Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Headed out last night at 8pm with my mate to our syndicate ground for a buck and then have a call on a stubble. On arrival spotted a buck straight away in a wheat field which had a limp. My mate took him and he had a pussy wound on his back leg so good one to take.After gralloching it we checked out the stubble to find 5 roe in the gamecrop,  my m8 took this one too which was a nice6 pointer. We then had a call and a fox came in from 2 fields away only to hang up about 200 yds away. My m8 shot which sounded good but we couldn't find the fox. So today he went back with the labs and picked up the scent and found a good dog fox some 400 yds away with front leg missing.  A cracking evening 😁

13 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Headed out last night at 8pm with my mate to our syndicate ground for a buck and then have a call on a stubble. On arrival spotted a buck straight away in a wheat field which had a limp. My mate took him and he had a pussy wound on his back leg so good one to take.After gralloching it we checked out the stubble to find 5 roe in the gamecrop,  my m8 took this one too which was a nice6 pointer. We then had a call and a fox came in from 2 fields away only to hang up about 200 yds away. My m8 shot which sounded good but we couldn't find the fox. So today he went back with the labs and picked up the scent and found a good dog fox some 400 yds away with front leg missing.  A cracking evening 😁

:good:

Still having trouble at the one chicken farm so headed out Sat night. Quick check around the pens first then headed out for a look around the various fields. Spotted one heading out of a wood in my general direction. The fox was making a line straight for the first pen so I got set up and waited until she was at about 100 yards and shot her in the forehead. Adult vixen so a good start to the night. 

After about 30 minutes and some more wandering I spotted another fox across the valley. at about 280-300 yards. There was no way to get any closer so I gave a load squeak to stop it and then dropped it. I left it where it was and intended to pick it up later. 

As I was about to go and clear up I spotted another fox close to where no 2 was. Jumped into the truck and headed out to a spot that I could shoot from. Parked up and set the rifle up on the back of the truck and waited for the fox to clear some cover and down no 3 went. 

Headed out this morning before work to pick them up and take the rangefinder to check the range on no 2 . 2 More cubs (both a good size) No 2 was a 305 yard shot and no 3 was 240 yards..must be getting luckier :lol: 7 cubs and a vixen in the last couple of weeks but still some more work to do. 

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Anyone had stage fright before lol 😄😄 out last night and lit up a fox only to look at it then it wandered off 🤯 not firing on all cylinders at the minute a bit rusty. 

:lol: You have always been special mate (In a window licking kind of way of course) :lol::lol:

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Anyone had stage fright before lol 😄😄 out last night and lit up a fox only to look at it then it wandered off 🤯 not firing on all cylinders at the minute a bit rusty. 

Had one walk past me at 15 yards while after rabbits. That close it made it white out in scope and could not see it😡

Well the dementia continued last night 🤪 called a cub into 30 yds and missed *** ....Then called another which sat about 120yds so concentrated on this one and missed again 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 Started to think something wasn't right but eventually on the 3rd one I connected ..Thank God as by now I'm losing the plot. 

20190824_020856-600x800.jpg

2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well the dementia continued last night 🤪 called a cub into 30 yds and missed *** ....Then called another which sat about 120yds so concentrated on this one and missed again 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 Started to think something wasn't right but eventually on the 3rd one I connected ..Thank God as by now I'm losing the plot. 

20190824_020856-600x800.jpg

Good effort all have a off night.

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Good effort all have a off night.

Off night .......worst night I've had in 30 years.I don't seem to be in the right frame of mind at the minute ,seem to be hesitant and having guilt feelings. Would be quite happy lamping and calling and someone else can shoot🤪

4 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Off night .......worst night I've had in 30 years.I don't seem to be in the right frame of mind at the minute ,seem to be hesitant and having guilt feelings. Would be quite happy lamping and calling and someone else can shoot🤪

Sorry to here that bud. To be fair it is not like you to miss them. Do you think you have been trying to hard? I know you said there had not been many about? Sometimes it can get bloody frustrating putting in the effort and not seeing them.

You been on any bucks since the rut?

41 minutes ago, oowee said:

I saw three top of a farm track with cattle behind (whilst I had rifle), two on newly cut wheat stubble and two on fresh cut grass but only had the thermal. Very frustrating. 

I see you as one of the most competent rifle shooter I have been with. I taught you so much and you listened intently took everything onboard........

But I forgot to mention take a rifle with you when you go out😂

14 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Sorry to here that bud. To be fair it is not like you to miss them. Do you think you have been trying to hard? I know you said there had not been many about? Sometimes it can get bloody frustrating putting in the effort and not seeing them.

You been on any bucks since the rut?

I think with the first 1 at 30 yds it's as if you tell yourself it's in the bag before actually taking the shot , I just presumed it was a certainty. The 2 nd one  I couldn't have tried any harder , cant work it out. Went out last night to redeem myself but never saw a fox just roe and badgers. Not shot any roe myself but out with my mate last weekend who shot 2 bucks in half an hour.

Sat at a new permission this afternoon bunny bashing when l saw a little ginger face in the hedgerow at 100 yd’s away, it was looking all around and l tried squeaking it in to no avail for about 10 minutes and then it disappeared.

Looks like this permission could prove very fruitful in the coming weeks 😋

Out with Bumpy last night trying to learn some new land. I have all the maps and have driven it in the day but there are so many options and gates and  it goes on. Anyways we went in the gates where I could remember what was what and we saw lots of foxes (this time we were tooled up ready).

1st farm long drive to yard and there were a couple of foxes on the end with cattle behind. We walked quietly down and managed to bag one to the left. Bumpy using his new 008 (looks very good). The other was playing cat and mouse amongst the cattle and clearly did not want to leave. Bumpy was straight in with the milkers and against my better judgement decided I better go to keep an eye on him. Unfortunately the calling attracted hundreds of cattle and soon we were surrounded. Bumpy tried to make me walk at the back but a quick side step and I was off for the safe side of the electric fence leaving him to take his chances. 

Off to farm 2 and some cut wheat looked promising and squeaking bought an easy for to 80 yards or so and I dropped it with the .223. 

On to next farm and and all we see are badgers and hares. Strange, no foxes, as it was cut grass and a field of 100 acres plus. 

Next farm and we spot a fox at 40 yards over the gate but by the time we had got out and got the kit it was sitting down at an oblique angle maybe 100 yds out. Then the fog came in and we could not get a clear picture. Bumpy climbed the gate and stalked to 50 yds or so but it was off to sit in the hedge further up so we left it. 

Next farm to a very isolated field and as soon as we started calling in came a fox. He came right into maybe 40yds and was pole axed with a shot from the hmr. Another call and this brings one in from the right that made a run in and stopped and then a sharp exit. The fog is playing its part and we need to be sure of the back stop and its away. Another call and another fox. This one is wary and up and down bottom of the far bank. Not so far but the fog is messing with the site picture and try as we might we don't get a shot. We call it a night and go to pick the last fox and can't find it :blush:. We must have looked for 20 mins but no joy. 

This weeks mission is to get out over the farms in daylight and try to memorise access and egress and what roads go where. 

Pard 008 worked very well and am very impressed so far. More testing soon. We would of made a good number had it not been for the fog. So thick by the end could not see the gateway 40 yards behind. Great team effort and in all fairness after not having a night out on the foxes together for a while I had forgot how well it works one spotting one shooting. All foxes came in to hand calls aswell with some great responses. 

Good effort all round boys. 

Managed another 3 on Saturday night. Dog fox in one of the pens burying a freshly killed chicken,  90 yard chest shot, cub across the valley at about 300 yards and then a vixen off the sticks at about 50 yards. Farmer is happy which is good but a few more to catch up with before I can give them a break. A fair few of the farms have cleared the crops or 3rd cut of silage so I need to get out a bit more . I watched 3 red kites at ours yesterday whilst the farmer next door was silaging, stunning birds.