Fox club

WelshMike

Rain stopped play on the river again so back out after Charles last night. Spent the night up on the big hill, some calling but a lot of walking. Only two foxes seen, and no cubs from this year, which was a positive. Dog and vixen shot - once called in, the other just happened to be walking in my direction as I was heading off the hill.

30223815018_24f29fb7f9_c.jpg

43185331885_599b08b761_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, racing snake said:

Rain stopped play on the river again so back out after Charles last night. Spent the night up on the big hill, some calling but a lot of walking. Only two foxes seen, and no cubs from this year, which was a positive. Dog and vixen shot - once called in, the other just happened to be walking in my direction as I was heading off the hill.

30223815018_24f29fb7f9_c.jpg

43185331885_599b08b761_c.jpg

Well done mate , glad to see you out and about. Look forward to many more reports :good:

Disaster last night !!!!

Only spotted the 1 fox and bloody missed it :unhappy:

Lit it up as it was lying down and for some strange reason hesitated with the shot as my brain was telling me it was a roe.

Anyway the fox stood up and started walking , great , a quick squeak which stopped it , crosshairs on shoulder and fire .....only to see fox running off .

To say I was peeved is an understatement , can only think I rushed the shot and pulled it . NOT HAPPY :shout:

Out on Friday with Bumpy and Hammo. Great to meet with another fox club member. It was a bit like a geriatrics night out though. Seems like everyone needed to be back to get there beauty sleep or something like, that so could not be too late. Not sure the sleep is going to make any difference to those two.  :lol:

Managed to coax them around a few places and find a few foxes. Nice to see Hammo's new kit in action ? Good for way beyond anywhere I would be able to shoot. 

A fox in and out of the maize was keeping us busy for a while when another surprised us from further down the field. Managed to bag 4 foxes none of which were in the places we expected, so a good night all in.

fri 19.png

Edited by oowee
edit picture

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Out on Friday with Bumpy and Hammo. Great to meet with another fox club member. It was a bit like a geriatrics night out though. Seems like everyone needed to be back to get there beauty sleep or something like, that so could not be too late. Not sure the sleep is going to make any difference to those two.  :lol:

Managed to coax them around a few places and find a few foxes. Nice to see Hammo's new kit in action ? Good for way beyond anywhere I would be able to shoot. 

A fox in and out of the maize was keeping us busy for a while when another surprised us from further down the field. Managed to bag 4 foxes none of which were in the places we expected, so a good night all in.

fri 19.png

Hi All,

Really great to meet Grant and Ed Friday night! my first contact with members from the Forum; it was an absolute pleasure. Met up early with Grant, and we had a good chat and a brew at his place. Ed joined us soon after and bought my Sunnranger Ruby torch, the final bit of kit I have sold off to try and offset the mammoth cost of my new pvs14.  Later we set off, and after me getting stuck behind a couple of slow movers, we finally RV'd and hit the first of Grants extensive portfolio of perms...

We ended up scanning several fields, and had a fair bit of action with most of what we saw decked; apart from an embarrassing close range miss by me! :whistling:                                    It was good for me to see how Grant and Ed worked together, and the time flew by. I had to make my excuses and leave, I had done a 12 hour nightshift Thursday and little sleep Friday daytime - unfortunate some of us have to graft for a living, eh Grant? ?                Ed scampered off home too, with Grant planning to crack on with a few more fields flying solo.

I will see Grant again, as Im going to get rid of his Moles for him. Popped out for a v early morning walk about a few of my bits and bobs, before dawn this morning, but absolutely nowt about. Had a further fine tune of the mount on my Solaris SRX torch, and got the beam dead centre with the crosshairs :good:  Also had a good fiddle and adjust further away with the nv, and can get a very clear image at much greater distances than I would be prepared to shoot at night, thats for sure.

Thanks again Grant and Ed.img_107.jpg.9178dd96b49fc2684d182712a9a39e42.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Hi All,

Really great to meet Grant and Ed Friday night! my first contact with members from the Forum; it was an absolute pleasure. Met up early with Grant, and we had a good chat and a brew at his place. Ed joined us soon after and bought my Sunnranger Ruby torch, the final bit of kit I have sold off to try and offset the mammoth cost of my new pvs14.  Later we set off, and after me getting stuck behind a couple of slow movers, we finally RV'd and hit the first of Grants extensive portfolio of perms...

We ended up scanning several fields, and had a fair bit of action with most of what we saw decked; apart from an embarrassing close range miss by me! :whistling:                                    It was good for me to see how Grant and Ed worked together, and the time flew by. I had to make my excuses and leave, I had done a 12 hour nightshift Thursday and little sleep Friday daytime - unfortunate some of us have to graft for a living, eh Grant? ?                Ed scampered off home too, with Grant planning to crack on with a few more fields flying solo.

I will see Grant again, as Im going to get rid of his Moles for him. Popped out for a v early morning walk about a few of my bits and bobs, before dawn this morning, but absolutely nowt about. Had a further fine tune of the mount on my Solaris SRX torch, and got the beam dead centre with the crosshairs :good:  Also had a good fiddle and adjust further away with the nv, and can get a very clear image at much greater distances than I would be prepared to shoot at night, thats for sure.

Thanks again Grant and Ed.img_107.jpg.9178dd96b49fc2684d182712a9a39e42.jpg

That looks like a good looking chap with that fox

4 hours ago, oowee said:

fri 19.png

Great stuff lads , 4 is a good result , I am seeing very little at present.

I did manage to redeem myself last night though after my miss on Friday night ...

Called in a huge rape stubble that has been ploughed back in ....fox appeared to my left but skylined :unhappy:

Tried coaxing it in closer but wasn't having it , I then scanned out in front and another was coming in nice , when in range I lit it up but it scarpered ...

Tried sneaking up on it and spotted the 1st fox in a safe position this time , dropped it at 190 so chuffed with that :yes:

08R7SV9.jpg

Well done Mark, good short!

Back out again last night, just calling at a couple of smaller permissions to see what's about. One thing I have noticed in the three trips I've done since getting back this summer - badger numbers! Has anyone else noticed, they're everywhere! Don't know if it was a particularly good breeding year for them. I always see good numbers of them but this year it just seems bonkers. On the two small permissions I went to last night I counted 8 on one and 7 on another.

First permission brought two foxes in to the caller in relatively quick succession, then nothing much about after that. Was eager to get over and check the other place so didn't spend a long time there. Second permission just brought one to the hand call.

44105510612_897025abf0_c.jpg

42345323830_11b528e9d2_c.jpg

Last night I decided to pop out with the .17 HMR to bag a few bunnies instead of chasing foxes about.

The weather was rubbish , very still and a bit misty . Not many rabbits about at all but managed a few.

Typical I saw 4 foxes when I didn't have the .243 with me :unhappy: but I did manage to hand call this cub into 50 yds , the .17 dropping it on the spot..

OWou3xu.jpg

Another cub last night same area as one the other night. I knew shot was good but trying to find it was a nightmare , I spent 20 mins searching without success. Beginning to think it had dragged itself off ...

Then luckily I spotted it 6ft off the ground on top of a huge mound of gorse the farmer had cleared :yes:

15wkeIf.jpg

SQu3RJf.jpg

Good stuff lads, good to see the numbers are steadily increasing now.

I ventured out on Monday night and only saw a couple in the distance that weren't hanging about either. A very quiet night all told.

Went out to another permission last night as the farmer had said his dogs had been barking at something for the last couple of nights. Decided to go 'old school' with the lamp as I was banking on juveniles that hadn't been lit up before.

The first hour and a half was quiet and all I saw was one fox I bumped in long grass! Just before midnight I spotted a fox on a low ridge. Got set up on the sticks, gave him a squeak and in he came, straight down the beam. Easy shot at about 40 yards. A dog that looked like one of this years, lovely condition.

IMG_0237.JPG.d715e190455952e251c88dceb2d25d9c.JPG

20 minutes later I lit up another a long way off in a stubble field. Couldn't get closer as I didn't want to spook him as I got over the fence. Give him a few blows on the Wam and he looked straight at me and started my way. I lost him in some dead ground for a while but he appeared to my right at about 150 yards. He cautiously came a little closer but then stopped and sat looking at me. Thinking the game was up he moved again to give a good backstop but still at a good distance. I took the shot and dropped him at what turned out to be 130 yards. Another young dog fox a little bigger than the first.

IMG_0239.JPG.fea5b724336a1b2c560f97bd4a5f59ce.JPG

After that it started to rain and I saw nothing else other than hares and sheep! Good to grass a couple after a bit of a drought though.

1 hour ago, Strongman said:

Good stuff lads, good to see the numbers are steadily increasing now.

I ventured out on Monday night and only saw a couple in the distance that weren't hanging about either. A very quiet night all told.

Went out to another permission last night as the farmer had said his dogs had been barking at something for the last couple of nights. Decided to go 'old school' with the lamp as I was banking on juveniles that hadn't been lit up before.

The first hour and a half was quiet and all I saw was one fox I bumped in long grass! Just before midnight I spotted a fox on a low ridge. Got set up on the sticks, gave him a squeak and in he came, straight down the beam. Easy shot at about 40 yards. A dog that looked like one of this years, lovely condition.

IMG_0237.JPG.d715e190455952e251c88dceb2d25d9c.JPG

20 minutes later I lit up another a long way off in a stubble field. Couldn't get closer as I didn't want to spook him as I got over the fence. Give him a few blows on the Wam and he looked straight at me and started my way. I lost him in some dead ground for a while but he appeared to my right at about 150 yards. He cautiously came a little closer but then stopped and sat looking at me. Thinking the game was up he moved again to give a good backstop but still at a good distance. I took the shot and dropped him at what turned out to be 130 yards. Another young dog fox a little bigger than the first.

IMG_0239.JPG.fea5b724336a1b2c560f97bd4a5f59ce.JPG

After that it started to rain and I saw nothing else other than hares and sheep! Good to grass a couple after a bit of a drought though.

Top work?

22 hours ago, Bumble said:

Some from the last few days. Got a new bit of ground which is crawling with them! 

9DCBC5CB-3B63-4C7F-BB10-F3EC9099DE04.jpeg

Good work mate. The full moon last night was a pain , consequently drew a blank.

Good luck tonight OOwee , I might give it a miss tonight and have a wander with shotty before dark.