Fox club

WelshMike

29 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Top work again Stu, Ed and Grant, sounds like a comedy moment in the hedge!!

I had a call over the weekend from the same farmer who lost his chickens to a fox last year as he had had another taken and two killed. I couldn't get down in the light Monday to set up one of the dead birds as bait so just tucked in and watched the area to see if there was to be another visit. All I saw was rabbits and by 1 o'clock I was frozen so called it a day.

Not to be outdone I went to the farm in the light yesterday and set up one of the dead birds near the chicken house, returning to my cold hiding space at about 9.30 that night. Again I was frozen and willpower was waning when along came a nice dog fox. Everything then went to according to plan, he stopped for a sniff about 10 yards from the bait where I dropped him with a straightforward shot at about 80 yards. 5 minutes later the farmer appeared as he saw me in the field as he was on his way to feed some calves. Safe to say he was happy, although he questioned my sanity at being out at 12.30 on a freezing cold night waiting for a fox to appear!!

No photo as the cold had seemingly rendered my phone dead!

Top work Richard. Stuck to the task there mate the farmer will know you put the effort in. 

Back to the hedge incident I thought I better amuse you all by explaining my partner in crimes famous question. while about to crawl up the hedge to despatch fox  that you would struggle to fit my terrier in. Grant asks "do you want the rifle" to which the response was I am not using my teeth:lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Top work Richard. Stuck to the task there mate the farmer will know you put the effort in. 

Back to the hedge incident I thought I better amuse you all by explaining my partner in crimes famous question. while about to crawl up the hedge to despatch fox  that you would struggle to fit my terrier in. Grant asks "do you want the rifle" to which the response was I am not using my teeth

Well i don't know you country types seem to have a way of dealing with everything. :lol:

Well done putting the time in Richard you guys must have better thermals than me. Half an hour in and I am cold. 

Thought of going out on the deer today but convinced myself the frozen ground would be good for a ricochet so will wait till I can pluck up courage. 

23 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Top job stu:good:. Mike get off your ****. I am busy at work and all I get is Grant sending me pics of deer he has grassed. Not feeling motivated to get out of here honest

:lol: Pegged a fallow skin out yesterday afternoon and within 20 minutes is had disappeared under the snow. I popped out for a quick shine with the lamp and saw a nice blizzard and decided that if any foxes were out they could have some peace. Had to do a bit of digging this morning to get through the set of 4ft snowdrifts at the top of the drive. 

Nothing worse then being sent pics of deer when you are working. Give it a couple more decades and you will be ready for retirement to mate :lol:

From putting time in & freezing to popping out of a warm house drop a fox & back in, five minutes tops!

Was about to loose the dog out and looked out of the back window to see if the snow was drifting on our field. There, plain as day, was a fox at the bait I've got at the top of the field. Quick unlock and assemble of the gun, out & shot him at about 130 yards. Didnt think I'd be doing any shooting until this snow clears so glad to get this one. 

7 hours ago, Strongman said:

From putting time in & freezing to popping out of a warm house drop a fox & back in, five minutes tops!

Was about to loose the dog out and looked out of the back window to see if the snow was drifting on our field. There, plain as day, was a fox at the bait I've got at the top of the field. Quick unlock and assemble of the gun, out & shot him at about 130 yards. Didnt think I'd be doing any shooting until this snow clears so glad to get this one. 

That's the sort of shooting you want in this weather. Sounds like you have the same set up as here. A baited field behind the kitchen window. It's the only way to go. I put out a couple of dead cockerels from the neighbor but fox had them when I was not looking so down to just a deer head now.

Fri night is normally shoot night but nothing doing in this weather. 

9 hours ago, Strongman said:

Well done , unfortunately I do not have that luxury. Deep snow up here so don't know when I will be able to get out , got cabin fever at the minute....

Snow's just about gone here s just went out to see where the deer are. Spotted a nice group of Roe but not on my perm :unhappy: Waited to see if they would move my way but no joy. Nice to be out now the wind has died out and it's not so cold. Good luck in the morning Edd. 

52 minutes ago, oowee said:

Snow's just about gone here s just went out to see where the deer are. Spotted a nice group of Roe but not on my perm :unhappy: Waited to see if they would move my way but no joy. Nice to be out now the wind has died out and it's not so cold. Good luck in the morning Edd. 

more than welcome to come as you know

8 hours ago, babs2020 said:

any body out tonight

Yes, I was out for a few hours babs. Went to the quarry and waited to see if anything about. A fox came to the brow of the hill about 400 yards away after an hour or so, and just sat there for quarter of an hour, looking down at the lake, before turning his back and disappearing back over the brow. He hadn't seen me, nor had he winded me, but he wouldn't come down. Tipped my hat to him and called it a night shortly after as the snow stated to fall again.

Edited by racing snake

20 hours ago, babs2020 said:

any body out tonight

I managed to get out last night thanks to Jeff as he picked me up in his Jimny  , I had cabin fever after being stuck in for 4 days so it was greatly appreciated :yes:

We did 3 stands , first 2 a blank so Jeff said to try another little spot which I haven't seen a fox on for 2 years , not hopeful at all but we give it a go.

Couldn't believe it when eventually a fox came in very cautiously but hung up behind a hedge , after a good game of cat and mouse , changing calls a few times  , it eventually came through the hedge . This was Jeffs queue to put it to bed :good:

Cheers mate for venturing out as I would have had to stay in the house for another night :friends:

bPC748Q.jpg

Edited by FOXHUNTER1

Was toying with the idea of venturing out tonight, when a call from one of the farms on the big hill kind of made my decision for me. He'd seen a fox in one of the feilds by the wood on the far side today, and with lambing a few days away from starting it wasn't what I wanted to hear. Didn't head straight onto the big hill, had an hour over the lane at the quarry first. Nice evening to be out, humidity was low so really good picture on the thermal, could see for miles. Sat on the flatbed for about 45 minutes, just thinking of moving up onto the hill when I notice a fox coming from the wood on the left. Nice easy shot off the bipod, first vixen of the night.

39767930125_6a572ff810_c.jpg

Headed up the lane and towards the big hill after dropping that first vixen. Only a couple of hundred yards walk from the quarry to the farm. Just got onto the track, about 100 yards from the farm, a quick scan and spot a fox working the gorse bank on my left. Got the gun on the wall and gave her s shout and vixen number 2 was down and out.

40620910202_4fc13cef85_c.jpg

So now the dilemma, do I put myself through the punishing climb around the hill, or could this have been the fox that the farmer saw earlier in the day. Was still a good half mile from where he saw the fox, but I she could cover that easy in the couple of hours since dark. As it wasn't too bad a night I decided to walk the whole hill, just in case there was another about. Went left by the farm, up the killer  climb to the top of the hill, then worked my way round the top over to the far side. No sign of anything else as I walked over to the far side, so got as high as I could and sat myself down. With hardly any moisture in the air I could see all the way down to the valley floor with the thermal. Had a few scans but couldn't see any sign of any other foxes. Was starting to think the vixen I had by the farm was probably the one he'd seen. Ten minutes later though that proved not to be the case. Despite being able to see easy 1000 yards with the thermal, Charlie makes an appearance through the gorse bank not 70 yards away! She came straight through it and plonked herself down for a rest. Quickly got her in the scope and dropped her on the spot. Given that I was only one field away from where the farmer had spotted the fox I was sure this must have been the one. Walked over to check her out and was amazed to see she'd lost and entire back leg! I've seen foxes recover from some pretty nasty injuries, but the amount of rear leg that was missing, it's incredible she'd survived and had been managing perfectly fine by the looks of it. Couldn't help but think that if any fox was going to start on the lambs though, it would have been her. Nothing else seen after those 3.

39953051064_02f4675971_c.jpg

We were out last night :lol: the most amazing amount of rain flooded everywhere. We stayed mostly in the car popping out between showers and still got soaked. Two rabbits :)

Cracking night out there RS and great write up.

Out in the hide in the morning but foxes Friday night.

13 hours ago, racing snake said:

Was toying with the idea of venturing out tonight, when a call from one of the farms on the big hill kind of made my decision for me. He'd seen a fox in one of the feilds by the wood on the far side today, and with lambing a few days away from starting it wasn't what I wanted to hear. Didn't head straight onto the big hill, had an hour over the lane at the quarry first. Nice evening to be out, humidity was low so really good picture on the thermal, could see for miles. Sat on the flatbed for about 45 minutes, just thinking of moving up onto the hill when I notice a fox coming from the wood on the left. Nice easy shot off the bipod, first vixen of the night.

39767930125_6a572ff810_c.jpg

Headed up the lane and towards the big hill after dropping that first vixen. Only a couple of hundred yards walk from the quarry to the farm. Just got onto the track, about 100 yards from the farm, a quick scan and spot a fox working the gorse bank on my left. Got the gun on the wall and gave her s shout and vixen number 2 was down and out.

40620910202_4fc13cef85_c.jpg

So now the dilemma, do I put myself through the punishing climb around the hill, or could this have been the fox that the farmer saw earlier in the day. Was still a good half mile from where he saw the fox, but I she could cover that easy in the couple of hours since dark. As it wasn't too bad a night I decided to walk the whole hill, just in case there was another about. Went left by the farm, up the killer  climb to the top of the hill, then worked my way round the top over to the far side. No sign of anything else as I walked over to the far side, so got as high as I could and sat myself down. With hardly any moisture in the air I could see all the way down to the valley floor with the thermal. Had a few scans but couldn't see any sign of any other foxes. Was starting to think the vixen I had by the farm was probably the one he'd seen. Ten minutes later though that proved not to be the case. Despite being able to see easy 1000 yards with the thermal, Charlie makes an appearance through the gorse bank not 70 yards away! She came straight through it and plonked herself down for a rest. Quickly got her in the scope and dropped her on the spot. Given that I was only one field away from where the farmer had spotted the fox I was sure this must have been the one. Walked over to check her out and was amazed to see she'd lost and entire back leg! I've seen foxes recover from some pretty nasty injuries, but the amount of rear leg that was missing, it's incredible she'd survived and had been managing perfectly fine by the looks of it. Couldn't help but think that if any fox was going to start on the lambs though, it would have been her. Nothing else seen after those 3.

39953051064_02f4675971_c.jpg

Well done Stu. 

Managed to finally get to work on Tuesday after being snowed in since last Thursday. Headed out last night but all quiet on the 2 farms. Spotted one at home but it wouldnt come onto my ground. There has been a bit of activity at the bait site but the snow has made it trick for anything to get about so lets see what the next couple of nights hold. 

Away with work next week so looks like the target for 2018 is to get to to double figures LOL