WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Strongman said:

Some good work going on round the country by the looks of the reports. Unfortunately not by me tonight. Had been hearing foxes on a permission behind where I live so decided on a plan to tackle them tonight. Set up caller and retreated to a corner with a high hedge. About 20 minutes later first fox arrives but is quite standoffish and only came to about 80 yards. Gave him a squeak to stop him, to which he turned and headed off. He stopped at about 110 yards so I steadied and took the shot, duly missing! 😞

Called for a bit longer but nothing else. Moved onto my second stand and setup. After about 25 minutes a fox comes charging in to the call. Gave him a shout to stop him at about 40 yards. Took the shot and off he ran. Sounded like a good strike but could not find him anywhere. Not satisfied with possibly of my scope perhaps being knocked I headed home really pi$$ed off!! Feel like a member of billy smarts shooting circus 🙄. Some serious zero checking on Sunday me thinks. 

Oh dear.......happens to the best of us. 

6 hours ago, dazb1967 said:

Another 2 tonight, there was another 2 that I couldn't get a shot at so I'll have a look back out in a couple days for them, All came in to the caller again. 

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Well done mate :good: Did they come in to the vixen call? 

29 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Oh dear.......happens to the best of us. 

Well done mate :good: Did they come in to the vixen call? 

There all coming into Pheasant distress calls, The 2 lots of land I shoot on are quite big pheasant shoots so I'm sure if that has anything to do with the fact they are coming in to pheasant calls. 

3 hours ago, dazb1967 said:

There all coming into Pheasant distress calls, The 2 lots of land I shoot on are quite big pheasant shoots so I'm sure if that has anything to do with the fact they are coming in to pheasant calls. 

Cheers mate. Always interesting to know what calls other are using. 

Looks like the birthday fairy is bringing me a thermal spotter...hopefully :good:

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

Cheers mate. Always interesting to know what calls other are using. 

Looks like the birthday fairy is bringing me a thermal spotter...hopefully :good:

They're great, I'm using all thermal now, spotter and scope, I very rarely even switch a light or torch on now even when walking about. 

Sounds like a few people are having success with various rat calls

39 minutes ago, dazb1967 said:

They're great, I'm using all thermal now, spotter and scope, I very rarely even switch a light or torch on now even when walking about. 

Sounds like a few people are having success with various rat calls

Its Racingsnakes fault, I went and saw his (no pun intended :lol:) and that sealed the deal. 

Fox calling is a funny old lark. I have had foxes come in from 600 yards + pretty quick to the vixen call and other ignore it, some come in to distress calls and some run away. Keeps it exciting. 

2 on thursday night a good size dog fox that came in to pheasant distress at pace. had played vixen call for 10 minutes with no response then switched to pheasant distress and instant success. vixen was not interested in anything so had to shoot her at distance. all shot off moorland sheep land

4 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

2 on thursday night a good size dog fox that came in to pheasant distress at pace. had played vixen call for 10 minutes with no response then switched to pheasant distress and instant success. vixen was not interested in anything so had to shoot her at distance. all shot off moorland sheep land

Nice one .....if they are not interested in mating then there belly usually gives them up I have always found :yes:

On 20/01/2019 at 10:27, bumpy22 said:

well done mate. 

Cant get out at the mo due to my poxy hand. Caught it on Sat and opened the wound which "leaked" a bit...Stitches out wed then a few more days and hopefully Im good to go. Hoping that the pressie fairy is coming soon :lol:

On 21/01/2019 at 11:16, WelshMike said:

well done mate. 

Cant get out at the mo due to my poxy hand. Caught it on Sat and opened the wound which "leaked" a bit...Stitches out wed then a few more days and hopefully Im good to go. Hoping that the pressie fairy is coming soon 

I bet your excited. We had another last night of the chicken unit. After spending most of the night watching roe deer on my permissions ( need to get on them now season is nearly finished) we headed over to both sites and the final one produced a small dog trotting in to my bait station. Plenty to go at just not enough time lol

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

I bet your excited. We had another last night of the chicken unit. After spending most of the night watching roe deer on my permissions ( need to get on them now season is nearly finished) we headed over to both sites and the final one produced a small dog trotting in to my bait station. Plenty to go at just not enough time lol

Tidy job as usual mate. 

I am looking forward to the new kit but timing isnt good as always. Scaffolding goes up in 2 weeks then we need to crack on an get the house roof sorted....should have bought a new bungalow somewhere :lol:

Get those Roe sorted mate :good:

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

There's never enough time mate.

I too will be starting on the does once the pheasant season is over .....Feb and March then onto the bucks ...busy busy.

so true mate. i think i was pushing it joining a small syndicate this year. i have too much other shooting commitments 

After my nightmare last week I had a zeroing session on Sunday. My scope had indeed been knocked and I was 4” high and left!

With that all sorted I was out Tuesday night with a vengeance. I was met with near daylight! 

First stand and vixen call produced nothing. Switched to beercan call and a fox burst out of the hedge I was next to only 30 feet away! Dropped him at about 60 yards when he finally stopped!

Saw two more in the distance on the way to my next stand but with the bright moon they soon scarpered. Set the caller on the beercan call and had a fox racing across the field in seconds, catching me completely unprepared. Got him in the scope as he was looking puzzled at the caller I hadn’t muted in the melee! He was oss again before I could get a shot off. He skirted the wood above me but disappeared after 20 minutes or so. 

Third and  stand, as I was freezing by now, had foxes calling from all directions to the vixen call but nothing showing. After about 30 minutes one appeared about 250 yards on the edge of a wood. After careful coaxing he started to come. Switched to the NV only to find he has raced in and is sniffing the caller, probably picked up scent of the vixen I had earlier! He started to move off but stopped and I took him at about 40 yards. Large dog fox. 

16 hours ago, Strongman said:

After my nightmare last week I had a zeroing session on Sunday. My scope had indeed been knocked and I was 4” high and left!

With that all sorted I was out Tuesday night with a vengeance. I was met with near daylight! 

First stand and vixen call produced nothing. Switched to beercan call and a fox burst out of the hedge I was next to only 30 feet away! Dropped him at about 60 yards when he finally stopped!

Saw two more in the distance on the way to my next stand but with the bright moon they soon scarpered. Set the caller on the beercan call and had a fox racing across the field in seconds, catching me completely unprepared. Got him in the scope as he was looking puzzled at the caller I hadn’t muted in the melee! He was oss again before I could get a shot off. He skirted the wood above me but disappeared after 20 minutes or so. 

Third and  stand, as I was freezing by now, had foxes calling from all directions to the vixen call but nothing showing. After about 30 minutes one appeared about 250 yards on the edge of a wood. After careful coaxing he started to come. Switched to the NV only to find he has raced in and is sniffing the caller, probably picked up scent of the vixen I had earlier! He started to move off but stopped and I took him at about 40 yards. Large dog fox. 

Sounds like a fun and productive night mate, nicely done. I am interested as to what a beercan call is, I dont think I have ever had beer or cider cans call out before :lol: but you boys are a different breed to us feral cave dwellers :lol:

Pheasant shells on the bait post had disappeared the other night despite being tied on and me checking periodically. 

Last night top field a long way out there is a fox mooching about. I am on a good rest on the kitchen window sill and it's stopped facing me. I give a mildot holdover its head and squeeze. I take the shot but it's disappeared (probably into the hedge behind). 

An hour later its back bottom left corner of top field and I play the field caller. It trots off into the hedge on the left. Twenty mins later it comes from the bottom of my field and stops at 140 yds. Its a bit far left and though I can get on him with the rifle the IR is screened by the window on my right. I cannot move further left for fear of hitting the window. Its a fairly bright and night the drone shows the fox so I take the shot and its down. 

Next morning I collect the fox and notice Ravens on the next field. Out with the Bino's and first fox is down too 🙂 Head shot at 340 yds. 👍

two field.jpg

340 fox.jpg

Good shooting that Grant. Which is your 'dead tree' which is adorned with various carcasses?!! My bait station is 100 yards from my rest / top of our oil tank! Unfortunately we don't have a window that opens enough to give me a shot from the comfort of the house! Make note of that Mike, window to allow a shot onto the hunting estate!!

You've not heard a beercan call then Mike! If you let me know your email address I will send it over to you.

While we are on the subject of calls, has anyone got a gekkering call I could pinch please? I am hearing a lot of dog foxes round our way and wanted to try something different.

Thanks Walshie 👍

Out last night and it was foxes everywhere. First random field we dropped in on the way to the farm. Spotted one but it did not want to play. Wind was not great and it was in and out of cover so left it.

1st farm and spot one as we drive along the road. Cant get a shot and have to pull over. I get out and its very close. I rest on the roof but can't see over the hedge. I lift the rifle and it walks towards me about 20 yards out and i let one off. Knock it over but it's off and drops about 150 yards out. Bumpy is over the gate with the rifle and he drops it at 80 yds freehand. Another now from behind but its got the wind and wont come over. Bumpy is still trying to find the one we have just shot. I jump over the gate with the sticks and there is another coming from the left. but that scarpers as I climb the gate. We eventually find the first. 

Back to the truck and at the next junction we set up in the field corner. Pheasant distress has one running in from maybe 600 yds or so. It's now down to 50 yards and it's stopped just at the point the drone batteries give out 😂. Back to the car for a quick change and back to the corner. Fox has crossed the road and now in the other field. Its laid up about 50 yards out so one in the mush sorts that. 

Next 2 farms zero, so onto the last and getting out of the car to the edge of the yard there is one at 50 yds. A quick squeek and its running in like a demon. It skids to a halt at 20 yards and a rather dodgy shot (I was clear) through a circular hay feeder sees it on the ground. 

Over the gate and we have two more coming from behind. We spin round and one spots us so makes its way around our position. Bumpy is on it pivoting the sticks on one leg, like a pro, as he follows it right to left. Now behind the sheep fence in dead ground trying to find a way to come up to us as we call it. It's stopped looking for a way through and bumpy threads one through the fence, bang on the money.

I really don't want to count this year but Bumpy says it's interesting lol. So 23 this month is a good start and we still hav days to go. 

IMG-20190125-WA0004[1].jpg

IMG-20190125-WA0005[1].jpg

IMG-20190126-WA0000[1].jpg

IMG-20190126-WA0001[1].jpg

Sounds like a good night of shooting. Top work once again chaps  

Ive just got back from the rough shoot I help run and I shot a fox as it came out of a small spinney. It was a really maingy thing so not photo worthy. It had been seen round the farm recently, accounting for a cat and some chickens by all accounts! 

340 yds is a cracking shot Grant bet you were well chuffed with that. You did that mangey one a favour too.

I received a call yesterday from a farmer telling me that a fox was shouting in his back field every night so I said I would take a look last night.

On arriving at the said location the fox was in the field , I lip squeaked it in perfect , but bloody missed an easy shot :mad: I think it was a case of its in the bag so fluffed it ...

Anyway walking back with my lip tripping me up I spotted another fox , this time concentrated and put him to bed :yahoo:

Aj3cx3m.jpg

Cracking job gents :good:

On 25/01/2019 at 14:42, Strongman said:

Good shooting that Grant. Which is your 'dead tree' which is adorned with various carcasses?!! My bait station is 100 yards from my rest / top of our oil tank! Unfortunately we don't have a window that opens enough to give me a shot from the comfort of the house! Make note of that Mike, window to allow a shot onto the hunting estate!!

You've not heard a beercan call then Mike! If you let me know your email address I will send it over to you.

While we are on the subject of calls, has anyone got a gekkering call I could pinch please? I am hearing a lot of dog foxes round our way and wanted to try something different.

Cheers bud. I will try and dig out the gekkering call but not sure where half the stuff in the house is so no promises :lol:

Received a call yesterday morning from the shoot captain of a small pheasant shoot. Whilst shooting on Saturday they flushed 3 foxes , 1 was shot and 2 escaped .

Could I have a look over and sort them , so last night I duly obliged.

Vixen mating call brought in this heavily pregnant vixen but she hung up where it wasn't safe to shoot :mad: I had to move around 500 yds to a suitable shooting position and was amazed that she was still there , she ran off to the bottom hedge and stopped for a look back and was duly grassed :yes:

Shoot captain was chuffed as the other one they shot on Saturday was a vixen too .....

On a bit of a roll at the minute seeing as I struggled a bit last year .....hope it continues :yes:

KiWeDLT.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER1