Fox club

WelshMike

A mate of mine got a new .223 on Friday so I decided it would be nice to pop up for a brew and then to see what was about . He didnt have time to zero the rifle so I took the .243 up and we headed out with another of my mates friends as they were having issues at a local chicken farm . I parked the truck in the entrance to the gateways as the set was apparently on a bank about 160 yards away. I got the rifle set up on the back of the truck and then we set about spotting with the thermal. After about 5 seconds we could see 3 cubs so over to the NV....the only issue was that the set is in a hedge behind a fence so that made it fun and games to get a shot. After some minutes of mucking about I got a clear shot on cub no 1 who caught a 58 grain round in the forehead. 20 or so minutes of frustration and one cub made a bolt from cover an headed off across the field. A loud call stopped it long enough for a chest shot and down it went. 

An adult was spotted in the opposite direction so I legged it across the field. over an electric fence and got set up ready.....well of course at a challenging 40 yard off a gate post I missed...all watched by the lads in the thermal....I also laid down to take a shot which I couldnt take due to long grass and lay in a huge cow poop...all over me :lol:

On heading back to the truck for some p!!s taking I spotted another cub that dropped to a chest shot off the stick at about 80 yards. A good night, good laugh and nice to get back out. Shame I missed the adult but we will get him or her again...I always miss the easy ones..numpty. 

Edited by WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, WelshMike said:

A mate of mine got a new .223 on Friday so I decided it would be nice to pop up for a brew and then to see what was about . He didnt have time to zero the rifle so I took the .243 up and we headed out with another of my mates friends as they were having issues at a local chicken farm . I parked the truck in the entrance to the gateways as the set was apparently on a bank about 160 yards away. I got the rifle set up on the back of the truck and then we set about spotting with the thermal. After about 5 seconds we could see 3 cubs so over to the NV....the only issue was that the set is in a hedge behind a fence so that made it fun and games to get a shot. After some minutes of mucking about I got a clear shot on cub no 1 who caught a 58 grain round in the forehead. 20 or so minutes of frustration and one cub made a bolt from cover an headed off across the field. A loud call stopped it long enough for a chest shot and down it went. 

An adult was spotted in the opposite direction so I legged it across the field. over an electric fence and got set up ready.....well of course at a challenging 40 yard off a gate post I missed...all watched by the lads in the thermal....I also laid down to take a shot which I couldnt take due to long grass and lay in a huge cow poop...all over me 

On heading back to the truck for some p!!s taking I spotted another cub that dropped to a chest shot off the stick at about 80 yards. A good night, good laugh and nice to get back out. Shame I missed the adult but we will get him or her again...I always miss the easy ones..numpty. 

Good work Mike Shame about the missed one. Good write up aswell. Only issue was the bit about mates🤔🤣

On to a new bit of ground last night where owner had contacted about a fox taking chickens. No knowing the ground I took hmr as I was sure it would not be vast. 

When I get there owner showed me round his farm with plenty of rabbits that needed thinning out aswell. 

I set my truck up under hedge and immediately saw a fox trotting away down the same hedge. Waited till she was out of sight got rifle set up. Within a minute of hand calling she came bombing down the hedge. A quick shout and stopped her 30 yards out. Quick phone call to owner who I had left ten minutes before. Who was slightly shocked I had got her already. 

With the night early I stuck foxpro out sixty yards from the truck. Within half hour I could see another fox on the far opposite corner. Started caller the fox came bombing in to it. I muted it at about 30 yards from caller but he kept coming. Looked at caller and immediately back peddled to the corner where I hit it. 

Owner rang me this morning to report that the dead chicken he left out had not been touched. He asked me what he owed me. I said sort out the ground for permission around his as there were plenty of roe and rabbits. He said no problem. I will try again next week as I am sure there will be more

On 17/06/2019 at 12:59, bumpy22 said:

Good work Mike Shame about the missed one. Good write up aswell. Only issue was the bit about mates🤔🤣

18 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Good result Mike, shame about the miss but it's always the easy ones lol 

Cheers gents..apart from the usual abuse from Ed :lol:

I need to concentrate on the easy ones as I miss way to many under 50 yards but not many at 150 ...daft

1 minute ago, bumpy22 said:

On to a new bit of ground last night where owner had contacted about a fox taking chickens. No knowing the ground I took hmr as I was sure it would not be vast. 

When I get there owner showed me round his farm with plenty of rabbits that needed thinning out aswell. 

I set my truck up under hedge and immediately saw a fox trotting away down the same hedge. Waited till she was out of sight got rifle set up. Within a minute of hand calling she came bombing down the hedge. A quick shout and stopped her 30 yards out. Quick phone call to owner who I had left ten minutes before. Who was slightly shocked I had got her already. 

With the night early I stuck foxpro out sixty yards from the truck. Within half hour I could see another fox on the far opposite corner. Started caller the fox came bombing in to it. I muted it at about 30 yards from caller but he kept coming. Looked at caller and immediately back peddled to the corner where I hit it. 

Owner rang me this morning to report that the dead chicken he left out had not been touched. He asked me what he owed me. I said sort out the ground for permission around his as there were plenty of roe and rabbits. He said no problem. I will try again next week as I am sure there will be more

Nicely done mate. No good for my shooting as I would have missed both of those :lol:

Out Friday night to try and catch up with a couple of foxes I spotted early in the week.  Got to the high seat I spotted them from about 930pm, I had spotted the two foxes at the 1015 pm a couple of days before. I checked half a tin of fishy cat food out on some freshly planted cover crop 40 yards away from the high seat then settled down  to wait.about 1020 pm  I heard a russling in the woods behind me then out popped a big old dog Fox’s heading straight for the whiskers a 50gn vmax stopped him before he even got near. The light was just going now so I turned the nv008 on to night mode and waited for another half an hour but nothing was showing so I went and picked up the dog fox. As I was just about to leave I had a scan over the next field to see if anything was about, nothing showing so I turned round behind me to have a scan over the cat food I had put out  and there was another fox having a good old feast of salmon. Gun up bang number 2 down. This years vixen cub. A very productive hour and a half.

583DA3F1-37F7-441E-ABEC-8E639851694B.jpeg

FE4636CA-7330-415C-96B4-CE76BDA0AE7C.jpeg

46 minutes ago, bang bang birdy said:

Out Friday night to try and catch up with a couple of foxes I spotted early in the week.  Got to the high seat I spotted them from about 930pm, I had spotted the two foxes at the 1015 pm a couple of days before. I checked half a tin of fishy cat food out on some freshly planted cover crop 40 yards away from the high seat then settled down  to wait.about 1020 pm  I heard a russling in the woods behind me then out popped a big old dog Fox’s heading straight for the whiskers a 50gn vmax stopped him before he even got near. The light was just going now so I turned the nv008 on to night mode and waited for another half an hour but nothing was showing so I went and picked up the dog fox. As I was just about to leave I had a scan over the next field to see if anything was about, nothing showing so I turned round behind me to have a scan over the cat food I had put out  and there was another fox having a good old feast of salmon. Gun up bang number 2 down. This years vixen cub. A very productive hour and a half.

Good job and a plan that worked. How are you finding 008 ? I am thinking of getting one for my hmr. I use it a lot for fox control on some of the smaller patches and obviously rabbits which seem to be back with abundance.

14 hours ago, bang bang birdy said:

Good result mate. The bottom pic looks like and adult not a cub though..my old eyes perhaps :lol:

18 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

I think he meant one of last years young. How is the mansion going? You must be due a trip down here with handbag soon

:good:good point. Plasterers started this morning so solid progress at the moment. Still have all of upstairs to sort out but the structural stuff is all pretty well done. I reckon I ll be in bristol for 3 or 4 days in October so I ll give you a shout. Not sure Grant likes me anymore so I might be banned from coming out with you boys :lol: I now have a posh man bag for the thermal so brace yourself lol 

15 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Good job and a plan that worked. How are you finding 008 ? I am thinking of getting one for my hmr. I use it a lot for fox control on some of the smaller patches and obviously rabbits which seem to be back with abundance.

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Good result mate. The bottom pic looks like and adult not a cub though..my old eyes perhaps 

Your right I did mean last years. I’m loving the pard nv008. I really like the fact you can use it in the day light as well. Just as it gets dark I switch from colour to black and white, then when proper dark turn on the IR. the day time picture is not high end scope quality but still very usable and foxes don’t really mind, If your near me at any point more than welcome to have a go. If your after one Ash at customriflescopesuk Is the man to talk to.

6 minutes ago, bang bang birdy said:

Your right I did mean last years. I’m loving the pard nv008. I really like the fact you can use it in the day light as well. Just as it gets dark I switch from colour to black and white, then when proper dark turn on the IR. the day time picture is not high end scope quality but still very usable and foxes don’t really mind, If your near me at any point more than welcome to have a go. If your after one Ash at customriflescopesuk Is the man to talk to.

:good:must be me as Ed knew what you meant lol. 

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

:good:good point. Plasterers started this morning so solid progress at the moment. Still have all of upstairs to sort out but the structural stuff is all pretty well done. I reckon I ll be in bristol for 3 or 4 days in October so I ll give you a shout. Not sure Grant likes me anymore so I might be banned from coming out with you boys  I now have a posh man bag for the thermal so brace yourself lol 

Your always welcome. Not been out on the foxes so much. I went to a house last week and shot 3 youngsters within 20 mins on a roe carcass. I had one from the litter a couple of weeks or so ago so that should be them. 

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

Your always welcome. Not been out on the foxes so much. I went to a house last week and shot 3 youngsters within 20 mins on a roe carcass. I had one from the litter a couple of weeks or so ago so that should be them. 

Cheers Grant. I thought I was banned due to the lack of cakes and the man bag :lol: 2 of the fields at home have been cut so out with the caller and rifle tonight to see whats about :good:

6 hours ago, bang bang birdy said:

Okay m8. I am still toying with getting one. What is field of view like and does a fox at 100 yds have a clear sight picture? 

Sat in MK2 fox box last night. I had shot a half grown cub there the other week and was expecting more. With rabbits everywhere and the draw of thousands of free range chickens I was sure of a appearance. As the light faded a heat source was picked up through the thermal. Switched the caller on 60 yards in front but no response so had to wait. Within five minutes it was spotted further in the undergrowth. This time I gave a few hand squeaks and immediately it came in to be put down by hmr. Within five minutes another came but from opposite end. this time I had to wait for it to trot down the hedgeline. Once it was on the track to little squeaks and it was running to the box. Number 2 for the night which makes 70 of  that one permission since August last year.

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Sat in MK2 fox box last night. I had shot a half grown cub there the other week and was expecting more. With rabbits everywhere and the draw of thousands of free range chickens I was sure of a appearance. As the light faded a heat source was picked up through the thermal. Switched the caller on 60 yards in front but no response so had to wait. Within five minutes it was spotted further in the undergrowth. This time I gave a few hand squeaks and immediately it came in to be put down by hmr. Within five minutes another came but from opposite end. this time I had to wait for it to trot down the hedgeline. Once it was on the track to little squeaks and it was running to the box. Number 2 for the night which makes 70 of  that one permission since August last year.

:good:Nicely done. 

I made it out last night...only on my ground as I was feeling lazy. Watched some owls on the bottom field for a while then headed up the lane to the top field. Tell tale heat signature of a fox at the top of the field. I watched the cub dashing about like a mad thing...looked like it was chasing moths . I couldnt take a shot as it was a bit to close to the brow of the hill so I called...which it ignored so I had to watch and wait . After about 20 minutes it presented a safe shot and dropped at about 140 yards. I left it for picking up this morning but the heavens opened so I ll go and get it once it stops raining. Nice to be out. 

One of my favourite spots to sit and either wait for Charlie, or call one in, is behind a section of post-n-rail fence alongside a 5 bar gate looking up a field alongside the hedge/fence towards a small town. Sitting in my plastic garden chair with the fence in front to use as a rest it makes it easy to take on the longer shots  ( I do like to be comfy ;) )

The foxes regularly come from the town to raid the goose and duck pens on the permission. Friday saw me there cutting the tops off the high thistles and grass in front of my position to avoid deflections. I settled in and decided to leave the caller silent and just see what moved for while. Despite the constant Moo-ing of the cattle over the ridge in front of me it was a  lovely peaceful evening to be sat out with the rifle, and before long a rabbit hopped out of the hedge and began feeding well up the field so I idly lasered it having guessed it to be 300yds away. LRF confirmed it at 307yds, and I sat watching it through the scope for about 30 minutes, happy that it would act as a tell-tale 'canary' if a predator was on the prowl.

Sure enough, after another 20 minutes or so the rabbit sat bolt upright, twitched, 'thumped' an alarm and ran for the hedge. Within 2 minutes there was Charlie, sniffing the spot where the bunny had been sitting all that time. Happy days. Check there's plenty of ground behind it and bring the .204 on to target. A shout of 'Oy!' and she looked up to see what was what...

Just a nudge over 1/2 a mil-dot of elevation and squeeze ... Crack! .. thump .. make final journey by virtue of gravity. 32 grains of lead is all you need if it's in the right place. A young (last years cub probably) vixen with a tiny hole right in the centre of the bib, and a big hole half way down her back. Not a twitch.

Then I notice that the cattle are all making their way down the field to settle in their usual corner for the night. All, that is except one who comes down the fence-line bellowing and bellowing non-stop. Soon the problem is apparent .. her very young calf has somehow managed to get through to the next field and now cannot get back to mum ... I went up the field, opened the gate to shoo the calf back through and (you guessed it) the whole bloody herd stampede through the gate into the 'wrong' field AAArgh ! I spent the next 45 minutes running from one end of the field to the other to push the dopey steaks-on-legs back to where they were meant to be. Absolutely knackered and bathed in sweat I managed to get them all sorted in the end and at about 11:15 I packed in and headed home for some well earned supper. Not a Summer Solstice I'll forget in a hurry.

17 minutes ago, Longstrider said:

One of my favourite spots to sit and either wait for Charlie, or call one in, is behind a section of post-n-rail fence alongside a 5 bar gate looking up a field alongside the hedge/fence towards a small town. Sitting in my plastic garden chair with the fence in front to use as a rest it makes it easy to take on the longer shots  ( I do like to be comfy ;) )

The foxes regularly come from the town to raid the goose and duck pens on the permission. Friday saw me there cutting the tops off the high thistles and grass in front of my position to avoid deflections. I settled in and decided to leave the caller silent and just see what moved for while. Despite the constant Moo-ing of the cattle over the ridge in front of me it was a  lovely peaceful evening to be sat out with the rifle, and before long a rabbit hopped out of the hedge and began feeding well up the field so I idly lasered it having guessed it to be 300yds away. LRF confirmed it at 307yds, and I sat watching it through the scope for about 30 minutes, happy that it would act as a tell-tale 'canary' if a predator was on the prowl.

Sure enough, after another 20 minutes or so the rabbit sat bolt upright, twitched, 'thumped' an alarm and ran for the hedge. Within 2 minutes there was Charlie, sniffing the spot where the bunny had been sitting all that time. Happy days. Check there's plenty of ground behind it and bring the .204 on to target. A shout of 'Oy!' and she looked up to see what was what...

Just a nudge over 1/2 a mil-dot of elevation and squeeze ... Crack! .. thump .. make final journey by virtue of gravity. 32 grains of lead is all you need if it's in the right place. A young (last years cub probably) vixen with a tiny hole right in the centre of the bib, and a big hole half way down her back. Not a twitch.

Then I notice that the cattle are all making their way down the field to settle in their usual corner for the night. All, that is except one who comes down the fence-line bellowing and bellowing non-stop. Soon the problem is apparent .. her very young calf has somehow managed to get through to the next field and now cannot get back to mum ... I went up the field, opened the gate to shoo the calf back through and (you guessed it) the whole bloody herd stampede through the gate into the 'wrong' field AAArgh ! I spent the next 45 minutes running from one end of the field to the other to push the dopey steaks-on-legs back to where they were meant to be. Absolutely knackered and bathed in sweat I managed to get them all sorted in the end and at about 11:15 I packed in and headed home for some well earned supper. Not a Summer Solstice I'll forget in a hurry.

:lol: brilliant. Great job on the fox but not so good with the cows. Animals never do what you want. I spend 10 minutes chasing an 8 week old piglet round my neighbours field a couple of months ago..the field is steep and full of gorse and the piglet didnt want to come back. A quick dash and a rugby tackle finally brought proceedings to an end...then a weekend digging chicken wire into a trench to make fort knox...no more escapees. 

I also love the fact that you have the comfy side of things sorted. Sat in a garden chair with a coffee and rifle, thats the way to spend an evening :good:

Don't start me on 'Chasing pigs/sheep tales'. 

Working security some years back we had a guy living on-site in a caravan so he could work nights protecting a compound of machinery and heavy plant. The area was fenced with just a few posts and a roll or two of sheep mesh without a top-wire. 2 of the sheep jumped the fence and got under his caravan to escape the heat of the day and to scratch their backs on the chassis. This rocked the caravan enough to wake him (mid-day-ish), and wondering what the hell was going on (and suspecting the rest of us of some prank) he got out of bed, slipped on the easiest footwear to quickly slip-on ... wellies, and rushed out to confront whoever had woken him.

The blackmail potential of the security camera footage was immense as we had 20-odd minutes of film of a married middle aged man in no more than boxer shorts and wellies chasing 2 sheep around the field like his life depended on catching them ! :lol:

36 minutes ago, Longstrider said:

Don't start me on 'Chasing pigs/sheep tales'. 

Working security some years back we had a guy living on-site in a caravan so he could work nights protecting a compound of machinery and heavy plant. The area was fenced with just a few posts and a roll or two of sheep mesh without a top-wire. 2 of the sheep jumped the fence and got under his caravan to escape the heat of the day and to scratch their backs on the chassis. This rocked the caravan enough to wake him (mid-day-ish), and wondering what the hell was going on (and suspecting the rest of us of some prank) he got out of bed, slipped on the easiest footwear to quickly slip-on ... wellies, and rushed out to confront whoever had woken him.

The blackmail potential of the security camera footage was immense as we had 20-odd minutes of film of a married middle aged man in no more than boxer shorts and wellies chasing 2 sheep around the field like his life depended on catching them !

:lol:  

55 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Good effort longstrider👍

Mike I thought it was sheep not pigs🤔

Since we bought the mansion and have our own fences I now wait for them to get stuck to avoid tiring myself out with the foreplay :lol: