Fox club

WelshMike

10 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Ok Bumpy , I just cant afford THERMAL unfortunately , also we do not have the density of foxes that you do down South.

I also did not get out as much as last year due to the lack of foxes, I still know where there are a few but they are tricky ones , Think I will have to concentrate on a few areas that are not the best but good for the odd one ....

Your right of course and it is a load of money for what is a hobby. It might make it more certain but it does not necessarily make it more enjoyable.

There is something magical using a lamp and turning the set of eyes you have spotted into a fox. Also i think there is more anticipation with a lamp. There could be something and that maybe enhances field craft? Don't know what you guys think? 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still love my lamping , nothing better than lighting up those ruby eyes. I don't get them all especially at this time of year but then again I wouldn't want to .

Love it at the end of the season when there are still foxes left as they are my future sport :yes:

February through to May keeps me busy with the roe and of course the odd fox still enters the bag...

21 hours ago, racing snake said:

Couldn't let Boxing day go by without popping out for a couple of hours. Dog fox into the caller after an hour.

45754679984_23ea40bea6_c.jpg

good work stu:good:was going to go out tonight after plastering kitchen all day until the fog came down:mad:. loaded some more bullets will try tomorrow night as farmer is putting all turkey guts out for me:yes::lol:

Top job again Stu. Hope you’ve had a good Christmas mate.  I’ve not been out for a while now as I seem to be visiting every man and his dog this Christmas! I’ll be out next week though.

Hooe you have a safe trip back Grant. Looks like Ed has done a good job holding the fort while you’ve been away! 

Thanks Grant, Ed, Rich. Christmas was good thank you. Hope yours all went well also.

Getting back into the swing of things now. A fortunate vixen (for me, not for her) tonight. Was shooting some rats around the yard and as I normally do I had the occasional scan of the fields with the thermal. Spotted this vixen sat watching me up the field about 60 yards away. Van was in touching distance so quickly swapped guns over and she's still sat there watching. Last mistake.

45769237274_13bc8ae248_c.jpg

18 hours ago, racing snake said:

Thanks Grant, Ed, Rich. Christmas was good thank you. Hope yours all went well also.

Getting back into the swing of things now. A fortunate vixen (for me, not for her) tonight. Was shooting some rats around the yard and as I normally do I had the occasional scan of the fields with the thermal. Spotted this vixen sat watching me up the field about 60 yards away. Van was in touching distance so quickly swapped guns over and she's still sat there watching. Last mistake.

45769237274_13bc8ae248_c.jpg

Nice bonus :good:

Following on from the two I had last week, we’ve now been told by the farmer who owns the land they were on (300 acres directly adjacent to the main 1800 acre farm that I shoot over) that he doesn’t want us back until lambing in March. 

The reason? He’s got a couple of lads who drive from an hour away to also shoot on there (we always checked with him first if they were going to be on). They’ve got all the thermal gear & no idea, but happen to pay the farmer for the privilege (who the hell pays to shoot foxes?!). They’ve found out how many charlies we’ve had off there with just a lamp, rifle & mouth call, and have kicked off big-style. If they were any use in the first place there wouldn’t be so many left for me to shoot!

Mr Farmer can go shove his lambing up his backside too. 

1 minute ago, Bumble said:

Following on from the two I had last week, we’ve now been told by the farmer who owns the land they were on (300 acres directly adjacent to the main 1800 acre farm that I shoot over) that he doesn’t want us back until lambing in March. 

The reason? He’s got a couple of lads who drive from an hour away to also shoot on there (we always checked with him first if they were going to be on). They’ve got all the thermal gear & no idea, but happen to pay the farmer for the privilege (who the hell pays to shoot foxes?!). They’ve found out how many charlies we’ve had off there with just a lamp, rifle & mouth call, and have kicked off big-style. If they were any use in the first place there wouldn’t be so many left for me to shoot!

They must be mad paying to shoot foxes. I charge to shoot foxes.

3 hours ago, Bumble said:

Tell him to shove it.

Happy new year chaps.

I finally got out last night after Christmas visiting, moon etc! Had a cup of tea with the farmer so didn’t get going until about 11.30. It was still but dark and there was a nip in the air. I took in the neighbors farm first which usually yields a fox or two but saw nothing out. Had a couple of stands with the caller out but nothing doing. Finally headed to the first farm about 2 feeling a bit puzzled at seeing nothing. First two fields yielded nothing so headed to the duck pond as I had heard them making a racket when I was over the other side of the valley. First look with thermal showed nothing so I moved on. I had only gone about 100 yards when the ducks were making an awful noise. Scan with the thermal reveals a fox looking at the pond, don’t know where he appeared from! Stalked back and dropped him at about 70yards, large dog. 

E1AEED03-E17F-4E78-894A-E9DA7D27DC38.jpeg.b45e2ec3c7722b8ff8e9404b322a1d31.jpeg

Saw nothing else but pleased I’m off the mark. Heard a couple of vixens calling so will get out on the hill later this week. Got home at about 4. Glad I’m not at work today!

Happy New Year gents. When I get 5 mins I ll download some pics and try and remember what I shot and where :lol:

Mansion is looking great...I am going for a cave theme...no plaster...oh and we discovered a load of rotten timbers in the roof so that needs to come off in the next 6 weeks....have to love being landed gentry :lol:

Managed a few trips out over the last couple of weeks. A good bit of pairing up, calling and foxes chasing one another round has been witnessed. Shot another vixen on one of my fields but didnt get a pic of her. I have shot 13 on 28 acres this year and havent made much of an effort really...unreal. 

QGYi9Yk.jpg

Dtyriwc.jpg

amoDpQJ.jpg

All 4 of the above were shot on 1 farm over 2 nights. All came in really well to the caller with vixen, dog and gekkering playing and presented sensible sub 100 yard shots so nice and easy. 

I had another go on new years eve and just as I was getting to where a dog was calling...the words biggest firework was let off in the village half mile away...lit up the area, deafened me and scared off all the wildlife lol...off home. Still seem to be a few to be going at. Total for 2018 was not great ...not been that organised with the count but reckon somewhere in the low to mid 40s. Not bad since some of the fox club members thought I had retired :lol:

Nice work Richard, Mike - as always. Good to hear you're managing to get out with the house on the go. Unlucky with those two Mark, but at least you know they're about.

Didn't manage to get out New Year's night as planned but did manage it tonight. Only saw 2 foxes, one vixen I just happened upon as she was working her way down a field, and the second a decent sized dog which came to the call.

45663549405_3de3f2eb68_c.jpg

31636729147_0fb43545c0_c.jpg

10 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice work Richard, Mike - as always. Good to hear you're managing to get out with the house on the go. Unlucky with those two Mark, but at least you know they're about.

Didn't manage to get out New Year's night as planned but did manage it tonight. Only saw 2 foxes, one vixen I just happened upon as she was working her way down a field, and the second a decent sized dog which came to the call.

45663549405_3de3f2eb68_c.jpg

31636729147_0fb43545c0_c.jpg

Tidy job as always buddy. Are you fully fighting fit again? 

16 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Some nice healthy looking foxes there Mike :good:

I was out last night , called 2 but once again no shot , only ones left are all shy.

Good luck with the mansion , will it be finished this year ?

Cheers Mark. I am not surprised that they are shy when you are about mate...the ones that arent are all dead bud :lol:

Mansion wise....i bloody hope it will be finished as I am to skinny to have many more days without heating. 

Nice work Stu and Mike. Good to see a few getting grassed before lambing. 

Did you mop up the cubs this year then Mark as it would appear that you’ve only got wise old ones about? There should be an influx soon with the pairing up happening.

Will the grand opening of the mansion be a good point to hold a Foxclub get together Mike? We could do some target shooting in the vast grounds too! This then will give you an incentive to get it finished at long last 😀