Fox club

WelshMike

1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Modern technology,  you should try it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

This reminds me of a story. My dad and I took a guy out with us lamping one night. Nice bloke but never been shooting or anything before. So my dads explanation was we put about 20 long extension leads together from farm workshop. Drag them round the field behind us with a light connected...

Guy was a bit taken back but took it all in😂

I think we let him carry the car battery in a bucket at that time.

We tried many different things golf trolleys,buckets with webbing handles, rucksacks with padding straps etc etc. But I look back now and laugh carrying a car battery a great big lamp. Technology has changed so much. Grant bought me a torch recently for less than 20 notes I think. It will throw a beam better than any old lamp we had and weighs nothing lol

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out last night...a bit of a farce as I havent been out for a while lol. 

Got to the chicken sheds and the one that normally has visitors was lit up like a football pitch..fortunately the farmer turned up to turn the lights off after about 5 mins. Within 10 seconds of him driving off a fox appears the far side of the fence. I get the rifle set up and the battery in the external IR is flat...the internal ir is rubbish so I have to wait for the very grainy looking fox to come close enough for a shot...down he goes so a good start. Good size dog fox. 

I headed off to the far side of the farm, look back through the thermal and there is another fox coming out of the pen next to my truck...cheeky sod. I got set up as I had a fair idea the fox would follow the bank down into the field I was in and head for the pool. After watching it approach and getting close enough for another poor image shot....I missed. The fox hurtled towards me, must have sensed I was there when it was about 10 foot away, turned and legged it back across the field, stopped and caught a .243 round in the side of the neck....phew, adult vixen who I have been after for a while. I then realised that my ammo pouch was back at home....so thought I better go home to bed before I saw anything else that I couldnt see through the scope lol 

Farmer is happy especially as the local hunt went through on the weekend...what a fine job they do ...not :lol:

5 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

This reminds me of a story. My dad and I took a guy out with us lamping one night. Nice bloke but never been shooting or anything before. So my dads explanation was we put about 20 long extension leads together from farm workshop. Drag them round the field behind us with a light connected...

Guy was a bit taken back but took it all in😂

I think we let him carry the car battery in a bucket at that time.

We tried many different things golf trolleys,buckets with webbing handles, rucksacks with padding straps etc etc. But I look back now and laugh carrying a car battery a great big lamp. Technology has changed so much. Grant bought me a torch recently for less than 20 notes I think. It will throw a beam better than any old lamp we had and weighs nothing lol

🤣🤣 I remember the days when I started lamping , connecting a car lamp to a lead acid battery. My trousers and Barbour jacket had plenty holes due to the acid from the battery. Then progressed to a lazerlite lamp with red filter , the dogs danglies. Then came the Lightforce with amber filter ,brilliant and now led torches. Still cant bring myself to thermal unless I win the lottery and get a pulsar thermion 🤪

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

Out last night...a bit of a farce as I havent been out for a while lol. 

Got to the chicken sheds and the one that normally has visitors was lit up like a football pitch..fortunately the farmer turned up to turn the lights off after about 5 mins. Within 10 seconds of him driving off a fox appears the far side of the fence. I get the rifle set up and the battery in the external IR is flat...the internal ir is rubbish so I have to wait for the very grainy looking fox to come close enough for a shot...down he goes so a good start. Good size dog fox. 

I headed off to the far side of the farm, look back through the thermal and there is another fox coming out of the pen next to my truck...cheeky sod. I got set up as I had a fair idea the fox would follow the bank down into the field I was in and head for the pool. After watching it approach and getting close enough for another poor image shot....I missed. The fox hurtled towards me, must have sensed I was there when it was about 10 foot away, turned and legged it back across the field, stopped and caught a .243 round in the side of the neck....phew, adult vixen who I have been after for a while. I then realised that my ammo pouch was back at home....so thought I better go home to bed before I saw anything else that I couldnt see through the scope lol 

Farmer is happy especially as the local hunt went through on the weekend...what a fine job they do ...not 

👍at least you got a couple dude 🦊🦊

19 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

🤣🤣 I remember the days when I started lamping , connecting a car lamp to a lead acid battery. My trousers and Barbour jacket had plenty holes due to the acid from the battery. Then progressed to a lazerlite lamp with red filter , the dogs danglies. Then came the Lightforce with amber filter ,brilliant and now led torches. Still cant bring myself to thermal unless I win the lottery and get a pulsar thermion 🤪

👍at least you got a couple dude 🦊🦊

Cheers Mark. Nice to have time to get out..finally. Hoping I can get out again over the weekend. 

Thermal is rubbish mate, waste of money and doesnt help...honest :lol: stick with the lamp mate, much better. 

On 07/12/2019 at 12:07, FOXHUNTER1 said:

No point in having thermal m8 as no foxes up here to speak of, although did call one in last night under the bright moon , screamed in from behind but was coming downwind to caller and winded me and scarpered quick 😡 hope you have some success over the weekend 👍

LOL, you shoot them all thats why theres nowt about :lol: The weather here was vile so no chance to get out. Heading out tonight to see whats what. 

45 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

I wish m8 , no seriously we do not have the numbers up North like down South. I envy the southern boys who have an endless supply like Essex, Kent , Cornwall, Wales etc....

Most of them are RSPCA sponsored tame foxes though mate. Ed gets his monies worth from his membership :lol:

12 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

🤣🤣

Had phone call today from farmer who lost some hens so had a look tonight even though full moon and frosty, wasn't hopeful but did call 2 but both sat in woods looking at me with no shot on , neither would call from the wood.

Typical lol. I saw 3 last night but it may as well have been daylight so I had no chance of a shot......

After going away to meet Mickey mouse and his friends I needed to get out. First farm I saw three different foxes but could get no where near them. Second one spotted a fox in amongst sheep but walked away and did not appear. Waited a while longer and spotted one a long way off on another farm I shoot opposite. Started hand calling and it started to come over a field ditch and across another. In amongst the field with the sheep I got it in sights but would not stop with all my shouting barking etc. It Carried along same path as the other. So got in the truck cut it off other end of farm. set vixen on heat fox came in went away to other hedge and I missed😡😡

Carried on to another farm saw one opposite that would not respond. So tried one more patch and found one lied up on a bank. Managed a half tidy head shot at 150 on a old vixen.

Frustrating night after missing one but saw a lot and loads of roe. So hopefully will be busy next few weeks 

20191217_081841.jpg

Finally got out & onto a charlie after what seems like an age. The farms are all way too wet to drive, so I resorted to walking with rifle, lamp & sticks. A scan around the field behind the main farm buildings & adjacent to the main pheasant pen showed eyes that started trotting away. However, the wind was firmly in my favour so I set up on the sticks and had a little squeak...

30 seconds later, this big old boy was running towards me down the hedgerow from 200yds away! It took a bark to stop him & a 58gr out of the .243 into the chest  to drop him. He’s the biggest, heaviest charlie I’ve ever shot, a proper old chunk. 

F1F8F211-0820-4815-9AF2-55E6C4703ABD.jpeg

6880E3CD-DC77-4282-85CB-D6F73CE6E716.jpeg

Edited by Bumble

Well I eventually had an early Christmas present last night 😁 called a vixen in with vixen on heat call ,,,no pic as phone flat. But my night was marred as I called a 2nd in with dog fox mating call , steamed in and I had to stop him with a squeak,  quick shot which felt good but couldn't find it 😡Glad to get 1 after the drought. 

5 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Well I eventually had an early Christmas present last night 😁 called a vixen in with vixen on heat call ,,,no pic as phone flat. But my night was marred as I called a 2nd in with dog fox mating call , steamed in and I had to stop him with a squeak,  quick shot which felt good but couldn't find it 😡Glad to get 1 after the drought. 

Well done. been to busy to get out recently