Fox club

WelshMike

Hi Tonker

What a result mate. Well done indeed, that will help preserve a few more game and song birds

Just got in, BLANK night tonight lads, not a rabbit or fox seen. ?????

See three Newcastle supporters having a tidy old scrap over something in a copse in the bottom of a steep valley going to have a look in daylight to see what is was all over

It lasted over half an hour then it just stopped and one walked away and the others drifted off in the opposite direction

I was still getting a heat signature of something rabbit size from where they were fighting 30 mins later. ?????

Patrol

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It turned out to be a chicken they were fighting over, nearest chicken pen over 500 yds away, one of em carried that aways

First chicken stealer badger seen around here for a while, unless it was a cache old Charlie boy had stashed awaiting consumption

Patrol

Had a couple of geese killed Thursday morning so I moved my tower and got into place by 11pm Friday. At 2.50am a good sized cub turns up and starts chasing the geese around as soon as he stopped bang an easy 45 yard shot. I had seen a fox previously on the ducks at 3am and as soon as the lamp hit it, it was gone and it must have been 800 yards away. So I drove to the field and just used nv it was there in the same pen.It was a dark night so I knew I could get to within 100 yards or closer with no problems ( the ducks make quite a racket). As I walked down the field that early morning mist came up so could not see a thing through nv. So foxy survived another day.

Sheep don't compare to a woman when it comes to disturbance WelshMike!

My wifes closest friend has a smallholding. Horses, sheep, chickens, etc. Couple of weeks ago she told us a fox had killed several of her chickens - in the day time - and had also got sixteen of the farmers next door - also in the day. So I went and had a look. Couldn't do anything as her grass was up around my whatsits and rape was around three sides of the propert. Couldn't see a thing.

Saturday she phoned to say her fields had been cut so off I went about an hour before dark. Got there and did a bino's recce and checked the wind. Set my truck and gear up in the yard. All NV stuff. Got the hatch off the Landy. Put the 22/250 up on the rack and loaded it. Donned my overhead face veil - I have a long white beard - donned my dark jacket and hat and drove slowly out to my position on the edge of one of the meadows. Parked and secured the internal drapes over front and back windows. Climbed over the seat into the rear of the truck. Put on my black gloves and gently eased myself up onto the ironing board seat that enables me to have my head just clear of the 360 degree gun rack. All quiet and no disturbance.

Look around with the binos and all quiet with hares and rabbits feeding on the cut grass and the dusk gently descending on rural Suffolk.

"Cooey"! "Are you alright"? "Would you like a cup of tea before you start shooting"?

I turned around and looked over my right shoulder. There is the wifes friend striding across the meadow from the house in flipflops, a brilliantly white skirt and a yellow blouse. Now it must be said that she is a looker, even though we are all getting on a bit, but hell this is foxing time.

No alternative. Climb down and climb out. Go and have a mardle. Decline the tea but accept the kiss and a cuddle when she eventually leaves. (20 minutes later).

Climb back into truck and settle down again after she gets back to the house where she and her husband have guests staying - before anyone gets any other ideas - and carry on foxing. (I'm old but not stupid).

Had to wait for two and a half hours before Reynard put in an appearance. Heading straight towards the henhouse. Quick squeak, bang, dead dog fox.

Waited another two hours but nothing else appeared.

Home at 3am.

Women - I just love them but there is a time and a place...

:lol::lol::lol: priceless, what a fantastic story. great result in all ways by the sounds of it :good:

Tonker- looks like you have been busy buddy and doing some fine work.

I have been out after the crows of late so early mornings instead of late nights. I am also taking Foxhunter1 out in a couple of weeks and he said he will cry if I shoot all the foxes before he comes down. Whilst I would find that hilarious I think it is a little cruel so am trying to leave them alone unless I have any particularly badly behaved ones :lol:

Just packing it in, rain on for an hour then off for an hour all night

Finished off me flask, back home - one hard earned dog fox in the bag

Dry the kit off - start afresh again tomorrow with no damp spots hopefully

Going to have a first look at the fallow bucks this evening, see what's about

Patrol

Edited by Patrol

Mike I think you have shot them all already ....don't worry bud as long as we get some crows :good:

:lol: no mate...just had a call about a chicken killing ginger devil...so off out in the rain tonight to sit out for a few hours and hopefully catch up with it/them.

Were you going to come down on the Sat morning or the friday night?

Just packing it in, rain on for an hour then off for an hour all night

Finished off me flask, back home - one hard earned dog fox in the bag

Dry the kit off - start afresh again tomorrow with no damp spots hopefully

Going to have a first look at the fallow bucks this evening, see what's about

Patrol

Well done on the fox mate and good luck on the fallow :good:

Last nights events....

Got a call saying a fox had killed some chickens at a free range egg unit close to home. Got there about 9 and waited until dark watching the field where a few dead chickens had been left. No sightings. As it got dark the rain started and the wind picked up so not ideal. I had parked my pickup in a spot where I could rest the rifle on the roof. Also I could leave the rifle in the back of the truck to save it getting soaked. At about 10.30 I decided that as the visibility was rubbish and I was soaked I would head home. Last flick of the torch and there was a fox about 60 yards away. Rifle onto the roof of the truck, NV on, round away, dead fox. 3/4 grown vixen cub. Spotted another flash of eyes about 400 yards away but the weather got worse so I decided to call it quits and head back out tonight.

I was out with Ed again last night, and having had no joy at one farm we went to another. we scanned from our normal place,(nothing) so decided to drive the fields a little.

A couple of fields in and came to a field not cut, so couldn't go on, so we turned around and go elsewhere. When we got back to the first field Ed picked up a pair of eyes cutting across the top of the ground, behind a couple of trees that stand out in the ground. He also scanned the ground and picked up another set a long ways off behind the slurry lagoons.

Back on the first and still there working it's way around the hedge. I was watching it through the photon all the way. The only trouble is as there are houses further on in that direction there was never going to be a shot on unless he came a lot farther around.

Ed swung the lamp around to see if the far off fox had moved in response to his calling, and he was just trotting up over a bank around 130yds away.

Ed shouted Oyee (he's west country you know). Trouble was I wasn't ready and by the time I'd turned and got set he was just starting to move off again.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger, if truth were known I yanked it because he was off, and heard the contact, I actually hit it farther back than I aimed with one of my 50gr sierra spitzer homeloads so I knew we would find it, but it made about 15 yds (not proud of that). Anyway that is another one down, I'm out on a chicken farm this evening to try for another raider.

post-64160-0-72878800-1470327076_thumb.jpg

That's Ed's plates of meat, always gets in the picture if he can

Edited by tonker

Me and a friend got a call from our local farmer one day to say that his chickens had been vanishing one by one over night. ( this farm is well looked after from a terrier man and ive only seen one fox in 4 years. ) To say i was slightly excited to have this call for once would be an understatement and we both jumped at the opportunity to sit out with the shotguns.

We arrived at about 5.30pm and spoke to the farmer about where he had seen it over the past few days lurking round. It was coming from a woodland with a brook course running through the middle that backed straight onto one of his yards ( this wood also has a small pheasant release pen ) . But no problems with pheasants as of yet, we could easily spot the run it was using to come out of the woodland to the back of the yard and decided to set up just slightly off ( 30 yards ) to the side of it ( down wind ). I put the Icotec Fox caller out in the field the other side of the yard with a dead rabbit ( attached to some fishing line to its hind leg ) and put the mouse call on as it is just a higher pitched version of the cotton tail.

Within literally 10 mins the vixen appeared but was very hesitant to come out at first this must be 6:45 pm by now after a long talk and thoughts on setting up. It sat on the edge of the woodland so i slowly turned the volume of the call down and slightly tugged the fishing line to show a bit of movent in the rabbit. at this moment the vixen came running out almost to quick and well it got 2 42g 3's from layvale ( full choke ) pretty swiftly at about 35 yards.

I know that this will never happen again on here though and the terrier man was not very happy but like the farmer said it needs to be done whether it was him or us !

Not good with storys but hey hoe thought id share my most recent as i always prefer to sit for one with a shotgun over going out with a rifle !

the farm is on the back left of the picture and the icotec was 30 yards out in the right of the field . The vixen appeared about 40 yards up the edge of the woodland on the background :)

just need the lure attachment for the icotec now :good:

post-76757-0-31734100-1470402820_thumb.png

Enough of the foot fetish talk boys :lol::lol::lol:

Another one down mate thats the main thing.

I managed to get back out to the chicken farm last night. All quiet for the first hour between 10.30-11.30 with me sat watching a couple of fields and giving it the odd flick of the torch to see if anything was about. I decided to go for a walk around the rest of the farm. I heard a vixen calling but could tell which side of the river she was. Got set up on a bank with a good view over a couple of fields , cub distress on and within 30 seconds there was a flash of eyes, over to the nv, out comes.....a black cat......not impressed. to cut a long story short i caught glimpse of 1 fox but not long enough for a shot so left at 1.30 and headed to another nearby farm. turned up, quick lamp, fox seen, 10 seconds later fox dead. nice fat dog fox cub. i cant post pic at moment as computer is seriously slow.

Me and a friend got a call from our local farmer one day to say that his chickens had been vanishing one by one over night. ( this farm is well looked after from a terrier man and ive only seen one fox in 4 years. ) To say i was slightly excited to have this call for once would be an understatement and we both jumped at the opportunity to sit out with the shotguns.

We arrived at about 5.30pm and spoke to the farmer about where he had seen it over the past few days lurking round. It was coming from a woodland with a brook course running through the middle that backed straight onto one of his yards ( this wood also has a small pheasant release pen ) . But no problems with pheasants as of yet, we could easily spot the run it was using to come out of the woodland to the back of the yard and decided to set up just slightly off ( 30 yards ) to the side of it ( down wind ). I put the Icotec Fox caller out in the field the other side of the yard with a dead rabbit ( attached to some fishing line to its hind leg ) and put the mouse call on as it is just a higher pitched version of the cotton tail.

Within literally 10 mins the vixen appeared but was very hesitant to come out at first this must be 6:45 pm by now after a long talk and thoughts on setting up. It sat on the edge of the woodland so i slowly turned the volume of the call down and slightly tugged the fishing line to show a bit of movent in the rabbit. at this moment the vixen came running out almost to quick and well it got 2 42g 3's from layvale ( full choke ) pretty swiftly at about 35 yards.

I know that this will never happen again on here though and the terrier man was not very happy but like the farmer said it needs to be done whether it was him or us !

Not good with storys but hey hoe thought id share my most recent as i always prefer to sit for one with a shotgun over going out with a rifle !

the farm is on the back left of the picture and the icotec was 30 yards out in the right of the field . The vixen appeared about 40 yards up the edge of the woodland on the background :)

Well done mate. Much more sociable then shooing them at night thats for sure.

Not been out much recently due to the weather and just being busy with stuff! So thought I'd take the chance Friday night to have a look about.

managed to call 2 cubs in together, taking the furthest first and the second ran towards me from the sound of the impact. A change of location and another 2 dog foxes within 10 min of each other come to investigate the caller, all came into the tenterfield type whistle and were taken with the .204 using 32g v max. Had a strange bullet exit on the last dog, shot at 80 yards just behind the shoulder it exited the other side leaving a hole about 10 mm diameter but had pulled out most the lungs with it all smashed up.

post-51912-0-99181400-1470574313_thumb.jpeg

post-51912-0-41156000-1470574366_thumb.jpeg

post-51912-0-64540600-1470574422_thumb.jpeg

Not been out much recently due to the weather and just being busy with stuff! So thought I'd take the chance Friday night to have a look about.

managed to call 2 cubs in together, taking the furthest first and the second ran towards me from the sound of the impact. A change of location and another 2 dog foxes within 10 min of each other come to investigate the caller, all came into the tenterfield type whistle and were taken with the .204 using 32g v max. Had a strange bullet exit on the last dog, shot at 80 yards just behind the shoulder it exited the other side leaving a hole about 10 mm diameter but had pulled out most the lungs with it all smashed up.

Well done buddy. Sorry to hear you havent been out much recently but another good result as expected. Do you ever draw a blank? :)

Out with my mate the other night , managed 3 in the same field ..........

Last one called great with the red fox pups call

trio%20001_zpsovlnlenn.jpg

Well done mark. I am surprised by one thing.......that you have any mates :lol::lol::lol:

Very artistic pic from Robwalker sets a new standard for merit.

Foosa with a pretty comprehensive traditional layout and Foxhunter1 with a nice triple.

Well done lads.

Need some nice pics from you buddy...and less foot fetish comments :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yep, very rarely get a blank however, a few weeks ago I think I had about 6 blanks in a row, just bad luck and a few lamp shy fox making things very frustrating, a nv spotter soon got me back on track. I've got a xq50 thermal on order and should be here in a week or so, looking forward to that!