Fox club

WelshMike

well done adam i did worry you were rehoming foxes not shooting them:yahoo::lol:

now Grant nice write up. but i think we do need to mention the ammo situation or lack of it. as most of you will know Grant has done very well in his career which has led to him retiring early and spending much of his time hunting. well done Grant:good:. i was obviously impressed with this while i am slaving away he is sending me pics of his forays :mad: now think this retirement was brought on by his success.i have had second thoughts last night:hmm:we were lucky to pick up more ground last night with a decent rabbit population as our man mentioned. once the shooting began i noticed Grant bag was looking a bit empty of ammo to this he answers i dont want to use too many. which is fine except i have a friend in the trade that gets us our shooting stuff at trade price. so although he did not want to use them he got them cheap in the first place:no: 

so i think his success is bought on by one thing tight as a ducks a%%e:lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Good stuff getting a fox  , impossible for me at the minute , the last 4 I have called in with the baby fox call have scarpered once lit up :unhappy: Think I will have to change strategy to dusk calling :yes:

Nv all that venison will pay for it:good:

5 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

well done adam i did worry you were rehoming foxes not shooting them

It helps if i see one when out!!! ? 

Only seen three in the last 6 weeks and all have dropped. Ave now had to put mink traps out on the lake as have seen them about... Little *%£&£ers 

10 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

It helps if i see one when out!!! ? 

Only seen three in the last 6 weeks and all have dropped. Ave now had to put mink traps out on the lake as have seen them about... Little *%£&£ers 

We have not seen so much about last couple of weeks. Not sure if its the hot weather or just that time? Same with the deer. 

Went looking for deer on the hill but chances spoilt by cattle. Managed to dodge a heavy shower and getting back to the truck. Called for a few minutes just before last light. Saw a fox creep to the edge of the field and sit deep in the undergrowth. Could just make out it's head in the scope at about 120m. Estimated chest and down it went.

IMG-20180526-WA0006[1].jpg

0dc442ae-e2e6-41e3-8ca1-3e645e215d60.jpg.69db7a300252fca86e400d346c1e836b.jpg

Out a few nights ago with an old Ex Army buddy, we meet up occasionally and alternate every other time between his area - over Brizzle way, and mine. It was my turn to host him here, so first stop was my sheep farm perm with the den at the top of the hill. This has proved a bit of an awkward one to deal with, as the direction of approach is limited; by the ability to maintain a safe back stop. Nothing showing in the first couple of fields, so we creep through the farmyard to get to the other half of the farm, and the den on the hilltop.

As we tiptoe through the gate leading out from the yard, I stop and give a thumbs down 'enemy ahead' hand signal. A fox is sniffing about very close in front, 25m? partly obscured by a big patch of nettles! I slowly set up sticks, unshoulder my M12 .243 and get set up.......and a clear miss over the top :whistling:  I even see the 'splash' as the 65gr Vmax strikes the turf above :bye2:   Of course, my buddy does not spend the next ten minutes rubbing salt into the wound, with childish jokes......

We make our way across to the den area, climbing the side of the big hill opposite to the den site. After half an hour or so of hand squeak practice, we see action at the far hedge. A little more rather dubious hand squeaking, and my buddy drops a part grown cub. Naturally he insists on pacing out the 140 steps to the kill site. Another five minutes of salt-rubbing ensues. All is still for a while, so we advance towards a barbed wire fence, giving us a view down the far slope of the hill; we get settled and try a few more amateurish squeaks. Two fox appear! I signal my buddy to take the shot, as he has a slightly better vantage point than me. MISS! the second miss of the night, and it is followed by some rather half hearted excuses from him. After a while the whispered curses subside, and we focus on the job at hand. Some time later I redeem my self when one of the fox reappears from the hedge down at the bottom of the slope. I line up the M12 and drop the second part grown cub of the night. Both are pictured above.

Hammo

19 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Nv all that venison will pay for it:good:

NV is not for me , I have considered it for a few years but am still old school  , I really enjoy the buzz of lighting up the ruby eyes and watching the fox come in . I know it has its advantages but the only time I struggle with foxes is after New Year and around about now when they have cubs and seem to be very cautious. I will struggle on and I am sure I will be in amongst them again once the fields are cut.

22 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

NV is not for me , I have considered it for a few years but am still old school  , I really enjoy the buzz of lighting up the ruby eyes and watching the fox come in . I know it has its advantages but the only time I struggle with foxes is after New Year and around about now when they have cubs and seem to be very cautious. I will struggle on and I am sure I will be in amongst them again once the fields are cut.

i was the same used to carry a car battery in a bucket as a kid. after using a lamp for years i never trusted thermal to start with and had to scan with the old lamp just to be certain lol.  there is no doubt you will be getting them and it does not do the job for you. but certainly makes life easier to get problem individuals.  a bit of time saver i suppose

2 hours ago, Hammo said:

0dc442ae-e2e6-41e3-8ca1-3e645e215d60.jpg.69db7a300252fca86e400d346c1e836b.jpg

Out a few nights ago with an old Ex Army buddy, we meet up occasionally and alternate every other time between his area - over Brizzle way, and mine. It was my turn to host him here, so first stop was my sheep farm perm with the den at the top of the hill. This has proved a bit of an awkward one to deal with, as the direction of approach is limited; by the ability to maintain a safe back stop. Nothing showing in the first couple of fields, so we creep through the farmyard to get to the other half of the farm, and the den on the hilltop.

As we tiptoe through the gate leading out from the yard, I stop and give a thumbs down 'enemy ahead' hand signal. A fox is sniffing about very close in front, 25m? partly obscured by a big patch of nettles! I slowly set up sticks, unshoulder my M12 .243 and get set up.......and a clear miss over the top :whistling:  I even see the 'splash' as the 65gr Vmax strikes the turf above :bye2:   Of course, my buddy does not spend the next ten minutes rubbing salt into the wound, with childish jokes......

We make our way across to the den area, climbing the side of the big hill opposite to the den site. After half an hour or so of hand squeak practice, we see action at the far hedge. A little more rather dubious hand squeaking, and my buddy drops a part grown cub. Naturally he insists on pacing out the 140 steps to the kill site. Another five minutes of salt-rubbing ensues. All is still for a while, so we advance towards a barbed wire fence, giving us a view down the far slope of the hill; we get settled and try a few more amateurish squeaks. Two fox appear! I signal my buddy to take the shot, as he has a slightly better vantage point than me. MISS! the second miss of the night, and it is followed by some rather half hearted excuses from him. After a while the whispered curses subside, and we focus on the job at hand. Some time later I redeem my self when one of the fox reappears from the hedge down at the bottom of the slope. I line up the M12 and drop the second part grown cub of the night. Both are pictured above.

Hammo

good work. sounds like you will have a few to clear there before they are moved 

I've had a fox giving me the runaround for over a week now. I've sat from 11 till 3 for 3 nights and no show and no dead but as soon as I don't go we get dead geese. Saturday I didn't go and it killed so last night I waited till 3.15am and no show but 22 dead geese this morning so now off to bed with alarm set for midnight and hopefully it will turn up in the morning.

Well done gents. 

Bornfree- I am sure you will catch up with the fox soon mate. 

Apologies for the absence...BT Broadband has been playing up as usual so no internet at home...plus the mansion requires lots of work. Sunday morning I took some old timber panelling off (not posh oak stuff, some cheap painted pine) ...and about 200 kg of stone came out with it. That kept me busy for a couple of days rebuilding the wall. It doesnt look pretty with a mix of stone, brick and blockword but its certainly not going to fall down again thats for sure. 

Keep up the good work gents 

Got the little sod this morning 3.25am he turned up, a small dog. I nearly didn't get him as about 3am I heard the geese run and thought game on , and there was 11 roe deer in the exact pen the fox had been visiting. They were lined up at the feed hoppers so when the geese ran again I nearly didn't bother looking thinking it was the deer glad I did as it was the fox.

2 hours ago, bornfree said:

Got the little sod this morning 3.25am he turned up, a small dog. I nearly didn't get him as about 3am I heard the geese run and thought game on , and there was 11 roe deer in the exact pen the fox had been visiting. They were lined up at the feed hoppers so when the geese ran again I nearly didn't bother looking thinking it was the deer glad I did as it was the fox.

good effort at that time:good:just picked up another fox problem and new permission tonight:yes: we are going to have a busy few months

Edited by bumpy22

13 hours ago, bornfree said:

Nicely done mate :good:

11 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

good effort at that time:good:just picked up another fox problem and new permission tonight:yes: we are going to have a busy few months

You boys must be on for at least 76 this year :lol:

16 hours ago, bornfree said:

Good effort there and just reward well done. 

On 27/05/2018 at 10:15, Hammo said:

As we tiptoe through the gate leading out from the yard, I stop and give a thumbs down 'enemy ahead' hand signal. A fox is sniffing about very close in front, 25m? partly obscured by a big patch of nettles! I slowly set up sticks, unshoulder my M12 .243 and get set up.......and a clear miss over the top   I even see the 'splash' as the 65gr Vmax strikes the turf above    Of course, my buddy does not spend the next ten minutes rubbing salt into the wound, with childish jokes......

I have a shooting mate just like that. ? Close ones are often the hardest. If you get them it's a no brainer easy shot and if you miss you pay for it for the next month at least. I had one come in to 20 m out in the open and ma clear miss followed by 'YOU MISSED', like i know i missed thats why it's run away. Lucky for me it stopped at 165m. Spotter said hold over 1 and 1/2 and it dropped with a head shot followed by 'f.... you got it', more luck than judgement me thinks ?

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

Good effort there and just reward well done. 

I have a shooting mate just like that. ? Close ones are often the hardest. If you get them it's a no brainer easy shot and if you miss you pay for it for the next month at least. I had one come in to 20 m out in the open and ma clear miss followed by 'YOU MISSED', like i know i missed thats why it's run away. Lucky for me it stopped at 165m. Spotter said hold over 1 and 1/2 and it dropped with a head shot followed by 'f.... you got it', more luck than judgement me thinks ?

:lol: Thats why I go out on my own (apart from being a tool and having no friends)..it avoids being scorned when I miss..lol  

Good work all, seems like the action is picking up now. It’s been pretty quite round here. Went out a week or so ago and only saw two, one of which was distant. I called one in and my bloody scope switched off with the fox at about 60 yards. Turned it off and back on and it fired up with the Fox now at about 40 yards. Just squeezing the trigger when the scope went off again! Que expletives and frantic off and on again to have scope turn on for about 3 seconds and Mr Fox at about 30 yards. It wouldn’t fire up again so had to do a quick battery change. When I got in I realised I had changed the batteries for ones waiting to be charged ?.

Been busy in the garden and had seen a vixen and three cubs appear in a spinney in the fields behind our house. After a fruitless wait I got two of the cubs, which were probably not war off fully grown, on the second evening tucked into a hedge! I had watched one of them hunt and kill a rabbit a few days prior.

Looks like you had a good holiday Grant. I’m off to the Lake District next week but don’t expect to see anything like you’ve encountered!!

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

Good work all, seems like the action is picking up now. It’s been pretty quite round here. Went out a week or so ago and only saw two, one of which was distant. I called one in and my bloody scope switched off with the fox at about 60 yards. Turned it off and back on and it fired up with the Fox now at about 40 yards. Just squeezing the trigger when the scope went off again! Que expletives and frantic off and on again to have scope turn on for about 3 seconds and Mr Fox at about 30 yards. It wouldn’t fire up again so had to do a quick battery change. When I got in I realised I had changed the batteries for ones waiting to be charged ?.

Been busy in the garden and had seen a vixen and three cubs appear in a spinney in the fields behind our house. After a fruitless wait I got two of the cubs, which were probably not war off fully grown, on the second evening tucked into a hedge! I had watched one of them hunt and kill a rabbit a few days prior.

Looks like you had a good holiday Grant. I’m off to the Lake District next week but don’t expect to see anything like you’ve encountered!!

Sounds like and exciting session with your scope mate :lol:

Enjoy your holiday. Let us know if you see any Kudu ...sure there will be a few baboons about :lol::lol:

I’m not sure I’d have used exciting to describe the tomfoolery I displayed! Taking out charged batteries and changing them for discharged ones just before I go out is a schoolboy error at best ?.

Hows the house coming along Mike? Must be nearly finished and ready to open to the public by now?!!

Good to hear you have been getting a few young uns Richard. I only looked the other night to see if you had been on mate. as you had not posted on here for a while. Shame about the scope. We were out friday and took another mate of ours with a drone. He has had a few issues with it. Me and Grant liked the picture but think we will stick with the wards

Have a good holiday Richard. My parents had friends there where we would stay and shoot. just outside of kendal. Lovely part of the country

Cheers Ed. Been stupid busy at work and at home. We’ve bought just over an acre of field behind our house so been planting hedges, putting up chicken fences and making a vegetable plot. On top of it now so after our hols I’ll be back shooting with a vengeance.

We are stopping in Staveley which is just north of Kendal. No shooting I’m afraid but plenty of walking. 

3 hours ago, Strongman said:

I’m not sure I’d have used exciting to describe the tomfoolery I displayed! Taking out charged batteries and changing them for discharged ones just before I go out is a schoolboy error at best ?.

Hows the house coming along Mike? Must be nearly finished and ready to open to the public by now?!!

:lol::lol: I wish the house was even ready for the occupants let alone the public mate. It is getting there slowly which is always the trouble with doing most of the work ourselves. I have just forked out a grand or so for a load of new oak beams to replace the knackered old ones so there will be a couple of days work to get those in. I have a set of steels to go in this weekend and then we should be ready to take the final measurements for the stairs. ... the list kind of goes on from there really. It doesnt help with the place being old stonework which has a tendency to either crumble when you dont want it to or be hard as iron when you want it to crumble. It took me nearly an hour with a disc cutter on Monday to remove enough of one bit of stone to allow the steel to slide into place. The day before I took some boarding away from another section of wall and a shed load of stone fell out of the wall...

Keeps me out of mischief though mate :lol:

Enjoy the hols, cant beat a nice bit of trekking.