Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Few weeks ago I watched a flock of alpacas with the thermal when a fox came in the field and they just stood and stared at it as it walked through the flock

The fox working the field the alpacas moved off into the valley, the fox hunted back my way and walked into a 222 pill, I left it on the field for half an hour waiting for another to appear.

The alpacas come back and can only describe it as stomping, they for some reason took offence at it this time around and took to it.

Very strange animals alpacas

Patrol

It didn't show up but I got it Monday morning at 2.30am. All clear Monday night no dead geese. Wednesday morning dead goose in the same pen I was sure I had only seen 4 cubs so sat out last night at 1.55 spotted a pair of eyes at the other end of the field it slowly made its way up the field going through 7 pens of geese without touching any until I shot it at 40 yards. It was a very small dog with a damaged back foot. Back in bed by 3am good result. I've now shot 9 foxes in one 100 x 100 yard pen on a 30 acre field filled with 20,000 geese.

Well done mate :good:

I made it out again last night to dairy farm which cut the silage about a week ago so most of the ground is clear. Arrived about 10.50 just as it was getting dark and headed into the first field. Flash of eyes so over to the NV and onto the sticks, quick squeak saw the fox come streaking in so I suspected it was a daft cub. At about 30 yards I gave it a quick shout to stop it and sent the 56 grain bullet into the side of its chest, no 1 down. Thought i would give another squeak and see if any more cubs were about. Sure enough number 2 came hurtling in but stopped about 70 yards which was a bit more sensible, no 2 down. I got a shock to find number 1 was a big dog fox and no 2 was a mature vixen. 2 foxes down within 2 minutes...though the next 2 hours yielded no further sightings.

Dog%20amp%20vixen%2014.07.16_zpsctxy2pkh

Mike/ Bornfree

Nice result around

I had a dog fox the other night two handed jobby to lift it, really really good condition and weighed like a ballast tank.

May not have seen so many Cubs yet but the adults are in good nick

Patrol

Mike/ Bornfree

Nice result around

I had a dog fox the other night two handed jobby to lift it, really really good condition and weighed like a ballast tank.

May not have seen so many Cubs yet but the adults are in good nick

Patrol

Sounds like a big old boy. All the foxes I have shot of late have been in fantastic nick and some big old cubs as well. I shot one cub out of 3 recently that was adult size...i had to check teeth to confirm it was a cub. I am hoping I can catch up with some of the adults now the cubs are dealt with but need to have a couple of early mornings on the crows so this gets in the way of late nights after foxes. The joys of balancing work, life and shooting.

Is it just me getting the proverbial salute from Charles Reynard (aka CR) ??? On a regular basis

Out rabbiting tonight, gathered up quite a few with the WMR, around 11:30 gets the 222 out to have a look see for a fox as hadn't seen one all night, stalked around with the thermal " bingo" there it is 400 long yards away worming and mousing the paddock three paddocks away working way towards me. Breeze in my favour perfect

Into stealth mode edging along to within 200 yds perfect thinks I, foxes on this bit don't do lamps or fox calls they off like a shot full tilt and don't stop to look back, so it's a proper on the ground stalk in

Then it starts to go down hill, there are 3 fences between me and CR at this point, he's working to and fro the patchy hedge fence line until he scrapes under the fence into the final paddock closest to me.

Game on 120 yds away, CR then sticks to the hedge line like glue, the chap I had with me then stood on a twig that went off like a firecracker

CR promptly sat down and stared straight at us waiting for a excuse to bolt for a full ten minutes, in the end he or her lifted its backside and promptly had a slooooow evening stroll back the way he come from behind 3 fences and hedgerows not once showing a clear shot only a Texas heart shot through all the fencing and hedge,.the salute. Lol

The stalk in, amazingly 1hr 20 mins from start to finish, brilliant night and an appointment made for the week after next - same place same time. Lol

Perhaps a couple of high seats as well to get above the fences and hedges, I feel a plan coming on. 😎

Patrol

Edited by Patrol

Cracking idea in my eyes. I'm waiting to get a .22mag then hopefully the fox's will play ball!

I've just bought a .22 WMR, which i will use on foxes, although i will only use it in areas where my .223 Rem is not suitable. I prefer to hit them with something harder than the .22 WMR, hence the .223.

just leaving to go to a smallholding with some cutgrass. they lost a goose in the week so i am in demand :yes: just need a apprentice to carry the rifle :lol:

Who are you calling an apprentice you young whippersnapper, Only reason you called me out is because you're scared of the dark :)

Is it just me getting the proverbial salute from Charles Reynard (aka CR) ??? On a regular basis

Out rabbiting tonight, gathered up quite a few with the WMR, around 11:30 gets the 222 out to have a look see for a fox as hadn't seen one all night, stalked around with the thermal " bingo" there it is 400 long yards away worming and mousing the paddock three paddocks away working way towards me. Breeze in my favour perfect

Into stealth mode edging along to within 200 yds perfect thinks I, foxes on this bit don't do lamps or fox calls they off like a shot full tilt and don't stop to look back, so it's a proper on the ground stalk in

Then it starts to go down hill, there are 3 fences between me and CR at this point, he's working to and fro the patchy hedge fence line until he scrapes under the fence into the final paddock closest to me.

Game on 120 yds away, CR then sticks to the hedge line like glue, the chap I had with me then stood on a twig that went off like a firecracker

CR promptly sat down and stared straight at us waiting for a excuse to bolt for a full ten minutes, in the end he or her lifted its backside and promptly had a slooooow evening stroll back the way he come from behind 3 fences and hedgerows not once showing a clear shot only a Texas heart shot through all the fencing and hedge,.the salute. Lol

The stalk in, amazingly 1hr 20 mins from start to finish, brilliant night and an appointment made for the week after next - same place same time. Lol

Perhaps a couple of high seats as well to get above the fences and hedges, I feel a plan coming on.

Patrol

Nothing worse then that situation. I had a vixen sit 100 yards away from me the other night on ground I cant shoot on, in clear view screeching her head off at me.....killed three of her kids about 10 minutes later though....she will have to wait for another day.

I think farmers should be banned from using fences and hedges....they are a pain from a shooting point of view :lol:

Cracking dog there. Hopefully out when I get back, tape measure in hand lol.

Dont you start the "mines bigger then yours" debate again :lol::lol::lol:

I think that we have found a new convert to fox shooting in you young man :good:

Perhaps a couple of high seats as well to get above the fences and hedges, I feel a plan coming on. ?

Patrol

this is what i use to shoot over fences

post-24254-0-90156000-1468692930_thumb.jpg

Perhaps a couple of high seats as well to get above the fences and hedges, I feel a plan coming on.

Patrol

Good to see they are not all so easy.

Just got in, had a cracking evening

Out stalking first 2 cull bucks grassed One had really wonky antlers the other one is ( was) fraying a area of willow saplings to death the only two left to get, the others have got the Rut to themselves

Two dog foxes in ze bag after dusk after changing the Blaser over to the 222, cal I've put my n870 on the duce on QD mounts and its shooting a ragged hole, 70 - 80 yards max both shots on the foxes nothing testing but good shot placement dropped on the spot.

Christ it was a tad warm tonight, got rid 2 litres of orange squash before midnight, then promptly sweated it all out yomping across a deep wide valley ( not recommended) out from 10:30 with the thermal , first off see a fox laying under a ash tree 450 ish yards laying on its back having a right old snooze, it picked a good spot, couldn't get no nearer than 300 yds from it, watched it for 30 mins it just rolled over slid into some cover and melted away

Cracking night out, I've put the Roe in a new make of mesh tubes that come in a continues roll, really impressed, slip it over and tie off the ends , perfect, my chiller is a 30 min drive from where I was, not a fly touched the Carcases

Patrol

Just got in, had a cracking evening

Out stalking first 2 cull bucks grassed One had really wonky antlers the other one is ( was) fraying a area of willow saplings to death the only two left to get, the others have got the Rut to themselves

Two dog foxes in ze bag after dusk after changing the Blaser over to the 222, cal I've put my n870 on the duce on QD mounts and its shooting a ragged hole, 70 - 80 yards max both shots on the foxes nothing testing but good shot placement dropped on the spot.

Christ it was a tad warm tonight, got rid 2 litres of orange squash before midnight, then promptly sweated it all out yomping across a deep wide valley ( not recommended) out from 10:30 with the thermal , first off see a fox laying under a ash tree 450 ish yards laying on its back having a right old snooze, it picked a good spot, couldn't get no nearer than 300 yds from it, watched it for 30 mins it just rolled over slid into some cover and melted away

Cracking night out, I've put the Roe in a new make of mesh tubes that come in a continues roll, really impressed, slip it over and tie off the ends , perfect, my chiller is a 30 min drive from where I was, not a fly touched the Carcases

Patrol

Good going buddy. It has been a tad warm of late especially for a long walk with heavy kit. I had an early night last night ready to get up about 22.30 and head out...alarm went off, turned off...fell asleep and woke up at 7.00 this morning so not a productive night :lol:

Hi Mike

Got up this morning, intending to do a heap e mails invoices etc - no internet

Out in the garden under a tree with a decent bit of shade and a lemonade - nodded off 2 hours - won't be able to sleep tonight now

Might as well have a run out Tonight

Best not - every rifle needs a clean and a brush up, better get on with it I suppose while the house is empty

Cheers

Patrol