WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, ShropshireSam said:

My first full season on the foxes.  Bought a caller in August and not really had much luck with it until I started using the vixen on heat calls had 9 in last 2 weeks ... love to see them running in from range.

Well done. Best time of year. Have to admit digital callers come into there own this time of year. I make some strange noises with my hand. But the callers with mating sounds on are so valuable this time of year. Keep at them and look forward to hearing more

3 hours ago, ShropshireSam said:

My first full season on the foxes.  Bought a caller in August and not really had much luck with it until I started using the vixen on heat calls had 9 in last 2 weeks ... love to see them running in from range.

Great results m8 , mating calls are great when you have foxes about but sadly they have all left my county  🤣🤣🤣

Out last night looking on the edge of my perm :). Told myself to sit quiet and watch the apple bait that I had put out over the last week. Never saw what I was looking for but pretty sure they are there. 

Told myself to concentrate and leave the foxes but could not resist a couple on the long walk back to the truck. 

Very dodgy underfoot. It was a dark night and the ground is very wet. 

On 21/01/2020 at 07:39, oowee said:

Out last night cold and dark .

We called 10. Two were saved by the fog as they mooched about just out of IR range. One was saved by the fence he was sitting behind. The rest were not so lucky.

small 7.jpg

Bloody hell, that’s a hell of a haul! Awesome job!

my best night out also resulted in 7 foxes, my best day in a hide ended in 76 birds, funnily enough both times were with the same person! Nice when you got a couple experts on the job!

good job again mate

19 hours ago, trigger1 said:

Bloody hell, that’s a hell of a haul! Awesome job!

my best night out also resulted in 7 foxes, my best day in a hide ended in 76 birds, funnily enough both times were with the same person! Nice when you got a couple experts on the job!

good job again mate

😂

8 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Made a start on the does today , my m8 was shooting and I was glassing. Took 3 does but was shocked by the numbers we saw on a small area , counted 26 with 15 in 1 field. Got some work to do as farmer wants them thinned out .....

20200202_161224_copy_600x1234.jpg

Good effort. Went out yesterday morning before our clayshoot but it was gale force and wet yesterday. Need to get cracking with a hedgerow this weekend weather permitting ferrets will get a run out. Getting nagged by stable owners lol

• 2 weeks later...

Well done m8. Often wondered how many foxes that are presumed missed are actually hit and never found ? I once shot a fox near some rushes and couldn't find it , thought I'd missed but found it next day only a few yards from where I had been searching. Another night shot a fox which ran and again couldn't find it , next day searched for it and it had ran 100 yards and was found in some rough. Cracking pic that 👍

Have not been on for a while but thought I would put this weeks adventures up. 20200221_085841.jpg.b84f76bca7d4e6552bf86b40c5721096.jpg

Monday saw us on new patch where they keep chickens. Ground had been cleared of bramble recently. Vixen call set and nice vixen came in to chest shot20200221_091304.jpg.c09142f3302091fbfa79f35e038a1720.jpg

Next spot was a large hillside brought a big dog fox in from across the other side of farm

Thursday night saw us at new farm in Devon. First field I brought in nice vixen to the hand call20200221_085637.jpg.9582c60b9412da7b7017a5d14c3ad4fb.jpg

Next field another vixen to pheasant distress.20200221_091811.jpg.b565914295368c6277d0a39fb8bc5f09.jpg

Then I shot a dog fox in a huge field of kale which took some finding.20200221_085740.thumb.jpg.ec14032ca3d0310b43fcb946311ab746.jpg

We then moved on to another area half hour down the road hand called a big dog in.to make it 4 for the night with little hmr lol. By then it was nearly midnight and we had to travel back to Somerset fo half six start

That's nearly 30 so far this year with no let up. With too much too cover by the looks of things. 

20200221_094002.jpg.56dda10475b66d50c77c6a63b02dcfbc.jpg

20200221_085841.jpg

Edited by bumpy22

Was out stalking with my m8 yesterday when I spied a fox at the side of a shelter belt. It disappeared from sight so I got my m8 set up on the sticks and gave a hand squeak with the fox showing only 20 yds away so no shot 😡 It ran back to some gorse and unbelievably stopped and my m8 dropped it , a nice dog fox 😁

20200223_162435_copy_600x1234.jpg

We then had a look out with the lamp after blanking on the deer even though we saw about a dozen . Started calling and a pair appeared immediately with the dog eventually being called in to around 150 yds using the cub call 😁

20200223_204307_copy_600x1234.jpg

Good going there Foxhunter. I dropped on a place last night where I was a fortnight since when I managed to shoit a vixen. I called last night for 30 mins but nothing showed. I was just about to leave when I flicked the lamp in one last time and two pairs of eyes looked backed at me. Obviously a pair running together, which I think is quite late, I normally have them paired up December time. They certainly didn’t come to my squeak looking at their behaviour, they both didn’t seem too bothered with the lamp as well. I dropped the vixen and left her where she fell hoping to get her mate to return. He did but stayed behind cover, just offering me the odd eye shine. Never seen him after that. .22 Hornet did the job again 👍🏻

AE59E730-9CE7-4DEA-988F-86AA582D59D0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Having the ususal few over the last couple of weeks but nothing overly intereesting other than a lambing pen where I have had 6 over the last few weeks but there are at least another four in play. Looks like they are being fed as something is drawing them in. 

Anyways out with a mate last night and with a nearly full moon it was not going to be an easy night. Spotted the first as it crossed onto the road but a few calls saw it back in the field with the road as a back drop. A few minutes of patience and bored it wandered off to be dropped at about 150m. Next farm pulling up in the gate and spot one on the hill. Its about 300m away and quickly responds to the call to about 200m where it sat down and dropped to the shot. Over the gate and another is in the far field. No response to the call so, mate drops it at about 200m. Over to the next field, we pull in the gate way and another is running off up the hill. A quick squeak, it stops and drops. Mate is on a roll no messing and cracking shooting. 

Last farm for the night and nothing wants to play but we spot one on the far hill. Call it in and it runs (serious limp) over and spots us at about 100m and takes flight. I stop it at 260m and next second it drops to a cracking shot. We do not want to collect it as its three fields, six fences and 260m of deep mud away. As we debate what to do next another is on the hill side sniffing about not far from its dead mate. A call stops it and again it drops to the shot at 240m. 

Some nights you can get on a roll and last night despite the moon was one of them. Hats off to my mates shooting :good:

IMG-20200309-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20200309-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200309-WA0002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a wander around the shoot last weekend and found fresh fox scats so decided to have a look tonight. Caller running for 10 mins sees a fox flying  in , but too well.  Didn't have time to mute caller and it ran straight out again 😡 Now it is ******* down so might try another spot on way home.

• 2 weeks later...

Well haven't been on here in ages so decided to have a catch up and see how the boys are doing on the fox's. It's hard not being able to get out now with the lock down as I have farmers on the phone every week to cull fox's. Had a look out on a small bit of land before the lock Down as the farmer had seen a pair of fox's about and they had killed a goose. So a quick call to my mate to see if he fancied a look out and he jumped at the chance. We got set up on the first stand and set the caller away Jack rabbit was the call of choice and boy did it pay off 4 in the bag. On to the second stand and the action never stopped another 2 in the bag I missed and seen another 3 but no shot fair to say there's one or two about farmer was over the moon with the 6 shot in under 2 hours I let my m8 shoot on the night and he still didn't smile miserable *** lol

14 minutes ago, ratcherman said:

Can't upload photo of 2nd stand

IMG_20200318_212100.jpg

Edited by ratcherman

• 2 weeks later...