Fox club

WelshMike

30 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Thats why I said that the rifle shoots well, not that I shoot well...... 

How was the meeting of the fox club members on the weekend? 

You should know mike I would not miss a easy opportunity like that to take the p

Good day at the show. Would of been better if you had turned up. Met up with strongman. What a top bloke?

Did not buy anything but it was a good day out. Plenty of sites to see there??

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

You should know mike I would not miss a easy opportunity like that to take the p

Good day at the show. Would of been better if you had turned up. Met up with strongman. What a top bloke?

Did not buy anything but it was a good day out. Plenty of sites to see there??

Sounds like you had a good time. Sorry I couldnt make it. I had a day repairing stonework in an old wall...never ending fun :lol:

Was great to meet Strongman Thanks for the presents ?

Managed to bag the Buck I was after the other night ? Its been a good year to date.  Pictures not worth putting up as i only got one in the chiller. 

Out with Bumpy last night and we saw lots of doe's in range and lots of bucks off perm or after dark ?

Onto foxes and we saw 6 or so on a single field. Playing on the dung heap or giving us the run around over the stubble. Managed to bag a couple but had to work hard for them. They did not respond to call and we were distracted by deer, flat battery in the IR lol. Plenty for another night. 

IMG-20180730-WA0002[1].jpg

IMG-20180730-WA0003[1].jpg

19 minutes ago, oowee said:

Was great to meet Strongman Thanks for the presents ?

Managed to bag the Buck I was after the other night ? Its been a good year to date.  Pictures not worth putting up as i only got one in the chiller. 

Out with Bumpy last night and we saw lots of doe's in range and lots of bucks off perm or after dark ?

Onto foxes and we saw 6 or so on a single field. Playing on the dung heap or giving us the run around over the stubble. Managed to bag a couple but had to work hard for them. They did not respond to call and we were distracted by deer, flat battery in the IR lol. Plenty for another night. 

IMG-20180730-WA0002[1].jpg

IMG-20180730-WA0003[1].jpg

Well done gents, plenty more to go at by the sounds of it. Off out with the lamp for me tonight to see what havoc awaits me at the chicken unit. Hopefully I can catch up with a couple as they have been very shy of late. 

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Out and about this morning and had a couple of Roe. Rut should start any day now. I hope so as i saw a few good heads I could not get on. Friday night on the Bucks and then the foxes so fingers crossed.

IMG-20180801-WA0000[1] - Copy.jpg

Great morning bud. Hope Friday night goes as well , haven't had a look out yet in the rut.

2 foxes last night and a roe buck . i shot one fox of the chicken unit which makes 22 now of there since start shooting it a couple of months ago. they are starting to slow down a bit now though. buck was behind a doe lat light but came trotting in with a couple of calls which i let my mate drop. good night with lots of activity. not sure rut is in full swing yet but looking at that buck it could be

13 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

2 foxes last night and a roe buck . i shot one fox of the chicken unit which makes 22 now of there since start shooting it a couple of months ago. they are starting to slow down a bit now though. buck was behind a doe lat light but came trotting in with a couple of calls which i let my mate drop. good night with lots of activity. not sure rut is in full swing yet but looking at that buck it could be

:good:Well done Ed. 

After speaking to a farmer the other day he told me of a grass field he had just cut next to some winnies :) so I couldn't resist a call last night.

Rabbit to start with and nothing showed so switched to cub call which brought a fox in straight away which I shot around 120 yds. A further shine revealed a 2nd fox hung up in winnies so deployed rabbit call which brought it into field but was heading away so switched to rat distress which brought it back up the field. It ended up a yard away from its sibling and was duly despatched:yes:

Tried calling a bit longer but nothing else showed . Told farmer this morning and he told me of another 2 fields he has just got where I have seen fox and roe in the past so will have a look there soon.:shoot:

6Dpb9zq.jpg

Good shooting there FH1 a nice pair for the evening well done. 

More luck than we had. My regular mate is off on one of his endless holidays so i was out with another mate. He to shoot the foxes whilst i called and spotted but first I wanted to try my luck on the bucks.Managed to beg this old boy below. A nice old buck shot at 75m at very last light. Just a basic gralloch and took it to the dealer who paid to take it in tact so that he can use the cape. I will get the head back dressed so a good deal for us both.

Onto foxes and from the high seat called one from the wood to about 70m where he decided to try to climb the nearby tree. Suspecting it to be one of the rare tree climbing foxes of legend past the shot was taken to keep it out of the tree and it ran off never to be seen ???. It happens to the best of us so no comment needed. Looked over a few other places then spotted two which turned out to be three in a field by the farm house. I mouth called the first one in and it was dispatched at about 75m No picture). The second and third were then called to the same spot and one of them will have to wait till next time ?

An interesting night but should have been four rather than one. 

IMG-20180804-WA0000[1].jpg

Popped out for an hour last night and stood in the right place at the right time for this Buck. It's been a good year for deer so far. ?

Managed to get lucky, for me, not them on these two. Those .223 hornady vtec 50g take no prisoners. They went through the chrono at 3150 fps. One at 150m layed up in cover face on. Pleased with that :)

IMG-20180804-WA0005[1].jpeg

050818.jpg

Another cracking night Oowee :good:

Interesting night last night .............................

Ist farm called in a fox but it came in behind me downwind so couldn't get a shot ................I hate the wind:yes:

2nd farm ....shot this dog fox , no calling just spot and shoot around 120yds . On inspection had a deformed ear ....

60jpjik.jpg

LFMZvr6.jpg

Then I got lost for 2 hours , I climbed a fence and thought I was in my boundary field , a huge rape stubble , turns out it was a field over . It was very dark with no lights , roads or features to follow so I wandered aimlessly getting worried that I would have to stay til daylight to get my bearings. I backtracked but still couldn't find my way , so I turned to have the wind in my face and went for the horizon , luckily I ended up on familiar territory :thanks:

I have lamped for the last 30 odd years in remote hills in Scotland etc and never been lost but this was surreal , don't want it to happen again...

Got back to farm and had final call which had this vixen come in to chicken distress call but was skylined with cattle in field behind , eventually coaxed it round with cub call and dropped her at 160 yds :yes:

NP5bjrk.jpg

New field getting cut on Monday so must try there soon ....

A good night there FH1. Your pics are just great. 

I know the feeling re getting lost. I have maps of a new farm and access is behind a house in the middle of knowhere. Last time we went found the 1st track but could not find the field gate off it. Backwards and forwards I thought the neighbour would come out. It's so much harder to orientate at night. Found it in the day and its obvious ?

On 23/07/2018 at 13:33, WelshMike said:

Hi Gents

Had a night out surrounding following the beans being cut, put the call out and the first cub came charging out to be stopped by the .223 had a walk round and shot some rabbits over the lamp then came back to the bean field for anther squeak and a look only to find another fox sitting in the field... again to be stopped by the .223

A good night all round... other than i dropped my call remote in the bean stubble and couldn't find it .. but i went and found it in the morning :good:

All the best 

Terry

IMG_2455.jpg

Nice pair there Terry ? I had at last light yesterday whilst i waited for a deer which did not show. We have had the valleys version of Glastonbury here the last few days and it's certainly moved stuff about. Foxes and deer where you least expect them to be. 

Out tonight and deer in the morning. 

Good going all round by the looks of it :good: Waiting for my replacement sound mod for the NV rifle (hopefully should be sorted this week) and then back out . The problem fox that I need to deal with sees one flick of the torch and its gone. Typically there are a few idiots who drive along the road that cuts through the farm illegally lamping and when they educate the fox it makes life difficult without the NV. 

21 hours ago, oowee said:

Nice pair there Terry ? I had at last light yesterday whilst i waited for a deer which did not show. We have had the valleys version of Glastonbury here the last few days and it's certainly moved stuff about. Foxes and deer where you least expect them to be. 

Out tonight and deer in the morning. 

Cheers Oowee, i was please and so was the land owner to say the least,, good luck on your outing :shoot:

54 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Good going all round by the looks of it :good: Waiting for my replacement sound mod for the NV rifle (hopefully should be sorted this week) and then back out . The problem fox that I need to deal with sees one flick of the torch and its gone. Typically there are a few idiots who drive along the road that cuts through the farm illegally lamping and when they educate the fox it makes life difficult without the NV. 

100% agree i have a fox that a saw the other night on a different farm that has clearly been had a go at .. quickly flicked it with the lamp, switched it off to get in position with rifle back on and it was gone.. definitely educated.. so i will return with the NV :ninja:

33 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Cheers Oowee, i was please and so was the land owner to say the least,, good luck on your outing :shoot:

100% agree i have a fox that a saw the other night on a different farm that has clearly been had a go at .. quickly flicked it with the lamp, switched it off to get in position with rifle back on and it was gone.. definitely educated.. so i will return with the NV :ninja:

I am polite enough to only miss with the NV :lol:

On 04/08/2018 at 16:30, oowee said:

Good shooting there FH1 a nice pair for the evening well done. 

More luck than we had. My regular mate is off on one of his endless holidays so i was out with another mate. He to shoot the foxes whilst i called and spotted but first I wanted to try my luck on the bucks.Managed to beg this old boy below. A nice old buck shot at 75m at very last light. Just a basic gralloch and took it to the dealer who paid to take it in tact so that he can use the cape. I will get the head back dressed so a good deal for us both.

Onto foxes and from the high seat called one from the wood to about 70m where he decided to try to climb the nearby tree. Suspecting it to be one of the rare tree climbing foxes of legend past the shot was taken to keep it out of the tree and it ran off never to be seen ???. It happens to the best of us so no comment needed. Looked over a few other places then spotted two which turned out to be three in a field by the farm house. I mouth called the first one in and it was dispatched at about 75m No picture). The second and third were then called to the same spot and one of them will have to wait till next time ?

An interesting night but should have been four rather than one. 

IMG-20180804-WA0000[1].jpg

:lol: The legendary tree climbing fox lives to fight another day (and climb another Tree). Nice old buck 

Cheers Mike. 

One last night in with the sheep. It was there waiting for me about 2000 an easy shot from the owners garden at about 120m.  A small buck this morning which was a bit lucky as i had been stalking a group of three that I was hoping would contain a buck when I spotted this one at the bottom of a small valley at about 150m. Walked down the hedgeline for the shot. He made it through the hedge line and few a few minutes as i was searching the overgrown ditch I thought I might loose him. When i looked the other side after a good ten minutes of searching he was out in the open :)

IMG-20180806-WA0003[1].jpeg

070818v2.jpg

Edited by oowee

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Cheers Mike. 

One last night in with the sheep. It was there waiting for me about 2000 an easy shot from the owners garden at about 120m.  A small buck this morning which was a bit lucky as i had been stalking a group of three that I was hoping would contain a buck when I spotted this one at the bottom of a small valley at about 150m. Walked down the hedgeline for the shot. He made it through the hedge line and few a few minutes as i was searching the overgrown ditch I thought I might loose him. When i looked the other side after a good ten minutes of searching he was out in the open 

070818v2.jpg

Good going mate , you are certainly getting some sport.

I had a quick look out last onto a new field of permission to do a reccy really. As I stood at the edge of the wood the magpies were going ballistic so I knew Charlie was about. I waited on my sticks but he never showed. I was then deciding where to lay up when I noticed him ambling up the side of the wood :shoot:

EjfTyqG.jpg

18 hours ago, oowee said:

Cheers Mike. 

One last night in with the sheep. It was there waiting for me about 2000 an easy shot from the owners garden at about 120m.  A small buck this morning which was a bit lucky as i had been stalking a group of three that I was hoping would contain a buck when I spotted this one at the bottom of a small valley at about 150m. Walked down the hedgeline for the shot. He made it through the hedge line and few a few minutes as i was searching the overgrown ditch I thought I might loose him. When i looked the other side after a good ten minutes of searching he was out in the open 

070818v2.jpg

Nicely done, OOwee nice looking buck there :good:

Hi all,

i have had a change around in kit (spent more money) Solaris SRX ir torch I bought out performed my Ward Sunnranger by a good margin, especially on tight spot setting - there is no pattern at all in the spot, unlike the ‘waffle’ black / white bars on the Sunnranger. Have also ordered a Gen 3 PVS 14 add on to upgrade from my Cobra unit, at a truly eye watering price! 

Dropped this young vixen on her way towards chicken sheds, first test for Solaris torch.150m and a lovely clean picture, middle of the three power settings was enough.

On hols with my daughters in Lanzarote this week. Looking forward to getting out with the PVS14 when it arrives, hopefully shortly after my return!

49805B41-8819-4954-B0DC-A2D16FC3F0AF.jpeg

Edited by Hammo
Photo

4 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Hi all,

i have had a change around in kit (spent more money) Solaris SRX ir torch I bought out performed my Ward Sunnranger by a good margin, especially on tight spot setting - there is no pattern at all in the spot, unlike the ‘waffle’ black / white bars on the Sunnranger. Have also ordered a Gen 3 PVS 14 add on to upgrade from my Cobra unit, at a truly eye watering price! 

Dropped this young vixen on her way towards chicken sheds, first test for Solaris torch.150m and a lovely clean picture, middle of the three power settings was enough.

On hols with my daughters in Lanzarote this week. Looking forward to getting out with the PVS14 when it arrives, hopefully shortly after my return!

New kit willy :lol: Is that the pvs monocular from Clive? I like the look of that torch might have to try one ? 

Now you will be expected to knock over loads with that set up at least 10 every outing lol