain last night. First spot saw me carry the caller into the 30 yards from the hedge. Walked back and as soon as I pressed play a fox came straight In within seconds. Got to the muted caller turned and ran back to the fence where grant bowled it over perfectly.

20191116_084128.thumb.jpg.aa9c99527274c12e09482d773f70b46a.jpg

Carried on with the caller and and two more came in together with a third behind in the deep cover. I could not get them to come through stock fence no matter what I tried. Grant hit one over through the wire. But it did get to cover where we could not retrieve it.

Onto next spot and immediately a fox is spotted onto ten yards from us in a gateway. But he was away before we could get on it. Up to the big hill. A fox was trotting across with no calling and grant again pulled of a good shot to put him on the ground 20191116_084157.thumb.jpg.d86909b05c45598b95bbbcd89b534ca5.jpgwe carried on up the hill and played caller for about ten minutes then spotted a fox come in on stubble. Probably about 220 yards  away. Not wanting to miss one. I squeaked him in to about 40 yards. A shout stopped him and grant put him down.20191116_084128.thumb.jpg.aa9c99527274c12e09482d773f70b46a.jpg

Off to another part where rabbits are causing problems around the paddocks. Out with hmr and knocked a few over20191116_084223.jpg.b749885bb82acea94df9a5de26c15f77.jpg

20191116_084241.jpg

Edited by bumpy22

17 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Good stuff lads, haven't been out all week due to this awful weather , when will it ever dry up. Rough shoot today,  drizzle all day but still had a good day. 

I went out on the blacks all morning and had a cracking day wallowing in mud. Managed to get a good number of blacks with a few pigeons and get through 150 ish shells.  Just about got all the mud off and then it was back out with Bumpy. It was not raining but the mud is everywhere. There was one gate we went to off a track and it was nearly a foot deep in porridge. 

Just popped out for a quick call , nothing responded to the vocal calls so switched to hare distress and immediately from nowhere there was a fox. I was trying to get myself comfy for the shot when it decided to try and circle me to get my wind which it did and vanished 😡 I spotted it again in next field but no safe shot se he lived to fight another day.

Didn’t get to go out last week as the mrs had flu, so popped out last night with the caller, called round the keepers cottage for a cuppa and a chat before going to a high seat between the pen and a small wood, I set up the fox pro on a section of stock fence that runs between them about 70yards from the seat. It’s now 7pm, I decided the first soundtrack for this evening would be a sexy vixen on heat call,  I leave that to play for a minute or so then have a scan around with the pard nv007. Couple of minutes later a big old dog foxs trots out a cover crop and sits nicely at peg 3, 175 yards from me. Tikka 223 with pard nv008 comes up, wack he takes a 50gn v-Max to the bib and drops instantly, victory fag and let things settle for a few minutes, then I switch to dirty dog fox mating call, 5 minutes later a vixen comes out at the top of the wood and trots along to peg 5 (135 yards from me) she also enjoys a v-max to the bib. Climb down and pick both foxes and walk back to my mates cottage for a cup of tea and a natty about the two foxes, it’s now 8pm.  whilst stood in the barn. We hear another fox bark that comes up behind his house and heads off to where I had just nailed the other two. Hopefully catch up with that one later this week. Sorry no pictures as my phone was at home charging.

1 hour ago, bang bang birdy said:

Didn’t get to go out last week as the mrs had flu, so popped out last night with the caller, called round the keepers cottage for a cuppa and a chat before going to a high seat between the pen and a small wood, I set up the fox pro on a section of stock fence that runs between them about 70yards from the seat. It’s now 7pm, I decided the first soundtrack for this evening would be a sexy vixen on heat call,  I leave that to play for a minute or so then have a scan around with the pard nv007. Couple of minutes later a big old dog foxs trots out a cover crop and sits nicely at peg 3, 175 yards from me. Tikka 223 with pard nv008 comes up, wack he takes a 50gn v-Max to the bib and drops instantly, victory fag and let things settle for a few minutes, then I switch to dirty dog fox mating call, 5 minutes later a vixen comes out at the top of the wood and trots along to peg 5 (135 yards from me) she also enjoys a v-max to the bib. Climb down and pick both foxes and walk back to my mates cottage for a cup of tea and a natty about the two foxes, it’s now 8pm.  whilst stood in the barn. We hear another fox bark that comes up behind his house and heads off to where I had just nailed the other two. Hopefully catch up with that one later this week. Sorry no pictures as my phone was at home charging.

Great result well done. They would of done a lot of damage

At last got one 😁 Tried calling on the shoot in the likely spots with no joy.  Was heading back to the car when I spotted a fox but **** law it wasnt safe.😡 Tried getting closer but it disappeared,  spotted it in next field next to pen , a quick shuffle on to the nearest fence post and it was lights out 🥳

20191122_221257-600x1234.jpg

Good job had similar the other week. Took doe and follower while the other made her way away. Have been told there are a few about on my ground. Usually don't like to go at them to early in the year because of the obvious young. Had a great morning ferreting with my dad who is 76 and son who s 6 lol. Quite hard work keeping a eye on them nets, terriers,holes and ferrets. But had a good morning to be fair with all working well. Not much better than a good days ferreting