Fox club

WelshMike

Dog fox I had at a local farm and came in along a fence and shot at 60 yds

Vixen 2nd pic I had last night in Mid Wales,got to the farm and the farmer was working on a machine had a quick chat and his terrier was barking in the field by the house,quickly got the rifle ready and went to the field above where the terrier was barking Didn't have to wait long and this big Vixen was trotting back towards the wood, a little squeak and down she went at 100yds She was the size of most Dog foxes, farmer was well happy:good:

20180316_195757.jpg

20180328_204112.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 29/03/2018 at 20:26, Daieye said:

Dog fox I had at a local farm and came in along a fence and shot at 60 yds

Vixen 2nd pic I had last night in Mid Wales,got to the farm and the farmer was working on a machine had a quick chat and his terrier was barking in the field by the house,quickly got the rifle ready and went to the field above where the terrier was barking Didn't have to wait long and this big Vixen was trotting back towards the wood, a little squeak and down she went at 100yds She was the size of most Dog foxes, farmer was well happy:good:

20180316_195757.jpg

20180328_204112.jpg

top job dai. we were out on new ground last night that has a syndicate on it in the wood. the weather was torrential rain all night but Grant insisted on going:no: first field showed plenty of deer:yes: second field had a fox mousing in the grass or should i say pond:hmm:couple of small mouse squeaks had it coaxed in to 100 yrds where a chest shot put it down. next fields all had plenty of roe in them but no sign of fallow through the thermal. which was a shame not to see them but are assured they are there. got foxpro set up near the end of the wood with pheasant distress. fox comes flying in but turns and runs back to edge of wood with no safe shot. on the way back through the estate Grant picks up another in the thermal. but again shows great reaction to the call but circle the farmhouse without presenting a safe shot. all in all another fantastic patch with plenty to go at. I think Grant could put a sticker over somerset on the map the amount of quality ground he has :good:

another good night shooting in poor conditions with our fox numbers growing 76 should be with us soon:lol:

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

76 will be with you in no time mate. I cant get one at the minute to save my life.

Nice to have 3 species of deer to go at , only roe up here. Good luck with the fallow.

Should be good to get on something other than roe. We are seeing plenty of roe so april should be good for us before cover and territories are sorted. Fox wise without tempting fate seem to be about on all the ground. but we are covering a large area of land each week. A month or two you will have the phone ringing with fox problems constant when cubs show. Any opportunity for easy food will be exploited.

Nice work ShootingEgg, Dai, Ed and Grant. Sounds like there are a few number still about. I went out with a friend on Wednesday to look round a few farms that I have had calls from, who have seen foxes around the lambs which have been turned out. Had a dog fox early on at last light on the way back from my mate zeroing his rifle so thought there may be a few about. As it happens we only saw one more all night, which was shot at about 80 yards after coming from among the sheep he was lurking in! Happy there are not many about as it is a dilemma at this time of year. Will just be acting on calls of potentially troublesome foxes for a while now.

Anyone off to the Shires Game Fair in April?

24 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Nice work ShootingEgg, Dai, Ed and Grant. Sounds like there are a few number still about. I went out with a friend on Wednesday to look round a few farms that I have had calls from, who have seen foxes around the lambs which have been turned out. Had a dog fox early on at last light on the way back from my mate zeroing his rifle so thought there may be a few about. As it happens we only saw one more all night, which was shot at about 80 yards after coming from among the sheep he was lurking in! Happy there are not many about as it is a dilemma at this time of year. Will just be acting on calls of potentially troublesome foxes for a while now.

Anyone off to the Shires Game Fair in April?

Good work Richard. Me Grant and afew mates are going to the july game fair would be good to meet up with the other fox club members except mike of course :lol:

39 minutes ago, Strongman said:

Don't say that, I want to see the famous man bag !!

That sounds like a cracking idea though. You'll need to be careful with all the permissions you are aquiring, you might not have the time to get away!! 

he sent me a picture of the renovations to his house last week. to say he has a lot to do is a understatement. he is determined to get his make up table and shoe rack for his heels done:yes::lol::lol:

Out last night with Bumpy to bag a few rabbits and try to get some pesky foxes around the lambs. Bagged a nice one asleep in the field (face on about 60yds) at the rabbit stop and then off to the lambing field. mmmmm Not so good as four came in a rush. Cover was not great, one moment there were none and then suddenly they were very close coming across the stream at the bottom of the field whilst we hid behind a trailer. We struggled to get on most of them, we managed a solid hit on one but it made it into the stream so we could not get it out. 

No one took a picture of the first :unhappy:

Edited by oowee

well done Grant and Edd

Got one permission that lambs outside and its like fox heaven when they start lambing even though I go there every fortnight

Have a look in the field where sheep are lambing and there's a fox mooching through the ewe's a bark from me and 1st one down at 9.30

Have a cuppa with the farmer,who was happy and said no problems as yet but I stick around for a while, nothing seen to 1am when a fox turns up,not in a shootable position so wait for him to cross the lane he then disappears for 10 mins and now he's trotting down the lane.I'm now up on some silage bales and he comes under the fence, no sheep in this field so I get a clear shot number 2 down

A glance around with lamp and there's another one where the other fox came from about 150 yds away back on scope and number 3 down

A Vixen and 2 Dogs and a happy farmer:good:

No pic of Vixen as the V max did its job too well

20180401_012820.jpg

20180401_013714.jpg

Nice one Daieye, more efficient than we were :good:. There is only one farmer around here lambing outside and your right it's like a fox smorgasbord. I am going to try to get up there again Wednesday night and just sit out in a hide to give a bit more time on the shot. 

You are all a cheeky bunch of ****.....

Apologies I have been knocking more of the house down for the past 6 days and felling and chopping up a big ash tree as well....

Well done to all of you guys who have been out and about and keeping the little blighters away from the lambs. 

I will get a pic of the boot rack when it is finished, it will have a hanging area for the man bag collection of course :lol:

Back out last night to a new piece of ground one of my regular farmers has just bought. 132 acres of stunning ground with some river frontage. 

He decided to come out with me for an hour. Headed out with the NV rifle...big mistake. The scope is being a real pain in the backside and wont focus so all is a little fuzzy. You can still 100% identify what it is just a fuzzy fox, fuzzy rabbit etc. Headed out near the river and spotted a fox. Set up on the stick and squeaked the fox. Trotted obligingly towards me and at 70 yards it stopped and off went the bullet...off ran the fox......bit of swearing and shouting at the fox to stop it...at about 160 or so yards it stopped and fell to a head shot. No pic as a 58 grain .243 in the head is messy. Scrawny little barren vixen so not a bad start. As we were walking back there was some rustling and out popped 3 otters about 15 yards away. Cracking spot and nice to see so much wildlife. 

Need to get my NV sorted so lets see what can be done...really ****** me off...

Well done Mike. After stalking yesterday evening I had a look about with the lamp to see if there was any foxes about. 1st fox I shot at around 200 yds on a huge bank of gorse , could see it clearly lying dead in scope but after 1/2 an hour of searching in the dark I couldn't find it :unhappy:

Next call pulled in a dog fox after only 3 mins :)

u8jI53x.jpg

Nice pair there FH :good:

Just in from an evening on deer and then on foxes with Ed. We both managed to bag one of each. Write up and pics to follow. Very nice buck from my work and what can only be described as a large rabbit from my accomplice :lol:. In all fairness he worked hard for his and i just sat in the high seat. More later.

Edited by oowee

7 hours ago, oowee said:

Nice pair there FH :good:

Just in from an evening on deer and then on foxes with Ed. We both managed to bag one of each. Write up and pics to follow. Very nice buck from my work and what can only be described as a large rabbit from my accomplice :lol:. In all fairness he worked hard for his and i just sat in the high seat. More later.

deer management take out the rubbish:lol::lol::good:

:lol: 

We arrived at new farm Edd on a mission and off he went, in the truck, to explore new fields. After spending best part of an hour (from the sound of it) chatting away to farmer he eventually sets off, with the job of bagging some Roe. :whistling:

What happened then is a bit hazy in my mind this morning :rolleyes: but over the space of about 5 fields circa 50 acres he saw about ten deer. Stalked up and down said fields behind low hedges over very wet ground with deer popping out less than 10 feet from him. Going this way and that he saw a top trophy head but decided that was best left for stock :thanks: . Stalked on one then another, as they roamed around until after some 45 mins and with failing light he bagged one at 60yds. I say one but it's more  like a half of one. Yes its got four legs and a head (or did have) but its the scrawniest thing you ever saw.

Meanwhile I am sitting in a great high seat admiring the view drinking coffee waiting for something to emerge. When a magnificent Buck comes from the side walking towards the high seat. I let him get to 70yds and drop him. 

Sort the deer then off on foxes but the ward is dead :unhappy:.  Back to the old ways with the lamp. Parking at the cross roads a lazy look at the four fields shows zilch but I make the effort to get out the truck and look in the field and sure enough less than 20yds away we have a customer. Get the rifle, find the mag, get the lamp trying to be quiet but making a racket and at last we are sorted. Fox is now 100m away but nicely placed against the bank. Light on and a simple shot drops him. :)

IMG_20180406_WA0004_1.jpg

Then onto the field opposite one is coming into the caller lamp goes on and it's off. Far side of the field off the gate 200m and :oops:

So onto the next farm. Scanning about on one field we spot one at the back of the goose pens, trotting across the field. Lights on its 50 yds and forgetting to let it stop, a 100 grainer drops it in its tracks. 

IMG_20180406_WA0005_1.jpg

We looked at another farm but I think by this point we had pretty much had enough and we packed up after a cursory look around. Back home and in bed by 0200. 

IMG-20180406-WA0002[1].jpg

deer_0604.jpg

good write up. we forgot to mention your lucky new shiny badge:no::yahoo:in all fairness i was amazed the amount of deer we saw last night without exaggeration i would say at least 40 roe deer on the estate and other farm. foxes are still going down and we should reach the half century soon. the problem will be when someone disappears to africa chasing baboons and god knows whatever else :hmm: