Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a few hours at the new block that joins onto my permission on the big hill last night. Wanted to walk it at night to familiarize myself with the lie of the land. It's a bit more convoluted than the big hill piece; there's some areas that you can't walk through as the cover's too dense, and there's a couple of fields in one corner that I can't shoot on, as someone else owns them, so a good idea to see how everything feels in the dark.

Started off on a lovely section down at the bottom of the permission. Some big elevation changes in really short distances, with a big wood over to one side. Got set up on top of a small hill and ran some calls from the foxpro. Initially there was no sign of a fox. Wasn't too concerned as this was the closest piece to the big hill that I've taken nearly 30 off since August, so reckoned if there was an area that I was least likely to see anything, it was here. Before moving on I thought I'd just give the vixen call a few blasts (getting towards that time of year), and sure enough a vixen comes bounding over one of the hills, thinking she's going to have to see off an intruder on her patch. Stopped her with a squeak about 80 yards away and number one was in the bag.

38492209391_5aa5f84787_c.jpg

After dropping her I got packed up and made my way up the right hand side of the block, about a mile to the top of the section. Nothing much seen on may way up, but wasn't too concerned about that as I kept stopping to check Google Earth on my phone to make sure I was were I thought I was and to drop markers at some nice looking spots. At the top of the permission I found a lovely small valley that looked very promising. Got set up under a nice oak with the caller on a gate about 70 yards in front of me, and about 20 yards below me! (yes, another incredibly steep section. Walked back up the killer incline back to the tree, quick scan with the thermal before starting the caller, and I see a fox over to my right but heading away from me. Quickly gave the beer can call a few discreet blasts but she wasn't interested, with only the occasional glance back. As she made her way further to my right I lost sight of her behind a tree for a few minutes, then she reappears further to the right again. Quickly tried a vixen call, again only a quick glance back, so I got on the drone to judge distance and could see the tell-tale single eye-shine that confirmed she was over 200 yards away by now. Got the cross hair roughly 4-6 inches above her back and gave her one almighty shout to stop her. She stops and looks straight at me, so I let one go. I heard the round strike but couldn't make her out in the scope - back onto the thermal and could see she was laying dead. Later ranged it at 225 yards, so really happy with that shot. Given how far away she was I left her there for now, and after a ten minute break I ran the vixen caller again. Not long passed and I could make out a fox in a field behind a small wood. I was kinda back and forth, unwilling to commit to the call. Watched it for a few minutes, then scanned down to the caller and there's a fox about 6 ft away from the caller looking straight at it! Quickly got the caller muted then onto the scope, she was just starting to move off but a quick squeak stopped her and number three was down.

38460304272_ebf84cab51_c.jpg 

24624919988_c8d582586e_z.jpg

Time was getting on by now, so after picking up and disposing of those two, I got everything into the pack and made my way back down the block to where I'd parked, over at my usual parking place when I do the other piece. Nothing seen as I made my way down, but in the very last field, about 100 yards from the car, I spot another fox mooching about by the river. Gun on the fence, about 60 yards, as easy as they get. Number 4 for the night, all vixens.

38460319032_e64fe087ce_c.jpg

2 hours ago, racing snake said:

Had a few hours at the new block that joins onto my permission on the big hill last night. Wanted to walk it at night to familiarize myself with the lie of the land. It's a bit more convoluted than the big hill piece; there's some areas that you can't walk through as the cover's too dense, and there's a couple of fields in one corner that I can't shoot on, as someone else owns them, so a good idea to see how everything feels in the dark.

Started off on a lovely section down at the bottom of the permission. Some big elevation changes in really short distances, with a big wood over to one side. Got set up on top of a small hill and ran some calls from the foxpro. Initially there was no sign of a fox. Wasn't too concerned as this was the closest piece to the big hill that I've taken nearly 30 off since August, so reckoned if there was an area that I was least likely to see anything, it was here. Before moving on I thought I'd just give the vixen call a few blasts (getting towards that time of year), and sure enough a vixen comes bounding over one of the hills, thinking she's going to have to see off an intruder on her patch. Stopped her with a squeak about 80 yards away and number one was in the bag.

38492209391_5aa5f84787_c.jpg

After dropping her I got packed up and made my way up the right hand side of the block, about a mile to the top of the section. Nothing much seen on may way up, but wasn't too concerned about that as I kept stopping to check Google Earth on my phone to make sure I was were I thought I was and to drop markers at some nice looking spots. At the top of the permission I found a lovely small valley that looked very promising. Got set up under a nice oak with the caller on a gate about 70 yards in front of me, and about 20 yards below me! (yes, another incredibly steep section. Walked back up the killer incline back to the tree, quick scan with the thermal before starting the caller, and I see a fox over to my right but heading away from me. Quickly gave the beer can call a few discreet blasts but she wasn't interested, with only the occasional glance back. As she made her way further to my right I lost sight of her behind a tree for a few minutes, then she reappears further to the right again. Quickly tried a vixen call, again only a quick glance back, so I got on the drone to judge distance and could see the tell-tale single eye-shine that confirmed she was over 200 yards away by now. Got the cross hair roughly 4-6 inches above her back and gave her one almighty shout to stop her. She stops and looks straight at me, so I let one go. I heard the round strike but couldn't make her out in the scope - back onto the thermal and could see she was laying dead. Later ranged it at 225 yards, so really happy with that shot. Given how far away she was I left her there for now, and after a ten minute break I ran the vixen caller again. Not long passed and I could make out a fox in a field behind a small wood. I was kinda back and forth, unwilling to commit to the call. Watched it for a few minutes, then scanned down to the caller and there's a fox about 6 ft away from the caller looking straight at it! Quickly got the caller muted then onto the scope, she was just starting to move off but a quick squeak stopped her and number three was down.

38460304272_ebf84cab51_c.jpg 

24624919988_c8d582586e_z.jpg

Time was getting on by now, so after picking up and disposing of those two, I got everything into the pack and made my way back down the block to where I'd parked, over at my usual parking place when I do the other piece. Nothing seen as I made my way down, but in the very last field, about 100 yards from the car, I spot another fox mooching about by the river. Gun on the fence, about 60 yards, as easy as they get. Number 4 for the night, all vixens.

38460319032_e64fe087ce_c.jpg

top work again mate. we blanked last night covered half of somerset without a shot. but first time we have not managed one for a long time so cant complain too much:unhappy:

Great night out and write up RS :good: a great read.

Cant believe we could see so much last night,  land, badgers, rabbits, deer, owls and almost zero foxes. Can''t believe the mud levels which are off the scale (so glad it was not my truck ;)). Notice no mud in in RS pics ??? and can't imagine using a bipod around here :lol:

Consolation this week has been a couple in the field and my first black rabbit.

20171116_212702_1.jpg

20171112_074612_2.jpg

20171115_220814_1.jpg

13 minutes ago, Daieye said:

Top work RS Whats the beer can call does it work with a strongbow can :lol:

A small Dog fox I had last night :)

20171118_013203.jpg

Cheers Dai. Nice work, looks a chunky fella. Beer can's an MP3 of, what sounds a bit like sucking on a beer can I guess. Difficult to describe, but pretty effective. If you've got a Fox pro or Icotech pm my your email address and I'll fire it over.

Edited by racing snake

went out last night for a few hour mate was at work s  5 am  so started at 6 on 1 st  fields  get a eye shine  on top of hill in next field drive a bit closer and lose i t over hill   so carry on shoot a few   rabbits  go across the road on to the back of the wear we have had  a fox we  just can not get a shoot on  but no sign of this just a few more rabbits with 17  so go back across to the 1 st fields 

drive down and see a pair  eyes on the other side of hedgerow no shot  so drove down hill bit further to a small gap in hedge  picked up 2 lots of eyes  so get out  of truck on bonnet  to see fox trotting off away from at 143 yards shot in back of head took its eye out never seen the second fox back home for 9 30 happys days  was big dog fox 

20171117_195316.jpg

Nice one Babs. :good:

Weather forecast wasn't stellar for tonight, rain moving in 'at some point', but reckoned I could get a couple of hours in before it arrived. Decided not to wander about tonight, but to just go to 3 specific spots and run the caller for a while, then move on. All 3 spots were on the new block. First port of call is where I had the first vixen on Friday night. Got set up in the same place, caller down below me and tried a few 'food' calls. Nothing doing after half an hour so ran the vixen call for a few minutes and shortly after Charlie appears from the exact same direction as the vixen on Friday. Even stopped him at almost the same spot. Picked him up lovely in the drone and watched him drop like a stone in the scope. After 4 vixens on Friday, it transpired tonight would be the night of the dog. Cracking nick, really chunky.

37813581234_a13f5aae95_c.jpg

Next one was a bit of a fluke! Drove about a mile up to the farm at the top and parked in the gateway where I was going to hop over once set up. Got set up and had a quick scan of the field and there's a thermal signature of a fox not 20 yards in front of me on the side of the hedge. Got off the thermal and moved over to the gate, just put the gun on the gate for a closer look and I spot a torch coming up the footpath on my right. First thoughts were "********, that's knackered that". Seconds later a sheepdog runs up to me and starts sniffing around, which made me think was it that I'd just spotted in the field on the thermal? A few seconds later the dog-walker arrives, a quick chat about it being a lovely evening (it wasn't particularly) "blah blah blah", and off she trots with pooch in tow. Was pretty convinced that it was the dog I saw in the thermal, so had a quick scan again and ......charlie's still there in the field! Was really in a tricky spot now, I couldn't get the fox clearly in the scope because some fencing was stealing the light when I was trying to view it in the scope, was just getting eye-shine, plus I was really concerned that the dog walker's torch was still visible flashing back and forth over to my left (but going away from me). Decided to give the fox a couple of squeaks  to at least bring him to a stop, but then it was just a case of waiting for the walker to get far enough down the hill. Kept watching him through the thermal, giving him the occasional squeak if he looked like he was going to move off, then after a few minutes, with the walker well out of the way, I hopped over the gate like a Welsh ninja, got the gun on the next gate and sent him some bad news. Another chunky dog. Rain moved in not long after, so got packed up and home for 9:30. Job done.

24656832998_755a511a0c_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

Flippin heck boys you lot have been very busy. Good work all round. 

I had to pass up a weekends deer stalking due to personal circumstances but managed to get out a couple of times. 

Friday night out on 400 acres of perfectly flat ground that is a lovely farm but a pain to shoot. Saw 3 but 2 were to far for a shot off the sticks. I got one to come in to the vixen and gekkering call and dropped him at about 60 yards. Lovely dog fox but no pic as phone left at home :lol:

Saturday I got the usual text about dead chickens so off out Saturday night. Watched the pens for an hour with no luck so set the caller up. Vixen call on and caught some nice eye shine through the spotter at the top of the next field. Despite no light of any sort the fox was not hanging around. Another hour of waiting and I headed off around the rest of the farm. No luck so over for a last look by the one pen and spotted a fox just on the top side of the pen. He was very wary and headed off...got set up for the shot by lying in what appeared to be a mud wallow :lol: fox was heading off but stopped long enough for a shot at about the 180 yard mark. Bullet away and the fox took off....fortunately he made it about 10 yards before falling over stone dead. Nice bug dog fox and no 13 on this patch this year. Fingers crossed I can have some peace for a couple of weeks. 

jBbEJ3E.jpg

Edited by WelshMike

13 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice one Babs. :good:

Weather forecast wasn't stellar for tonight, rain moving in 'at some point', but reckoned I could get a couple of hours in before it arrived. Decided not to wander about tonight, but to just go to 3 specific spots and run the caller for a while, then move on. All 3 spots were on the new block. First port of call is where I had the first vixen on Friday night. Got set up in the same place, caller down below me and tried a few 'food' calls. Nothing doing after half an hour so ran the vixen call for a few minutes and shortly after Charlie appears from the exact same direction as the vixen on Friday. Even stopped him at almost the same spot. Picked him up lovely in the drone and watched him drop like a stone in the scope. After 4 vixens on Friday, it transpired tonight would be the night of the dog. Cracking nick, really chunky.

37813581234_a13f5aae95_c.jpg

Next one was a bit of a fluke! Drove about a mile up to the farm at the top and parked in the gateway where I was going to hop over once set up. Got set up and had a quick scan of the field and there's a thermal signature of a fox not 20 yards in front of me on the side of the hedge. Got off the thermal and moved over to the gate, just put the gun on the gate for a closer look and I spot a torch coming up the footpath on my right. First thoughts were "********, that's knackered that". Seconds later a sheepdog runs up to me and starts sniffing around, which made me think was it that I'd just spotted in the field on the thermal? A few seconds later the dog-walker arrives, a quick chat about it being a lovely evening (it wasn't particularly) "blah blah blah", and off she trots with pooch in tow. Was pretty convinced that it was the dog I saw in the thermal, so had a quick scan again and ......charlie's still there in the field! Was really in a tricky spot now, I couldn't get the fox clearly in the scope because some fencing was stealing the light when I was trying to view it in the scope, was just getting eye-shine, plus I was really concerned that the dog walker's torch was still visible flashing back and forth over to my left (but going away from me). Decided to give the fox a couple of squeaks  to at least bring him to a stop, but then it was just a case of waiting for the walker to get far enough down the hill. Kept watching him through the thermal, giving him the occasional squeak if he looked like he was going to move off, then after a few minutes, with the walker well out of the way, I hopped over the gate like a Welsh ninja, got the gun on the next gate and sent him some bad news. Another chunky dog. Rain moved in not long after, so got packed up and home for 9:30. Job done.

24656832998_755a511a0c_c.jpg

:lol: the Welsh Ninja comment made me chuckle mate, top notch. 

You have had some tidy results on the new patch this year mate, all stunning animals as well.  

Looks like everyone but me  has been getting good results of late. Nice work lads.

After a long spell of only seeing distant eyes or nothing I managed a productive night last Thursday.

On the biggest of my permissions I walked my usual route and saw nothing. Thinking here we go again I crested a bank and below be was a vixen at about 60 yards. Off with the lamp, on

the sticks and lamp back on and she was still just going about her business. Easy shot at about 60 yards.

IMG_2663.JPG.4bca12a8a26cd99fa31892cd5e151d0a.JPG

Carried on my rounds and the frost was really starting to bite. Saw nothing until the last field where I thought I had spotted eye shine in the far corner. Squeaked for several minutes but saw nothing from said corner. Had a shine around to see if there was anything else about and found a fox stalking me from behind, about 20 yards away! He was moving across me, I expect to get a scent, to work out what the noise was. Unfortunately no shot available as there were sheep behind and I couldn't get in a safe shot. He exited stage left after what seemed like an age.

A bit dejected I walked on another 10 minutes and decided to have another call and shine. Picked up eyes on the far side of a river. They followed the river to a bridge, across and straight across the field towards me. Had to shout to stop her at about 50 yards and another easy shot!

IMG_2664.JPG.f9438abb3841a00dcb5c210b46f2d323.JPG

So two foxes down and calling confidence high!

Thursday night also displayed a lovely clear sky in which I counted 6 shooting stars / meteors (I am not astrologer!) some burning up and leaving tails across the sky. If it wasn't -4 I would have stayed out all night!

2 hours ago, Strongman said:

Looks like everyone but me  has been getting good results of late. Nice work lads.

After a long spell of only seeing distant eyes or nothing I managed a productive night last Thursday.

On the biggest of my permissions I walked my usual route and saw nothing. Thinking here we go again I crested a bank and below be was a vixen at about 60 yards. Off with the lamp, on

the sticks and lamp back on and she was still just going about her business. Easy shot at about 60 yards.

IMG_2663.JPG.4bca12a8a26cd99fa31892cd5e151d0a.JPG

Carried on my rounds and the frost was really starting to bite. Saw nothing until the last field where I thought I had spotted eye shine in the far corner. Squeaked for several minutes but saw nothing from said corner. Had a shine around to see if there was anything else about and found a fox stalking me from behind, about 20 yards away! He was moving across me, I expect to get a scent, to work out what the noise was. Unfortunately no shot available as there were sheep behind and I couldn't get in a safe shot. He exited stage left after what seemed like an age.

A bit dejected I walked on another 10 minutes and decided to have another call and shine. Picked up eyes on the far side of a river. They followed the river to a bridge, across and straight across the field towards me. Had to shout to stop her at about 50 yards and another easy shot!

IMG_2664.JPG.f9438abb3841a00dcb5c210b46f2d323.JPG

So two foxes down and calling confidence high!

Thursday night also displayed a lovely clear sky in which I counted 6 shooting stars / meteors (I am not astrologer!) some burning up and leaving tails across the sky. If it wasn't -4 I would have stayed out all night!

Good result mate, nicely done. 

Well done lads , a few getting knocked over as of late.

Well I ventured over to my mates new abode last night for a cuppa and a tour. We got set up on top of a shed in the field where he had seen a fox twice.

I was optimistic of a quick result , after using various calls it eventually showed up after 30 mins to the lil jack call.

I noticed it had a really bad limp , I stopped it 20 yds from the caller and my mate duly dropped it.

A big vixen which had suffered a broken front leg which had healed.

RsQhEhK.jpg

11 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well done lads , a few getting knocked over as of late.

Well I ventured over to my mates new abode last night for a cuppa and a tour. We got set up on top of a shed in the field where he had seen a fox twice.

I was optimistic of a quick result , after using various calls it eventually showed up after 30 mins to the lil jack call.

I noticed it had a really bad limp , I stopped it 20 yds from the caller and my mate duly dropped it.

A big vixen which had suffered a broken front leg which had healed.

RsQhEhK.jpg

Good result there. I am always amazed how well foxes cope with major injuries. She looks in lovely nick. 

I was planning to get out tonight on a small permission where the farmer has informed me he has regularly seen a fox. Couldn’t get hold of the farmer to let him know I wa going & then it was too late to make alternative plans :sad1:

Night looks perfect here. Good breeze, cloudy and dark. It will pee down the rest of the week now I bet!!

15 hours ago, racing snake said:

Good work everyone, looks like there's plenty about.

Rain's putting a mockers on things for me at the moment.

Rain has stopped play for me as well bud, it is absolutely foul at the moment and no sign of getting any better until the weekend. At least it gives me some time to fit a nice big UV filter to my water supply :unhappy:

7 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Rain has stopped play for me as well bud, it is absolutely foul at the moment and no sign of getting any better until the weekend. At least it gives me some time to fit a nice big UV filter to my water supply 

Cold by the weekend though mate. Get the filter in sharpish because it'll be all systems go in a day or two. :)