WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, bang bang birdy said:

Dropped my lad of for scouts in the woods where I shoot (camp fires and cooking) left him at 715pm and walked down to one of my favourite seats on the edge of the woods had a dog fox come in to the caller at 830pm. Walked back up and picked the boy up at 845pm.

2E13C2EF-4E35-401D-A323-D0854A11C76A.jpeg

:good:nice when shooting and the social life fit together. 

300 acres of cleared grass so out last night. Pretty quiet as expected, but one must have followed me across the field so only picked her up when I did the final check before heading onto the next field. Set the sticks up and squeaked her in then she got spooked and legged it across the field before a last look and 58 grain .243 put her on the deck. Nice vixen but not a nice photo due to some extensive bullet damage. 

Had a look out to a permission for the first time this season and had a great night. 6.30pm spotted a fox lying in a bracken bed just its head showing, it was looking straight at me so took the shot at 200 yds and over it went , watched it lying dead for a few mins before going to pick up and miraculously it flicked itself down the banking into thick bracken and I couldn't find it 😡 On to next stand and called in 4 shooting 3 of them but last one came in behind me downwind. 

20190921_224120-600x800.jpg

Called a dog fox on next stand shot off sticks , then another dog fox on next stand which called a dream , nice and steady . Did call another but it also came in from behind downwind.  Great night of foxing 😁😁😁😁😁 

20190922_001028-600x800.jpg

9 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Had a look out to a permission for the first time this season and had a great night. 6.30pm spotted a fox lying in a bracken bed just its head showing, it was looking straight at me so took the shot at 200 yds and over it went , watched it lying dead for a few mins before going to pick up and miraculously it flicked itself down the banking into thick bracken and I couldn't find it 😡 On to next stand and called in 4 shooting 3 of them but last one came in behind me downwind. 

Called a dog fox on next stand shot off sticks , then another dog fox on next stand which called a dream , nice and steady . Did call another but it also came in from behind downwind.  Great night of foxing 😁😁😁😁😁 

Good work getting in amongst them now👍

Had no luck last week hit one Monday which I could not find after half hour of searching😡

Called one in Friday but would not present a shot and sat in front of a house😡

Shot some rabbits which all had signs of mixy😡

Not a good week lol

On 22/09/2019 at 10:09, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Good job Mark. 

Managed 3 on Saturday night . 2 dogs and a vixen. Left the thermal and went old school with the lamp...Not as efficient as the thermal but more fun. I had to laugh as I spotted some eye shine, over to the NV and there was a pair of badgers, I watched them for about 10 seconds and a fox popped out in between them . The nearest badger certainly shifted when I put a round in the side of the fox :lol: I reckon he broke the 10 second mark for a 100 metre dash, the furthest badger didnt seem bothered by proceedings. 

Farmer will be happy ..when he comes back of holiday and I can tell him. 

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Nice one Mike just goes to show you don't need all that expensive kit 🤪

Very true mate lol. I think thermal is great and makes life a lot easier with tricky foxes. However I do prefer getting out with the lamp (though I still take the rifle with the NV). There was no pressure on this farm as the foxes dont cause any harm until March/April. I always like to make a start at this time of the year to give me a good head start. 

14 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

I love to see those ruby eyes light up and watch them come in , that is the buzz for me. Just spoke to the farmer and he told me where another 3 litters are 😁🦊🦊🦊

Very true mate. No 3 was chewing on a sheeps ear ..fair play he was trying to get it off the sheeps head with some fair force (sheep was dead by the way lol). A 58 grain in the forehead stopped him. 

Looks like your fears of no foxes has disappeared. Keep up the good work. 

Trying for one tonight spotted near the partridge pen , hopefully it will put in an appearance 😁

Good luck mate. Weather here has been vile so looks like evenings will be spent with wiring and plasterboarding. The mansion is so plush that we now need to wash up in the bath and  have to take the shower out on the weekend to make the utility room bigger.....I love being lord of the manor :lol:

Well we got the fox which has been pestering the partridges, turned out to be an old vixen with no front teeth and a broken canine. After 45 mins of calling and nothing put on vixen mating call and had her come in straight away nice and steady to around 100 yds.😁

Nice one Mark :good: 

46 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Very good sir. I am having the bad luck curse. Spent last night checking 3 different farms. Saw plenty of roe and badgers. But not a single fox. Weird even my magical hand could not get a response last night lol

I am sure your luck will change soon , we all have bare patches especially me 😄😄

17 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Very good sir. I am having the bad luck curse. Spent last night checking 3 different farms. Saw plenty of roe and badgers. But not a single fox. Weird even my magical hand could not get a response last night lol

Now what were you doing with the magical hand Ed...I hope Grant wasnt anywhere near :lol:

We went out last night and were astounded by how many foxes were about. The weather was good, no moon and a decent breeze. We had 4 foxes in the bag within the first 30 minutes! A bit of a quiet spell for an hour then another 5 presented themselves. Must have seen at least twice that amount, but 9 in 4 hours is an all time record for the pair of us. 

6 dogs and 3 vixens.