• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can buy tail strippers Grant.

https://www.bestfoxcall.co.uk/product/pete-rickard-tail-stripper/

Ive often fancied doing something with the pelts and Tanning kits are available. Think my missus would skin me if I started though! 

Ive just got in from a fruitless session. Only saw one fox and he wasn’t interested in any calls. Disappeared into a tree lined riverbank not to be seen again. 

On 21/02/2018 at 22:27, babs2020 said:

well guys here is a few of what i have shot this is some one  who  takes  them off me and skins he s just sent  pic s any  one do any thing with there foxs dMIpVHc.png

I used to tan the tails and send them to my friend in Virginia, USA. He handed them out to his friend's children who thought they were brilliant. I bought a tail stripper from a company called Snowdonia Taxidermy Supplies, who also sell an excellent, easy to use tanning kit.The tail stripper is exactly the same as Strongman mentioned. I think I paid around £6.00 for it a few years ago.

Well thought I’d got the main foxes on one perm. Driving home Sunday fox walks out of the landowners gateway and crosses the road! 

Got down tonight, straight away eye shine on the hill. 

Set the speaker up and played a rabbit in distress.

Two lots of eye shine now but no clear shot. 

Next minute I’ve repositioned and there’s a tiny vixen not 30 yards away, up on sticks and she has obviously smelt me and legged it. 

Move position again, set up off a fence post. 

Take aim at the dog fox who has wandered down the hill, take the shot, missed him. God knows what happened. I must of pulled the shot.

1 rabbit for my nights efforts. 

Gutted. 

Had a look out last night as the farmer has started lambing , so said I would have a look to see if any foxes were skulking about ...

1st stand I called for 10 mins with the lil jack call and a fox came in but hung up behind some whins , so a quick change to the rat distress call had it heading straight for the caller :yes: dropped this vixen with a mangey shoulder at 50 yds .....

J8PIY4M.jpg

On 2/22/2018 at 22:28, Brad93 said:

Take aim at the dog fox who has wandered down the hill, take the shot, missed him. God knows what happened. I must of pulled the shot.

1 rabbit for my nights efforts. 

Gutted. 

Aim between the eyes and your rifle shoots sub 1 MOA then dead fox? :whistling: ;)

Out last night with Bumpy and there must have been a deer festival on. They were everywhere (counted 14) unlike the foxes.

Saw 1 shot one. This pic is just for babs. look we are both smiling :lol:

5a91ba4f86b85_IMG-20180223-WA00011.jpg.a14dc4576a7079c2a0781740c5d06122.jpg

Then popped out this afternoon for a quickie (wanted to watch the rugby) and bagged one of the deer. Try and get a few more this week.

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

Aim between the eyes and your rifle shoots sub 1 MOA then dead fox? :whistling: ;)

Out last night with Bumpy and there must have been a deer festival on. They were everywhere (counted 14) unlike the foxes.

Then popped out this afternoon for a quickie (wanted to watch the rugby) and bagged one of the deer. Try and get a few more this week.

was amazing how many times i had to take this pic just to get that smile for babs:yahoo:

Grant said that puts us over 20 for the year so far we should hit the triple figures without tempting any mishaps. to be fair i will be happy with 76

Edited by bumpy22

Nice shooting Mark, Grant and Ed.

Been a bit tricky to get out again for me last week. Managed one night out on Tuesday but again all night was spent on the scaffold waiting for the fox that occasionally appears, but again didn't make a show for 5 hours straight. Managed another night out last night so headed to the big hill. Dog and vixen on the first farm then another dog at the second. No calling, just walking and waiting. Saw 2 more at the quarry but no safe shot on either. Need to get out again tonight to another small piece of land that's due to start lambing next week. Have kept on top of it but haven't had a visit for a month or so now so need to give it the once over.

40430516232_4b0dfd0965_c.jpg

39577936105_5d3bf460e9_c.jpg

38672181390_b91520f7a1_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

Good stuff RS. We tend not to hang around at any location for more than 20 mins max, preferring to move on and try our luck at the next. % hours in this cold is something else :unhappy:

Bumpy reckons its a tough time of year to be getting them right now but until this week it's not been so bad. Happier to be seeing them and not getting a shot rather than not seeing them at all. Although I guess if you don't see them it shows the control is working. 

Cheers Mark, Grant.

Yeah, it can definitely be a bit chilly waiting around Grant. :lol: I think the problem with just waiting them out is more a physiological thing - you kind of start to convince yourself you could be waiting all night, but I've generally found it's never that long. With the exception of the ****** that's been giving me the runaround on one farm I'm generally not waiting much more than an hour before a fox appears. I kind of reckon they'll go around their territory a couple of times a night, and they can work a field pretty quickly. Doesn't work every time but I always balance it out against running the caller, or hand calling and sending any foxes in the opposite direction, and I'd never see it. Always have the caller with me but at this time of year, for me at least, it's a last resort as opposed to the first thing I do. Vixen call in particular can be very tricky I've found. If you've got a resident vixen she can come charging into a vixen call to see her opponent off, but if you've got a vixen that's just moved in she'll run for the hills if she thinks she's moved into a dominant vixen's patch. I always feel that when you start to call (at this time of year) some of the time you're calling one in, but most of the time you're sending one away. It is a thermal specific approach though. If someone's using a lamp then I reckon they might as well call too.

Yes, absolutely agree with what Ed says, most difficult time of year to get foxes now. Been around the block a time or two - seen lamps, heard calls and if the job's been done - not so many of them about either.

Edited by racing snake

17 hours ago, oowee said:

There’s always one idiot.

Edited by Brad93

4 hours ago, racing snake said:

Nice shooting Mark, Grant and Ed.

Been a bit tricky to get out again for me last week. Managed one night out on Tuesday but again all night was spent on the scaffold waiting for the fox that occasionally appears, but again didn't make a show for 5 hours straight. Managed another night out last night so headed to the big hill. Dog and vixen on the first farm then another dog at the second. No calling, just walking and waiting. Saw 2 more at the quarry but no safe shot on either. Need to get out again tonight to another small piece of land that's due to start lambing next week. Have kept on top of it but haven't had a visit for a month or so now so need to give it the once over.

40430516232_4b0dfd0965_c.jpg

39577936105_5d3bf460e9_c.jpg

26603128398_1c4b106108_c.jpg

stop putting these pics stu i cancelled the order for a drone last month:mad::lol: only joking mate top shooting as normal. cant complain about the ward friday night when we were out i could clearly id a badger at well over 400yards :yes:. had a doe today so gralloch may bring in a few this week as it is suppose to be staying cold here

Out last night with Bumpy  and it was mega cold. :unhappy:

Thermal was on a high but nothing was out to play. Eventually had a couple of rabbits, which would have been 3 if not for a misfire.

Final leg of our walk around and spot one at the far side of the field. A moment later and its down. A fair walk over to retrieve it and its slipped away into the ditch. What followed was an epic struggle of man against hedge, barb wire and cunningly disguised man traps to recover the fox from the far side of the hedge. Well done EDD :good:

Well done for fishing that one out Ed. :lol:

Bitterly cold night tonight but fancied a few hours on the big hill. Lambing just around the corner and there's still a few coming in despite the huge number I've taken off this permission since August. Walk up the hill managed to keep the chill at bay, but with a covering of snow and a three quarter moon I knew that walking around the permission was very unlikely to produce anything. Had a walk over to the wood on the far side and walked up the edge to see if there were any fresh tracks coming out of the wood. Sure enough I found a couple of separate fox tracks that must have been walked tonight as we'd had more snow through the day.

Again wasn't going to risk the caller so got myself tucked in on a bank that overlooks three fields and waited. Luckily there was no wind as the biting cold would have been even worse. After only 45 minutes I was getting close to breaking point - hands and feet starting to go numb. constantly having to clear ice off the Drone lens. Was about to get up for a walk around, when a quick scan revealed a fox in the furthest filed about 200-250 yards away, looking straight at me! Hmmm, she'd obviously seen me or was suspicious, got her in the scope and the tell-tale single eye-shine told me she was over 200 yards away. Off the bipod though with her sitting head on at me I put the crosshair on her eyes and let one go. Happy to see her drop instantly  in the scope. Ranged her at 247 yards. Yey - happy with that.

After that I just had to go for a walk to get a bit of a sweat on as the cold was starting to make things go numb! Had a mooch around the hill for 45 minutes but with the snow and the moon it was impossible to keep quiet. After getting a bit of temp back I headed back over to where I'd dropped the vixen and had another wait. Again getting close to breaking point when another fox appears over to my right - heading across me. Let him come through the hedge about 120 yards off then gave him a quick squeak to get his attention and number 2 was down and out. Started to snow again not long after that, which was handy as it was a good excuse to get off the hill, and i'll be able to have another look for some tracks tomorrow.

26654767978_e34210f6e1_c.jpg

9 hours ago, racing snake said:

Well done for fishing that one out Ed.

Bitterly cold night tonight but fancied a few hours on the big hill. Lambing just around the corner and there's still a few coming in despite the huge number I've taken off this permission since August. Walk up the hill managed to keep the chill at bay, but with a covering of snow and a three quarter moon I knew that walking around the permission was very unlikely to produce anything. Had a walk over to the wood on the far side and walked up the edge to see if there were any fresh tracks coming out of the wood. Sure enough I found a couple of separate fox tracks that must have been walked tonight as we'd had more snow through the day.

Again wasn't going to risk the caller so got myself tucked in on a bank that overlooks three fields and waited. Luckily there was no wind as the biting cold would have been even worse. After only 45 minutes I was getting close to breaking point - hands and feet starting to go numb. constantly having to clear ice off the Drone lens. Was about to get up for a walk around, when a quick scan revealed a fox in the furthest filed about 200-250 yards away, looking straight at me! Hmmm, she'd obviously seen me or was suspicious, got her in the scope and the tell-tale single eye-shine told me she was over 200 yards away. Off the bipod though with her sitting head on at me I put the crosshair on her eyes and let one go. Happy to see her drop instantly  in the scope. Ranged her at 247 yards. Yey - happy with that.

After that I just had to go for a walk to get a bit of a sweat on as the cold was starting to make things go numb! Had a mooch around the hill for 45 minutes but with the snow and the moon it was impossible to keep quiet. After getting a bit of temp back I headed back over to where I'd dropped the vixen and had another wait. Again getting close to breaking point when another fox appears over to my right - heading across me. Let him come through the hedge about 120 yards off then gave him a quick squeak to get his attention and number 2 was down and out. Started to snow again not long after that, which was handy as it was a good excuse to get off the hill, and i'll be able to have another look for some tracks tomorrow.

26654767978_e34210f6e1_c.jpg

Nice work as usual Stu. I am being a lazy so and so at the moment and dont seem to be able to get my fox shooting motivation back. I put some bait out from the fallow I shot a week or so ago and I could see the tracks in the snow this morning so I will try and get my lazy backside out and rejoin the committed members of the club. 

Top work again Stu, Ed and Grant, sounds like a comedy moment in the hedge!!

I had a call over the weekend from the same farmer who lost his chickens to a fox last year as he had had another taken and two killed. I couldn't get down in the light Monday to set up one of the dead birds as bait so just tucked in and watched the area to see if there was to be another visit. All I saw was rabbits and by 1 o'clock I was frozen so called it a day.

Not to be outdone I went to the farm in the light yesterday and set up one of the dead birds near the chicken house, returning to my cold hiding space at about 9.30 that night. Again I was frozen and willpower was waning when along came a nice dog fox. Everything then went to according to plan, he stopped for a sniff about 10 yards from the bait where I dropped him with a straightforward shot at about 80 yards. 5 minutes later the farmer appeared as he saw me in the field as he was on his way to feed some calves. Safe to say he was happy, although he questioned my sanity at being out at 12.30 on a freezing cold night waiting for a fox to appear!!

No photo as the cold had seemingly rendered my phone dead!